Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PIZZA.BAT posted:

code:
if(health < 0) then die();
is now
code:
if(health <= 0) then die();

Is there an actual difference? Hitting exactly 0 didn't kill them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
taking a new player through to the first mom kill was a fun ride in the new co-op mode.

also discovered the old co-op mode still exists in the game, you get it if you spawn player 2 after leaving the starting room for the first time. kinda neat you can still see the co-op baby unlocks still but boy do i not want to go back to that.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Acerbatus posted:

Is there an actual difference? Hitting exactly 0 didn't kill them?

the first bit of code will only resolve to true if the number is less than zero. if it's equal to zero it will still resolve false

the second bit of code will resolve to true if the number is less than zero OR equal to zero

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Black August posted:

yeah I'm about ready for mods to come back on so half this poo poo can be repaired back to functionality

Yeah, the thing that made Antibirth IMHO was the soundtrack and the replacement one kind of sucks.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

I mean it takes all your items except the knife piece lol, so unless you have intrinsic flight yeah it's gone

Yeah, it's super easy with the Lost or Azazel (and terrible as J&E). You can still bring Book of Virtues wisps in with you, although they don't help much except for shooting through poop faster.

Here's a fun easter egg, if you have the safety scissors you can pick up and use those super rare giant bombs that sometimes appear in the mines.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just wanted to say I unlocked the Chest and on my run to it with the short range tears and a few damage ups I was able to beat Boss Rush, Hush and Delerium as well as Isaac and Blue Baby

Entire run was me going 'why not try for it. Man this is a terrible idea my range doesn't exist' then doing it anyway.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Grapplejack posted:

I'm starting to think that Edmund is a secret Vegan, all the milk items are so bad

I just got almond milk and good lord lol

as we all know almond milk is despised by vegans

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Just learned you can randomly win the all-random secret challenge. Bought a card in the shop, for some reason it auto-activated, and instead of Temperance spawning a blood machine, it spawned the final trophy. On Depths I.

Had to give up my run on the challenge after every item pedestal spawned another 3 pedestals and I (a dumbass) kept picking them up until I got trapped.

Two avoidable stupid deaths yesterday were launching tainted forgotten forward entering a devil room and accidentally buying an item and J&E after not paying attention and walking into the door for the mausoleum.

Esau had the chewed leaf too.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

watho posted:

as we all know almond milk is despised by vegans

Big Milk made a stink about the name of Almond/Soy/Oat Milk in Germany and they made a law about it even though everyone said... "nobody's ever going to make that mistake" but welp, here we are, laughing at that other dude

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah, the thing that made Antibirth IMHO was the soundtrack and the replacement one kind of sucks.

It's not that the base game music sucks, but most of it doesn't fit the energy of the game at all. I don't want grinding ambience, I want music with energy and mania that gets me into the beat of dodging and shooting. Danny did that great, as did Mudeth, but the base game music is too slow and background to feel it while playing. There's some good exceptions in there- I like Diptera Sonata, Matricide (of which Living in the Light has some parts of), Ventricide, Abyss, Duress, Everlasting Hymn, and Sketches of Pain. The new stuff has some good ones with River of Despair, Fissure, Stargazer, and the insanely good Living in the Light. The rest mostly blends into noise soup for me.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Is there a trick to getting through Mother's first phase? I cannot for the life of me dodge those fuckin worm-like lines of bullets, no matter how hard I try.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Relyssa posted:

Is there a trick to getting through Mother's first phase? I cannot for the life of me dodge those fuckin worm-like lines of bullets, no matter how hard I try.

I don't have trouble if I just dodge the direction that they're curving. If they curve counterclockwise, I just go that way and never change direction, just modulate speed. If you go against the grain, you're gonna have a bad time.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Co-op Tainted Maggie and Tainted Keeper are an incredible combo.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Relyssa posted:

I still get hit there sometimes, but I feel like it's perfectly dodgeable if your reflexes are up to it. Just a matter of :getgud:.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So uh, I have the most broken run possible in this game. Everything dies in a nano second and the screen is just filled with infinity tears.

To the point that it keeps crashing the game every 5 seconds from overload. I really wanna do this victory lap it asked me about but I can't get past the first room of the basement due to the game exploding instantly.

If you want to crash your game here's the seed.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 18, 2021

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

PIZZA.BAT posted:

code:
if(health < 0) then die();
is now
code:
if(health <= 0) then die();

Yes but I meant why was it even a check for negative health in the first place. Why wouldn't you do "less than or equal to zero" to begin with lmao

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I just had the best run ever and I've only played for 17 hours and have just 4 mom kills. So normally I can't even continue after that.

I was grinding sacrifice room because I could and was unexpectedly taken to the Dark Room from the Depths 1.

When I first arrived I was super spooked because I had never been here, low on health and I had no idea what to expect.

But I rolled over the floor easily and took just one hit in a random room.

