Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey so I’m watching Captain America: the First Avenger and Steve says that the doctor explains the serum as “changing his cells on a molecular level so that they’d each have a shield of healing & regeneration” and Peggy explains that his metabolism is 4x that of a normal person. This helped clarify what’s happening with all the super soldiers in the show for me.

I watched First Avenger the other day, and something occurred to me during Steve's transformation. Somebody way back in the thread mentioned they were disappointed that Vita-Rays were no longer required to make super-soldiers. The serum now makes them strong without making them Huge Jacked Mans. Makes sense. But...during his presentation to the generals, Erksine says the Vita-Rays to 'stimulate growth'. Steve goes into the chamber 90lbs and comes out 240 and a foot taller. where did all that mass come from? The super soldier serum allows the human body to convert radiant energy directly into mass and that's kinda hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Marsupial Ape posted:

I watched First Avenger the other day, and something occurred to me during Steve's transformation. Somebody way back in the thread mentioned they were disappointed that Vita-Rays were no longer required to make super-soldiers. The serum now makes them strong without making them Huge Jacked Mans. Makes sense. But...during his presentation to the generals, Erksine says the Vita-Rays to 'stimulate growth'. Steve goes into the chamber 90lbs and comes out 240 and a foot taller. where did all that mass come from? The super soldier serum allows the human body to convert radiant energy directly into mass and that's kinda hosed up.

Banner tried to use gamma rays as a substitute and it worked horrifically well for him.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Babe Magnet posted:

comic Batroc owns, My wish is that they keep throwing him into every MCU show as a minor/background character getting his rear end kicked but still putting in the work.

I started looking more of this guy up after seeing this, and holy poo poo Comic Baltroc is a complete goof but strangely competent: I want more of this style for him in the MCU :allears:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Marsupial Ape posted:

I took the Vita-Ray thing as the OG Serum was going to turn Steve Rogers into Steve McLargehuge but the Vita-Ray accelerated the process, which is why Steve starts yelling in pain as probably his bones and muscles were expanding

SgtSteel91 fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 19, 2021

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

TulliusCicero posted:

I started looking more of this guy up after seeing this, and holy poo poo Comic Baltroc is a complete goof but strangely competent: I want more of this style for him in the MCU :allears:

He's cool yeah. When you're called "the leaper" you gotta lean into the goofiness I guess.

He's in Gwenpool which can be pretty funny if you want more of that side of him.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

He's cool yeah. When you're called "the leaper" you gotta lean into the goofiness I guess.

He's in Gwenpool which can be pretty funny if you want more of that side of him.

I was thinking I want to see him in the outfit he wore in that.

We will probably never get a Gwenpool live action series, but a animated one on the level of the Harley Quinn series would be amazing.

I could see at the end Karli being talked down by Sam, and she surrendering to him, and he then speaks to the Dora Melija and they're all "We'll take her to Wakanda, we need people who want to make the world better, and show her how to use her gifts for that" or some other thing that shows that yes she did bad, but she wasn't wrong.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

live with fruit posted:

That's what I get for not double checking.

Regarding the big cameo, it's funny because they hyped it up as this big actor with numerous awards and all that's true but also people were talking about Meryl Streep so there's probably going to be some mad nerds out there. Not me, though. I loved it.

Again, not paying attn to a SA TV thread pays off. I swear, it ruins some shows for ppl better off just watching it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

twistedmentat posted:

We will probably never get a Gwenpool live action series, but a animated one on the level of the Harley Quinn series would be amazing.

She's apparently really hard to write since to my knowledge everything she's been in since her first series has been garbage, and in my opinion even that started getting not so great towards the end. The first two thirds or so is really good though!

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

SgtSteel91 posted:

I took the Vita-Ray thing as the OG Serum was going to turn Steve Rogers into Steve McLargehuge but the Vita-Ray accelerated the process, which is why Steve starts yelling in pain as probably his bones and muscles were expanding

You’re not wrong, that’s exactly why they used the Vita-Rays...but Steve’s cells were able to convert light directly into mass.

Also, why aren’t there Vita-Ray tanning beds in the MCU? Seems like a no brainer. Stark had the patent.

Marsupial Ape fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 19, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Marsupial Ape posted:

In the comics there are entire pocket dimensions to hold all the extra "physics" that are needed to make things like Hulk and Cyclops work.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

mind the walrus posted:

In the comics there are entire pocket dimensions to hold all the extra "physics" that are needed to make things like Hulk and Cyclops work.

I mean, that’s also true of string theory. :v:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

You’re not wrong, that’s exactly why they used the Vita-Rays...but Steve’s cells were able to convert light directly into mass.

