Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Midjack posted:

Looking at the Wikipedia page, I would be very interested in hearing about the Gilmore Guys. I will also make it a point to hit Lawry's next time I'm in LA (November, maybe).

Its a must!

STR posted:

I knew Lawry's had a restaurant (there's one in Dallas, though I've never been), knew about the salt (it was a staple in my grandmother's house, my mother's house, and my home as well... plus I kinda work in a grocery store). Didn't know about the history though, that's pretty neat. Especially the carts.

the salt is pretty ubiquitous, there are a few burger joints that use it on their fries, and I use it on my own fries.. and pretty much everything... as well.

PainterofCrap posted:

No idea. Wait 'til my wife hears about this. She loves the old prime-rib joints.

Dinner clubs are apparently a big thing in Wisconsin, I wonder if they don't pre-date the California locations.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/chi-defining-wisconsins-supper-club-culture-20150119-story.html

https://www.travelwisconsin.com/dining/supper-clubs

I'm sure they do, LA in general really doesn't have that long of a history - a lot of this stuff is melded from all over the place

another awesome place, strangely owned by the same company that owns Lawrys is the Tam O' Shanter

It doesn't quite look as whimsical anymore, as this version burnt down sometime in the 40s I think? anyway, this place is equally delicious and even influenced walt disney... theres a lot to this story too.

StormDrain posted:

That garage as an impressive layering of cool poo poo. Interested in how you think two cars fit there, but I saw my neighbor cram three wide in his two car garage with dollies so what do I know.

The garage is pretty dense, and I'm always adding to it!

I have a bunch of stuff on the far side of it including like 5 bicycles - I did some basic measuring/figuring and I think I can get them both in there - the model a on the work bench side so that it can just be pushed straight out to allow access to the bench. I have some lovely wheel dollies too, I think a lot of this will be easier if it was a running car. again, as of right now, my plan is to bring the rolling frame/driveline back to my place while the body is getting the floors replaced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

StormDrain posted:

That garage as an impressive layering of cool poo poo. Interested in how you think two cars fit there, but I saw my neighbor cram three wide in his two car garage with dollies so what do I know.

It can be done. (with floor jacks)

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

There were/are some amazing supper clubs jammed into Wisconsin backwaters.

This page all about the Gobbler is an internet Khole

http://www.lileks.com/institute/motel/

Sadly quite a few are shadows of their former selves if they are still operating today. And I'm sure covid killed a few. It killed the Chicago lawrys :(

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
holy poo poo that Gobbler was pretty epic - I could literally feel the static electricity shocks looking at those photos, carpet everywhere.

Kinda reminds me of a later Madonna Inn:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

You're adding to my list of things I need to do when it's safe again, dammit.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

You're adding to my list of things I need to do when it's safe again, dammit.

I could go on and on about LA spots! ever been to Pann's? Perhaps the most in tact 1950s diner in the world - the original owner Rina passed away at 102 years old only a few years ago, she was a regular staple at the counter every lunch time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

I could go on and on about LA spots! ever been to Pann's? Perhaps the most in tact 1950s diner in the world - the original owner Rina passed away at 102 years old only a few years ago, she was a regular staple at the counter every lunch time.

Love this. I grew up in rural Tennessee, went to school in Atlanta, and have lived in the DC area ever since, and I just love all the neat little things in southern California every time I'm out there.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Midjack posted:

Love this. I grew up in rural Tennessee, went to school in Atlanta, and have lived in the DC area ever since, and I just love all the neat little things in southern California every time I'm out there.

This one is right near the airport too, whenever we pick up out of towners or family this is the first stop for the weary traveler. It's still family owned which is great. I worked over there for a number of years and this was almost my daily eater, the waitresses knew me by name and I knew theirs. Forget about getting a seat at this place (before covid) on a sunday morning - They have done only upkeep to this place over the years and the food is amazing quality.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

LobsterboyX posted:

holy poo poo that Gobbler was pretty epic - I could literally feel the static electricity shocks looking at those photos, carpet everywhere.