It could've been even better if I had picked up money=power in the second treasure room... For some reason I still felt like it would reduce my damage when picked up even though I had already checked before that it doesn't.

I didn't do the victory lap. What does victory lap give me and do I lose out on the win if I die on it?

Sininu fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 18, 2021

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So uh, I have the most broken run possible in this game. Everything dies in a nano second and the screen is just filled with infinity tears.

To the point that it keeps crashing the game every 5 seconds from overload. I really wanna do this victory lap it asked me about but I can't get past the first room of the basement due to the game exploding instantly.

If you want to crash your game here's the seed.

I think it's Trisagion that does it. I had a bonkers run with godhead, parasite, angelic prism and some other stuff and I started crashing after I took Trisagion fairly late on.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sininu posted:

I didn't do the victory lap. What does victory lap give me and do I lose out on the win if I die on it?

There's an achievement / unlock for doing three in a row. You don't lose the win if you die on a rerun. Reruns raise the difficulty slightly but if you steamrolled The Lamb that hard then you can very safely do another three victory laps with very little risk

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sininu posted:

I just had the best run ever and I've only played for 17 hours and have just 4 mom kills. So normally I can't even continue after that.

I was grinding sacrifice room because I could and was unexpectedly taken to the Dark Room from the Depths 1.

When I first arrived I was super spooked because I had never been here, low on health and I had no idea what to expect.

But I rolled over the floor easily and took just one hit in a random room.

It could've been even better if I had picked up money=power in the second treasure room... For some reason I still felt like it would reduce my damage when picked up even though I had already checked before that it doesn't.

You get a chance to do the victory lap every time you kill the Lamb, it doesn't cost you the win if you die on it, and you can chain them together consecutively. Basically, you lose a couple of items and go back to the start of the game, but it's harder in various ways. You can't earn any achievements except that there are unlocks associated with completing one, two and three consecutive victory laps. In order, they are a decent pill that swallows a trinket you're carrying, a niche trinket that gives you a chance to drop active and passive items onto a pedestal on taking damage, and the ability to start a victory lap at will whether you killed the Lamb or not. So... they're not that great. Also, the third victory lap is a bastard to finish, since you get turned into The Lost - no pressure!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Eh, it's not that hard. Just did it, you conserve most items between runs so if you get 2 Steam Sales and Restock (in Afterbirth+) it's GG, even with the extra conditions. I was basically killing everything in one hit after I got rolling. Also the fisrt lap unlock is required for another unlock so technically there's more to that.

Now, besides character unlocks all I'm missing are get 3 battery items at the same time, sleep on 10 beds, get 10 tears up things in one run, Rubber Cement 5 times and every daily challenge unlock. On that note, according to the wiki the 5-win streak in dailies unlock got changed into "have a streak score over 0" or it's just an extra condition they added?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
One neat thing for those in low damage situations against Beast --if you have the Yes, Mother transformation(the most common and usually not worth much) it's not that hard to get in front of it and position that knife right on it so you can chew right through it and not have to deal with that stalactite falling phase that can foul you up.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Decided to try a Maggy run and see which way my items told me to go (hadn't done Mother or Beast yet on her). First item was Soy Milk, which I took against my better judgment. First floor curse room gave me Guppy's Eye and Tail. First devil deal gave me Guppy's Head and the Guppy transform. I got another lucky break with Tears Up and Vurp pills - I'm not sure if the pills let you break cap or what, but I kept gaining tear rate with them even when Coat Hanger did nothing. Ended up with a tear rate around 30. Later on in a shop I picked up Hive Mind, but I didn't really need it - turns out if you spawn eleventy billion flies it doesn't matter if they do 3.6 damage each.

I managed to get my damage up to around three toward the end. It wasn't the fastest Beast fight I've ever seen but it wasn't even remotely scary. I still don't care much for Soy Milk but it was definitely great that run.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

bartolimu posted:

Decided to try a Maggy run and see which way my items told me to go (hadn't done Mother or Beast yet on her). First item was Soy Milk, which I took against my better judgment. First floor curse room gave me Guppy's Eye and Tail. First devil deal gave me Guppy's Head and the Guppy transform. I got another lucky break with Tears Up and Vurp pills - I'm not sure if the pills let you break cap or what, but I kept gaining tear rate with them even when Coat Hanger did nothing. Ended up with a tear rate around 30. Later on in a shop I picked up Hive Mind, but I didn't really need it - turns out if you spawn eleventy billion flies it doesn't matter if they do 3.6 damage each.

