Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Just get the mod that lets you nab immortals from dead factions and then wait for Huntsmarshall’s Expedition to get killed (guaranteed!) and nab a dwarf, a paladin, and a way stalker! Best way to play Franz: as a guy with a refugee stargate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
It is unfortunate that the Empire campaign is pretty boring since it largely plays the same every time and you get access to the fun units really late, also the elector counts'mechanic make expanding so slow. I llike the Huntsmarshall campaign becauase you get to play with fun units right from the start.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Empire has a funner campaign than most because they fight everyone and get a ton of tools and at the end of the day they turn hats into war materiel.

They also have a very, very clear-cut goal: own and unite and protect the Empire and the entire world is basically conspiring to not let that happen. The greenskins inevitably move north after stomping dwarfs, the vampires exist, chaos/norsca exist, the wood elfs get pissed off randomly, and the dark elfs pop in every so often for a romp. And yeah your units aren’t as flashy and cool but it’s even cooler when 200 newly recruited idiots bring down a dragon or whatever.

The only other specific faction I regularly play is Repanse and Teclis. Sometimes it’s fun to do a romp as Grimgor though, or be anti-diplomacy dwarfs just grudgin’ their way around the world

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
rolling with kemler and 19 knowledgeable necromancers is a fookin' blast. Mount them all on horses and just run around dropping skeletons all over the goddamn place than hit those 'wipe out an entire stack' wind of deaths

Back that poo poo up with a stack of vargheists to fly in and rip up the routers, arty and archers and enjoy the carnage as you work on the poor, helpless swordsmen unimpeded

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 17, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Steam tanks are excellent placed ahead of your troops to grab enemy attention while you blow them up with helstorms.

They're also good at dealing with Hellcannons with you run into chaos since they can blow up the cannon while taking little damage.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Eimi posted:

Steam tanks can be healed with lore of life and have extreme amounts of armor. They are great well....tanks.

This game series won’t be complete until I have run over Nagash with a steam tank.

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

Cardiac posted:

This game series won’t be complete until I have run over Nagash with a steam tank.

This should be the rulebook cover art when they rerelease The Old World.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

jokes posted:

Empire has a funner campaign than most because they fight everyone and get a ton of tools and at the end of the day they turn hats into war materiel.

They also have a very, very clear-cut goal: own and unite and protect the Empire and the entire world is basically conspiring to not let that happen.

This is basically the tomb king campaign. You're fighting to get those drat kids off your lawn and nobody wants to get the gently caress out of the sand

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

jokes posted:

Just get the mod that lets you nab immortals from dead factions and then wait for Huntsmarshall’s Expedition to get killed (guaranteed!) and nab a dwarf, a paladin, and a way stalker! Best way to play Franz: as a guy with a refugee stargate

What mod's this?

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

jokes posted:

They also have a very, very clear-cut goal: own and unite and protect the Empire and the entire world is basically conspiring to not let that happen. The greenskins inevitably move north after stomping dwarfs, the vampires exist, chaos/norsca exist, the wood elfs get pissed off randomly, and the dark elfs pop in every so often for a romp. And yeah your units aren’t as flashy and cool but it’s even cooler when 200 newly recruited idiots bring down a dragon or whatever.

I'm in the middle of my first Gelt ME campaign and I strongly agree. Empire army is not the coolest but you never get bored with the sheer range of enemies you'll be fighting, and you can configure your army to take on pretty well anyone. It's frantic, but in a really satisfying way, trying to weigh the threats to you and to the integrity of the empire as a whole as you beat back orks, undead, skaven, chaos, the inevitable in-fighting and random invasions from more distant factions. Few campaigns have such clarity of purpose aside from wood elves

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

albany academy posted:

What mod's this?

Recruit Defeated Legendary Lords

Heads up it also recruits all immortal heroes and lords from other factions of your race when those factions are wiped out. This can be annoying because there's no way to disband or remove or kill an immortal hero so you are stuck paying their upkeep and having them take up one of your hero recruitment slots forever but it is nice having all the immortal lords in one house.