Also, why aren’t there Vita-Ray tanning beds in the MCU? Seems like a no brainer. Stark had the patent.

This is why Steve instantly connects with Groot in Infinity War and reveals he speaks the language just like Thor can.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

She's apparently really hard to write since to my knowledge everything she's been in since her first series has been garbage, and in my opinion even that started getting not so great towards the end. The first two thirds or so is really good though!

West Coast Avengers was pretty great with her having Kate and America to bounce off and Quire to get down with.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

West Coast Avengers was pretty great with her having Kate and America to bounce off and Quire to get down with.
It was solid but was it very adaptable? Gwenpool is one of those character concepts that kind-of proves the 4th wall is a "sometimes" treat.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

twistedmentat posted:

Not a fan, it was too "lol so random" type of humor for me. And Kate is really good too so it should've been much better really.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I'm watching Winter Soldier again and the person who says Fury hired Batroc is Robert Redford when he's trying to convince Steve that Fury was a traitor.

edit: Oh nevermind Natasha confirms it later.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 19, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

PlushCow posted:

I wonder how much from the marvel TV shows will make it to the movies, if anything at all. I don't expect Walker to be mentioned at all or anything beyond a cursory mention about Sam's struggle with taking up the Captain America mantle in a future Captain America movie, it's easy to go from Endgame to New Cap. Next Dr Strange movie should let us know how much of the TV show stuff will transfer to the cinematic universe, I wouldn't be surprised if Agatha isn't mentioned.

Things are considerably different now than they were when Agents of Shield/Agent Carter/The Marvel Netflix shows were airing. The people who star in the big Marvel films are in these TV shows as stars, not as vaguely mentioned cameos. Disney is running this very much with the Pokemon-style "gotta watch 'em all." Which means subscribing to Disney+. I have no problem believing that Wyatt Russell and Kathryn Hahn will be showing up in Marvel movies. There is no Movie/TV division now. It's all one empire under Walt.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I'm watching Winter Soldier again and the person who says Fury hired Batroc is Robert Redford when he's trying to convince Steve that Fury was a traitor.

edit: Oh nevermind Natasha confirms it later.

Yeah, Batroc was hired by Fury as an excuse to send Steve and Natasha in, and more specifically, allow Natasha to break into the computer and download files to find out what was hidden in them. Only Fury and Natasha were aware of this plan.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Everyone posted:

It's all one empire under Walt.

There is no God but Walt and Kevin is his prophet.

mind the walrus posted:

It was solid but was it very adaptable? Gwenpool is one of those character concepts that kind-of proves the 4th wall is a "sometimes" treat.

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Not a fan, it was too "lol so random" type of humor for me. And Kate is really good too so it should've been much better really.

This is why I suggest an animated series that lets Gwen be as crazy and meta as they want. It doesn't have to be straight up adaption of her comic.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

I felt the same. Like it was trying too hard to be like Waypool.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Karli gonna get talked down by Cap Sam after Walker is neutralized only to get shot in the head by Batroc who says “Ze Power Broker sends their regards” and then spin jumps off into the sunset

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Apr 19, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Its Rinaldo posted:

Karli gonna get talked down by Cap Sam after Walker is neutralized only to get shot in the head by Batroc who says “Ze Power Broker sends their regards” and then spin jumps off into the sunset

Aha, I knew the Power Breaker was really Tony Lazuto!

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Now I felt like re-watching Winter Soldier and Civil War and I had to. Thanks goons! btw...is Bucky supposed to be way faster/have more stamina than Steve? I'm pausing the movie for the moment (too late, sleepy), but it seems he is. I mean during the chase Cap had to steal a car, and Black Panther had to cruise on top of one to be able to catch him.

And this is just late night rambles, so lol.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We really don’t have any idea what the disparity is in serums, but Bucky was working the entire time Cap was asleep. Even if both of them have have the exact same physiological boost, or even if Steve’s is just better, Bucky has 70 years of assassination muscle memory and live-combat knocking around in his noodle. Like... even if they only used him once a year, that’s more action than most would see in a dozen lifetimes. Bucky beats Steve pretty soundly at the end of TWS, I honestly pick Final Form Winter Soldier Bucky in a 1v1 vs anyone except for Strange, Banner, or Peter (or any of the first 15-20 Iron Mans)

Edit: Ok I just watched Captain Marvel and I guess she and post-Rag Thor would probably just blow Bucky up also lol

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 19, 2021

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Winter Soldier is pretty much just a Terminator.

