Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Ironslave posted:

I'd like an MMO that accommodates for exploration the way the original EverQuest did, but that's not really feasible as a business model.

The only game I've played "recently" that scratched that itch for me was launch Guild Wars 2, which might seem weird because if you play it enough it eventually becomes a currency grinding simulator where most of the gameplay is running from event to event and managing your inventory.

But the launch maps especially are really big and have a lot of details tucked away into the nooks and crannies. Was always randomly discovering some new jumping puzzle or out-of-the-way event. I turned off all the UI elements that were blinking at me and telling me where to go and just had some fun exploring.

Unfortunately there's been power creep so the events don't really have any bite anymore and the mobs just kinda fall over. Also the new zones personally don't have nearly the same exploration magic for me. But the base game is free to just gently caress around with it and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

GW always was good at making exploration worthwhile pre-endgame. i remember the tutorial area of GW1 had a truly ridiculous number of optional quests if you poked around enough

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon

Glass of Milk posted:

Think Valheim with like 50 players on a server, maybe with some light crafting stuff.

This is more or less what Last Oasis is morphing into. It's fun.

Dante posted:

Thanks for replying, basically my metrics are:
1. Fairly active or with some sort of matchmaking so there's not a tremendous amount of downtime (including during Euro hours).
2. Skill-based combat with some depth and variety, preferably not extremely ping-dependent.
3. You don't have to PvE/poopsock a lot for skills/gear to be competitive.

GW2 then. Though the free version only includes core classes and surprise, several of the pvp meta classes require buying an xpac. But even then you're talking about a ton of content for $20 and no subscription.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ironslave posted:

I'd like an MMO that accommodates for exploration the way the original EverQuest did, but that's not really feasible as a business model.

Why not?

Dik Hz posted:

I dunno, an MMO with temporary procedurally generated zones that had SWG style crafting and resources could scratch that itch. You'd need a good algorithm and a really strong tile set.

Say the server spawns a new "island" each day with random mobs, random resources, and a couple procedurally generated dungeons with static valuable drops at the end.

I don't think Procgen is the answer. It sounds very appealing but making procgen look interesting is really, really, really hard. In the same time you can almost always produce more, higher-quality content if you just build a bunch of hand-made levels instead.

But if you come up with clever ways to re-use areas I think you can do a lot with a little. There's ways to efficiently design areas that nobody's doing right now.

Everquest's zones are pretty simple and low poly, and it didn't have anything procedural or instanced at all. So clearly that isn't actually needed.

You just need huge spaces and reasons to trek back and forth across them and slowly explore more places, and have them all be dangerous enough you can't just do it at at level 1.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Probably the years of wiki abuse, data mining abuse, want-satisfaction-immediately type of people that have an hour to play after work makes it so that forcing massive exploration and slow travel results in a significantly reduced userbase

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Biowarfare posted:

Probably the years of wiki abuse, data mining abuse, want-satisfaction-immediately type of people that have an hour to play after work makes it so that forcing massive exploration and slow travel results in a significantly reduced userbase

The former is an issue but one that can be technically tackled. The latter though, yeah, there's the rub.

You could maybe pull it off as a smaller niche title with a reduced budget and more stylized graphics than ultra detailed. EQ was profitable and never had nearly the subscriber numbers that WoW had.

But yeah, probably hard to argue the investment versus other potential games at the moment.

Course, there's so much competition in the game industry now in all other genres, who knows. I think it could work but it'd take a publisher thinking it'll work so... yeah.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Zaphod42 posted:

The former is an issue but one that can be technically tackled. The latter though, yeah, there's the rub.

You could maybe pull it off as a smaller niche title with a reduced budget and more stylized graphics than ultra detailed. EQ was profitable and never had nearly the subscriber numbers that WoW had.

But yeah, probably hard to argue the investment versus other potential games at the moment.

Course, there's so much competition in the game industry now in all other genres, who knows. I think it could work but it'd take a publisher thinking it'll work so... yeah.