Kinda reminds me of a later Madonna Inn:

Good God, the Madonna Inn. I went there with my mom after my uncle died. It's a whacky place. I hope you like pink.

A lot.

No, more than that. Like an unreasonable amount.

https://www.madonnainn.com/dining

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Good God, the Madonna Inn. I went there with my mom after my uncle died. It's a whacky place. I hope you like pink.

A lot.

No, more than that. Like an unreasonable amount.

https://www.madonnainn.com/dining

I hope you hit the mens room downstairs... pee in to a waterfall...

Its so 50s tacky that its become chic again, every room is different and there are several cave rooms all with custom rock work waterfall showers

the infamous caveman room - I stayed a night in this room, it is beyond wild.

we stop there ever year after racing - peep the sign in the background

Also, this place is super special to my wife and I, we stayed there the night I proposed to her, and we also had part of our honeymoon there. We even flirted with the idea to have our wedding cake made there and run down to LA, but it was too risky as the cake has to be refrigerated - we settled on having a master baker (and i mean loving master, this guy nailed every aspect of the cake, we were loving blown away) for our wedding.

yes those are dealership promo models of the cars we had when we met, and yes we got married at a train museum.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fornax Disaster posted:

That’s what my Cutlass had. The guy at the town starter and alternator shop was surprised that it was for a car, not a tractor.

Same here, also a Cutlass (1970, 35A externally regulated.) It's now a 90A GM 12SI (internally regulated.)

And OMG, those Meat Carts are incredible looking.
Now I need to go to Lawry's here in Dallas, even if they don't use those. Just because.

IOwnCalculus posted:

It almost feels weird saying this about a serving cart, but that's some goddamn metal artistry.

Yeah, that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IOwnCalculus posted:

It almost feels weird saying this about a serving cart, but that's some goddamn metal artistry.

It was one of the signs of greatness in a culture: the development of a rich tradition of industrial art. This country used to produce beautifully designed and executed products: tools, trains, towel racks - nothing was too complicated, advanced, or mundane to be missed by the hand of an engineer with the heart of an artist. And solidly made. I have 75-year-old gardening tools because someone cared about quality and their name on a product. Even cheap 'economy' tools were built to last.

I have shown and demonstrated to my son, again and again throughout his life: here is a tool. Here is a simple thing: but look at the time care and attention that went into making something that was durable, beautiful, and worked...and still works. This was the America of my youth - at the very end of this golden age. This culture is not dead, although seriously diminished. It was pervasive and everywhere; it can be again.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PainterofCrap posted:

It was one of the signs of greatness in a culture: the development of a rich tradition of industrial art. This country used to produce beautifully designed and executed products: tools, trains, towel racks - nothing was too complicated, advanced, or mundane to be missed by the hand of an engineer with the heart of an artist. And solidly made. I have 75-year-old gardening tools because someone cared about quality and their name on a product. Even cheap 'economy' tools were built to last.

I have shown and demonstrated to my son, again and again throughout his life: here is a tool. Here is a simple thing: but look at the time care and attention that went into making something that was durable, beautiful, and worked...and still works. This was the America of my youth - at the very end of this golden age. This culture is not dead, although seriously diminished. It was pervasive and everywhere; it can be again.

