Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Powerful "I'm not owned!" energy there Red.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Allison literally scheduled "lose my virginity" in her day planner. The only one forcing Allison to have sex against her will was Allison.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Yeah, it's been a long while since I read the beginning of the comic, but I remember Zaid constantly reassuring Allison that they could stop if she was uncomfortable and that she didn't have to force herself if she didn't want to have sex, and it was Allison insisting, "No! I'm okay, really, let's keep going."

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

I think it's one of the odder things about this comic's community, that people keep trying to paint Zaid as some sort of bad person, when by my reading he's always only ever come across as literally "just some guy."

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Same thing

Kalli fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 17, 2021

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Alright I read the beginning of this comic like, a year ago. I guess the lesson is never stop reading

or never read

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
I feel like the more I look back on interactions with Zoss and JS the more this has clearly been building up to be 'Zoss tried something different, maybe he did it because of JS, maybe he meant to give it to Allison, it doesn't really matter because she has it now and Zoss is rolling with it regardless.' The real question is what is going to happen next, and I think for all of Jags memories about the cycles he doesn't know because this time is actually different as a result of whatever happened wrt smashing the key into Allison's forehead.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
for the record zaid's in the comic for like three pages at the very start before he gets kidnapped and only exists again relatively recently with the tournament arc, so it's not super hard to go back and look

it definitely could come across as him being pushy, but they're both super awkward and it's clear from later in the comic allison's pushing herself to it more than anything else

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

flatluigi posted:

for the record zaid's in the comic for like three pages at the very start before he gets kidnapped and only exists again relatively recently with the tournament arc, so it's not super hard to go back and look

it definitely could come across as him being pushy, but they're both super awkward and it's clear from later in the comic allison's pushing herself to it more than anything else

I dunno, I mean yeah Allison's the primary one pushing herself but Zaid's deffo not looking good there. Like when he offers to stop it's clearly very passive-aggressive complete with eye roll and he just pounces when she gives the (tentative, hesitant) go ahead. Just very pushy.

Also "You're pretty hot when you're freaking out" :doit:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Oh yeah Zaid is not boyfriend material, when you overhear stuff about him from her roommates it's basically 'Zaid is a playboy, what a jerk' so I suspect Allison basically went 'who is nearby, available, and acceptable?' to herself and decided Zaid was the lowest common denominator.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mazerunner posted:

I dunno, I mean yeah Allison's the primary one pushing herself but Zaid's deffo not looking good there. Like when he offers to stop it's clearly very passive-aggressive complete with eye roll and he just pounces when she gives the (tentative, hesitant) go ahead. Just very pushy.

Also "You're pretty hot when you're freaking out" :doit:

yeah he's not date raping Allison (because she is very determined to go through with it for her own reasons) but he's probably date raped someone

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Zaid spent a few panels as a glorified centerpiece at the conference of the Demiurges in Book 1.

(I wandered back to the start of the comic and had to force myself not to read the entire thing through in one night...)

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

oobey posted:

I think it's one of the odder things about this comic's community, that people keep trying to paint Zaid as some sort of bad person, when by my reading he's always only ever come across as literally "just some guy."

Like, 3 posts later:

Straight White Shark posted:

yeah he's not date raping Allison (because she is very determined to go through with it for her own reasons) but he's probably date raped someone

Prophecy, fulfilled.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Like, 3 posts later:

Prophecy, fulfilled.

yeah, weird, how strange that people can have differing opinions

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

One More Fat Nerd posted:

Prophecy, fulfilled.

i have some bad news w/r/t the number of date rapes committed by "just some guy"

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A successful framing of Zaid as an ordinary dude can certainly still leave readers with the impression that he's a bad guy, at least among those readers who already believe that ordinary dudes are bad guys. However, ordinary dudes are positioned as deserving of sympathy elsewhere in the story.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Called shot: Alison's trans masc. No man of woman born etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hostile V posted:

Nah, the point is to get as far away from the traditional hero story as possible and break the railroaded path clean over their knee. That'd be just putting things back on the old path.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
I bet one of the big differences in this cycle is that Mottom and Mammon are still alive. I think every other Heir chewed through the first six like video game bosses before Jagganoth pulped them.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

So where do you think this is going? 7 Demiurge teamup + aliciochain vs metatron?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Rahul posted:

So where do you think this is going? 7 Demiurge teamup + aliciochain vs metatron?

