Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Thinking about Maple stealing enough rupees from Link that she goes and upgrades from a broom to a vacuum cleaner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Yeah I can totally see that, the Dana segment after that is totally implying that the castaways are gonna stumble upon some kind of world ending demon or something.

It's too bad because this is enough of a compelling premise on it's own, but I guess Adol just can't crash a boat without running into an apocalypse plot

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Arzaac posted:

It's too bad because this is enough of a compelling premise on it's own, but I guess Adol just can't crash a boat without running into an apocalypse plot

I actually really like survival/crafting games and the way that you have a sphere of safety and you gradually grow it as you gain more resources, but your base is always the centerpiece of your journey. Basically after this point in Ys the game just turns into a regular linear Ys game and drops the survival elements entirely

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Redezga posted:

Is the Eve Online Goonswarm still a thing?

Yeah.

They're still one of the top alliances and the target of the current war, that's in it's 40th week, at the moment.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Path of Exile had its big new season launch a couple of days ago now, and it was a bit of a clusterfuck. Extremely serious server issues meant that players were stuck in long queues to log in (up to an hour, sometimes) and, even then, could only play for maybe ten minutes before being booted and having to requeue, often having their latest in-game progress reversed in the process as well. Pretty much unplayable for most people. This only got fixed maybe eighteen hours after the season had started

It did reveal that GGG (the PoE devs) allows the more popular streamers special queue-skipping powers, which in turn made a certain segment of the playerbase (on reddit, natch) to begin asking some Serious Questions. From what I’ve seen, the complaints are mostly centred around the argument that because the vast majority of PoE players play in the mode than enables trading, the advantage given to streamers who can skip queues also grants them undue economic power over everyone else — especially in this case, where, for all intents and purposes, they got one free extra day to play, while everyone else was in queuing hell

Some of the outrage was aimed at one particular streamer whose name I can’t remember and won’t look up, who has a team of players that assist him in-game so that he can reach the endgame as quickly as possible. And it was revealed that these team members are also granted queue-skipping powers, despite not being streamers themselves, which of course exasperated the whole Ethics in Video Game Streaming controversy that was brewing

Anyway just thought this was interesting. I don’t play on the “trade league” as it’s called so I’m not affected in the least

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Such a miracle of life that you can teach cats to poop in designated toilets.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I played Cuphead for the first time yesterday.

I think it could be considered as a Dark Souls of platformers and I will try to make a bit of a link. Now it is not exactly that way as there are no 'souls' to recollect upon death, however like dark souls death is just a limitation of that run.

You do not have lives like most platformers, you can keep on trucking until you get past that moment. You could retry again and again and again and lose nothing and gain knowledge and ability to beat the path.

The big bosses that are scattered about the map can be as optional as some you find in the souls series, or as part of the game to make progress.

These bosses are bigger than you and full of patterns and require strategy and have phases (something the later entries did quite a lot in the souls series). Fighting them feels a lot like fighting a Paarl, or a Gundyr, or a Dark Lurker.

You can customise your cup dude with things that can be a boon and a detriment and rearrange your playstyle to suit what you are wearing. Very much something that is encouraged in dark souls and vital to the beating of certain areas/bosses and not the usual kind of thing for platformers (Hollow Knight withstanding - definitelly a metroidsoulsia).

You can parry in the game. Nuff said :)

Lastly it is difficult. Really difficult. Not unfair though and that is what I think the most important part of being a soulslike entails. It is easy to make something hard, but at the cost of balance and fairness. Games that try to be soulslike usually just give you fast, overpowered enemies and lots of them because hard = good.

Cuphead is tough but rewards learning like Dark Souls rewards it. I died to the first run and gun level over and over as I was getting to grips with what was in front of me. On the run in which I beat that first level, I did it without getting hit and maximum points giving me an A+ rank. I felt the same kind of happiness I felt after learning how to approach and defeat a dark souls boss.

I am crossing that bingo square off now :)

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

Rinkles posted:

Such a miracle of life that you can teach cats to poop in designated toilets.

They all know that it's possible the first time they spot someone doing it, they just choose not to

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'd argue that exploration, item lore and shortcut unlocks are important aspects to dark souls that cuphead doesn't cover but other platformers would

i wish there were more boss rush games like cuphead, titan souls, furi, etc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I won't begrudge vg for like many people, having his eyes opened by dark souls and then trying to view everything through the dark souls lens. before realizing it's just the good game design lens

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

OhFunny posted:

Yeah.

