Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Erik wants to win Duelist Kingdom so his sister can afford the surgery to cure her blindness

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Bongo Bill posted:

As a musician, Koichi Sugiyama peaked around 30 years ago.

Yes, but his peak was amazing. DQ4 soundtrack is probably in my top 5 gaming soundtracks of all time. But, yea, playing through Ni No Kuni makes it clear that it really isn't that hard to emulate his style, or at least what's left of it at this point.

I really feel like something was lost from the transition from chiptunes to orchestra. Chiptunes keeps you honest as a composer, forcing you to really focus in on catchy melodies and supporting chords in a way that all too often gets lost in so many modern orchestral pieces for me.

Arkage fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 12, 2021

snohax
May 30, 2011

For anyone playing Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for the first time, here are several handy tips that I haven't seen mentioned in-game. Spoiler tags in case anyone is trying to play completely blind, but these are purely mechanical and shouldn't ruin any surprises.

Running into a monster on the field from behind gives you a boosted chance of a free turn. That's boring though. Instead, walk up behind a monster without being seen and press left on the d-pad to dance. Most wild monsters will join in, and starting a battle while they're dancing is a guaranteed free turn. Couldn't stop dancing!

Under Change Strategy in the pause menu is a section called "Set AI". This lets you set individual spells/abilities for each of your monsters to use "As Needed"/"Often"/"Never". This is indispensable for monsters who can take multiple actions a turn, as the AI loves spamming abilities that you probably didn't want them to.

The psyche up action is your best friend when scouting, as well as spells that boost your attack or lower the target's defense. Meat adds a flat percentage to your scout chance (Monster Bait for example adds 10%, and can be used twice in a battle) but can be expensive early on. A monster is harder to scout if you already have one of the same species in your party or on the farm, but unless you're trying to breed something specific, you're generally fine just trying to scout one of each new monster you encounter.

Monsters in your standby party gain 50% of the experience your main party does, and monsters at the farm gain 25%. For this reason scouting monsters early and often is helpful, so that you'll have more leveled monsters to use as soon as breeding becomes available.

The minimum you can breed a monster is level 10, but you're better off waiting until level 11. The extra level takes minimal effort, and in exchange you'll get 8+ extra skill points to pass down to the child. As you progress through the game, watching for which levels award lots of skill points and choosing easy breakpoints to raise your monsters to before breeding them will pay huge dividends in terms of having more skill points to play around with.

On that note, breeding monsters is awesome! The game of course tells you this, but it's worth emphasizing. Start experimenting with it as soon as the game lets you. Even just pairing critters at random as soon as you get access to it, you'll easily more than double the power of your team. Just make sure to keep at least one leveled up monster to help train your new babbies.

There is no RNG involved with breeding other than the gender of the child, and even that can be fixed once you complete enough of the missions your father gives you starting after the first tournament.

If you have points in a skill which you don't pass down to the child, those points are added to their pool of unused points instead, so you don't have to worry about accidently wasting points. In fact, there are benefits to maxing out most skills before breeding, even if you don't plan on passing them down.

If two parents have the same skill, the sum of their invested skill points is used to determine if you maxed it or not. So having two parents with 50 points each in, for example, Defense Boost counts the same as one with 100 points in it. In fact, doing exactly this with Defense Boost early on will save you some time on a side quest you can get partway through the third plot world.

Don't worry too much about the + number added to the rank of monsters you breed. Just know that more is better, monsters get the sum of their parents' values plus a bonus based on level, and if you follow the above advice about skills you'll quickly run into a mechanic that lets you to break this system in half.

Be careful about using the Quest Mode too much for the randomly generated key worlds you get. Completing them causes the key to level up, along with all the monsters inside it. It's surprisingly easy to accidently over-level one and effectively lose access to a nice grinding/scouting world until your own levels catch up. Exploration Mode doesn't change a key's level, so you can use that freely.

The Health Professional trait cuts the cost of healing spells in half while also boosting their power by 25%. A monster with this and the basic Heal spell on your back line makes for an ideal healing battery while you're out exploring. Similarly, -meister traits have the same effect on their corresponding spell lines, and make for great offensive casters.

Spend stat-boosting seeds as soon as you find them. You'll never get more benefit out of them than right now, and monsters have built-in stat caps for each species that you can easily reach without any seeds post-game if that's your thing. Seeds of Happiness and Skill Seeds are the exception, since they can sometimes save you having to grind those last couple skill points you need to max a skill before breeding.

For anyone on the fence about setting up citra or modding a 3ds (very easy to do these days, no additional hardware required) to play this, please consider the following:

https://i.imgur.com/ObEPIcI.mp4

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~
Good advice here there.

MadmanIncorporated posted:

Exploration Mode doesn't change a key's level, so you can use that freely.

Yeah, I can get Behemoth Slimes which make it easy to get a King Slime with the better of the random keys.