I managed to get my damage up to around three toward the end. It wasn't the fastest Beast fight I've ever seen but it wasn't even remotely scary. I still don't care much for Soy Milk but it was definitely great that run.

it's the soy milk that reduced your tear delay so much. if you're gonna pick up a milk, picking it up as your first item or two is ideal so you can even it out with later items (like you did)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Looks like double-Brimstone is the solution if you want it to be as powerful as the older Brimstone and thensome

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Oh my god I killed Mother as Lost and got loving DOUBLE TAPPED after her death by her stupid green projectiles!! WHAT THE gently caress!! I hate how they give you like no I-frames now I was cornered and NO PLACE TO DODGE. God this game hates me sometimes. That was the perfect run to knock that out I HAD IT!!!

God drat though. What an awful way to lose. No way I should be dying on two hits to one projectile after the enemy is already dead no less! I guess in the end with that eternal D6 item it won't be that hard to build a super run again.

edit: Aaaand did it. Eat an I'm Drowsy Pill you cheating piece of garbage!! :D That ball of green poo poo dropped right to the floor when you tried it this time!!

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 18, 2021

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
I hate Mother so much

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Tainted eve is hilarious. If you tap your shoot button you can stop spawning blobs so she's just broken. Pressing Q on her ever seems like a giant mistake.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Color Printer posted:

Yes but I meant why was it even a check for negative health in the first place. Why wouldn't you do "less than or equal to zero" to begin with lmao

Reads like a classic "dumb programming mistake/assumption made five minutes into making the game, wasn't sanity checked until six years later" issue.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

just learned about the synergies between both dr. fetus + tractor beam and dr. fetus + varicose veins in the same run

i use the word "synergies" very loosely there. you might think tractor beam is good but sometimes while moving sideways the bomb just whips back towards isaac for reasons i'm not quite sure of (edit: the wiki says it's because of changing directions. i did not change the direction of the beam, i just moved, so what the gently caress i may have done this, doesn't matter, combination bad, do not take)

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 18, 2021

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just got my first Delirium kill in true insane Isaac fashion. Was trying out Tainted Bethany on a run that was just limping along. No damage ups, Lemegeton gave me Magneto, The Wiz, Big Fan, Lost Protector. Garbage. Went Angel Room and was thrilled to finally get a good damage option. Nope! Lazarus's Rags. Picked up Soy Milk for shits and giggles.

But then I get Spider Bite and Psy Fly and The Wafer. I die stupidly as Beth and beat Cathedral and Chest and the Void portal opens up. Why the hell not? I plink Delirium to death while matrix dodging whatever tears make it past Psy Fly, which weren't that many. Only ever got hit by the instant Mom stomp.

How the hell is that fight done without a slow and insane defense? I guess if you actually have damage you might not have to live as long. But seriously, what the hell?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah getting an I'm Drowsy pill or stopwatch was mandatory for Delirium as either Keeper or Lost. That or having such an out of control build that you could kill him in seconds

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Ugh, that three stage boss in the corpse sucks so much. There are a ton of builds where you're just hosed if you can't kill it in a couple seconds. Anything with Jacob and Esau, for example.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Color Printer posted:

just learned about the synergies between both dr. fetus + tractor beam and dr. fetus + varicose veins in the same run

i use the word "synergies" very loosely there. you might think tractor beam is good but sometimes while moving sideways the bomb just whips back towards isaac for reasons i'm not quite sure of (edit: the wiki says it's because of changing directions. i did not change the direction of the beam, i just moved, so what the gently caress i may have done this, doesn't matter, combination bad, do not take)

oh yeah, i've found out now on a number of runs that should have been broken auto-wins that tractor beam is a no-go

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

NEVER take that poo poo with ipecac my word

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

NEVER take that poo poo with ipecac my word

I'm at the point we're I'd say never take Ipecac if you're going for anything with boss armor. Your damage is just pathetic outside of unlikely situations like Ipecac + Soy Milk.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ipecac is a no-go for me nowadays unless I've already got bomb immunity. The number of mobs that will launch themselves towards you ASAP is just way too high

I ran into the same tractor beam issues - the bombs will try to home to the beam so if you look to the side while they're out they'll swerve across and clip you

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Keeper with Head of the Keeper, Wooden Nickle, 9-Volt, The Habit, and The Finger? Hell yeah sounds good to me, with damage ups and even holy shot I bet I could finally get a Hush kill, bring it the gently caress o-

"Curse of the Unknown"

:shepicide:

(it didn't work, there were coins everywhere but it got to the point where I started grabbing coins whenever because tracking my health, tracking the Wooden Nickle charge bar, hitting Hush and dodging bullets is way too much to do simultaneously and about the 1/3 remaining mark I died because there are just too many bullets and Hush parked his rear end on the remaining coins)

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Ugh, that three stage boss in the corpse sucks so much. There are a ton of builds where you're just hosed if you can't kill it in a couple seconds. Anything with Jacob and Esau, for example.

I had Ipecac once on that and my shots just flew up in the air and didn't come down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Color Printer posted:

"Curse of the Unknown"

:shepicide:

Curse of the Unknown kills me more than any other curse. I just start playing like a god damned fool whenever I can't see my health.