Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Goon
Nov 15, 2013

TotalHell posted:

These dudes look rad! Awesome first models, you should definitely be proud of them. Now don’t forget to do something with the base, that’s the final touch to making your angry spacemen really pop.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm planning on doing the bases for the whole squad once I've painted the other 3 Space Marines. It'll probably be some grey drybrush over Astrogranite, it should fit the SM vs Necrons theme of the starter set I got :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Painted some more Malifaux folks this week, this time Mei Fengs Foundry crew.

Consisting of;

Me Feng herself, annoyingly the figure I'm least happy with. Shes a bit better in person than this picture looks though;

The Forgeling. I'm really pleased with how he/his base came out.

Kang

The Rail Workers

Sparks LeBlanc, low key probably my favourite figure of this crew.

The Survivors. These guys (and Sparks) were already built and put onto a railroad track-styled balsa and styrene rod base when I got them, which on the one hand I didnt hate, but on the other there was no way I was going to be able to replicate with the rest of the crew, so instead I just went heavy on the orange to give them some cohesion, and added some ballast on all the bases.

Whole crew including the Mechanized Porkchop I painted months ago:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Texture paints are kinda cool, but is there a "smooth" equivalent? Something thick and gloppy and gap filling but without the grit texture?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Texture paints are kinda cool, but is there a "smooth" equivalent? Something thick and gloppy and gap filling but without the grit texture?

Homemade sprue goo?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Communist Walrus posted:

Homemade sprue goo?

sorry, that's not one of my kinks

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Do you live near an art store? Cause there are a lot of mediums that you can use that fulfill that requirement.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If you're looking to fill gaps, sounds like you want liquid green stuff. I think GW makes their own pre-made version in a pot but I'm sure it's wildly overpriced. Pretty easy to make your own from what I remember.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you're looking to fill gaps, sounds like you want liquid green stuff. I think GW makes their own pre-made version in a pot but I'm sure it's wildly overpriced. Pretty easy to make your own from what I remember.

I know its not liquid green stuff because that stuff is junk and really, really thick and I never got much use out of it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nebalebadingdong posted:

I know its not liquid green stuff because that stuff is junk and really, really thick and I never got much use out of it

How big are your gaps? Thin sprue goo works a lot better than liquid green stuff which is a pain in the rear end to use. For really big stuff I have milliput but luckily haven't had to use it yet.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah last time i was getting to the end of a bottle of plastic cement i threw in some bits of sprue and left it for a few days, shaking it every time i remembered. it's perfect gap-filler

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Nebalebadingdong posted:

You really do want sprue goo, but white plastic putty will also do this thing. It'll just take longer to dry and need some sanding.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Wood glue

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

BaronVanAwesome posted:

You want one of the garbage ones, but at more like $~45.

This is $30.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
so here's the problem I'm trying to solve

here's a printed 10mm mini. looks great.

but here's what drives me bonkers: the printed base sits so high on the the gaming base that you have to build up sand or whatever to meet it, or use really coarse gravel. no matter which you do, it won't match the texture on the printed base. it always looks like poo poo :(

It would be BEST if there was no texture at all and just a flat surface.

ive used green stuff and milliput to solve this problem but it's time consuming and easy to mess up. so i wonder if there's something that could fill in the holes on the printed base while also smoothing the considerable height distance between the printed base and the gaming base

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 18, 2021

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is that piece of wood going to be the gaming base? Or if not do you have another flat circle base you can use?

I'm thinking just cut the textured base off and attach the pole by itself, probably would want to drill a hole to "pin" the pole part into the base.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nebalebadingdong posted:

but here's what drives me bonkers: the printed base sits so high on the the gaming base that you have to build up sand or whatever to meet it, or use really coarse gravel. no matter which you do, it won't match the texture on the printed base. it always looks like poo poo :(

ive used green stuff and milliput to solve this problem but it's time consuming and easy to mess up. so i wonder if there's something that could fill in the holes on the printed base while also smoothing the considerable height distance between the printed base and the gaming base

Have you considered just filing it down? Or, sledgehammer solution; Just snipping the upright flight bit off the base, then gluing that upright directly to the gaming base?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is that piece of wood going to be the gaming base? Or if not do you have another flat circle base you can use?

I'm thinking just cut the textured base off and attach the pole by itself, probably would want to drill a hole to "pin" the pole part into the base.

Yeah that's the game base. Warmaster uses 40x20 bases for everything except characters.

SiKboy posted:

Have you considered just filing it down? Or, sledgehammer solution; Just snipping the upright flight bit off the base, then gluing that upright directly to the gaming base?