This is like a closing statement of a Hunter S Thompson essay. It's good.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Well put - and ain't it the truth. Even with these cars, they've well outlived their duty cycle by a long shot.

read this at your own risk:

In my younger days the facts that those days are over would actually send me in to a depression - I'd look at these old pictures of what used to be and notice the deep colors of the signs, the cool cars, the architecture, the gimmicks - I'd get so frustrated that people just couldn't see how beautiful this stuff was, and how easy it would be to do it again, and how far we slipped- Heavy gauge metal porcelain signs is one of the best examples of this. Plastic liquor store signs just cost less... LED's cost less, the fact that they don't need to be designed costs less, is there any care that goes in to it, any sort of visual stimulation to draw you to it? No, of course not, but try to talk about it mimicking a 1950s salesman pitch about the sign business - of course you can have a sign that costs less, but does it carry visual appeal, does it stir something in you that may divert your attention for a split second? what if it was something beautiful and functional for... just a bit more money... - its super aggravating to me when perfectly good old buildings are torn down to build apartment complexes that no one can afford to live in - its progress, and I loathe it. So often do I talk like this and people respond to it in so many ways - some just kinda say "get over it" or "oh well" - some try to bring up arguments about how wrong I am citing environmental impact, economics, and a myriad of different reasons that just serve to deflect how far this country has gotten - I guess some people take it as a social commentary on my part, or maybe I just have unpackaged issues that I cope with by trying to find the beauty in things, or maybe I just want to see something different happen

Everyone does it - the rose colored glasses... "if you had unlimited money..." - I'd tell you one of the many weird things I'd - I'd buy an ugly strip mall, tear it down and build a painstakingly accurate, yet standard conforming, and slightly modified to increase flow, recreation of a gas station, complete with old pumps that functioned as modern ones do, multi grade, E85, hydrogen - whatever, pay attendants to act the part and just see what happened. How would that trickle down? would it become more than a gas station? would you go there just to check it out because it was not normal? eh whatever makes me sleep better at night...

the other side to that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dive!_(restaurant)

/rant

Anyway!

Worked the battery loose and discovered that somewhere along the line someone decided to convert to 12 volt...

just put the trickle on it, it'll be alright...

once that battery was out, it gave me a bit better view of the distributor which really gives me hope

this looks like a fairly recent update - I mean recent as in most likely this was a running driving car when it was parked - every bit is in place and looks nice.

maybe they didn't do the coil..

Note there's only one wire coming out of that coil.. This was a common anti-theft thing, the positive wire came in thru a shielded metal cable run in to the back of the coil, these replacements haven't been made since the 50s, however there are some NOS ones I've seen around, but gently caress all this noise, I'm a strong believer in the pertronix units, this car will be no exception

Started cleaning things up on top of the motor, and pulled the water pump/jackets

yummy! nice and sludgy - I took the radiator over to a shop and while the core can't be saved, and is barely flowing, he said it would be enough to get the car running and circulate and collect the crap inside the block which is plentiful - note the lower water port...

my "to sand blast" parts pile is growing I think in the next few weeks, I'm going to pull the nose off the car and prepare all the inner fender panels/splashpans/ and other underhood stuff for blasting - I figure if I do all the underhood stuff, I can leave the body however it turns out in case I ever want to paint this car

I made it up to my 88 year old friends place - we'll call him Mr. G - he's been driving, restoring, collecting and enjoying cars, mostly buick, since the mid 50s, he was a machinist for many many years, but he still works selling old car parts! I met him when I was in my teens, and he is the epitome of cool - his hair is always done, he's wearing graphic tee shirts with cuffed levis jeans and vans slip ons and has been since I've known him - he's really stuck in the 50s and has been since the 50s - hes like another grandpa to me and we talk almost weekly but whenever I go up there I'm there for hours and hours just talking about everything with him - If I'm there closer to evening time, we usually will sip some really nice tequila and thats when the really great stories start coming out. heres a sneak shot of one of his 4 garages:

if his garage looks similar to mine, its 100% by design, his place has been a huge influence to me over the years.

I've asked him if I can interview him, but he always declines and says "no one wants to hear from an old coot like me" - but they do... I'm going to figure out how to get it out of him one day, even if I have to secretly record him

I haven't seen him since covid started, so it was great to reconnect with him

I got some really cool parts (way more than this, just not pictured)

So the hood release is pretty loving cool - 1942 was the only year they advertised the model name on the hood release of the cars - My car had had the passenger side release changed to a smooth one, and he shockingly had a set of them that said Special -

We determined that my car was pretty early, probably within the first 100 of these cars made and was a non blackout model - with the blackout order for the impending war, car companies stopped chroming parts and started simply painting stuff silver - these are later hood releases, they are painted parts!

