Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Just got Nioh 2 and the amount of spreadsheety stuff and different mechanics feels a little overwhelming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

it's pretty overboard but just remember that

- you can respec your skill points for cheap
- you can respec your levelups for cheap
- you get proficiency with weapons extremely quickly later on
- on the first playthrough you will outlevel and replace your gear very quickly
- you can change your appearance anytime

in other words: You're not locked into anything, so no need to agonize over making the "correct" choice. you can always change it later.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

it's pretty overboard but just remember that

- you can respec your skill points for cheap
- you can respec your levelups for cheap
- you get proficiency with weapons extremely quickly later on
- on the first playthrough you will outlevel and replace your gear very quickly
- you can change your appearance anytime

in other words: You're not locked into anything, so no need to agonize over making the "correct" choice. you can always change it later.

Oh thank god

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

And to pass on a tip I got and appreciated: Until you get to NG+ there's no equipment that you need to save for later. Just sell it or dismantle it or offer it. And you also don't need to care about crafting until NG+

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Captainicus posted:

Slightly more specifically:
High stance generally has the strongest or furthest reaching attacks, but they tend to be slower, and your dodge is replaced with a slow roll.
Mid stance makes blocking drain a significant amount less ki and its attacks tend to be well balanced. Most counter/parry type special moves are mid stance only. If you dodge twice in a row, the second dodge in mid stance will be a slow roll.
Low stance generally has short range, low damage but rapid attacks. When you dodge in low stance, you will always quickly sidestep and never do the slow roll.
If you're playing light armor, your ki recovery is much faster than heavy armor so you won't get a huge amount of benefit out of ki flux. If you are playing heavy armor, you will appreciate any extra scrap of ki recover you can get.

Picking main and secondary weapon in the intro was just for some very minor stat bonuses and your chosen weapons are given to you in the first mission. You can always equip any weapon so those choices basically don't matter at all.

Revenants are just for minor amrita or equipment drops. You can get gear drops from whatever the revenant you kill is wearing, so in Nioh 1, 99% of them will be using the Warrior of the West set early in the game (an unremarkable suit of medium armor), and later in the game more and more will be using the Red Demon set (a suit of light armor with bonus ki recovery or something like that). Outside of those two sets, you won't realistically be able to get a whole lot out of revenant farming. If you like heavy armor, you are out of luck.

EDIT: Oh other people beat me to the roll related stuff.

Alright thanks.

Also what is the titles boost thingy? Should just I dump all my points right away? I don't know if I should keep them or what. And what is up with the abilities, I can't seem to do any of the sword abilities even though I press the correct buttons. Only one I can see is the y execute one which is just a animation when you press y.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah spend the title points, it's another thing you can respec later if you want.

You need to go to the "assign abilities" menu to enable most of your abilities. Or is it "customise skills"? Something like that

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Abilities should auto-equip if it's the first one you've earned for that slot. Many of them are stance-exclusive though so make sure you're in the right stance.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Ulio posted:

Also what is the titles boost thingy? Should just I dump all my points right away? I don't know if I should keep them or what. And what is up with the abilities, I can't seem to do any of the sword abilities even though I press the correct buttons. Only one I can see is the y execute one which is just a animation when you press y.

Title boosts eventually (after many many hours of play) become really significant, but you can respec them for cheap as they said. I like to pick 3 that I don't get any points in at all, and max the others. A lot of the abilities you get are things that aren't immediately obvious that you are using them, and they will say something like "strong attack after a light attack". These are essentially combo finishers, essentially what they do is make it so instead of your moveset being limited to X, X, X, you have access to X, X, X, Y. If there's a specific action you can't seem to get to work, just say what it is specifically and we can tell you how to make it happen. Once you're familiar with the way it describes inputs, it'll click and you'll understand all of them.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Qwertycoatl posted:

And to pass on a tip I got and appreciated: Until you get to NG+ there's no equipment that you need to save for later. Just sell it or dismantle it or offer it. And you also don't need to care about crafting until NG+

Absolutely. Don't soul match equipment until divine gear starts dropping.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Qwertycoatl posted:

But what about inheritable traits you wanna keep :ohdear:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Tarezax posted:

Abilities should auto-equip if it's the first one you've earned for that slot. Many of them are stance-exclusive though so make sure you're in the right stance.

Ya looks like the first one and I have right stance/weapon.

Qwertycoatl posted:

Yeah spend the title points, it's another thing you can respec later if you want.