Talking down Jagg seems to be the only option, so I hope they all team up. That or Zoss shows up.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

FuturePastNow posted:

Alright I read the beginning of this comic like, a year ago. I guess the lesson is never stop reading
To master the art of reading, this.

quote:

or never read
To master the art of royalty,

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SpaceViking posted:

I bet one of the big differences in this cycle is that Mottom and Mammon are still alive. I think every other Heir chewed through the first six like video game bosses before Jagganoth pulped them.

Its weird though because Jadis's prophecy still very clearly had White Chain and Cio in there, which I don't see them choosing to follow Zaid around (Cio for sure wouldn't, and WC could go either way I guess).

edit: by which I mean its possible that the way the cycle works is sort of how its going now? But maybe without the voltron lady taking an island into space

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Mazerunner posted:

yeah, weird, how strange that people can have differing opinions

“He isn’t date raping Allison but he definitely date raped someone” is an insanely weird thing to post given the tiny amount of lines Zaid has, and how unremarkable they are at that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if the loops have been changing as Zoss tried different things and the heir thing is only relatively recent, and Jaggs doesn't realise yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if the loops have been changing as Zoss tried different things and the heir thing is only relatively recent, and Jaggs doesn't realise yet.

Jaggs only seems to have a slightly-better idea of what happens, but not the context of why or how. He's expecting this to go as it's always been, lacking the context that (presumably) this time the Heir/Hero/Protagonist hasn't JRPG'ed their way through six prior realms and slain the other Demiurges first. And is female, along with with a cadre of allies burning with their own terrible fires.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

“He isn’t date raping Allison but he definitely date raped someone” is an insanely weird thing to post given the tiny amount of lines Zaid has, and how unremarkable they are at that.

I dunno,

"You're pretty hot when you're freaking out"

and

Allison screams in terror

"Now you're getting into it!"

are kind of very uh, remarkable, and economical in word count

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Hostile V posted:

As much as I'd kill for more trans representation in good comics, there isn't enough time left in the story for that kind of self-discovery to grow naturally, and trying to rush it would just undercut the long and difficult journey White Chain had to take to self-actualize and transition.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Mazerunner posted:

I dunno,

"You're pretty hot when you're freaking out"

and

Allison screams in terror

"Now you're getting into it!"

are kind of very uh, remarkable, and economical in word count

The only thing i have to say about that, is that this poo poo puts him down as a creeper.

Edit: Allison does refer to him as a creeper.

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 18, 2021

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I think "Zaid is just a creepy dude" and "Zaid is the kind of guy who would commit date rape" are both valid interpretations.

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

ElMaligno posted:

The only thing i have to say about that, is that this poo poo puts him down as a creeper.

Edit: Allison does refer to him as a creeper.

hah, the tweets from that page are real https://twitter.com/TheRuthIsLoose/status/590309167031840768

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I have a real urge to rewatch Heaven Sent.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The sad part is that's the last message any of her friends or family will have from her without the knowledge that she's kicking devils in the face and turned into voltron.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Brought To You By posted:

The sad part is that's the last message any of her friends or family will have from her

I've been there and I wouldn't wish that feeling on my worst enemy.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Brought To You By posted:

The sad part is that's the last message any of her friends or family will have from her without the knowledge that she's kicking devils in the face and turned into voltron.

Do you think her next tweet will be "Wow sorry I got lost for a minute there, everything's fine!" or "People of Earth! We have defeated time itself! Enjoy your godlike powers!"

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tulip posted:

Do you think her next tweet will be "Wow sorry I got lost for a minute there, everything's fine!" or "People of Earth! We have defeated time itself! Enjoy your godlike powers!"

Well, the Silver Ladder leads the way, so I'm all for the second one.

Probably neither, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Tulip posted:

Uncaptioned selfie with Cio and White Chain in Throne or Rayuba or something.

edit: even better, selfie with Cio, White Chain and Zaid, on Rayuba, both suns in the background, captioned with "We found Zaid!!!!! lol"

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Tulip posted:

"hosed up badly. Sorry guys xxx"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Well, the Silver Ladder leads the way, so I'm all for the second one.

Probably neither, though.

Nice Awakening ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I have a real urge to rewatch Heaven Sent.
"How many seconds...are in eternity?"