Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Fun Shoe

US Berder Patrol posted:

I don't believe your liberty should hinge on your wealth is all I meant. The idea that someone should be allowed to go free if they pony up some arbitrary dollar amount seems wrong to me. If they're violent and need to be corralled somewhere for everyone's safety, fine. They ought not be able to patch that up with a bond.

Oh absolutely. I think we're in complete agreement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

Bail reform is definitely needed, but getting rid of cash bail altogether without mandating that violent offenses aren't eligible for bail is a recipe for disaster. Look at how many people who have warrants out for violent offenses, and go on to commit further violent crimes. That poo poo just discredits (in the public's eyes) the entire "end cash bail" movement, which in reality is meant to make sure poor people arrested for Nonviolent or petty offenses aren't sitting in jail for months or years.

Like defunding the police, ending cash bail isn't an immediately obvious phrase. A suspect should be kept in jail or released pending trial regardless of financial circumstances - ending cash bail doesn't mean a suspect can't be remanded. There's some historical logic around cash bail and it could potentially be reformed in a more equitable way, but in practice today it means poor people sit in jail for while other people go home for the same crimes. This also impacts how plea deals go down, since poor people are pressured to agree to something to get a chance to go home.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Bored As gently caress posted:

The issue is that when you end cash bail, you also have to mandate incarceration for violent offenses, and especially repeat violent offenders.

I would think that part would be obvious. Its not an argument against ending cash bail.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dangerous offenders aren’t supposed to be eligible for cash bail. Prosecutors use the ability to set unreasonable bail amounts to be lazy and not have to actually show that someone is a danger.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I think there should be a massive judicial expansion, mostly under the argument that "justice deferred is justice denied."

Like. Imagine how crazy it would be if going to court wasn't massive cost and time calculation? It would kill off arbitration and also make it possible for folks to actually seek enforcement of rights violations, rather than the courts being basically just a venue for the wealthy.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

El Mero Mero posted:

It would kill off arbitration and also make it possible for folks to actually seek enforcement of rights violations, rather than the courts being basically just a venue for the wealthy.

Ding ding ding

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The only way that will happen is if the Supreme Court rules that speedy trial refers to actual calendar days.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Bring back night court.

24/7 courts working in shifts, assembly line style.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
thread title suggestion to celebrate America getting back to greatness:

April gunshowers mean May funeral flowers

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

boop the snoot posted:

thread title suggestion to celebrate America getting back to greatness:

April gunshowers mean May funeral flowers

We’ve got twelve more days to bury the dead and try the bronies, things can change.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

Dangerous offenders aren’t supposed to be eligible for cash bail. Prosecutors use the ability to set unreasonable bail amounts to be lazy and not have to actually show that someone is a danger.

I would love to see it gone but at this point I feel like ending cash bail just means everyone gets charged with "assaulting an officer" in addition to whatever they got hauled in for.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Resisting arrest would be considered a violent crime and cops yell “stop resisting” completely out of reflex so

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Speaking of, 3 dead in northwest Austin. Police are saying it's another "isolated incident", so just a light spot of killing, no worry at all that the suspect is still at large.

https://twitter.com/Austin_Police/status/1383849700298690562?s=19

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

FrozenVent posted:

Bring back night court.

24/7 courts working in shifts, assembly line style.

Enough with the television reboots already, lets see some new material.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Wombot posted:

Austin Police are saying it's another "isolated incident",

Can’t believe this dude stepped outside of the mass shooter network and acted as a lone wolf

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wombot posted:

Speaking of, 3 dead in northwest Austin. Police are saying it's another "isolated incident", so just a light spot of killing, no worry at all that the suspect is still at large.

https://twitter.com/Austin_Police/status/1383849700298690562?s=19

They have closed a nearby major road (loop 360). They also have the general area locked down, with almost all of the ambulances in the area prestaged.

I believe their statements are attempting to prevent mass panic.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Just locking down the entire neighborhood for an isolated domestic dispute, as one does.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Meanwhile in PYF someone found a goon who's a pedophile furry who wants to gently caress animals.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Like, baby animals?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Just locking down the entire neighborhood for an isolated domestic dispute, as one does.