Bucky now is still probably one of the best fighters in the world, but doesn't want to kill now, so he's not as scary.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

We really don’t have any idea what the disparity is in serums, but Bucky was working the entire time Cap was asleep. Even if both of them have have the exact same physiological boost, or even if Steve’s is just better, Bucky has 70 years of assassination muscle memory and live-combat knocking around in his noodle. Like... even if they only used him once a year, that’s more action than most would see in a dozen lifetimes. Bucky beats Steve pretty soundly at the end of TWS, I honestly pick Final Form Winter Soldier Bucky in a 1v1 vs anyone except for Strange, Banner, or Peter (or any of the first 15-20 Iron Mans)

Steve was winning and even choked Bucky out before he decided he wasn't going to fight him anymore.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Steve was winning and even choked Bucky out before he decided he wasn't going to fight him anymore.

Yeah but then Bucky shoots him, which is how I feel like a lot of these fights would end

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Because Steve decided to ignore him. He could've caved his skull in with the shield like Walker if he wanted to.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking I want to see him in the outfit he wore in that.

I love Gwenpool but I can't imagine how it would work in live-action. Prior to getting her powers, her "power" was knowledge of all the secrets and extensive continuity of Marvel, but in the MCU nobody has a secret identity and there aren't any huge secrets the audience is privy to that the Avengers don't already know. And if she were to get powers, I assume she'd be playing with film rather than comic book panels? I guess it would be neat if she could like, obtain the Infinity Gauntlet by visiting the props room in the studio or something.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Codependent Poster posted:

Winter Soldier is pretty much just a Terminator.

Bucky now is still probably one of the best fighters in the world, but doesn't want to kill now, so he's not as scary.
yeah the fight in the most recent episode would have been really short, since Bucky managed to get Walker's side arm away from him and then just ignored it instead of shooting Walker in the head.

I'm pretty sure Bucky has gone into every fight in this series unarmed (you know what I mean) except in Madripoor. Which was a baffling choice thematically considering literally everything else in the show but that whole episode was weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Argue posted:

I love Gwenpool but I can't imagine how it would work in live-action. Prior to getting her powers, her "power" was knowledge of all the secrets and extensive continuity of Marvel, but in the MCU nobody has a secret identity and there aren't any huge secrets the audience is privy to that the Avengers don't already know. And if she were to get powers, I assume she'd be playing with film rather than comic book panels? I guess it would be neat if she could like, obtain the Infinity Gauntlet by visiting the props room in the studio or something.

Which is why i suggested making it an animated series. I envision Gwen narrating it and the running joke is whomever she's dealing with in that episode is all "uh why are you talking to yourself like that". That would be a running joke before everyone is sick of it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

twistedmentat posted:

I could see at the end Karli being talked down by Sam, and she surrendering to him, and he then speaks to the Dora Melija and they're all "We'll take her to Wakanda, we need people who want to make the world better, and show her how to use her gifts for that" or some other thing that shows that yes she did bad, but she wasn't wrong.

There is an alternate universe female Bucky named Rebecca "Rikki," Barnes who was created as a result of he fallout with Onslaught back in the 90s. She served as the sidekick to several Captain Americas including a Peggy Carter Captain Brittain version until she later adopted the super-identity of NOMAD, THE GIRL WITHOUT A WORLD.

Apparently a lot of people online are hoping this mantle will be Karli's ultimate fate after being de-escalated from terrorism and returning to her Robin Hood Revolutionary ways. Which I think is a great idea. It pays off the talk about how SHE should be Captain America but maintains her dismissal of the Shield and its symbolism, it lets her be reborn and leave behind the identity of Flag Smasher which she's tainted by her actions without giving up her ideals, it gives her a platform to work toward atoning for her misdeeds, and the whole GIRL WITHOUT A WORLD thing fits perfectly with her status as a stateless borderless outsider to all nations and their power structures.

She was also Valkyrie's girlfriend for a while, so that's nice. :)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Because Steve decided to ignore him. He could've caved his skull in with the shield like Walker if he wanted to.

Also worth a reminder that Winter Soldier Bucky was defeated by Isaiah.

Winter Soldier Bucky is still comically dangerous but he has been soundly defeated by a Captain America at least twice.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Sanguinia posted:

There is an alternate universe female Bucky named Rebecca "Rikki," Barnes who was created as a result of he fallout with Onslaught back in the 90s. She served as the sidekick to several Captain Americas including a Peggy Carter Captain Brittain version until she later adopted the super-identity of NOMAD, THE GIRL WITHOUT A WORLD.

Apparently a lot of people online are hoping this mantle will be Karli's ultimate fate after being de-escalated from terrorism and returning to her Robin Hood Revolutionary ways. Which I think is a great idea. It pays off the talk about how SHE should be Captain America but maintains her dismissal of the Shield and its symbolism, it lets her be reborn and leave behind the identity of Flag Smasher which she's tainted by her actions without giving up her ideals, it gives her a platform to work toward atoning for her misdeeds, and the whole GIRL WITHOUT A WORLD thing fits perfectly with her status as a stateless borderless outsider to all nations and their power structures.