MadmanIncorporated posted:

For anyone on the fence about setting up citra or modding a 3ds (very easy to do these days, no additional hardware required) to play this, please consider the following:
https://i.imgur.com/ObEPIcI.mp4

:hmmyes:

I was listening to music as I scrolled down and it fit perfectly.

spacebard fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Apr 13, 2021

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So does DWM2's remake use a skill system more in line with the Joker games and not the straightforward "you learned X, or stronger Y if [relevant stat] was high enough"?

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

Evil Fluffy posted:

So does DWM2's remake use a skill system more in line with the Joker games and not the straightforward "you learned X, or stronger Y if [relevant stat] was high enough"?

Yes. It uses a skill point system.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Instant Death immunity is so very, very nice to have for mini medal grinding and fighting certain monster types. it's the only reason I haven't shelved the create-a-monster, and the reason I always aim for the cureslime family. Somehow my giant S rank scorpion that merely has instant death resistance dies to every Whack cast.

snohax posted:

For anyone playing Dragon Quest Monsters 2 for the first time, here are several handy tips that I haven't seen mentioned in-game. Spoiler tags in case anyone is trying to play completely blind, but these are purely mechanical and shouldn't ruin any surprises.

You can also get really good skills in breeding by maxing out certain abilities, which will gift the child both the original ability and a boosted version. Generic stat increase skills, X and Y spell skills, and your create-a-monster's skillset all can be upgraded in this way. Other skills can upgrade by having two maxed out skills to create a merged super skill, but I have no idea which ones those are

Deki fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 13, 2021

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

One of the nicest features is the extra book monsters that seem to get made when you breed two monsters with a certain number of skill points between them. They're great for boosting monsters to +99 quickly.

Also a team of heart knights (the pink version of slime knights) really pays off for gold farming or monster drop farming.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Arkage posted:

Yes, but his peak was amazing. DQ4 soundtrack is probably in my top 5 gaming soundtracks of all time. But, yea, playing through Ni No Kuni makes it clear that it really isn't that hard to emulate his style, or at least what's left of it at this point.

I really feel like something was lost from the transition from chiptunes to orchestra. Chiptunes keeps you honest as a composer, forcing you to really focus in on catchy melodies and supporting chords in a way that all too often gets lost in so many modern orchestral pieces for me.

Yeah he was good when he was good and he did some amazing things with the tiny amount he had to work with in chiptune days but his day is past.

I think Uematsu is done too but that's based on an article where he said he's probably not doing any more full game scores

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

The Ninth Layer posted:

One of the nicest features is the extra book monsters that seem to get made when you breed two monsters with a certain number of skill points between them. They're great for boosting monsters to +99 quickly.

Also a team of heart knights (the pink version of slime knights) really pays off for gold farming or monster drop farming.

Do their passives work in reserve or would I have to keep them up front?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I'm pretty sure they need to be in your active squad to work.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Is this because of their passives? Is there a way to see what those do in game somewhere?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You can look them up in the Almanac.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

Awesome, thanks. Never thought to look in there. Anyone noticed jump seems to be 100% useless? Can't seem to jump up or down ledges, or even over small obstructions. I'm in the Snow Kingdom and I don't think I've found anything I could jump on yet.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Awesome, thanks. Never thought to look in there. Anyone noticed jump seems to be 100% useless? Can't seem to jump up or down ledges, or even over small obstructions. I'm in the Snow Kingdom and I don't think I've found anything I could jump on yet.

You can use it to minimize damage on floor hazards, but other than that it's useless, yeah.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

The Ninth Layer posted:

The fact that you can't push Select or something and read the details when you're fusing or on the stat screen is killing me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
You know it seems infinitely stupid to me that some idiot kids bumping into a plug can bring an entire kingdom to its demise. At least in the original the plug was in a well (which also housed the magic key door so I guess traffic was going to be heavy either way).

But now the room to the magic key door is the most prominent and most adorned doorway as soon as you step into the castle! Couldn't they have put some basic spike railings or something around the plug?

Cobi and Tara and fam should let the island sink and gently caress off to somewhere that isn't run by morons. Also why did they sail there when they have a magical door that warps everybody everywhere? You could argue it's because they have a lot of monsters to transport but you can warp with at least 8 no problem so just have the kids take turns coming back and forth until you're done and bam. Maybe they would charge their dad some sort of gold tax per trip since it's for commerce purposes and he's just being a cheap dad, typical

getting real mad about the logistics of dragon quest over here y'all

Also absolutely loving the remake even though I'm barely in the desert world. The dramatic changes to mechanics, monster lineup, etc makes everything feel fresh and new yet extremely familiar

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 17, 2021

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"The only navel I've seen around here, would be my own."

Ahhhh cowards!! How could they besmirch the integrity of the script for dragon warrior monsters 2 cobi's journey / tara's adventure only on game boy color

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
more sylvando praise: this guy might be one of the best examples of how to write a pure altruist without making them feel preachy or dull. he does not give a single poo poo about anything except spreading the maximum amount of good vibes wherever he goes and it reflects in his every action. for all his flamboyance, he spends his whole time at dundrasil quietly offering condolences, and now he's hijacked the group's quest at phnom nonh because a little girl was sad in his vicinity

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Deki posted:

Other skills can upgrade by having two maxed out skills to create a merged super skill, but I have no idea which ones those are

Anyone know any of these?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Another dqm2 question: what triggers the keys having to recharge? I guess it would be too easy for me to just keep going back into those worlds and grind because some easy encounters were spitting out 200 experience when the desert world mobs give me like 20 per battle

Still, kinda annoyed that my other key is grayed out now!