There's also that in an MMO about exploration in the same way, you'd have developers spending time creating assets and locations very few members of the playerbase are likely to see. This is, a far as time invested and player retention are concerned, wasted time.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my bullshit bar minimum for games with slow travel, no teleports, etc is at least give me an autorun/autowalk toggle

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Did any other games do the Guild Wars thing where the towns were like they are in MMOs but you went out in an instanced world with your pals? I really like that and that you were limited to what spells you had equipped - I've never been a fan of the UI being 1/3 full of icons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ironslave posted:

There's also that in an MMO about exploration in the same way, you'd have developers spending time creating assets and locations very few members of the playerbase are likely to see. This is, a far as time invested and player retention are concerned, wasted time.

Strong disagree. An exploration game doesn't have to have assets players are unlikely to see, not sure why you think that's inherently a given.

That's also an inherent problem with level-based MMOs anyways.

Also considering it wasted time is also wrong if the point of the game is exploration. But all of that in a nebula means basically nothing, you need real hard numbers about the budget and expected sales before that begins to actually factor to meaning something.

Consider Dark Souls. That game has lots of exploration. Most people who beat it (not everybody does) see most of the content, even with such a heavy exploration focus. There are hidden areas that some players may never see (painted world) but I wouldn't consider them "wasted" and with the modern wiki world, a large part of the playerbase ends up playing that "hidden" content anyways.

Is Dark Souls a big waste of dev time? Nah it was a huge cultural zeitgeist and sold well. So I don't think any of the points you're making are like, guaranteed.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Did any other games do the Guild Wars thing where the towns were like they are in MMOs but you went out in an instanced world with your pals? I really like that and that you were limited to what spells you had equipped - I've never been a fan of the UI being 1/3 full of icons.

Destiny, Division, Anthem, etc.

Problem is all those games suck for other reasons.

That's the new MMO model and IMO its the better way to do things. Designing zones big enough for hundreds of players is a mistake. People prefer more intimate spaces. As long as you can phase in and out millions of other players, you still have the MMO experience even if there's only ever 20 people in the same zone as you instead of 200. As long as that 20 comes from a pool of 2 million then you'll keep seeing new people and it'll still feel like an MMO. Also if the cities allow for thousands of players and trade, then you've got all the MMO feel you need.

I'm waiting for someone to make a game like Destiny that doesn't suck. That'll be the next WoW.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 16, 2021

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Earth and Beyond was such a cool MMO where you could level a lot of different ways, including beyond a class specifically made for exploration. It came out in the pre wiki/data mining days though so it’s hard to know how it would translate into today’s gaming world.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ort posted:

Earth and Beyond was such a cool MMO where you could level a lot of different ways, including beyond a class specifically made for exploration. It came out in the pre wiki/data mining days though so it’s hard to know how it would translate into today’s gaming world.

I remember playing the beta and thinking it had a really cool aesthetic for the time. But I think it was also a space game that was effectively a 2D plane?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On a 2D plane, and came out at around the same time as Eve-Online, and both required a monthly fee, so Eve-Online blew it out of the water, killing the player population.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ort posted:

I always wanted to try it but it died before I got the chance..

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Amazon has canceled the LOTR MMO.

https://www.ign.com/articles/amazon-cancels-its-the-lord-of-the-rings-mmorpg

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I’d love more LotR video game content but that’s probably for the best given Amazon Games’ track record.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Not at all surprised. Nothing was really known about it anyways, so no disappointment.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon Game Studios, did anyone really expect otherwise?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hopefully Amazon is just going to focus all of their attention now on New World.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

those mother fuckers

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Hopefully Amazon is just going to focus all of their attention now on New World.