The part on the right is the trunk emblem that was broken on my car, its missing the plastic inserts that look like this:

Mr. G had a set that was sun faded, but he's restoring them for me using his secret method that he won't tell me..

I've also been trying to get these off of him for years...

in other news, the easter bunny visited -

when your wife tells you to park the hot rod on the grass, take the opportunity, but I paid the price

fouled these suckers pretty good - this drat thing is running really rich - I have some smaller main jets on order so we'll see how that goes..

maybe its pissed because it has to live outside for a bit..

also check out this cool mechanical fire alarm I picked up at a garage sale

this is a wind up bell that has a heat sensitive disc on the front of it that melts at 185 degrees, and releases the catch for the bell and sounds the alarm - the garage sale had 4 of these, but this was the only one with the disc in tact.

thats all I got for now

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Man, I wish I lived near you so I could help work on this stuff...
Or even near my coworker outside of San Jose, who's currently restoring a '67 Impala SS. I enjoyed my 2 weeks working in Southern CA back in ~2015, but I'm not sure I could afford to live there.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Darchangel posted:

Or even near my coworker outside of San Jose, who's currently restoring a '67 Impala SS. I enjoyed my 2 weeks working in Southern CA back in ~2015, but I'm not sure I could afford to live there.

your coworker sounds cool

it's not that expensive here, you can find ok deals from time to time. i live in san jose, and im paying under $2500/mo for 2 bedrooms and a 1-car (that can't fit a car through the door, but thats beside the point)

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Darchangel posted:

next time you come thru, drop in and see!

It's pretty expensive to live here and I'm getting down to my last straw with so-cal. I love it here, I grew up here, but I'm realllllly wanting to go get some giant victorian house with a giant garage in some town that was big stuff in the old days - these are dreams, my wifes family is here, and what little family I have left live all over the place so the only thing keeping us here is her family.

67 impala is a pretty clean year - I'm partial to 59, but who isnt...

Raluek posted:

it's not that expensive here, you can find ok deals from time to time. i live in san jose, and im paying under $2500/mo for 2 bedrooms and a 1-car (that can't fit a car through the door, but thats beside the point)

model t garage?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

LobsterboyX posted:

model t garage?

no, it's a duplex built probably in the 50s. garage is chopped up into thirds (front house/back house/landlord) so each section is deep but narrow.

my cars would fit, barely, width-wise, if the door opened all the way. its got sliding barn doors, but the slab has shifted over the years, so the door opens halfway before it wedges itself between the slab and the track

doesnt make a huge difference cause i have either space for all my tools/parts, or the car, so the car can sit outside i guess

DrChu
May 14, 2002

LobsterboyX posted:

model t garage?
Was this a common thing? My partner lives in a rowhouse in Philadelphia built in the 1920s, and like most of the other houses on the block (those that haven't converted the space into something else) has a tiny garage built into the rear of the house that barely fits my BRZ or the GTI I had before that:

There's only about three feet of space to the one side and back of the car, about a foot on the other and front, the car just makes it through the doors without hitting the mirrors. I always assumed the Model T was bigger, but I guess its just the height that made it look so, looking at the dimensions they are skinnier and shorter than most cars made more recently.

We've noticed this same block design repeated in the neighborhood so I think it was pretty common here at the time, but I guess it didn't last long as it seems cars started to bulk up in size in the 30s.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have a 20s era garage like that too. Cars were just real narrow.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yeah, my house was built in 1930 and had a small garage that could probably hold a Model A / Chevrolet of that time no problem.

