Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

treat posted:

Doom 3 BFG Edition. I think nerve.wad is an available addon for the unity port, I assume that's what's on gamepass?

Barudak posted:

No rest for the living is one of the downloadable level sets for Doom 2 in the latest re-releases. Those are all free by the way so enjoy them.

I beat all 3 campaigns and I can tell you absolutely nothing concrete about it. I think there was a backstab kill system that just made it easy to kill alien players while they were stuck in that animation but I could easily be thinking of another game.

Thanks, I think my worm filled brain just automatically ignored the AddOn / Bethesda menu entirely (and mashed the "cancel" button first time for signing in). Didn't even realize that was there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I decided to give the unity port a try after your post since I have game pass, and I reflexively alt+F4'd and uninstalled the second I saw a bethesda account was required to load addon wads, so I understand how that could happen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Bioshock 2 isn't actually good, but it gives you access to the Minerva's Den DLC, which is extremely good and more or less standalone

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

haveblue posted:

Bioshock 2 isn't actually good, but it gives you access to the Minerva's Den DLC, which is extremely good and more or less standalone

This is true. It takes the refined mechanics and apply them to a much better game, and the end result is quite excellent.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Thank you for your help, all. I'd likely go towards Project Warlock, but now I'm seeing that the Serious Sam Collection is also on sale and while I've never really played 3, I do love TFE and TSE.

Gah, why so many things on sale at once?

I got that collection on Switch and it’s great other than 3 not really running that well. TFE/TSE run great though and at a stable 60 even on graphics mode.

Project Warlock is pretty good but it’s missing personality and it feels a little generic. Still impressive for being something someone so young pretty much made by themselves though. I look forward to whatever they do next.

EDIT: Where the hell is Dusk on Switch? Have they said anything since its delay?

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 18, 2021

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
A week or two ago they said that it passed lotcheck on Twitter and mentioned it coming very soon.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Every encounter in Serious Sam 4 feels like it goes on slightly too long. Has this always been the case? It's been well over a decade since I played TFE or TSE.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gaspy Conana posted:

A week or two ago they said that it passed lotcheck on Twitter and mentioned it coming very soon.

Yay.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Every encounter in Serious Sam 4 feels like it goes on slightly too long. Has this always been the case? It's been well over a decade since I played TFE or TSE.

They sounds like Serious Sam to me. Still fun though.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Holy poo poo, they have Alien Trilogy!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I legit didn't even know it was available on something other than the Saturn

site fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 18, 2021

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

site posted:

I legit didn't even know it was available on something other than the Saturn

It was my "poo poo, I guess I'll just rent this again" pick when all the good PS1 game had already been rented.

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 18, 2021

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I had it on pc without the music on a dodgy cd rom full of games my dad procured. I should give it a play again cos baby Shoe thought it was too scary to play for too long

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I tried Alien Trilogy again recently and it was awful and I have no idea why anyone would like it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

haveblue posted:

Also, Bioshock 2 itself is pretty good, too. But also pretty buggy, on console and PC. Remember to save manually from time to time. Lost a whole level of progress on PS4.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Are there any decent gameplay overhaul mods for the BioShocks? I like the setting on all of them (even Infinite) but the combat must be some of the worst, bullet-sponge first person shooting I've played.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Vile Stuff posted:

Are there any decent gameplay overhaul mods for the BioShocks? I like the setting on all of them (even Infinite) but the combat must be some of the worst, bullet-sponge first person shooting I've played.

If someone made a mod for Infinite that let you carry all guns at once(and perhaps unified the ammo pools a bit) that would definitely get me to actually finish that game rather than run out of steam after about the third to halfway point

Also your comment about bullet sponges highlights why I usually just play on either easy or normal difficulty in most FPS games I play these days, balance above those difficulties is often horse poo poo for very silly reasons

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I do think it's funny that Ken Levine knew System Shock 2 didn't sell very well so he could reuse the big twist from it as one of the two twists in Bioshock.

Are there other shooters that do the gun/magic combo from the latter Bioshocks? I've always dug it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Are there other shooters that do the gun/magic combo from the latter Bioshocks? I've always dug it.
Clive Barker's Undying.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

treat posted:

I decided to give the unity port a try after your post since I have game pass, and I reflexively alt+F4'd and uninstalled the second I saw a bethesda account was required to load addon wads, so I understand how that could happen.
Only on consoles. On PC and Android it's possible to load your own PWADs without having to sign in I think.