:lol:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea the LotR nerd in me is sad to not have more Sweet Sweet Slop to consume but also I know the track record of Amazon doing poo poo like this so eh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

You didn't let me finish, all of their attention on canceling New World.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Amazon already blew their wad spending $465 million for the first season of the TV show they're producing. Cutbacks, you see.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Amazon already blew their wad spending $465 million for the first season of the TV show they're producing. Cutbacks, you see.

oh no there's a lotr tv show coming? ungh.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Amazon LotR? What's it about, the uplifting of local peoples by Sharkey and friends?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Kind of glad, I was worried how it would impact LotRO, which I don't know how it's hobbling along these days I just have nostalgia glasses for it.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

busalover posted:

Apparently Lord of the Rings in the style of Game of Thrones, with tons of sex, swearing and nudity. I'm not sure who asked for that, sounds terrible. LotR is pretty much the opposite of Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones, one is a lovingly crafted fantasy world with fun songs and the other makes you read weird rape scenes in the first 150 pages.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If they spend $465mm and Frodo doesn’t gently caress a pumpkin, what are we even watching it for

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Freakazoid_ posted:

Kind of glad, I was worried how it would impact LotRO, which I don't know how it's hobbling along these days I just have nostalgia glasses for it.

No one plays that game anymore, so I was expecting it to shut down if Amazons MMO released.

busalover posted:

Amazon's TV shows and movies have been the one thing that are consistently good from them. They have been a strong competitor against Netflix for the last few years. So I am not too worried about the show.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I might try it soon. Have they ever gone back and revamped the early stuff, like Star Trek Online does with its early missions?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

galenanorth posted:

I might try it soon. Have they ever gone back and revamped the early stuff, like Star Trek Online does with its early missions?

They’ve done a few passes of zone revamps for older content. LotRO had a very special place in my heart and I spent a bunch of time last summer going through the Mordor and Minas Morgul content. There’s so much to do and see, especially if you have a love of the books. There are still the “collect 10 warg asses” quests but the epic quests are mostly great. Lore master is my favorite MMO class and I’ll never forget going through Moria for the first time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
same to all that, LotRO is not a very good MMO on the whole but if you love the IP it'll be fantastic just as a glorified 'walk around Middle Earth' simulator.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I dig LOTRO because it has that nice older mmo feel to it, but man do they need to do something about the UI for 4K monitors.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

d&d online does the instances. there's a couple big quest hubs, and everything else is instanced pve dungeons. also, in true d&d fashion you only use ~5 skills/spells in combat 99% of the time because they ~the best~, but you need to have your inventory full of gear and scrolls for edge case enemies that are immune to various poo poo

it's a decent dungeon crawler if you have 3-5 friends who will play with you. no level sync tho. also,

kedo posted:

but man do they need to do something about the UI for 4K monitors.
same engine, same problems lol

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What MMOs that aren't FFXIV would you say have the most interesting and engaging crafting systems?

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Truga posted:

d&d online does the instances. there's a couple big quest hubs, and everything else is instanced pve dungeons. also, in true d&d fashion you only use ~5 skills/spells in combat 99% of the time because they ~the best~, but you need to have your inventory full of gear and scrolls for edge case enemies that are immune to various poo poo

it's a decent dungeon crawler if you have 3-5 friends who will play with you. no level sync tho. also,

DDO with a guild full of chill dudes was one of my favorite MMO experiences. I still regret losing track of them after taking a break. Lots of combat puzzle type stuff depending on what builds you happened to have in your party.

I think eventually people figured out builds that had saves to everything and could disarm any trap and pick any lock and cast any scroll and whatnot but I mostly had fun casting magic disco balls and making all the enemies dance.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ambaire posted:

What MMOs that aren't FFXIV would you say have the most interesting and engaging crafting systems?

EVE Online?

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Ambaire posted:

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes had a crafting system that was pretty complicated and engaging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5snx6pcHg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

It's ironic that my PC from 2012 can't play Runescape 3 at a frame rate higher than a snail, when Runescape was originally made for (or at least very known for being compatible with) much slower PCs than other games, but it can handle FFXIV at 25-30fps all right. Somehow Tutorial Island doesn't look as good as I remember Runescape 2 looking anyway