Cramming my '66 Bonneville in there meant cutting out the lower rear wall to build a doghouse. The car was still two inches longer & the doors never shut right. I eventually tore it down and built something far larger.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
My parents old garage looked like a two car from the street but was tiny. We estimated it was built in the 1920s, newer than the house. The doors were horizontal sliding doors that wrapped around to the wall, reducing usable space inside even further.

It did fit a Model T Touring and a Willys Jeep with room to spare.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

LBX, I just read this thread from start to finish. It took a while but your stuff is always worth it.

I’m super jealous of the SoCal rummage scene. We go to Santa Barbara pretty frequently and my FIL and I always end up on runs to find old stuff for our projects. He finally had enough stuff stashed in his mom’s attic to drive down from Alaska, buy a trailer, fill it, and drive back. I haven’t quite gotten to that point *yet*.

I’m really surprised to see the Caddy gone! I remember when that thing got pinstriped. But I feel you on projects feeling like more of a liability than an asset.

Congrats on the family growing again! Your kid is super cute.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Yo, I found the wire!

It is not plug wire...

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

Yo, I found the wire!

It is not plug wire...

14 Gauge? what color is it? I use 14g on nearly everything!

Advent Horizon posted:

LBX, I just read this thread from start to finish. It took a while but your stuff is always worth it.

I’m super jealous of the SoCal rummage scene. We go to Santa Barbara pretty frequently and my FIL and I always end up on runs to find old stuff for our projects. He finally had enough stuff stashed in his mom’s attic to drive down from Alaska, buy a trailer, fill it, and drive back. I haven’t quite gotten to that point *yet*.

I’m really surprised to see the Caddy gone! I remember when that thing got pinstriped. But I feel you on projects feeling like more of a liability than an asset.

Congrats on the family growing again! Your kid is super cute.

thanks man! - I really miss the great estate sales, we're right at that point with baby boy where he can be a bit more autonomous and we can maybe go to some sales on the weekends -

I think about the caddy every so often, I really love the cars I have now and I'm honestly glad it moved on to a new life - I'm in to the earlier cars now, I like how simple they are, but occasionally I get in the mood for late 50s car again, but I'm not buying any more cars anytime lately.

____

So! speaking of my kid, he turns 1 year old in 3 days now.. it feels like yesterday...

we had a birthday party for him at an open air museum with family and a few friends - my wife had a cake version made of my wagon

he's of course very happy about everything

A friend of mine, we'll call him T-bone came up to visit us and meet baby Al for the first time - I met T-bone and his wife when they were freshly transplanted to LA in around 2009-2010 - I actually answered an ad on craigslist for some vintage bicycle parts - we just started talking and became friends really easily - I don't think I actually wound up buying anything from him from his craigslist ad - We are and have been fast friends for so long, we even worked together for a time at the NFL, our wives are great friends too and even my mom knew them and loved them - helped them through some tough times yadda yadda - Over the years T-bone and I have grown our collections in insane ways - both being huge fans of aviation and that golden era - he's actually the guy I got my tank from, and he owns my tanks twin. A few years back T-bone moved from his swanky downtown loft to the suburbs about an hour and a half away, we still talk weekly, but our in person visits have been really limited, with covid, the baby and distance.. So it was always good to see them in person as well.

After the party he insisted he come back to my place, we had some dealings to attend to, and of course I wanted him to check out my collection.

A few months ago he came up on an incredible find, and of course brought me in on it - As for a bit of back story, my grandfather worked for Douglas aircraft from 1935 to 1977 when he was forced in to retirement, he started as a machinist and ended his career as an upper level corporate man with Top Secret clearances. So anything Douglas is my favorite.