They're still one of the top alliances and the target of the current war, that's in it's 40th week, at the moment.

Wow that's amazing. I fell out of the loop for a while as to what was going on with this website, but as far as I'm concerned they're one of the most iconic things this place has ever produced.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth

quote:

The writer and creative director of Days Gone says that players shouldn't "complain if a game doesn't get a sequel" if they didn't buy it "at f-cking full price".

Who the gently caress is complaining that there is no Days Gone sequel

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Baller Time posted:

It was a really good game honestly

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
And yes I did buy it at FULL loving PRICE lol

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
i want a sequel Days Gone was fun

also that postgame teaser was pretty cool

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd sooner buy The Last of Us a third time than Days Gone or a sequel.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I’d rather never play any videogame again for the rest of my life than think about Days Gone.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Healbot posted:

I’d rather never play any videogame again for the rest of my life

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Thinking about Maple stealing enough rupees from Link that she goes and upgrades from a broom to a vacuum cleaner

If you link the games she gets a UFO

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

borderlands 3 prevents you from going to the next planet because claptrap presses a bunch of buttons and ruins the spaceship

then it steals the hull breach gag from the MST3k movie where Tom Servo's butt plugs in the hole

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Path of Exile had its big new season launch a couple of days ago now, and it was a bit of a clusterfuck. Extremely serious server issues meant that players were stuck in long queues to log in (up to an hour, sometimes) and, even then, could only play for maybe ten minutes before being booted and having to requeue, often having their latest in-game progress reversed in the process as well. Pretty much unplayable for most people. This only got fixed maybe eighteen hours after the season had started

It did reveal that GGG (the PoE devs) allows the more popular streamers special queue-skipping powers, which in turn made a certain segment of the playerbase (on reddit, natch) to begin asking some Serious Questions. From what I’ve seen, the complaints are mostly centred around the argument that because the vast majority of PoE players play in the mode than enables trading, the advantage given to streamers who can skip queues also grants them undue economic power over everyone else — especially in this case, where, for all intents and purposes, they got one free extra day to play, while everyone else was in queuing hell

Some of the outrage was aimed at one particular streamer whose name I can’t remember and won’t look up, who has a team of players that assist him in-game so that he can reach the endgame as quickly as possible. And it was revealed that these team members are also granted queue-skipping powers, despite not being streamers themselves, which of course exasperated the whole Ethics in Video Game Streaming controversy that was brewing

Anyway just thought this was interesting. I don’t play on the “trade league” as it’s called so I’m not affected in the least

This is why gamers need unions

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

drat, for a short streak my divorced parents would end up getting me two copies of those games trying to take advantage. Got Blue from mom, Red from dad. Two Robopons, two of something else I forgot. It's usually not actually worth playing the variant in and of itself, there's usually just some little gimmick to try and justify the split so I usually gave my extra copy away. Anyway, they broke that habit the same time it would've made sense, with the Oracle of Ages/Seasons deal. I still have my gameboy cart, battery might be dead by now though. Do the emulated versions of these have the connect features?

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGuFZ_a7RU0

gently caress this is good

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

The 7th Guest posted:

butt plugs in the hole

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

drat maple owns!!

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Jay Rust posted:

I think the most interesting thing this brings up is the idea of "streamer luck," where drop rates for popular streamers seem unusually high. It's always just been a meme, but if GGG have let this guy's team of people who boost him get queue-granting powers, that means they're already going into these people's individual accounts and giving them special permissions. Obviously they care a lot about the top streamers showing off endgame content, so is it really a stretch that they would boost drop rates if they're already doing queue-skipping on the front-end?

For the record, I'm not just talking about PoE here, I've always wondered if this was something tons of game devs did

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 18, 2021

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Baller Time posted:

Me. I'd play it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

drat, for a short streak my divorced parents would end up getting me two copies of those games trying to take advantage. Got Blue from mom, Red from dad. Two Robopons, two of something else I forgot. It's usually not actually worth playing the variant in and of itself, there's usually just some little gimmick to try and justify the split so I usually gave my extra copy away. Anyway, they broke that habit the same time it would've made sense, with the Oracle of Ages/Seasons deal. I still have my gameboy cart, battery might be dead by now though. Do the emulated versions of these have the connect features?