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Oh jk there's a clock on the world select screen, looks like I'll be able to use the key again in around 4 minutes and 30 seconds. What a bizarre mechanic but hey works for me

spacebard
Jan 1, 2007

Football~

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Anyone know any of these?

Giant spreadsheet full of spoilers. One of the last columns: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V7Q_sovR-j0ir9FKEVW_-T9O_SDPitdgQ_tntd0cl74/edit#gid=1501622068

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

Thanks. That'll be a big help.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Oh jk there's a clock on the world select screen, looks like I'll be able to use the key again in around 4 minutes and 30 seconds. What a bizarre mechanic but hey works for me

Eventually you'll be able to make your own keys and it'll make sense why the keys have cooldowns once you make a key that gives you 100k gold every clear.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Ninth Layer posted:

Eventually you'll be able to make your own keys and it'll make sense why the keys have cooldowns once you make a key that gives you 100k gold every clear.
and then ten seconds later it will make no sense because you can spend less than 100k gold to reset the cooldown on that key ad infinitum

KingSlime posted:

Also why did they sail there when they have a magical door that warps everybody everywhere?
there wasn't a door where they were coming from obviously

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How good/bad is this remake compared to, say, Joker 3 (regular, not professional)? Currently playing the SaGa Frontier remaster but I want to give this a try with the fan patch.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Evil Fluffy posted:

How good/bad is this remake compared to, say, Joker 3 (regular, not professional)? Currently playing the SaGa Frontier remaster but I want to give this a try with the fan patch.

I like it more, though that could be nostalgia for the GBC games talking.

Hyedum
Jun 12, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't have the same problem that J3 did with the rampant palette swaps (or at least not to the same degree), so I'm enjoying breeding and collecting way more than I did in J3.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

and then ten seconds later it will make no sense because you can spend less than 100k gold to reset the cooldown on that key ad infinitum

How would one go about making that key? I just got to the post-game.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

You need a key with Balhib in it that has the Collect Gold quest with gold as a reward. A 4 pack Balhib fight gets you to the goal in one encounter if you have a Gold Getter monster (like the Heart Knight) in your party.

Balhib is an S rank material monster so you want to use a Gold Key as base (platinum you risk overleveling the key). The Cloud suffix gets you the necessary quest. For prefix you want a qualifier that can make a Balhib appear. At the time I made the key the only affix I had that could was Pale (have 2+ ??? monsters scouted) but I believe the 50% material monsters scouted affix would also work.

Save your game at the key store, make your key (mine was Pale Cloud) and once made use the R button to check which five monsters you rolled. If you know all 5 and none are Balhib then reroll. If you got a ??? and the ??? could be material (the monsters are listed by family so material is between beast and demon) go in your key and look around. Balhib is a yellow flying monster with an axe.

It took me an hour resetting trying to make a Pale Cloud gold key so you may have better luck with other affixes. There's some sites you can search to look up which affixes roll what monsters if your browser can translate Japanese, I don't have the link handy though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
found a reddit post that stated the octagonia roulette is predisposed to hitting numbers 12 and 14 above all else, so placing all your chips on those two will guarantee a faster jackpot

nonsense, i thought, doing exactly that, and after ten minutes and less than a dozen spins i'm a million tokens richer. how do people figure this poo poo out?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I finally had time to try the Dragon Quest Builders demo on Switch and I think I'm gonna buy it. My wife was watching me and I think she liked it more than I did.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dunno if you got an Xbox but it just got confirmed to come out on that and Gamepass.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

found a reddit post that stated the octagonia roulette is predisposed to hitting numbers 12 and 14 above all else, so placing all your chips on those two will guarantee a faster jackpot

nonsense, i thought, doing exactly that, and after ten minutes and less than a dozen spins i'm a million tokens richer. how do people figure this poo poo out?

drat, I wish I had thought to do that. I abused the casino save and just did the card number game till I could make a bet on all the tiles and then steadily increase my token pile.

But I was on PS4 so I couldn't cheat with quick saves or anything.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

I think it still took me like two hours to make it happen doing that

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Detective No. 27 posted:

Dunno if you got an Xbox but it just got confirmed to come out on that and Gamepass.

Thanks for the info but that's the only console I don't have lol

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Ninth Layer posted:

You need a key with Balhib in it that has the once made use the R button to check which five monsters you rolled.
:eyepop:

holy poo poo this is incredible too bad I already stopped playing but that's a literal game changer for how many poo poo keys I went through looking for random E/F rank mons

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Quick question about the DQM2 3DS remake, is the monster recruiting more like Joker's scouting system or the GBC-style "throw meat and pray"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for the info but that's the only console I don't have lol

It'll be on PC (and cloud) gamepass also, if that's an option for you.