Douglas is famous for a few planes that were pivotal to the war effort, one of them being the SBD Dauntless which was a dive bomber:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_SBD_Dauntless

Being that it was a dive bomber it had a few tricks up its sleeve, including these dive, or air brakes that controlled dives to more accurately place munitions

these are characteristic to only this plane -

So when T-bone hit me up a few months ago, he sent me this photo:

finding one of these flaps is quite an accomplishment, but 40+ of them? that have been made in to a pool fence? find of the century. He himself did not make the find, but he facilitated a deal for a small quantity of them, 2 of which I had to spring on

The bright red paint is still somewhat visible on the bottom side of them as well. As you can see they were joined together by inserting some wire thru the hinges and basically making them hinge together. - I'm currently trying to separate them

so there's that...

but then there was more.

T-bone and I had very similar upbringings, older parents, appreciation for antiques and history, we're only a few years apart in age -we quote indiana jones lines in our sleep and both dressed as the rocketeer on Halloween in 1991 - When my mom passed away in 2015, he had experienced that loss before, and having known my mom so well, it really effected him and his wife. My friends all had a unique type of relationship with my mom, she was very special.

He pulled this rather large wrapped gift out of the back of his SUV and brought it down the driveway - I knew what it was instantly and while we were sitting there watching my son play with his cool new airplane themed toys, he kept telling me to unwrap this giant thing... I was already pretty floored that he would give me something like this as a gift, so I was already trying to figure out where I was going to put it.

As I tore the paper off, tears began filling my eyes, and by the time there was a pile of wrapping paper on the ground, I was full cry

This is an engine cowling from a Douglas DC4 that he hand painted with the Douglas logo and my moms name.

During the war air crews would paint the name of their sweethearts on each engine cowling like this - it is such an amazing tribute to my grandfather and my mom - I hugged the hell out of him and his wife and got the entire rundown of the history of these

These came from a high desert bone yard on a fleet of planes that were for sale they had been decommissioned cargo planes in the mid 80s, however they were all built as airliners in the mid 50s. This was during my grandfathers move up stages of his career where he was overseeing the production of the DC planes like this one. The DZUS fasteners on the top of the cowling are dated 1955.

he sent me this photo of the actual plane that this came from:

and more in waiting

He was obviously trying to get more parts from these planes, but they had been mostly sold off by the time he got there.

Either way, this is now a family heirloom, and I am forever indebted to him for this thoughtful gift.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's a hella cool cake, though the paint does need a polish, it's looking a little bumpy ;)

quote:

That is an absolutely amazing find :aaa:

Imagine walking along and spotting that, doing a double take and "waitaminute I know what those are!"

quote:

And this is just crazy cool! :aaaaa:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Raluek posted:

He's a cool older than me but not buy a lot guy. This is the latest in several restorations he's done. All Impalas, I think.

So, for reference, my 3 bed, 1-3/4 bath, 2 car garage 1400 sq. ft. house on a 0.23 acre lot is currently under $1000/month, principal and escrow for taxes, etc. included. So if I can make double my current salary here in Dallas doing desktop support in Cali, sure!

LobsterboyX posted:

next time you come thru, drop in and see!

It's pretty expensive to live here and I'm getting down to my last straw with so-cal. I love it here, I grew up here, but I'm realllllly wanting to go get some giant victorian house with a giant garage in some town that was big stuff in the old days - these are dreams, my wifes family is here, and what little family I have left live all over the place so the only thing keeping us here is her family.

I want a sprawling ranch house with a shop on at least a half-acre, preferable a couple acres.

quote:

67 impala is a pretty clean year - I'm partial to 59, but who isnt...

'66 is good too. I drove my late great uncle's near mint '66 more-door just before it was sold, and it was smooooooooth. Cornered like a boat, though (no anti-sway bars.)

I like '58s, just because they're odd. Now, a '59 El Camino...

Cool find on the Dauntless air brakes, and that cowling is not only an wonderful gesture, but freaking cool

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

LobsterboyX posted:

you might like marysville, it's a little like you describe. you will definitely be wanting for cool antique finds though, i dont know if anywhere in the US would be as good as LA for the kind of trinkets you treasure

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

KozmoNaut posted:

Imagine walking along and spotting that, doing a double take and "waitaminute I know what those are!"

