Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nurrwick
Jul 5, 2007

Wark Say posted:

It's a Schecter... I wanna say a Stiletto?

Oh nice! They look intriguing insofar as I want to try one despite having a fretless bass I’m already not super great at playing. Lines would help, but so would practice, and practice is cheaper than a second instrument in the role.

I’ve heard decent things about the Stilettos before and kept meaning to try one in the before times, might have to once vac rates are back up. I didn’t realize the front pickup is a 35 J and not a 35 DC, so given my proclivity for HS basses, that might even tickle my ears the right way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I told myself that every time this band and song pop into memory, I'd share them somewhere because someone else must know my pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkp48SZ0Gf4

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
^^^ What the hell is gong on with his snare? Is that a video effect or a real object? I do like his stupid little upside down bell cymbal however. I see you and raise you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeAd-ZUrJOE

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

I told myself that every time this band and song pop into memory, I'd share them somewhere because someone else must know my pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nkp48SZ0Gf4

That's the Lars St. Anger snare. Aghhhhh!

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

nurrwick posted:

Oh nice! They look intriguing insofar as I want to try one despite having a fretless bass I’m already not super great at playing. Lines would help, but so would practice, and practice is cheaper than a second instrument in the role.

I’ve heard decent things about the Stilettos before and kept meaning to try one in the before times, might have to once vac rates are back up. I didn’t realize the front pickup is a 35 J and not a 35 DC, so given my proclivity for HS basses, that might even tickle my ears the right way.

A Schecter Stilleto was my first real bass! I didn't choose the color (cherry quilt burst!!!!) or the pickups (active HH) or how many frets it had (all of them, in the world) but it was a joy to play. Once I discovered tapewound strings on a Jazz bass that was that, but I have fond feelings about Schecters. It's the completely wrong bass for me, but by no means bad. Styled a little edgelordy, but a perfectly fine instrument.

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 17, 2021

Preggo My Eggo!
Jun 17, 2010
I also love my Schecter bass, stiletto stealth 4 with humbucker and split coils. Sounds great, easy to play, and it does all the sounds.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Fretboard talk has led us full circle into tone being almost all in the hands, not the gear.

IMO as long as your getting a sound out of an instrument in a way that feels natural and that other people enjoy, who cares. If you're not missing strings or unnecessarily bending notes who cares how you hit the strings.

I started on bass originally and just moved most of my left hand over to guitar, and I've found that whatever rudimentary bass lessons I had have not been reflected in any other guitarist's techniques. I was told to hold firm to the fretboard just on the off-side of the fret itself. Not ever going to claim that as the definitive way but it works for me- it also helps with muscle memory as my left hand knows where the frets are without looking a lot of the time. My two main guitars now are a Fender Cabronita tele and an Ibanez RGD 7 string and I play both fine with the same ape fisted technique.

Its about feel and sound. It's why we play. It's why seeing bassists who play lines I've written with a pick bugs me but I don't dare say anything.

Animal Friend fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 17, 2021

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Tone is in the fingers, and what is in my fingers is the Dunlop Jazz III Ultex 2.0. Accept only the finest tone picks.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you can tell the difference in tone between any of the materials in your guitars you’re probably not using enough distortion

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If you aren’t doing Zakk squeelies in peoples’ dumb faces you hosed up.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Lester Shy posted:

^^^ What the hell is gong on with his snare? Is that a video effect or a real object? I do like his stupid little upside down bell cymbal however.

The weirdest thing about the drum kit is that there are no toms. Also IDK if it's pejorative, but as I understand it Epicardiectomy's music is referred to as 'wigger slam'.

I will never understand the appeal of those ultra-low growl vocals. Even in actually good bands like Nile, it just makes me wonder if I actually have severe hearing damage and I'm just missing some harmonic content in the voice that would make it at all intelligible. I don't think that's the case, though.

quote:

I see you and raise you:

Oh my, this is much worse. I think they're aping Bring Me The Horizon, right down to their anime haircuts and terrible band name. Is this a real song? Are the guitarists and keyboardist even in the same key? This is atrocious.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've always liked music that most people would call unintelligible noise, but there's good noise and bad noise, and I don't think I could ever define where the distinction lies. Probably whatever loud obnoxious band you're into as a teenager (Blood Brothers for me) gets set as your lifetime noise tolerance threshold.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lester Shy posted:

^^^ What the hell is gong on with his snare? Is that a video effect or a real object? I do like his stupid little upside down bell cymbal however. I see you and raise you:

I must be damaged, because I actually kinda liked this - normally death metal growling is a big NO for me. I really liked the gothy keyboard noodling over everything.

I went to see what else they had in Youtube and found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZn4dPgkNu0

Which sounds like the theme from that anime you've been watching. You know, that one. What's its name?

Lester Shy posted:

I've always liked music that most people would call unintelligible noise, but there's good noise and bad noise, and I don't think I could ever define where the distinction lies. Probably whatever loud obnoxious band you're into as a teenager (Blood Brothers for me) gets set as your lifetime noise tolerance threshold.