You need to go to the "assign abilities" menu to enable most of your abilities. Or is it "customise skills"? Something like that

Is this in the menu or shrines? In shrines I could assign jutsu/magic.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Might be talking about the "Allow certain attacks to do more damage/have an element, based on stat", like much of the Samurai tree.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Ulio posted:

Is this in the menu or shrines? In shrines I could assign jutsu/magic.

In the menu. It's one of the options alongside inventory/titles/etc

MythicAlphabet
Mar 19, 2009

How should I know?
It's all Greek to me.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Expeditions continue to be buggy in spite of the patch. Just had another instance of a mission where NPCs in general completely bug out for me (and only me), where if I try to talk to someone, either they simply twitch and their dialogue doesn't trigger or I get completely stuck and unable to do anything at all, not even open a menu. the only way we've found to fix this is for my teammate to slide me away into the water to kill me.

I don't know about the black screen part, but we were able to get out of it in co-op by causing the other person to flinch with Straight Punch or Chest Slap emotes. Hopefully that'll work if it comes up again?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

In the menu. It's one of the options alongside inventory/titles/etc

Ok it was all assigned, I am stupid I was using a Odachi all along but upgrading skills for sword. I just thought the giant sword was a katana for some dumb reason. I was so deadset on using Katana but was playing with Odachi the last 5 hours lol, feels like this game will have lots of replay value.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Ulio posted:

Ok it was all assigned, I am stupid I was using a Odachi all along but upgrading skills for sword. I just thought the giant sword was a katana for some dumb reason. I was so deadset on using Katana but was playing with Odachi the last 5 hours lol, feels like this game will have lots of replay value.

Well yes and no. With 5 difficulty levels and being able to change everything about your character at any time, there's no reason to actually start a new game ever, just respec and keep on truckin'.

Morter posted:

Might be talking about the "Allow certain attacks to do more damage/have an element, based on stat", like much of the Samurai tree.

That was one of the last things I figured out how to do :argh: After you buy one of those skills, you have to go over to your individual weapon setup screen and select an attack that has a little circle icon next to it, then hit Square(?) to open yet another menu where you can pick from the skills you've unlocked what to apply to that particular move. I never really use any of them except for Masterful Slice to further buff big ki damage moves, and all of the Damage+ based on <stat> since all of my stats are equal I get a decent boost from all of them. The elemental ones were nice early game, but now if I want a fire sword I just equip one of the 20 I already have in storage. Stuff like Poison or Paralysis seems like they would almost never proc since they're only applied to one move, are any of the other skills particularly useful?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
In Nioh 2, putting a status effect on the ki pulse skill with fists could be useful, since you can do it constantly after every single other attack you do.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Schubalts posted:

In Nioh 2, putting a status effect on the ki pulse skill with fists could be useful, since you can do it constantly after every single other attack you do.

IIRC, can't you only apply one skill on one stance? So like in order to cover all 3 you'd have to apply 3 separate skills?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

IIRC, can't you only apply one skill on one stance? So like in order to cover all 3 you'd have to apply 3 separate skills?

I just checked, Rising Gale does have the circle indicator that it can have a skill assigned to it, so yeah you should be able to put a different one on each stance, and elemental or poison might be a good fit for those since you can use them so often.

In other news, I happened across this old anime clip which looks real familiar when I think back to the final fight of DLC1. I know this whole game is based on Japanese mythology but it's still neat to see how many references they cram into the maps and combat, down to jumping around on fence posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9Abj9_M-hM

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
So I just finished Otakemaru for the first time, using mostly odachi medium/heavy armor (mostly whatever set bonuses I could get while sticking under 70% and 200 toughness). Not really sure what to do next, wandered into the opening mission on way of the strong and got thrashed pretty hard. Should I bother with the cups for bonus drop rate? What’s the deal with the stone of the penitent? Should I do the dlc first?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Stone of Penance will lock away the chosen accessory, until you defeat enough enemies on the difficulty you picked. Completing the stone will upgrade the accessory's level, with a chance of upgrading its rarity. Increasing the + on the stone will make enemies stronger, but will increase drop rates and increase the chance of rarity upgrading the accessory.

You can jump straight into the DLC, it's balanced for every difficulty.

Defeating revenants in the DLC should get you up to par for Dream of the Strong.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
If you want to be even super min-maxy about things, you actually unlock an entirely new tier of gear in NG+++ (Dream of the Wise) that makes divines obsolete. The only place that gear actually starts becoming something you need to care about is approximately then as well (enemies get a poo poo ton of health, cursed bosses start to appear, etc).

The DLC actually rules and has some good to great bosses (looking at you, Vergil from devil may cry) and actually interesting level design so I'd say hop in it right away.

The only thing that sucks about the dlc is the loving birds. You will know when you get to them. The cursed one outside the final boss door of the final dlc was harder than the boss itself.

