Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm looking to do a clean (English language) install, and I'm looking for mod suggestions that add survival mechanics (hunger/thirst/fatigue etc), campfires/bed rolls, crafting, etc etc. To be a bit tongue in cheek I'm looking for anything that'll make the game take longer, be fussier, generally be more frustrating. I also saw a YouTube review of a "hardcore" overhaul that changes both combat and items/vendors. Oh, and I want to make sure I don't miss the goon mod to buff up the various combat NPCs.

I think I know the basic "necessary" mods like MCP, but are there any suggestions for stuff to increase the significance of "mundane" actions like eating and traveling? I think Briggs mentioned a survival mod recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Ashfall is the survival crafting needs mod you're thinking of.

Harder Barter alters the economy to be more ~realistic~

Morrowind Rebalance.
Tribunal Rebalance.
Bloodmoon Rebalance.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"Beware the sixth house" is such a good name; thank you.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
There's also MDMD - More Deadly Morrowind Denizens, by goon FlocksOfMice. Instead of focusing on one of the plot factions, like MBT's mods do, it just goes through a couple hundred NPCs you'll encounter during one-off quests.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Vavrek posted:

There's also MDMD - More Deadly Morrowind Denizens, by goon FlocksOfMice. Instead of focusing on one of the plot factions, like MBT's mods do, it just goes through a couple hundred NPCs you'll encounter during one-off quests.

this mod is great. i wish flocks would update it with some of the suggestions or provide an alternate esp (item pricing, optional esp that removes the OP innate abilities from bosses)

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I remember reading about this mod when the OP first brought it up, lots of baffling choices with NPCs was fixed, good stuff.

Would it be compatible with the three rebalancing mods listed earlier? Fear the Sixth house etc?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

this mod is great. i wish flocks would update it with some of the suggestions or provide an alternate esp (item pricing, optional esp that removes the OP innate abilities from bosses)

I just got my computer back and haven't even finished catching up on all the new mods that came out in the past half year , I'll get around to updating my mods eventually I swear lol

i dont think the bosses have OP innate abilities anymore tho? I think I pared it down to a few of them have items or consumables that give them a short buff and otherwise they just have high level stats (unlike high ordinators who just have flat resist everything power-ups because bethesda doesn't know balancing)

but like it's been long enough i don't even remember half of what i did for mdmd at this point

it should be compatible with the rebalances because i intentionally avoided anything they changed tho yeah

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

On one hand I'm glad that those exist because gently caress the dlc can be annoying, on the other, the sewers being full of god like gobblins with hard hitting glass cannons always cracked me up.
Like, pretty sure I started leveling smithing so i could repair my goblin sword back in day.

Anyway, still the best game.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 18, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

as i continue to play and stream my permadeath run, i was amused to find that one of my vods saved on twitch has 6 minutes of muted audio with the reason that it contains a cover of elder scrolls music. which it does not, it's literally just the in-game music from morrowind.

copyright needs to be abolished.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

as i continue to play and stream my permadeath run, i was amused to find that one of my vods saved on twitch has 6 minutes of muted audio with the reason that it contains a cover of elder scrolls music. which it does not, it's literally just the in-game music from morrowind.

Twitch is really struggling with this lately; I think it was Blizzard that paid all the expense of having Metallica songs (performed??) for an event and Twitch blocked the audio.

Also, I'd heard of Ashfall here in the thread, and I'd played with Frostfall for Skyrim; now I've actually played both and Ashfall is amazing! There's so much more "organic" interactions in Ashfall that really sell the experience.

Edit: Oh hey, so I'm reading that, in Ashfall, you want to be wearing covering clothes and a "face covering" in a blight storm. I normally prefer taking unarmored as a minor skill and going without a helmet; does anyone know if this mod would give me a suitable covering:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47783?tab=description

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 18, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

there was a report a while back of someone who had their vod muted because some long sound effect played, and it ended up being identified because that effect was sampled in a song the bot recognized lol

