Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Just got gifted this game. Anything really useful to know character build wise (like any bad trap options or anything that will lock me out of poo poo)?

The game makes it sound like the alien abilities are trap options that will lock you out of poo poo, but that's greatly exaggerated. Don't be afraid to use them.

Too many players completely avoid half of the skill tree thinking it will get them a better ending or something, but all it does is make you miss out on cool abilities.

repiv fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Zerilan posted:

Just got gifted this game. Anything really useful to know character build wise (like any bad trap options or anything that will lock me out of poo poo)?

Some people in the past had the opinion that Necropsy isn't worth it. I completely disagree. Prey has a crafting system with four resources, and you can recycle anything you find to break it down into components. One of the things you can eventually craft is Neuromods, a.k.a. skill upgrades. Those need a lot of exotic materials, which Necropsy gets you more of.

Others have had the experience that you have plenty of exotic materials, and minerals are the bottleneck. That seems to only be the case if you craft lots of ammo and/or don't scavenge everything that isn't nailed down.

Either way, Materials Expert is another ability that's worth getting early.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Early on in the game, when neuromods are somewhat scarce, bear in mind it's often more useful to get 2 levels in a single skill than dabble with a single level in two things.

You can't really gently caress yourself over with wasting points like you would in Diablo or something, but it might be worth keeping this in the back of your head.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Really getting the itch for some Arkane style gameplay so I guess I'm gonna replay Prey and then Dishonored 2.
I wish more studios made this style of game but given that they don't, I am glad Arkane makes it easy to experience their games multiple times and not get bored.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Zerilan posted:

On a first playthrough the easiest way to survive reliably in the early to mid game is to put neuromod points in the weapons proficiently and sneak damage bonus skills and use the weapon kits to upgrade your shotgun and stun gun (stun gun is very useful against certain enemy types).

Most of the skill trees are viable gameplay options but you kind of have to pick one, if you try to do everything you won't be good at anything. For most skills to be useful you have to put points into upgrading it multiple levels.

Hacking is a useful skill, and later in the game becomes a very good way of dealing with Operator-type enemies and it opens up alternate solutions in some important quests.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm just going to say there's nothing that will completely gently caress you and you should play the game the way you want unspoiled because it's a well designed game with very little jank, unlike a lot of other famous games in the genre. The difficulty curve kind of expects you to not know what you're doing so trying to min max it, while fun for a second playthrough, isn't very challenging.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zerilan posted:

This isn’t a character build tip but a combat thing a lot of people miss. You will find an electrical stun gun and while it can and will be used for that purpose it is also for dealing with robot (and robot adjacent) enemies.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just played Prey for the first time a month or so ago, and one very important thing I didn't realise for a couple of hours, was the importance of thinking three-dimensionally and thinking laterally. Stairs and ladders aren't the only way to change floor level.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Pookah posted:

I just played Prey for the first time a month or so ago, and one very important thing I didn't realise for a couple of hours, was the importance of thinking three-dimensionally and thinking laterally. Stairs and ladders aren't the only way to change floor level.

On my first full play through I once spent way too long trying to make a hard jump to get at a high vent before remembering I had the GLOO gun.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Zerilan posted:

Don't avoid certain abilities just because the game hints it is a bad idea. The game is lying to you and you'll miss some really fun stuff.

Restricted playthroughs are better saved for a second time playing.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Entropic posted:

On my first full play through I once spent way too long trying to make a hard jump to get at a high vent before remembering I had the GLOO gun.

Exactly. I spent faaar too long forgetting about the gloo gun.
Also that coffee cups are really small.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
The Leverage neuromod is supposed to allow you to move heavy objects out of your way for exploring, but in reality you can knock many of the things blocking your path by just throwing other objects against it if you have enough patience.

The true point of Leverage is so you can hurl heavy poo poo and bowl over your enemies like Donkey Kong.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think the logic is when you throw something you need leverage 1 to lift that can move something you need level 2 to lift. Same with throwing a 2 at a 3.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
One more thing that's probably good to know is that you need to follow the main plot until you pick up the Psychoscope to fully unlock your skill trees. If you're the kind of player who explores all available side areas before moving on, you risk depriving yourself of a ton of fun abilities you could have gotten much sooner.

Floodixor
Aug 22, 2003

Forums Electronic MusiciaBRRRIIINGYIPYIPYIPYIP
Thanks to this thread, re-installing Prey for I think my 4th playthrough. I never really end up doing anything different (like no mods run, etc). I just like having fun with one of the best games made in the last 5 years :)

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Kibayasu posted:

This isn’t a character build tip but a combat thing a lot of people miss. You will find an electrical stun gun and while it can and will be used for that purpose it is also for dealing with robot (and robot adjacent) enemies.