I mean, I hate required signons for console games, especially single player ones. But it didn't seem unreasonable for access to the official add-ons.

Speaking of which the last was REKKR in September right? I guess they're done with them.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Only on consoles. On PC and Android it's possible to load your own PWADs without having to sign in I think.
Yup. Throw some WAD files in Users\Your Windows Username\Saved Games\id Software\DOOM 2\WADs on Windows, or Android/Data/com.Bethsoft.DOOMII/files/WADs on Android, and they'll pop up in the addons list just fine.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Speaking of which the last was REKKR in September right? I guess they're done with them.
Quoting Sponge (the dev on the official port) on Doomworld a little under a month ago:

Sponge posted:

There are more add-ons planned, but the timing might not be as regular.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Kins posted:

Clive Barker's Undying.

Underrated game. Not at all an immersive sim but still a great ride for the time.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Groovelord Neato posted:

I do think it's funny that Ken Levine knew System Shock 2 didn't sell very well so he could reuse the big twist from it as one of the two twists in Bioshock.

And then he did it again with even less effect in Infinite.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

bioshock 2 absolutely plays the best out of all of them but you're still going to be putting up with the kinda 'soft' feeling a lot of guns and powers seem to have in them. the feedback is never quite where it needs to be.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Skyrim :haw:

At a stretch, the Q3-engine Jedi games.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

shoeberto posted:

Underrated game. Not at all an immersive sim but still a great ride for the time.

and then JERICHO came out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Undying was the only game that came to mind - I should replay it sometime. If I ever stopped being a lazy rear end and sat down and started working on something of my own I'd definitely use a similar mechanic it's woefully underused.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bethesda made me make a second account yesterday because even though I'm logged in on my first still in youngblood, the website doesn't recognize it. They do good work over there

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

This is every kleer encounter in every sam game

site fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 18, 2021

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Pathways into Darkness did guns + offhand casting back in '93

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I mean, I hate required signons for console games, especially single player ones. But it didn't seem unreasonable for access to the official add-ons.

What Kins said but also Doom Zero was released this year.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Groovelord Neato posted:

Undying was the only game that came to mind - I should replay it sometime. If I ever stopped being a lazy rear end and sat down and started working on something of my own I'd definitely use a similar mechanic it's woefully underused.

My dream retro FPS project is a spiritual successor to Undying based on the Shiryou Sensen/War of the Dead MSX/PCEngine game series (after I buy the rights of course) with guns in one hand and supernatural powers in the other. :allears:

It will never happen though. :negative:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Playing through nerve.wad for the first time and I think Map 5 ("Vivisection") might instantly be one of my favourite Doom2 levels? It's got this great setup of being constantly ambushed without being cheap, and you're running around but there's very little in the way of safe cover.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That map is absolutely great. I used to use it for mod testing purposes.

Civvie11 dropped a new video for his patrons, and predictably, it's about Redneck Rampage.

laserghost fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 18, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

verbal enema posted:

and then JERICHO came out

I love like, everything about Jericho except actually playing it. It looks great, it's got that Clive Barker goodness, but it is just miserable to actually shoot anything.

Undying is woefully underrated, I would love a sequel, spiritual or otherwise.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Imagine my di-smej

Love Shovel
Apr 25, 2010
New version of Alien Armageddon is out for Duke Nukem 3D just in time for the 25th anniversary! With so much stuff added it scarcely resembles the original but I love it all the same

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
what are some good wads to play with project brutality?

i have sunlust and rush but ahhh i know there are more that sync well

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Really not enjoying alien armageddon, in large part due to how everything seems to cause particles and fire to sprout out of the ground so I can't see a drat thing. I'm not too keen on how some of Duke's weapon sprites look either. Plus the changes to the og levels fall pretty squarely on the side of horny

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone played/playing the leaked remastered version of Goldeneye. I can't get over how surreal it is to play, it might be breaking my brain

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

verbal enema posted:

what are some good wads to play with project brutality?

i have sunlust and rush but ahhh i know there are more that sync well

the japanese community map project has a lot of fun and weird maps going on and since it's decently long it makes good use of the adaptive scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone played/playing the leaked remastered version of Goldeneye. I can't get over how surreal it is to play, it might be breaking my brain

It's great! Haven't played the game in probably 15 years or so, so my playthrough of the remaster was a nice nostalgia bomb. Plus, playing with a modern Xbox controller felt so nice.