You could do that for this flying unit but it would be impossible for infantry strips:

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Nebalebadingdong posted:

You could use something like a lightweight spackle. I've used this to form terrain:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Red-Devil-1qt-Onetime-Lightweight-Spackling-544/100170262

It's easy to shape, cleans up easily with water and dries pretty smoothly. Only downside is that even when it's dry it still has a bit of give to it, like a very stiff foam, so if you press into it you can leave a divot.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
You can also use stuff like Modeling Paste or any kind of hard drying effects medium from art supply companies

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Yeah that's the game base. Warmaster uses 40x20 bases for everything except characters.

You could do that for this flying unit but it would be impossible for infantry strips:

Ah, I see I thought it was the one specific unit you were asking about. iYeah, some kind of modeling paste or spackle/polyfilla/wall filler is probably the way to go. Wall filler of some description will probably be cheaper, I've got a tub of "ready to use all purpose filler" from a local hardware store. 600g and it cost me all of I think £1. Can thin it down with water, its pretty easy to get smooth (or stipple with a brush you dont care about to make it not smooth), takes paint well. When it dries it feels like plaster.

Also came in handy when I had the electrics in the house redone and needed to fill in small holes in the actual wall.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Any recommendations on a spray can gloss varnish (UK)? Bought one the other day and it's yellow. Been fine on most things but looks off over white with very noticeable colouring wherever I've sprayed it on a bit thick and it's pooled.

A few years ago I was using a cheap auto brand and it was perfect, whites still look immaculate. Wish I'd been able to find it before I bought this garbage.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

Any recommendations on a spray can gloss varnish (UK)? Bought one the other day and it's yellow. Been fine on most things but looks off over white with very noticeable colouring wherever I've sprayed it on a bit thick and it's pooled.

A few years ago I was using a cheap auto brand and it was perfect, whites still look immaculate. Wish I'd been able to find it before I bought this garbage.

Halfords own brand Clear Lacquer is what I use.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Avoid Plasti-Kote Clear Sealer "The perfect finish(tm)" lol. £9 for a 400ml can as well. I'm fuming.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

sassassin posted:

Avoid Plasti-Kote Clear Sealer "The perfect finish(tm)" lol. £9 for a 400ml can as well. I'm fuming.

Thats surprising to hear, their Matte is my go-to matt varnish because it is matt as gently caress, compared to most matt spray varnishes I've tried which are in comparison "matt-ish" or at best "slightly satiny". Their spray nozzle "easy spray system" is absolutely terrible though, I thoroughly recommend ripping that off and replacing it with the nozzle from a normal spray can. Still, I've never had any problems with the Halfords stuff, and its cheaper too.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

SiKboy posted:

Thats surprising to hear, their Matte is my go-to matt varnish because it is matt as gently caress, compared to most matt spray varnishes I've tried which are in comparison "matt-ish" or at best "slightly satiny". Their spray nozzle "easy spray system" is absolutely terrible though, I thoroughly recommend ripping that off and replacing it with the nozzle from a normal spray can. Still, I've never had any problems with the Halfords stuff, and its cheaper too.

I had to cut off part of the cap because it wasn't behaving. In fairness to it the finish looks slick over the dark greens, purples and reds I've been doing and it's stood up fine to light handling, so it's still usable. But the colouring caught me off guard and I have a grimy gundam leg and shoulder section to now salvage rather than a sensible one or two test pieces.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I found some time to work on another guy, but I think I need to step away from it for a minute. I think my eyes get used to the light and I lose where the shadows and highlights are supposed to be. I'll come back to it and figure something out for the weapons.

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.
Anyone ever done spot stripping of paint on a miniature? To be specific I’m looking to re do just the helmets of my thousand son rubric marines. I grabbed some of this since, per the spikes bits video on it, it can take the paint off in thirty seconds and since the models are assembled and I only want to strip the head. I figure this is the best bet.

The plan is to apply it with an eye dropper, let it pool and go at it with the tooth brush.

https://www.bluerailhobbies.com/pro...xIaAi1aEALw_wcB

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Lifetime77 posted:

Anyone ever done spot stripping of paint on a miniature? To be specific I’m looking to re do just the helmets of my thousand son rubric marines. I grabbed some of this since, per the spikes bits video on it, it can take the paint off in thirty seconds and since the models are assembled and I only want to strip the head. I figure this is the best bet.

The plan is to apply it with an eye dropper, let it pool and go at it with the tooth brush.

https://www.bluerailhobbies.com/pro...xIaAi1aEALw_wcB

If you super glued (not plastic cemented) the heads in you can put them in the freezer for a bit to weaken the bond and they should snap off cleanly. That should be much easier to work with than trying to spot strip/

Lifetime77
May 20, 2007

Hello Bastards.