They are still looking for the dude. The area is set up in a way that they need lots of people to look for someone that is trying to hide. Lots of trees and hiking trails, parks etc.

I’d be willing to bet that they know exactly who he is. They likely already know of him from previous domestic calls to the address. So it could be reasonable to assume that the dead were the only targets.

I’m not trying to make a commentary on the normalization of events like this, I’m just trying to provide context from the area since it’s very close to me and I’m familiar with it.

Edit: they just said they do know who he is, they are looking for him etc, they don’t think he is looking to shoot anyone else.

ASAPI fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 18, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Meanwhile in PYF someone found a goon who's a pedophile furry who wants to gently caress animals.

You're gonna have to narrow it down

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Fallom posted:

Like, baby animals?

They're a diaperfur so probably.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

They're a diaperfur so probably.

So that’s a thing :yikes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Milo and POTUS posted:

You're gonna have to narrow it down

:nms: Click this at your own risk. :nms:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Not a chance in hell.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Blue Angels are about to do their first program of the year with their new jets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrDf0-IHkqg

It's a low program, though. :smith:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

ASAPI posted:

They are still looking for the dude. The area is set up in a way that they need lots of people to look for someone that is trying to hide. Lots of trees and hiking trails, parks etc.

I’d be willing to bet that they know exactly who he is. They likely already know of him from previous domestic calls to the address. So it could be reasonable to assume that the dead were the only targets.

I’m not trying to make a commentary on the normalization of events like this, I’m just trying to provide context from the area since it’s very close to me and I’m familiar with it.

Edit: they just said they do know who he is, they are looking for him etc, they don’t think he is looking to shoot anyone else.

Apparently dude is a cop arrested for sexual assault last year. Or at least shares the name with that person, and the cops are not saying it *isn't* him.

https://amp.statesman.com/amp/7278131002

Edit: *child* sexual assault.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Given the choice I'd rather get rid of the kiwifarms/ED/SS regular.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not a choice we have to make thanks to El Jefe :911:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edited out and appears to be expunged from the thread, you're safe to click now.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I don't feel like clicking that, can you vaguely describe what it was in a way that won't make anyone projectile-vomit?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I don't feel like clicking that, can you vaguely describe what it was in a way that won't make anyone projectile-vomit?

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It's fairly obvious from everything s_e dredged up that MC sees themself as the baby in that fantasy, but yeah keep calling them a pedo.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's why we call them useful idiots

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Duzzy Funlop posted:

People re-litigating the FYAD deletion, FYAD defender logs in to doxx his posting enemy as a baby fur zoophilic person. Basically proving the point. Both posters permad.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Notahippie posted:

Apparently dude is a cop arrested for sexual assault last year. Or at least shares the name with that person, and the cops are not saying it *isn't* him.

https://amp.statesman.com/amp/7278131002

Edit: *child* sexual assault.

Yeah, the wife was filling me in. I had to rewatch the press conference, our audio was all jacked up.

Now I’m confused, one group is saying no danger, the other is saying he may take hostages.

In other news, my neighborhood is talking about an armed neighborhood watch. If that happens I’m getting a x amount of days since neighbors have shot themselves sign.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

ASAPI posted:

In other news, my neighborhood is talking about an armed neighborhood watch. If that happens I’m getting a x amount of days since neighbors have shot themselves sign.

911 Emergency.

:downs: A roving band of armed people are walking around the neighborhood and they look like they want to pick a fight please send help!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Not a choice we have to make thanks to El Jefe :911:

Well i didnt like the comics he posted in the Comic thread anyways. Somehow almost all the ones they posted were terrible.

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

:siren: Multiball!! :siren:

https://twitter.com/cbschicago/status/1383761709068800012?s=19

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Defenestrategy posted:

911 Emergency.

:downs: A roving band of armed people are walking around the neighborhood and they look like they want to pick a fight please send help!

Oh yeah, I will make their lives hell. We have a guy complaining that he can’t legally drink while concealing. This neighborhood will implode one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

CainFortea posted:

People re-litigating the FYAD deletion, FYAD defender logs in to doxx his posting enemy as a baby fur zoophilic person. Basically proving the point. Both posters permad.

The doxxer wasn't a FYAD defender. Which just makes the whole thing weirder.