Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 30, 1952)

That woman is angry.
I read both the clothing and the speech in this as very class-coded, which makes this a weirdly political statement, whereas once we had it all and could laugh at the simple things, but now, wow, we're all working class; mother has to wear the apron and the son is a scruff, and our disaffection is so high we not only don't appreciate but can't tolerate what was once enough to amuse us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (October 23-29, 2000)

Well. It's late October, in 2000. You know what this means. You best believe we doin' an election storyarc. (During which Holbrook's contempt for politics will become very clear.)

"The sheep rioting at the Chicago convention" is a reference to the protests that went down before and during the 1968 DNC in Chicago, which saw the Chicago PD, the National Guard, the US Army, and the FBI, with the explicit support and approval of Democratic leaders, including Noted rear end in a top hat Richard J. Daley, put down pro-peace (these were the Vietnam years) and anti-establishment protests. It resulted in the Chicago Seven being put on trial.

I know there are a few Chicagoans here itt who can probably expand on all this, if they want.

(Personall, I think the strip is a bit tone deaf.)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Drakyn posted:

You reassure me, but now I'm imagining Bootsie's wake and funeral extended over multiple strips and it's almost worth it. The pallbearers all get broken arms fighting each other over who he owed more money so the coffin has to be dragged to the cemetary; three separate ladies show up who all seem equally convinced they've been Mrs. Bootsie for fifteen years; a general arrives to court martial the deceased for profligate misuse of military supplies; and the priest delivers an unsolicited rant on how that bum always stiffed him at the collection plate.

Then just as they throw the first handful of earth in, Bootsie wakes up with a TERRIBLE hangover.

I want this movie.

Also, second panel of the first strip of Moomin is avatar-worthy.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"How much did you buy the eggs for on Malta, Private Bootsie?"

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
OK OUR INTERNET WENT DOWN AN HOUR AFTER I MADE MY LAST POST. ITS BACK FOR GOOD THO

GARFIELD

HEATHCLIFF

OVERBOARD

MONTY

NO RAE THE DOE ON WEEKENDS

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "24 - Jucika at an Open-Air Show"

"felvonás=act"

"Jucika Finds Protection"

Me and the boys flicking cherry pits at women in the park.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Apr 18, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doomykins posted:

Me and the boys flicking cherry pits at women in the park.

Probably trying to make a "basket"

Sexual harassment knows no bounds

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:getin:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DAWN OF THE LAST DAY
24 Hours Remain

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 8, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 8, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 8, 1989)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Ghostlight posted:

I read both the clothing and the speech in this as very class-coded, which makes this a weirdly political statement, whereas once we had it all and could laugh at the simple things, but now, wow, we're all working class; mother has to wear the apron and the son is a scruff, and our disaffection is so high we not only don't appreciate but can't tolerate what was once enough to amuse us.

it also weirdly looks like it might be the same man and son, but different woman, which also raises some questions for me!

count me as another surprised by the actually nice Luann! hold on to tht feeling folks because it's fleeting!

It used to be young women loved to do (seemingly a weeks worth of) dishes!

Slammy posted:

Banana Oil! (February 19, 1924)

but now, wow!!!

also, i can't quite articulate why other than "is a batiuk character," but i want harry dinkle to die!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Dinkle does more Boomery smirking than anyone else and he deserves the crippling stroke or whatever more than Crankshaft.

Scary Gary

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

LazyQ posted:

Should clarify that I meant "ratted out" as a joke. They posted about it in seemingly good faith and couple other people jumped in about how posting Mämmilä here is a copyright violation (which, frankly, it is). The tone was such that I wouldn't have been surprised if they had contacted Koivisto about it. I didn't engage and there was no trouble for me.
Ah glad to hear that!
This could be a Ballard Street.

sweeperbravo posted:

it also weirdly looks like it might be the same man and son, but different woman, which also raises some questions for me!
I think it may supposed to be the boy as an adult with his own wife and son in the second panel, which would explain why they look somewhat alike, but the woman doesn't.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

Drew's too sexy for the waiting room.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

NEXT: A new adventure!

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

I had a BIG skink living in my storage unit for a a good while. was a little surprising at times, but was welcome. Eats bugs and mice and such.

Skinks welcome, anytime.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It seems like Gunther isn't getting lines lately in Luann.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Howard Beale posted:

"How much did you buy the eggs for on Malta, Private Bootsie?"

That's some catch.

Edit: Also, the art in that Flash Forward reminds me of that new She-Ra cartoon.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

It seems like Gunther isn't getting lines lately in Luann.

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Monday will likely start the next chapter in the narrative in which he’ll be indignant and pissy towards Bets, for a reason even more asinine and stupid than we could predict.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Samovar posted:

That's some catch.

Edit: Also, the art in that Flash Forward reminds me of that new She-Ra cartoon.

And also the reboot of Hart of the City

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows how to reach the children.

Working Daze tires me out.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix is a weird habit, I know.

Cul De Sac doesn't like change.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender

I would read and/or watch this Bird Noir

Johnny Walker posted:

This could be a Ballard Street.

I get strong Yellow Submarine vibes myself.

Also everytime you see a skink outside scurrying around you have to yell "SKINK!" at it, it's the law.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (October 5, 1991)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

A mild critique, given that the whole point of this arc is that Bets is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat who should be burned at the stake with all the other bad girlfriends who like social media, but one that I keep thinking about:

One of Bets' major failings as a human is that she is super-online, right? She does a lot of streaming, is always posting on the socials, and has a large fanbase. She likes to post and stream about her relationship with Gunther and her fans seem to like updates on the romance between a cosplayer and her costumer. Hell, she seemed to be planning to post or stream heavily about this date. So why leave in a huff?