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

stealth overhaul is going well, features:
-no more reliance on a fluctuating rng that pulls you in and out of stealth
-stealth is calculated every 2 seconds instead of 5
-invisibility and chameleon are nerfed
-no more unequipping boots to gain max stealth (no shoes == light > medium > heavy)
-npcs have peripheral vision, behind behind them is almost required to be stealthy

pm me for beta as long as you promise you will endorse it in may so i get those sicknasty awards and win mod of the month ty

someone is also planning on a massive character sound overhaul to be released in may, walking on things makes different noises, walking with heavy armor sounds different than light armor. I've tried it out and it's incredible.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Edit: Oh hey, so I'm reading that, in Ashfall, you want to be wearing covering clothes and a "face covering" in a blight storm. I normally prefer taking unarmored as a minor skill and going without a helmet; does anyone know if this mod would give me a suitable covering:

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/47783?tab=description

I think it will, but this definitely would https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/49504

mbt fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 18, 2021

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Jack B Nimble posted:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Twitch is really struggling with this lately; I think it was Blizzard that paid all the expense of having Metallica songs (performed??) for an event and Twitch blocked the audio.

Yeah, the audio situation on Twitch is pretty terrible. This is far from the first time I've heard about the original, in-game music and SFX getting claimed. I've had to go down the music on Twitch rabbit hole myself quite a few times myself and it's bad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I just acquired everything you need to brew and store stews in Ashfall and I'm not sure if I'm having a problem with the mod or if it's working as intended since my Survival is only about 14; the stew effects wear off very quickly. It almost seems like they're lasting for 5 in-game minutes rather than 5 in-game hours. That might not be the actual case, but regardless I can slurp some stew at the cooking pot and have it wear off faster than I can tear down my camp and move back into town.

I've tried setting using both default time scale and having Ashfall set it to a value of 15, doesn't seem to change the duration of the stew.

Perhaps relatedly, screwing with my time scale (and setting the clock block mod to in-game to track) seemed to screw up Ashfall for a moment there; the survival HUD elements started to display the cold meter using the same red as heat, and my Health/Mana/Stamina all greyed out. Thankfully, reloading a prior save fixed all that, and I subsequently adjusted the time scale and clock mod like I said earlier with no problems.

Again, not sure if my survival just needs to go up higher to make stew last longer (or if I need to eat more of them? My character only sipped maybe 10 "points" of stew), or if this is an issue I'm having with mod(s).

Here's my Load Order, using Mod Organize 2:

#Mod_Priority,#Mod_Status,#Mod_Name
"0000","+","Unmanaged: XE Sky Variations"
"0001","+","Unmanaged: Morrowind Code Patch Showcase"
"0002","+","DLC: Tribunal"
"0003","+","DLC: Bloodmoon"
"0004","+","Westly"
"0005","+","Robert's bodies"
"0006","+","MET 4.1"
"0007","+","Skills Module"
"0008","+","Ashfall"
"0009","+","Beware the Sixth House"
"0010","+","Tribunal Rebalance"
"0011","+","Bloodmoon Rebalance"
"0012","+","MDMD - More Deadly Morrowind Denizens"
"0013","+","Harder Barter"
"0014","+","Weather Adjuster"
"0015","+","More wells"
"0016","+","NighttimeDoorLocks-LD"
"0017","+","Watch the Skies 3.0.2 - full"
"0018","+","Realistic Repair"
"0019","+","Bed Buddies"
"0020","+","The Publicans"
"0021","+","MWSE Clock Block"
"0022","+","Foods_of_Tamriel"
"0023","+","Go Fletch"
"0024","+","Happy Harvesting"
"0025","+","Improved Weapon Meshes - Steel"
"0026","+","Quick Loadouts"

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I just acquired everything you need to brew and store stews in Ashfall and I'm not sure if I'm having a problem with the mod or if it's working as intended since my Survival is only about 14; the stew effects wear off very quickly. It almost seems like they're lasting for 5 in-game minutes rather than 5 in-game hours. That might not be the actual case, but regardless I can slurp some stew at the cooking pot and have it wear off faster than I can tear down my camp and move back into town.

I've tried setting using both default time scale and having Ashfall set it to a value of 15, doesn't seem to change the duration of the stew.

answer from the dev: "it's scaled to how much you ate. wait until you're hungry before eating it"

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's so cool, love it.

Edit: Endorsed, thank you for the great mod. Oh, and I endorsed MDMD, which turned Boss Crito in the first Dwemer dungeon into the Thrilla in Manilla.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 18, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My dumb rear end saw this thread again, opened it up, spent a couple hours downloading and installing mods, and now I got myself a game that sort of works, pops up a ton of errors, and looks exactly the same as it did in 2002. I'm the best.