I feel this. It was probably a combination of early Ween and Beck for me, when they were a touch less slick. I like noise, but I also like to be able to groove to my noise.

I think Captain Beefheart could delineate it. I don't like Trout Mask Replica, because it sounds too chaotic, but I really like Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller).

Elissimpark fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 17, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Snowy posted:

If you can tell the difference in tone between any of the materials in your guitars you’re probably not using enough distortion

It's always this. But also tone blood from cutting yourself on your pointy guitar.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I like actual noise like Merzbow and Metal Machine Music, but still don't like the videos above.
edit: Or Trout Mask Replica. Go figure.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 17, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lester Shy posted:

tbf, Blood Brothers were fairly tuneful and did experiment with "softer" song structures as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik44dRjenVU

(From 1998-2003, The Blood Brothers were loving unbeatable in that weird, fucky sub-genre of hardcore punk they played)

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Wark Say posted:

tbf, Blood Brothers were fairly tuneful and did experiment with "softer" song structures as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik44dRjenVU

(From 1998-2003, The Blood Brothers were loving unbeatable in that weird, fucky sub-genre of hardcore punk they played)

Burn piano island burn and crimes are both great records imo

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Lester Shy posted:

posting anything from victory records is basically cheating

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Spanish Manlove posted:

posting anything from victory records is basically cheating
Victory from after, like, both Darkest Hour and Between the Buried and Me left (both bands literally left in 2010 almost at the same time, with Darkest Hour being unable to keep labels for more than one release at a time and BTBAM keeping it to 3-album-deals between Metal Blade and Sumerian).

Also Tony Brummel is an obnoxious, corrupt, sabotaging dickhead (but who doesn't know that already).

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Well I just confirmed that sweetwater really is the boomer shop of choice because you can sort guitars by lightest first

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Wouldn't the boomer thing be to buy the heaviest guitar (cause more weight means it holds more tones) and then never play it because your back is hosed and the boat anchor makes it worse?

Altho I guess they need an alternative to actually play. But that's a maybe if they actually play.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

heavy = durable = quality = American :911:

light = plastic = cheap = foreign = bad

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like that they post weight on individual guitars, just checking out a classic vibe strat you can get the same model weighing either 5lbs 15oz or 7lbs 4oz. I’m sure there’s models with more variation than that, I just started poking around.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

syntaxfunction posted:

Wouldn't the boomer thing be to buy the heaviest guitar (cause more weight means it holds more tones) and then never play it because your back is hosed and the boat anchor makes it worse?

Altho I guess they need an alternative to actually play. But that's a maybe if they actually play.

naw, the heavy one is for the display case. The light one you actually play. Sometimes. Mostly just chills in the other display case. Yea, did the LED strip lighting myself! Thanks!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Well of course! You don't won't to mess with the investments! If you play it you might scratch it and then you're losing out on your return!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bees x1000 posted:

heavy = durable = quality = American :911:
(does not extend to Gibson Les Paul's necks)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Been a while, youse guys:

🤔

🧐

:vince:

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Lone Wolf guy is a troubled individual and kinda makes me want to buy an HM-2w

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bragging about using an autorouter and lovely spaghetti wiring is such a sad flex.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

bees x1000 posted:

Lone Wolf guy is a troubled individual and kinda makes me want to buy an HM-2w

I'm gonna buy one as soon as I can.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Been a while, youse guys:

🤔

That's a photo of the screen instead of a screenshot? LMAO.

Seeing how not mad the guy is just makes me wanna buy the waza.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 19, 2021

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Between the katana update and the inevitable waza HM2 I palm slam purchase it's a good week for me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

BTW this was Jojo's response when Boss announced the Waza HM-2w:

Naturally, this became a meme/copypasta amongst our kind.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Sure the guys in Japan taped out the board onto a single layer PCB back in 1982, but My innovation was to use the EAGLE auto-router on default settings.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Interested to know what sort of explicitly death metal gear old mate thinks boss should be making. Also loving :lol: at him still using autoroute and lug pots, I’m surprised he’s even using eagle with how fuckin caveman his process is

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Chalupa Joe posted:

That's a photo of the screen instead of a screenshot? LMAO.

I don't know why but this is my favorite detail.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Scene: sometime last month.

"Darkwasthenight - need you to do us a quick video for this 4/20 amp promotion we're doing with Reverb. It's 5 Watts with a 112 cab and we need you to make it sound as huge as possible."

"...Can I buy two smoke machines on expenses?"

"Sure."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qVhTo1kJU

C# standard with a drop B, if you were wondering. Gain from amp.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The real stupid music poo poo is selling those for less than £420 imo!!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Siivola posted:

The real stupid music poo poo is selling those for less than £420 imo!!

That was actually the original idea for a custom tolex head + cab bundle, but logistics happened and Reverb really wanted to make it work in time so we just stuck with the ones we put up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

God drat I love Hiwatt till I die and beyond. That's right, I'll demand Hiwatt on my rider in hell.