Yeah at a certain point robot enemies will become much more prevalent than before so make sure you can deal with robots. Some people ignored robots because for most of the game they don't matter much, only to suffer once they become more common. I had this heads-up when I started playing and was very happy to have prepped for robots.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

moot the hopple posted:

The Leverage neuromod is supposed to allow you to move heavy objects out of your way for exploring, but in reality you can knock many of the things blocking your path by just throwing other objects against it if you have enough patience.

The true point of Leverage is so you can hurl heavy poo poo and bowl over your enemies like Donkey Kong.

There are also a lot of ways to get heavy objects out of the way, like recycler grenades, lift and kinetic blast. I think it's a nice touch; there are often alternate solutions to traverse an area, but there are also often alternate solutions to the same way of traversing an area.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Leverage is really useful for not using ammo though, Prey unfortunately doesn't have the Deus Ex bonus of throwing fridges being the funnest way to stay non lethal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I tend to stick to human neuromods since combat focus with upgraded security weapons pretty much lets you shred anything. That's probably the cheesy way to handle the game though.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Typhon side has just as cheesy a move with Psychoshock taking down everything in its path with a click of a button.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve played through this game more than anything else since Doom, and there is no wrong way.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Zerilan posted:

Do *NOT* attempt any sort of achievement-run on your first game. Many players, including myself, decided to do a 'human-only' run since the powers you get in the first half of the game are tagged as such, and it's such a dumb ungratifying idea to not use the silly lategame abilities just for some gamer cred.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Do skip the typhon powers if you want to be cool, though

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you put everything you got into maxing out a shotgun, you basically become doomguy.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Why be doomguy when you can be glooguy?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Reployer throwing wrenchguy is the best guy :colbert:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Angry Diplomat posted:

Reployer throwing wrenchguy is the best guy :colbert:
Only if you can turn into a coffee cup. I don’t think I tried that until my third play through and it’s literally the best.

Also I forgot that Walt Goggins is in the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone who skips the best power, Mimic, is just... I can't grapple with the mindset that would lead someone to believe that there is a superior playstyle to flying around and assassinating stuff with mind bullets, then making your escape by turning into a cup and rolling under a doorway and then murdering people AS A CUP. As much fun as the other stuff is, being able to fly and change size are both incredible!.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hey! I was trying to hint about the mystical powers of coffee cups without coming out and actually saying that using the ability to turn into a coffee cup constituted one of the most enjoyable parts of my original playthrough

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Pookah posted:

Hey! I was trying to hint about the mystical powers of coffee cups without coming out and actually saying that using the ability to turn into a coffee cup constituted one of the most enjoyable parts of my original playthrough

While that's cool though, I think the ability to fly freely around pretty every part of the map using the Mimic skill is one of the things people seem to miss out on so I wanted to make sure to bring it up. I wanted to emphasize it wasn't just an small area access skill but also a general purpose and even combat useful skill, since you can use mimicked weaponry using mimicked ammo while transformed (meaning you'll never run out of bullets or lightning or fire), and also use psy powers to blast people at the same time

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 20, 2021

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I think Dahl turning the gravity back on in the GUTS if you go there without turning off your tracking armband is my favorite detail in the game.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

I think Dahl turning the gravity back on in the GUTS if you go there without turning off your tracking armband is my favorite detail in the game.
Oh that is cool. Is it totally impassable of that happens?

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

Oh that is cool. Is it totally impassable of that happens?

It switches between microgravity and normal gravity every ~30 seconds and you get a warning announcement. All the loose debris falls to the bottom the first time it happens. Traveling downwards, i.e. from Arboretum to the Shuttle Bay, is easy enough, as you can always use your jets for an easy landing. I never knew this could happen in my first playthrough.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

While that's cool though, I think the ability to fly freely around pretty every part of the map using the Mimic skill is one of the things people seem to miss out on so I wanted to make sure to bring it up. I wanted to emphasize it wasn't just an small area access skill but also a general purpose and even combat useful skill, since you can use mimicked weaponry using mimicked ammo while transformed (meaning you'll never run out of bullets or lightning or fire), and also use psy powers to blast people at the same time

Wait - what?

How does Mimic allow you to fly? Mimicing an Operator? And what do you mean by using mimicked weaponry/ammo? It's been a while since I played but I don't think I remember those particular tricks. :psyduck:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ghost of Starman posted:

Wait - what?

How does Mimic allow you to fly? Mimicing an Operator? And what do you mean by using mimicked weaponry/ammo? It's been a while since I played but I don't think I remember those particular tricks. :psyduck:

Yeah, you can mimic operators and turrets.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Holy poo poo I had no idea.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
Just wait until you mimic a reployer

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s amazing what a reployer can do!!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Less Fat Luke posted:

Holy poo poo I had no idea.

i now feel about as dumb as i did when i learned you could "sprint" in the zero g bits back when the game first came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

uber_stoat posted:

i now feel about as dumb as i did when i learned you could "sprint" in the zero g bits back when the game first came out.

Cracking the face shield on my first fast impact is one of the small details I love about the game.