If you play with mods like that one faction blender one that adds trolls, chaos demons, arabia, etc this can be extra frustrating because you'll get things like the LotR Trio heroes that have all kinds of skills to support halflings when you're playing as Empire who gets no halflings and then you can't get rid of them.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Apr 18, 2021

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

oh word, i have that one, just didnt know it did heroes as well. cool.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

deep dish peat moss posted:

Heads up it also recruits all immortal heroes and lords from other factions of your race when those factions are wiped out. This can be annoying because there's no way to disband or remove or kill an immortal hero so you are stuck paying their upkeep and having them take up one of your hero recruitment slots forever but it is nice having all the immortal lords in one house.

I had some trouble that I may have incorrectly attributed to this mod. Whenever I'd adopt the LLs from a distant faction their enemies would get a murder boner for me. Like playing as Kroq Gar, accepting some chumps from Cult of Sotek, then ~15 turns later I have doom stacks from Clan Skryre knocking on my door.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

You do get diplomatic visibility when you accept the dilemma.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Riatsala posted:

I had some trouble that I may have incorrectly attributed to this mod. Whenever I'd adopt the LLs from a distant faction their enemies would get a murder boner for me. Like playing as Kroq Gar, accepting some chumps from Cult of Sotek, then ~15 turns later I have doom stacks from Clan Skryre knocking on my door.
Like albany academy said, you do get visibility to who killed the LL's faction if you accept them, which means its a Total War AI that knows that you exist. Which means its going to attack you. I played like two campaigns with that mod before I ditched it because it just wasnt worth the extra headache.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

not a bot posted:

It is unfortunate that the Empire campaign is pretty boring since it largely plays the same every time and you get access to the fun units really late, also the elector counts'mechanic make expanding so slow. I llike the Huntsmarshall campaign becauase you get to play with fun units right from the start.

Empire's weird. They don't get any of the :metal101: monsters and poo poo, but they access to top tier versions of nearly every unit type so they're somehow paradoxically the basic-rear end spearmanii faction but I never get bored of playing them?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Empire and high elves are the jack of all trades factions. Plus there's insane artillery flying goon squads. Reiksguard is also the only basic cavalry I really here people using much of in campaign.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Every time I think about playing an Empire campaign I remember the elector counts bullshit and decide against it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I play empire like it's napoleon total war, but you have even more artillery and you're shooting it at monsters. Love the empire.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

deep dish peat moss posted:

If you play with mods like that one faction blender one that adds trolls, chaos demons, arabia, etc this can be extra frustrating because you'll get things like the LotR Trio heroes that have all kinds of skills to support halflings when you're playing as Empire who gets no halflings and then you can't get rid of them.

You should be getting a dilemma whenever a faction's wiped out, which allows you to choose whether to take in or skip getting all those generic lords and heroes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I generally use the diplomacy mod that lets you resurrect factions. That way I can go get a faction reborn and confederate it if I want, or add a buffer state.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Floppychop posted:

Every time I think about playing an Empire campaign I remember the elector counts bullshit and decide against it.

I like the elector count mechanics, but it is annoying coming from any non Total War strategy game and having to deal with three separate currencies that (in most cases) only earn and spend through RNG.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Empire is great because its just you and your trusty floofy hat, trousers, and musket against Glorgath the Despoiler.

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'm trying to get a few VH campaign cheevos before WH3 because why not, but I don't think I can do it. Beastmen are just an utterly garbage faction, campaign, roster, everything. Just pure strain trash, from the word go.

Gotta love getting huge reliability penalties when your idiot brayheard suicides itself on Karl Franz or a fully garrisoned and walled settlement. And looking down the barrel of an Empire with 30+ settlements and just two hordes, is just no. No I refuse I'll definitely wait for the rework/DLC.