Imagine how many weird things like this have bitten the dust because there wasn't someone there to say "waitaminute"... its what keeps me up at night

OMGVBFLOL posted:

you might like marysville, it's a little like you describe. you will definitely be wanting for cool antique finds though, i dont know if anywhere in the US would be as good as LA for the kind of trinkets you treasure

Which Marysville?

this is the kind of thing I'm talking about that drives me so nuts - A few years back a friend mentioned to me that he was once on tour with his band and stopped in to the city of St. Joseph Missouri - ever since he described what this place was all about I look at houses there and I'm dumbfounded about the amazing homes - im sure the grass is greener on the other side, and I know there's plenty of people that would kill to live where I live, but daydreaming about houses like this, in this price range is fun:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2808-Frederick-Ave-Saint-Joseph-MO-64506/110490953_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2101-Faraon-St-Saint-Joseph-MO-64501/110494396_zpid/

The one structure that I desire more than anything in the world is this mysterious building in Cayucos CA, built in 1932 along the famous roosevelt highway, it was originally called the Roosevelt Garage

It's family owned and has been for 70 something years, but its really a special place and makes me really happy.

Anyway..

a friend tipped me off to a guy selling these massive solid cast aluminum V8 emblems

the thing is a fuckin murder weapon... I had planned to put it in my sons room, but this thing is so dangerous - maybe when he's older..

I made an order for a ton of parts for the 42, so I figured I'd start getting a bit deeper in to it - cracked open the oil filter and check this old fucker out

the car has oil in it, but its all drained out of the filter canister over the years, but drat... the whole "last driven in 73" thing is looking more and more likely

a friend gave this to me - apparently spirited driving along the famous Mulholland highway has been something thats been going on for a long long time - there are many tales that I've heard over the years, but I can never really get a solid story out of anyone, but there are definitely people around who know more about it that are keeping tight lips. many years ago, after a few too many beers we decided to go looking for long lost cars that had washed out in the various canyons, I had actually seen one when I was very little, but don't remember anything about it or its location. there are very popular hiking trails all throughout the canyon system.. I've used these canyons to get to and from whatever job I've been on over the years - LA traffic sucks no matter what, but its more fun to take these canyons!

been driving this thing quite a bit - thats really it - hoping to have some time to work on the 42 this weekend!

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

LobsterboyX posted:

a friend gave this to me - apparently spirited driving along the famous Mulholland highway has been something thats been going on for a long long time - there are many tales that I've heard over the years, but I can never really get a solid story out of anyone, but there are definitely people around who know more about it that are keeping tight lips. many years ago, after a few too many beers we decided to go looking for long lost cars that had washed out in the various canyons, I had actually seen one when I was very little, but don't remember anything about it or its location. there are very popular hiking trails all throughout the canyon system.. I've used these canyons to get to and from whatever job I've been on over the years - LA traffic sucks no matter what, but its more fun to take these canyons!

If you're curious, there's a massive thread over on Pelican Parts that has a lot of older folks chiming in about their experiences back in the 70s and 80s Mulholland racing scene. Lotta photos from back in the day too.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/323773-what-happened-mulholland-king-hill-rsr.html

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

LobsterboyX posted:

Which Marysville?

I guess I should have assumed that there's be a lot of towns in the US named after the blessed virgin mother, but I meant the one north of Sacramento, across the river from Yuba City. It's an old school rural city, with medium-density building right up to the city line where it immediately becomes open farmland.

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

LobsterboyX posted:

he sent me this photo of the actual plane that this came from:

and more in waiting

He was obviously trying to get more parts from these planes, but they had been mostly sold off by the time he got there.

Either way, this is now a family heirloom, and I am forever indebted to him for this thoughtful gift.