She was also Valkyrie's girlfriend for a while, so that's nice. :)

Nomad was also first an identity Steve came up with in the 616 in one of the many times he gave up the shield, so there’s also that angle of her as a successor to him of sorts in a meta sense.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Its Rinaldo posted:

I'm gonna bet the whole thing will be a bit of a scramble with interconnecting fights, or at least, fights in the same general area but given that the likely antagonists to face are USAgent, Karli and the 4 remaining (nameless?) super soldiers and Batroc, then I'm gonna guess that Sam will face off with USAgent (i.e. who is the true face of America and it's ideals), Bucky with Karli and the super soldiers (i.e. super soldier fight) and that Torres will come in at the last second when Batroc is jonesing for a rematch with the Falcon. Sam struggled to beat Walker last episode with Bucky's help, so it doesn't feel like it'd be retreading old ground to have Sam take him on alone in my opinion, to prove he's the more worthy candidate as Cap. Plus, he might even be able to talk Walker down instead of (or alongside) beating him up. Bucky can also possibly talk to Karli and point out how awful the path she's starting down is, given that while he's not on the same exact path or anything, he's certainly been in similar situations. Plus, one super soldier against five. Which should be good.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
From what we know, the Flag Smashers will be there to go after the GRC, Walker will be there to go after Karli and Batroc will be there to go after Sam. Plus, Sam's talk with Bucky was about how he's trying to make things better but he hasn't been helping anyone but himself so he could work on stopping the Flag Smashers from doing whatever it is they want to do to the GRC while the other twosomes face off.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Apr 19, 2021

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

PlushCow posted:

I wonder how much from the marvel TV shows will make it to the movies, if anything at all. I don't expect Walker to be mentioned at all or anything beyond a cursory mention about Sam's struggle with taking up the Captain America mantle in a future Captain America movie, it's easy to go from Endgame to New Cap. Next Dr Strange movie should let us know how much of the TV show stuff will transfer to the cinematic universe, I wouldn't be surprised if Agatha isn't mentioned.

It's pretty obvious that FATWS was written to potentially be a bottle series that didn't actually effect anything around it, and therefore you could easily get away with not seeing. From the end of Endgame, one would just assume that Sam is the new Cap America now - the entire FATWS series represents a wobble of Sam deciding that maybe he won't be Cap and then deciding that actually he will. It likely ends with almost the entire status quo that we just assumed was in place at the end of the last Avengers movie.

This is probably because Disney+ was an unknown quantity while this show was being developed. It could have been a colossal failure. FATWS could have been remembered as that weird experiment on that streaming service no one watched. Of course, this hasn't happened and the service has been a huge success, partly due to the unexpected boon of covid. So it's more likely we'll see FATWS getting referenced in movies, and that future shows will be more consequential for the MCU.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's pretty obvious that FATWS was written to potentially be a bottle series that didn't actually effect anything around it, and therefore you could easily get away with not seeing. From the end of Endgame, one would just assume that Sam is the new Cap America now - the entire FATWS series represents a wobble of Sam deciding that maybe he won't be Cap and then deciding that actually he will. It likely ends with almost the entire status quo that we just assumed was in place at the end of the last Avengers movie.

This is probably because Disney+ was an unknown quantity while this show was being developed. It could have been a colossal failure. FATWS could have been remembered as that weird experiment on that streaming service no one watched. Of course, this hasn't happened and the service has been a huge success, partly due to the unexpected boon of covid. So it's more likely we'll see FATWS getting referenced in movies, and that future shows will be more consequential for the MCU.

I guess this makes sense in that FATWS was originally planned to launch well before Wandavision - which very clearly will have important links to the movies and will probably be required viewing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

stev posted:

I guess this makes sense in that FATWS was originally planned to launch well before Wandavision - which very clearly will have important links to the movies and will probably be required viewing.

I think "well before" is overstating it a little, since as far as I know the original plan was to release Falcon & the Winter Soldier in August 2020, and WandaVision two to three months later in November 2020. WandaVision would have gone through all of it's filming and most of it's post production by that time, and be fairly well locked in as a title. It'd be possible to make some changes to it, but nothing substantial without pushing back it's release date and doing some more production work in the interim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

The character from FAWS that's probably going to have the biggest influence is Val and she was supposed to be introduced in Black Widow so this could make sense. And makes me wonder if the "Keep 'em" line was a reshoot.