Also Bestigors suck, I knew I should have just given Kazzy some minotaurs too.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bestigors suck but they fill an important role in the Beastman roster which is "looking very cool"

I beat the Beastman campaign in WH1 on VH and didn't mind it. They're definitely a hard faction to get going but they can be very, very, fun. Your entire army is as fast as cavalry and its always very satisfying to smash minotaurs into the weakling infantry of any other faction.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Trying to achieve the campaign goals for beastmen is silly, but arguing that their armies can't be fun to play is absurd. Reliability penalties? Is diplomacy even an option for beastmen?

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

Trying to achieve the campaign goals for beastmen is silly, but arguing that their armies can't be fun to play is absurd. Reliability penalties? Is diplomacy even an option for beastmen?

I had planned on doing what I did for Warriors of Chaos which was allying with Skaven, Greenskins and Vampires and have them take over the ruins before the Empire and Bretonnia could. But because I had very low reliability that wasn't happening, and I would end up getting war dec'd by those same factions anyway. Who in turn would player bias chase me around, get their asses blown off by Karl and then generously hand the Empire more territory.

Looking forward to coming back to them when CA makes them worse some how takes way Brayherds and lets you encamp on 0 movement.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Bestigors are (not) the best of gors. :haw:

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
Bestigors own tho? They are really good att the whole shock infantry role, that the beastmen as a whole excell at. The campaign itself is not in any way impossible or even that hard, I have done it several times on VH, if you want tips i think i did a write up after my last BM campaign in thread.

If you really want it easy, just stack minos and charge everything :v:

Or start as malagor, stack -leadership and watch entire armies almost instaroute.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 19, 2021

Sax Battler
Jul 31, 2007

Another bloody customs post,
Another fucking foreign coast,
Another set of scars to boast,
We Are The Road Crew.

More like Worstigors.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Bestigor Herds are on par with berserkers or chosen with great weapons.

They rule.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Sax Battler posted:

More like Worstigors.

Gottem!

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any mod recs for making the chaos invasion more difficult on ME? I have gates of chaos, chaos within, and Chaos Towers installed. Anything else that will make it a bit more interesting?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Any mod recs for making the chaos invasion more difficult on ME? I have gates of chaos, chaos within, and Chaos Towers installed. Anything else that will make it a bit more interesting?

I'm assuming you cranked the invasion difficulty to legendary? If not, do that. If you have, the OvN Lost Factions mod can include the Cabal, which is a Chaos faction that spawns at a point you chose. It's somewhat like another wave of Chaos, but can spawn concurrently with the existing wave and has better troops that most of the Chaos stacks.

Avoiding lightning strike also makes them apt harder.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Third World Reagan posted:

Bestigor Herds are on par with berserkers or chosen with great weapons.

They rule.

Zerkovich did an infantry comparison video here and Bestigors didn't make the top 10. They perform significantly worse than Chosen, and even came in below Greatswords.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kaza42 posted:

Zerkovich did an infantry comparison video here and Bestigors didn't make the top 10. They perform significantly worse than Chosen, and even came in below Greatswords.

Zerkovich is now poo poo.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Kaza42 posted:

anti-beast bigotry

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I mean, to be fair, beastmen infantry are mostly just there to prance around on the corpses of your enemies, who were annihilated long before the bestigors arrive by minotaurs somersaulting into their line at 60 mph and/or the giant rocks hurled by your cygors splattering entire units at once.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I finally played to the end of a legendary chaos invasion as Sisters of Twilight recently and was definitely still super underwhelmed by the result. They got a little further than normal, but AI Franz and Tyrion still chewed through the last wave just north of the Griffon / Witchwoods. It feels more like a "how bad do you want to own Malekith / Throt" slider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Usually my beastmen endgame stacks are like lord, two gorebulls, a shaman, maybe 1-2 cygors and the rest some combination of shield minotaurs and great weapon minotaurs. All you do is just catapult your big cows into the enemy and win.

Early game always dumb when Karl Franz sends enemies across the entire old world to come fight you while you are poor and can only afford the lovely goats though.

Infantry just doesn't really seem worth it, Minotaurs are your infantry/cavalry in one, especially since you can stack a completely absurd amount of weapon damage on them.