Guess I should just uninstall everything and follow this? https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Morrowind_graphics_guide Should I be using Mod Organizer 2 to install? I did it all with Wrye Mash.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Grand Fromage posted:

My dumb rear end saw this thread again, opened it up, spent a couple hours downloading and installing mods, and now I got myself a game that sort of works, pops up a ton of errors, and looks exactly the same as it did in 2002. I'm the best.

Guess I should just uninstall everything and follow this? https://wiki.nexusmods.com/index.php/Morrowind_graphics_guide Should I be using Mod Organizer 2 to install? I did it all with Wrye Mash.

My understanding is to use whichever makes more sense to you. You can launch Wrye from within MO2. I haven't bothered switching to MO2 because I've been using Wrye forever.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like Mord Organizer 2 but I don't think there's consensus that it's the best choice.

Regarding starting over, I believe the Morrowind Code Patch and Morrowind Graphics Extender are both considered essential, even if you intended to play the "vanilla" game; they clear up modern technical issues and bugs/poor choices the game shipped with.

As far as graphics the key for me is just some high res textures; they make a huge difference. I have some better faces, better bodies, but I'd prioritize higher resolution textures over all of it.

I install one mod at a time and make sure it works before continuing; MO2 will sort them for you.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Man that guide is way too much.

Just follow this: https://github.com/Sigourn/morrowind-improved

With MGE-XE and an AI upscaled texture pack, Morrowind looks pretty good without those million individual graphic mods. If you want to get really fancy, take a look at "Glow in the Dahrk" and "Weapon Sheathing".

But yeah, use MO2, you can set up MGEXE through that, just make sure you launch MO2 and MGEXE with administrative rights so it can save its ini settings otherwise I've found MGEXE constantly forgets my resolution.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

The nice thing about MO2 is that it doesn't actually do anything to your Morrowind game folder so when something is hosed you don't have to delete everything and start all over from scratch.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Proletarian Mango posted:

Man that guide is way too much.

Just follow this: https://github.com/Sigourn/morrowind-improved

With MGE-XE and an AI upscaled texture pack, Morrowind looks pretty good without those million individual graphic mods. If you want to get really fancy, take a look at "Glow in the Dahrk" and "Weapon Sheathing".

But yeah, use MO2, you can set up MGEXE through that, just make sure you launch MO2 and MGEXE with administrative rights so it can save its ini settings otherwise I've found MGEXE constantly forgets my resolution.

I basically installed all the essentials from the OP like MGE-XE and the upscaled textures, but there was no noticeable difference in how the game looked. I'll check through this guide.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I basically installed all the essentials from the OP like MGE-XE and the upscaled textures, but there was no noticeable difference in how the game looked. I'll check through this guide.

Take a look at the shaders included too. The Water & SSAO shaders go a long way.

Here's a link to the Morrowind Modding Discord. This is probably one of the best places to ask about all things mods.

https://discord.gg/kBsE96kK

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

I followed an older version of this guide (it has been recently updated, and I cannot personally vouch for the updates, but I suspect they'll be fine):

https://github.com/Sigourn/morrowind-improved

and added a version of this mod tweaked even more to remove the accidental extra fall damage, following the posts on the nexusmods message board for the mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43413

and only ran into a couple problems, if I remember correctly. Sometimes MGE XE would crash when running distant land generation, but being persistent allowed me to generate the distant land (files?). I also ran into an issue where one of the bug fixes in the Morrowind code patch prevented me from accessing the graphics options menu in the game. I don't remember which one it was and couldn't be bothered to look it up, but IIRC it was one of the ones installed by default, and the Morrowind++ guide didn't comment on the particular option. I had to re-apply the code patch with the proper option un-ticked to fix the problem.

I've played the main game (but none of the expansion content) for like a bazillion hours now, and have done a lot of the guild side-quests and am now pretty far into the main game (I've just spoken with Vivec) and the game has only crashed twice on me. One of those two crashes might have been instigated by me Alt-Tabbing out of the game window though. I don't get pop-up errors.

edit: I was beaten to the punch on recommending Morrowind++

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 18, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Take a look at the shaders included too. The Water & SSAO shaders go a long way.