Operant fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 17, 2021

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Schubalts posted:

.You can jump straight into the DLC, it's balanced for every difficulty.
Wait a second. I've been doing the dlc on the initial NG. Are you doing i should've been doing it from the start of NG+???

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

Morter posted:

Wait a second. I've been doing the dlc on the initial NG. Are you doing i should've been doing it from the start of NG+???

Nah, you can't do that right away. You have to unlock them by clearing enough of the non-DLC missions in each difficulty, the same way you have to reopen the main map regions/chapters.

Jumping in right after finishing the NG story will set you up nicely for continuing NG+.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Which is nice, because gently caress it was not that way in the first game. I vividly remember starting the first mission of that immediately after finishing my first playthrough, thinking to myself "man, this is rough, but I'm making steady progress" only to get to the boss door and get one-hit-kill chainstomped by Date Shigazane over and over until I gave up and did Way of the Strong long enough to get +2/+3s in every slot, then went back and did it. It was tough but fair from that point (I didn't go back to Strong until finishing all the DLC).

Contrast to this game, where I just pulled up to the 3rd story mission of DLC 2. The balance coming directly from NG is much better this time around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

playing nioh 2 in multiplayer as opposed to nioh 1 in singleplayer has probably been a big part of it, but nioh 2's curve has definitely felt a lot smoother. we just finished the first DLC and so far there haven't been any huge spikes like the warrior of the west duel in 1. I could tell the DLC would be a lot tougher than the main game in singleplayer though. it was the first time in some time we came pretty close to running out of revives.

Yoshitsune's spirit going "yeah sorry he's still kind of a jabroni" if he gets downed and you revive him was pretty good.

Joan
Mar 28, 2021

Does dodging actually have invincibility frames? I'm trying to fight the first boss the way I would a Souls one but he just catches me with attacks every time I dodge.

MythicAlphabet
Mar 19, 2009

How should I know?
It's all Greek to me.

Joan posted:

Does dodging actually have invincibility frames? I'm trying to fight the first boss the way I would a Souls one but he just catches me with attacks every time I dodge.
High stance (roll) has 20 i-frames, and mid/low step dodges have 10 each. Compared to Dark Souls 1's 30 at best and 18 at worst(!), Nioh's gonna feel like you get punished in dodging a lot more. The block here is a lot stronger though, especially with over 200 toughness. You'd be surprised what you can block, especially in mid stance and with the ki pulse buff.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
Revenants were the jump start I needed to get cruising in way of the strong. Once I had green gear it’s smooth sailing

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Joan posted:

Rolling is good but you can block a lot more than you think. If you're wearing very heavy armor you want to block instead of rolling as well.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Heavy armored blocking man is my favourite way to play these games, I really like how different it can feel when you do different kinds of fights in heavy compared to light. Except Yorimitsu randomly having ki damage through the roof despite just using a sword :mad:

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Man Umi Bozu was tough without lighting up the bonfires. It's devious that the devs placed the boss gate so early on, I didn't explore the eastern part of the map to light the 2 other bonfires, I thought I could explore it after I finished the boss. I didn't even realize you could use the fire from the bonfire until my 2nd run on the mission.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

nothing can interrupt this man's vibe

https://i.imgur.com/kthY3Py.mp4

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*teleports behind you* Nothing personal ki*teleports behind you* Nothing perso*teleports behind you* Nothin*teleports behind you*

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Still loving Nioh 1, 2 things I noticed though every npc loses their sword on average at least twice, every level is at night or slightly dark ambiguous time.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are revenants slanted toward the weapons used by players in the expedition or are fists, glaives and staffs just very popular?

Fists are so common they must be 1 in 3 of the weapons I see on revenants. Glaives are second. A fair number of staffs, swords, dual swords and greatswords. very few axes or tonfas.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Granted, fists are among the newest weapons in the series, so they got that enticing new-gear smell

also they're so fun.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Are revenants slanted toward the weapons used by players in the expedition or are fists, glaives and staffs just very popular?

Fists are so common they must be 1 in 3 of the weapons I see on revenants. Glaives are second. A fair number of staffs, swords, dual swords and greatswords. very few axes or tonfas.

They are just very popular. Fists are also the newest weapon and easily the most powerful weapon in the game. I'm surprised they haven't been nerfed yet(or give every weapon some / massive buffs to bring them up to fist tier :v:)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I've been using hatchets, are they really that bad? I'm 14 levels underleveled for a mission in world 3 and it's kicking my rear end. maybe time to try fists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The biggest problem with Axe is the lack of skill variety.