Two Headed Calf posted:

If you super glued (not plastic cemented) the heads in you can put them in the freezer for a bit to weaken the bond and they should snap off cleanly. That should be much easier to work with than trying to spot strip/

I want to but I know I got a good amount of glue holding those heads on and am worried I’ll snap the back packs off.

How long do they need to go in the freezer for

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lifetime77 posted:

I want to but I know I got a good amount of glue holding those heads on and am worried I’ll snap the back packs off.

How long do they need to go in the freezer for

Overnight is best. It's the expansion and contraction. If you're really worried hit them with a hair dryer when you pull them out to get that full range of expansion and contraction.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Righto, I have a bunch of RT and 2nd Edition miniatures that are my space marine army from the 90's (with one or two models from the last decade or so).

This is a picture from what must be at least 15 years ago - since then I have lost the vehicles, gained some Space Hulk terminators and a classic RT dreadnought:

Essentially, I want to do a better job with these iconic miniatures and so was thinking of a full strip and repaint into 2nd Edition style particularly as some of the 3rd Ed. plastics have two layers of paint on them. So, how to strip plastic/metal miniatures (in the UK) at the moment?

Secondly what chapter colours should I paint these guys as? I'm not wholly opposed to keeping the current scheme - but I think it would benefit from replacing the shadow grey with something darker or more saturated i.e. deadly nightshade/hawk turqoise?

When I originally made these miniatures I tried a few schemes, initially going with Sons of Medusa. At least 17 years ago, that one! After that, I repainted them in various schemes like so:

I even converted some to pre-heresy Death Guard before 30k was a thing:

They were originally Sons of Medusa (lime, white helmet). I'm definitely going for an early 90's feel for this so bright is most definitely required and I want to avoid any white, black or metallic armour. Thinking back to 2nd Edition, my first love was Blood Angels but I think it's going to end up very monochromatic (even going whole hog with squad/company/unit markings), which was part of the reason why when I painted my marines initially I went with a two-colour scheme - but I think something with contrasting pauldrons would work also.

I wonder if my Craftworld scheme superimposed onto Marines as a kind of Soul Drinkers variant would work i.e. white helmets and aquila? It looks quite dark though:

Any thoughts or suggestions gladly taken for stripping and colour schemes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

For plastic in the UK I believe it's Simple Green that the go to choice. Metal you can usually go for a lot stronger stuff, but I'm not too sure about what since it's not something I've done.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

is what I've always used on metal.

GigaFuzz
Aug 10, 2009

sassassin posted:

is what I've always used on metal.

Biostrip 20 works great on both plastic and metal. it's non toxic and doesn't smell bad.

If you need to go stronger on metal, acetone (e.g. nail varnish remover) is the go-to.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Supposedly this stuff is magic for stripping minis, and is safe to wash down the sink.

https://youtu.be/AZzpL8_uhrk

Be aware that you shouldn't soak resin minis for too long in this stuff.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Then there's also the AK Paint stripper that Duncan showed off in a semi-recent video. But that might a bit pricier to get than Dettol or Simple Green.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Southern Heel posted:

Essentially, I want to do a better job with these iconic miniatures and so was thinking of a full strip and repaint into 2nd Edition style particularly as some of the 3rd Ed. plastics have two layers of paint on them. So, how to strip plastic/metal miniatures (in the UK) at the moment?

Meths. Methylated spirits are a fraction of the price of simple green, work faster and without the lingering odor of Dettol, are safe on plastic or metal, unlike acetone (which is way more effective as a paint stripper but will melt many plastics). Dump them in a jar, fill with meths, wait a bit, pull them out and scrub gently with a toothbrush. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner this will speed the process up immensely, but if you dont its not the end of the world. Do not later use the toothbrush you use on your teeth, its now your meths toothbrush, store it with the meths.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Just like the Toilet toothbrush! Thanks for the tips - I'll try Meths first as I've got loads hanging around, then Dettol next.

Any thoughts on the scheme?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Meth, not only once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

SiKboy posted:

Meths. Methylated spirits are a fraction of the price of simple green, work faster and without the lingering odor of Dettol, are safe on plastic or metal, unlike acetone (which is way more effective as a paint stripper but will melt many plastics). Dump them in a jar, fill with meths, wait a bit, pull them out and scrub gently with a toothbrush. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner this will speed the process up immensely, but if you dont its not the end of the world. Do not later use the toothbrush you use on your teeth, its now your meths toothbrush, store it with the meths.
I’m always a bit nervous of throwing something as flammable as meths or ipa into the ultrasonic. probably completely irrational