I had an error message in the upper right and this in the log: !! XE Main shader error

So that probably didn't help. I turned the shaders on using the highest quality preset, set my resolution, and generated distant land (wizard, default settings) in the config, but nothing else.

E: What draw distance is good to use? I set it to 12 cells but that was entirely random. I'm sure my computer can handle whatever but I don't like seeing across the entire island, I remember doing that once and it makes the world seem too small.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 18, 2021

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

12 is my personal max, some people like 8-10. Up to you

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Weapon sheathing is really cool. I didn't get the point of it until I tried it out. Always thought "I play in first person exclusively, when am I going to see a sheath?" Then I tried it and realized, you know, I could see weapons and shields on all the NPCs.

Grand Fromage posted:

E: What draw distance is good to use? I set it to 12 cells but that was entirely random. I'm sure my computer can handle whatever but I don't like seeing across the entire island, I remember doing that once and it makes the world seem too small.

I think I do something like 3? Maximum of 5. My ideal is to have zero fog for 1 full cell out, then a gradual increase in fog to full opacity over the course of the next two cells' worth of draw distance. My goal is to preserve the sense of a near horizon that vanilla Morrowind had, so that Vvardenfell doesn't seem overly small. (For instance, seeing Red Mountain from Vivec. It makes sense, but it gives a feeling that it's right over there that you don't get from the original experience.)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Welp, followed the ++ guide and reinstalled MGE XE because the shaders were being a dick. Game is functioning and looks good, woo. The screenshots from the MGG guide look better than what I ended up with, but it works so I don't want to poke anything.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

did you know, you can keybind distant land and fog draw distance in mgexe?

https://streamable.com/cfx76c
(watch the fps in the bottom right)

visit old ebonheart at whatever fps you want

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

frame drops are canon

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Currently walking around extremely slowly, oohing and aahing at the pretty water that every game since like 2007 has had but it's Morrowind!!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

morrowind's water at launch was actually really loving good looking for 2002

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oh yeah. I remember when it came out and how unbelievably beautiful a game it was. Blew everything else away. But from 2021 eyes it's a bit rough.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

morrowind's water at launch was actually really loving good looking for 2002

It's still good, I"m currently playing totally vanilla and I still love the water

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Musical_Daredevil posted:

Yeah, the audio situation on Twitch is pretty terrible. This is far from the first time I've heard about the original, in-game music and SFX getting claimed. I've had to go down the music on Twitch rabbit hole myself quite a few times myself and it's bad.

it's kind of amazing that a medley/cover of video game music can even be fuckin copyright claimed in the first place. also i went and found the cover and it's just the actual in-game music from morrowind, skyrim and oblivion with a dude playing guitar and drums over them. makes the copyright bot's job to hassle people a lot easier when your copyrighted cover uses actual in-game music to begin with.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

When that Phasmaphobia game was the big thing for streamers tons of vods got muted because twitch picked up people whispering as some meditation CD. It's so bad.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, I'm curious, does anyone here who plays Ashfall abstain from any or all or some of the various teleportation methods?

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."
Picked up Morrowind again as there is still no other game which quite scratches that itch, and I want to try the TR and home of the nords stuff as they look really well done, but I have a couple of questions:

Ashfall: tiredness seems to drop incredibly quickly, like after sleeping for 8 hours I'm getting stat debuffs after playing for about 10 minutes - seems more annoying than anything. Are there any recommended settings to make the initial well-rested stage last longer?

TR: old ebonheart is really cool but oh god I have a 3070 and 16gb of ram, is there any trick to squeeze out a bit more FPS?

Also thanks to all the mod creators in this thread and all the recommendations, you all rock

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fake Name posted:

TR: old ebonheart is really cool but oh god I have a 3070 and 16gb of ram, is there any trick to squeeze out a bit more FPS?
Literally four posts up I solve this problem for you :v:

did you know, you can keybind distant land and fog draw distance in mgexe?

https://streamable.com/cfx76c
(watch the fps in the bottom right)

visit old ebonheart at whatever fps you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fake Name
Mar 6, 2009

"Han Solo, ha. If I'm around, you don't need that guy."

Literally four posts up I solve this problem for you :v:

Oh ffs I read that last night and for some reason completely forgot about it today. In fact your post is probably what made me start thinking about improving the fps - Thank you!

Fake Name fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 20, 2021