I have an old coffee table book called Superprops, it’s a collection of photos taken in the 70s and 80s of old piston engined airliners that were still flying. These look like the fire fighting DC-4s operated by a company called Aero Union. The bulge on the bottom is the retardant tank.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Fornax Disaster posted:

I have an old coffee table book called Superprops, it’s a collection of photos taken in the 70s and 80s of old piston engined airliners that were still flying. These look like the fire fighting DC-4s operated by a company called Aero Union. The bulge on the bottom is the retardant tank.

good eye! I have to find that book - there's a great page on IG called civilian warbirds that focuses on the same things -

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

More wire details

Two-wire, about 12 or 10-ga stranded

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Apr 19, 2021

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

PainterofCrap posted:

More wire details

Two-wire, about 12 or 10-ga stranded

OOOH man thats cool - that would be perfect for a tail light harness, it would also be cool to start a fire! I'll message you on fb!

this is a video of the car running, I just dont know how to embed it?

so is this - I re-jetted the carbs and actually swapped one of the carbs out for a better one

a quick read tells me things are looking good, but the car is having a hard time coming off idle -

I buzzed the neighborhood pretty good and got some nasty looks so I let it be before dialing in the screws - yes I'm running NGK's - there's a Champion plug I've heard is quite a step up from these, but I can't seem to find them locally which is bugging me.

Also, I'm totally in the dark when it comes to spark plug tech - I'd love some info on more fancy plugs - this car is running a pertronix unit so the spark is pretty bulletproof - I've thought about trying some fancy iridium/dual point/fancy stuff, but honestly I don't know where to begin. these flathead 4 bangers love to foul out plugs for no apparent reason, other than the fact that the tolerances on these are like a tin can full of nuts and bolts...

It was a pretty dad duty kind of weekend, didn't get much wrenching or old car stuff in

But... I did enjoy this depression era treat because my wife left a Mexican coke unattended in the fridge

these cups are actually pretty cool - we bought 2 cases of them at an estate sale of a woman who was a rocket scientist at NASA's JPL in Pasadena CA, she had also worked on Apollo and Gemini. We talked to her daughter who was in her 60s (also a JPL employee) about how cool of a lady her mom was, these cups were new in the box and were given to her in the mid 60s at a Christmas party - I've only opened one box of them - they show all the different projects JPL was doing all the way back in to the mid 50s.

Speaking of cool glassware, I don't remeber if I ever showed you guys my Pyrex glass frying pan...

but its not big enough to make my other favorite depression era food "egg-in-a-hole"

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 19, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LobsterboyX posted:

But... I did enjoy this depression era treat because my wife left a Mexican coke unattended in the fridge

Okay what the gently caress

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay what the gently caress

It's kinda like a Payday bar in drink form. It's... Weird but good?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Those glasses are so cool! With so much awesomeness you have collected how do you decide what to use/open/keep? Do you sell much? I’d have to imagine you have some valuable items collecting dust

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We have a set of four of these glasses - unlike your tumblers, these are more of a novelty item than a memento. Shot from the nozzle, chaser in the big end.

We have a couple of those Pyrex pans, one of those 6" and I think we have a 10" or 12" somewhere, although my son may have nicked it for his house.

Also had the saucepan and a couple of the percolators, which made great coffee but were a bitch to clean. It is extremely counter-intuitive to cook in glass over an open flame.

LobsterboyX posted:

a quick read tells me things are looking good, but the car is having a hard time coming off idle -

Also, I'm totally in the dark when it comes to spark plug tech ...
You have to find the correct heat range. If the plugs are fouling, they're too 'cold' for your engine; and by the looks of those snowy deposits, the NGKs are too hot. There's a Goldilocks somewhere between them. (edit: 2nd look, that may be a good cafe creme color...hard to tell. Maybe a little hot)

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

LobsterboyX posted:

but its not big enough to make my other favorite depression era food "egg-in-a-hole"

We called those "cowboys on horseback" when I was a kid.

No, I don't know why they were called that, aside from being in Texas. But I'm suddenly hungry, think I'll fix a couple of them.