Yeah you can use passwords to link the games. It really wasn't supposed to be a trade with your friends scenario but more of a continue your adventure from one to the next. So they prolly didn't wanna force you to have two game boys

https://zelda.fandom.com/wiki/Linked_Game

It also unlocks he final ganon fight

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i made a pizza with an antisocial amount of garlic on it, the whole house is full of the smell of roasted garlic

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I think the most interesting thing this brings up is the idea of "streamer luck," where drop rates for popular streamers seem unusually high. It's always just been a meme, but if GGG have let this guy's team of people who boost him get queue-granting powers, that means they're already going into these people's individual accounts and giving them special permissions. Obviously they care a lot about the top streamers showing off endgame content, so is it really a stretch that they would boost drop rates if they're already doing queue-skipping on the front-end?

For the record, I'm not just talking about PoE here, I've always wondered if this was something tons of game devs did

i don't play poe because they never managed to patch in a fun beginning, but the 'streamer privilege' stuff comes up any time a game gets slammed and the big streamers all seem to get in. i always wondered if there was any truth to it because it makes sense from the company's perspective to keep their streamers playing. that's not really a huge deal, but i can imagine a lot of players getting turned off if they learned that the streamer crowd was just straight up getting a better experience for advertising reasons.

wasn't that the basis of those CSGO gambling scams, the streamers were getting rigged drops to give the impression you won rare skins all the time?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it's very funny watching vtubers play those online crane game sites, because you wanna talk about streamer advantage, that's the sleaziest most obvious poo poo ever. the hand of god coming down and moving things around in the machine to make it easier

and then you look at the reddit for those sites and they're full of stories of people dropping $20 to slowly slide a stuffed animal to the right position for an hour and then the site shutting the machine down and resetting it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

UFO catchers have always been a scam. You would think by now, people would stop falling for them.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Valve don't hire anyone to do community moderation in their games so for games like Dota, the report system is automatic, x amount of reports means you get Low Priority (can only play non-ranked game modes, can't pick your hero). To balance that, they only give you a certain number of reports per week, but if action is taken against a player by them getting mass-reported you get them back. Lastly, you can only report people in games you play with.

Every high-level pub player started mass-reporting streamers and pro players to keep them permanently stuck in low prio. Once the most famous player RTZ complained about it, Valve did the privilege thing where certain pro players and streamers couldn't be put into low prio. But, too many pro players complained and they didn't want to keep adding people to the list so at some point they just made reports do nothing and a year later they gave you an avoid list of players who you won't be put on a team with if you pay 5$ a month for Dota Plus. Within the last few months they added the League Tribunal system to the game where now players will get report instances to look at an pass judgement on

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

dioxazine posted:

UFO catchers have always been a scam. You would think by now, people would stop falling for them.
for sure but a dude sitting next to the machine deciding arbitrarily whether you win or lose is some especially carnie poo poo

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

homeless snail posted:

it's very funny watching vtubers play those online crane game sites, because you wanna talk about streamer advantage, that's the sleaziest most obvious poo poo ever. the hand of god coming down and moving things around in the machine to make it easier

and then you look at the reddit for those sites and they're full of stories of people dropping $20 to slowly slide a stuffed animal to the right position for an hour and then the site shutting the machine down and resetting it

This can't be real

Streaming crane games, online crane games, etc

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are streams where the streamer does nothing but open loot boxes for hours at a time

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

haveblue posted:

There are streams where the streamer does nothing but open loot boxes for hours at a time

There are also streams where certain players are allowed to skip gameplay queues and their friends who boost them are also allowed to

It is strange, truly, how sometimes experiences can be different for different people playing completely different games

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Acerbatus posted:

This can't be real

Streaming crane games, online crane games, etc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw8PWuTf1NI

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

homeless snail posted:

for sure but a dude sitting next to the machine deciding arbitrarily whether you win or lose is some especially carnie poo poo

Are you sure there isn't someone in the box at the arcades doing the manipulation?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i made a pizza with an antisocial amount of garlic on it, the whole house is full of the smell of roasted garlic

The spotting on this :aaa: how did you bake it