A semi-competent streamer/influencer could really make some hay out of this. "Woop! There was a mix-up! We thought it would be pirates and the venue thought it would be fancy romance! Despite the miscommunication, we all had a lovely time, some fabulous food, and a big laugh!" Cue pics and videos of her and Gunther being all cute and piratey in front of a harpist. How wacky! How fun! Bets and Gunther seem so cool, letting this roll of their backs and not ruin their night! The venue owner sure did take it well, having a couple of nasty pirates in her elegant love nest! These are some kind and fun-loving people that everyone can feel good about supporting and following!

Oh, no, just going to throw a tantrum and leave? Maybe post about how lovely your night was? Bad feelings all around? Enjoy the Internet calling you Karen, I guess. (No one will call her Karen. If anybody gets mad at Bets it'll just be Gunther. Also the strip is co-written by a Karen.)

Julet Esqu fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 18, 2021

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Mikl posted:

Well. It's late October, in 2000. You know what this means. You best believe we doin' an election storyarc. (During which Holbrook's contempt for politics will become very clear.)

"The sheep rioting at the Chicago convention" is a reference to the protests that went down before and during the 1968 DNC in Chicago, which saw the Chicago PD, the National Guard, the US Army, and the FBI, with the explicit support and approval of Democratic leaders, including Noted rear end in a top hat Richard J. Daley, put down pro-peace (these were the Vietnam years) and anti-establishment protests. It resulted in the Chicago Seven being put on trial.

I know there are a few Chicagoans here itt who can probably expand on all this, if they want.

(Personall, I think the strip is a bit tone deaf.)

Eleanor may have been dressed up as a protester there, but Kell's comment in the previous comic about how predators influence politics behind the scenes is just a reminder that K&K has always been about protecting the status quo of predators having power. It sounds more likely to me that the sheep riots were about prey species being angry over being murdered by predators, and Eleanor infiltrated their group and sold them out to the police.

gently caress you too, you little poo poo.

The punchline to this subplot is just perfect. :allears:

BigglesSWE posted:

Monday will likely start the next chapter in the narrative in which he’ll be indignant and pissy towards Bets Les, for a reason even more asinine and stupid than we could predict.

FTFY.

Gunther's supposed to be a Nice Guy, no way will Team Evans will show him being pissy toward Bets. Of course he'd be kind and capitulate to the insane demands of his controlling girlfriend. Don't you think he deserves better and have Bets go away forever?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Johnny Walker posted:

Flash Forward

I like this one strip :shobon:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

I’m pretty sure that Those Were The Days is about the rise of standup. There was a lot of contemporary complaining along the lines of “standing up while telling jokes isn’t a real job/art form, it’s just jokes! I could do that!”

And whoever posted that Zits before, no worries! Especially since I already posted it :D

Classic Zits

One of the things I really like about these classic strips is the lettering, the interjections of script are really nice to look at.
It doesn’t seem like modern Zits mentions Hector’s Mexican background anymore, which is a shame. We’ll have a few nice strips about it in this collection, though.

Bibliotechno Music fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 18, 2021

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (October 30, 1952)

That woman is angry.
I'm in camp "TWTD isn't always intending to make the modern side of things be 100% bad"(although the "women? wearing PANTS? comic didn't help my case). In this case I'm pretty sure the joke is "people are rolling their eyes at jokes so old their grandparents' parents were telling them".

Breaking news: Being nosy & weird about your kid talking on the phone means your kid won't want to tell you anything about who they're talking to!

Bibliotechno Music posted:

Classic Zits

One of the things I really like about these classic strips is the lettering, the interjections of script are really nice to look at.
It doesn’t seem like modern Zits mentions Hector’s Mexican background anymore, which is a shame. We’ll have a few nice strips about it in this collection, though.
Is there some reason you're timg-ing all of these? It makes them slightly annoying to read.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Transmodiar posted:

Modesty Blaise

Dear God! A Coat! The impropriety! :monocle:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

This was actually funny. I like the idea of the Phantom having little projects, like building a costume room, that he's really proud of while everyone else is:rolleyes:

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Haifisch posted:

I'm in camp "TWTD isn't always intending to make the modern side of things be 100% bad"(although the "women? wearing PANTS? comic didn't help my case). In this case I'm pretty sure the joke is "people are rolling their eyes at jokes so old their grandparents' parents were telling them".

Breaking news: Being nosy & weird about your kid talking on the phone means your kid won't want to tell you anything about who they're talking to!

Is there some reason you're timg-ing all of these? It makes them slightly annoying to read.

I’m doing everything from my tablet, so I didn’t realize it was showing up differently on a desktop! Thanks for letting me know, fixed.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

And that's the end of 'The Conscientious Moomins', join us next time for a re-adaptation of 'Moomin and the Comet'.
(People might remember that Kennel kindly scanned and posted a 'Moomin and the end of the world' story march, last year. (How prescient, eh?) They bear some similarities, but showing is better than telling.)

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

SubNat posted:

Moominposting

And that's the end of 'The Conscientious Moomins', join us next time for a re-adaptation of 'Moomin and the Comet'.
(People might remember that Kennel kindly scanned and posted a 'Moomin and the end of the world' story march, last year. (How prescient, eh?) They bear some similarities, but showing is better than telling.)

that was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Ballard Street