Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Raldikuk posted:

Most people in rural areas especially red states in general aren't farmers and don't see any benefit from the farm bill. The farm bill is supported by the gop for the same reason they support most things, it helps big corps. Of course that's all the dems care about too they just put up some window dressing as a distraction.
We all agree that the reasons GOP politicians support things are insincere and generally not the reason their constituents do but I'd love to see a poll of the average citizen of any red state of your choice other than maybe Florida or Alaska saying they don't give a poo poo about "supporting farmers"

Rurality is a point of pride. Most of them aren't hunters either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

iowa, by area, is 92% farmland. only 2% of the population earns a majority of their income through farming. that stat blew my mind (and I've lived there for half my life).

the majority of the farm bill goes towards nutrition programs, but there are billions set aside for a tiny minority of people who grow feed corn and soybeans (for feed). so if iowa has just 2% of its population making money directly by farming, ill take the leap despite not having looked it up that the nationwide percentage is lower. In iowa, one in five people is food insecure, and children make up a full third of that figure, even after government assistance. Ten times as many people in iowa don't know where their next meal is going to come from compared to the number of farmers in the state.

The GOP gets the money hydrant for their farmer friends while anybody who gives a poo poo about hungry people gets to see a nation that thinks one in five people going hungry is the best bargain they can strike lol. this country sucks rear end

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Eat This Glob posted:

iowa, by area, is 92% farmland. only 2% of the population earns a majority of their income through farming. that stat blew my mind (and I've lived there for half my life).

Taking a window seat flight from the East to west coast is just 4 hours of staring at farmland.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Is Joe Biden in charge of FedEx too???

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my dad works for Lockheed Martin and they had a "no phones" policy when camera phones starting becoming commonplace, and even they abandoned it many years ago

FedEx has no excuse other then "the cruelty is the point"

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

they ran the numbers and the lost productivity from people playing on their phones costs more than the loss from occasional mass shootings.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

the post office has that policy but literally every single person has their phone and is on it as much as possible

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

my dad works for Lockheed Martin and they had a "no phones" policy when camera phones starting becoming commonplace, and even they abandoned it many years ago

FedEx has no excuse other then "the cruelty is the point"

Yeah out at nasa any place where having a phone actually compromises security or safety will confiscate them at the door and give them back when you leave but other than that whatever. Like you don't want people using their phone (or any other kind of unsafe electronics) when you're loading rocket fuel but when you're just at your desk who cares.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Eat This Glob posted:

as an aside, does the USDA still hand out white label foodstuffs like fruit cocktail and government cheese? i havent seen that since the late 80s when I was a kid. powdered milk, sickly sweet canned fruit, and concord grape jelly/grape juice still haunt me in my 30s. peanut butter is still my jam though

No. George W. Bush ended the strategic food stockpile. If there is ever a global food shortage, the plan is for Americans to receive cash from the government to buy food on the free market.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Chamale posted:

No. George W. Bush ended the strategic food stockpile. If there is ever a global food shortage, the plan is for Americans to receive cash from the government to buy food on the free market.

Well I can't possibly think of a reason that won't work, thank god we're covered for the inevitable climate change food shortages.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shame Boy posted:

Well I can't possibly think of a reason that won't work, thank god we're covered for the inevitable climate change food shortages.

Would it really make a difference either way? I don't know anything about the program, but surely the strategic reserve wasn't more than 1 year's worth of food, right? Probably much less. Designed for a blip like a crazy huge weather anomaly or corn blight or something seriously disrupting food production in a few states for a year or two, not a gradual but relentless ongoing global climate catastrophe that will render vast swaths of farmland permanently barren.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the usa has 47.1 billion barrels of oil reserved so that's like 7 or 8 years at current consumption if the tap was turned fully off.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Would it really make a difference either way? I don't know anything about the program, but surely the strategic reserve wasn't more than 1 year's worth of food, right? Probably much less. Designed for a blip like a crazy huge weather anomaly or corn blight or something seriously disrupting food production in a few states for a year or two, not a gradual but relentless ongoing global climate catastrophe that will render vast swaths of farmland permanently barren.

I mean presumably at least for the first few decades it's not going to be "no food at all all the time" it's going to be "increasingly severe periods of under-production", which you could balance by filling the strategic reserve during otherwise normal periods. As opposed to the free market approach of "well maybe someone will think to do that eventually if the price goes high enough, I don't know, not my problem"

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Antonymous posted:

the usa has 47.1 billion barrels of oil reserved so that's like 7 or 8 years at current consumption if the tap was turned fully off.

You're saying that like the government wouldn't find a way to sell it off on the open market for unbelievably colossal private profits in that event tho

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

India had those massive protests caused by the government's attempt to shut down the famine prevention program (among other things). The protests are slowing down because covid is killing 10,000 people a day. The government is dealing with it, though, they have outlawed private covid testing.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

The Oldest Man posted:

You're saying that like the government wouldn't find a way to sell it off on the open market for unbelievably colossal private profits in that event tho

it would responsibly sell them at a loss to a private company to subsequently keep those profits

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Absolutely lmao'ing at the fact Gates et al are making sure supplies are restricted so they can make bank. For someone who wanted to give away all his money helping people he's not doing a very good job of it.

The world should be vaccinated not the bullshit that is happening instead.

Hindustan Times posted:

Hospitals run out of oxygen supply in Pakistan's Lahore amid rising Covid cases

Amid a rise in the number of coronavirus cases in the city, several Lahore hospitals have run out of oxygen supply on Monday.

About 1,100 coronavirus patients in government hospitals need oxygen, while almost 250 patients are on a ventilator, reported Geo News.

Mayo Hospitals's chief executive said that the situation will take a turn for the worst if oxygen cylinders are not supplied within the next three to four hours.

"The situation is bad and hospitals are utilising the available oxygen but if cylinders are not supplied to the hospitals within the next two or three hours, the situation will take a turn for the worse," said Mayo Hospital's Chief Executive in charge of coronavirus wards, Dr Asad Aslam.

Moreover, Government hospitals in Lahore is almost out of oxygen supply as protesters blocked roads due to religious party protest across Pakistan, reported Geo News.

Residents of various cities across were stuck in traffic jams today as a religious party held its protest in Karachi, Lahore, Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Multan, and other cities.

Meanwhile, Punjab Health Minister Dr Yasmin Rashid and Secretary Health Punjab Nabeel Awan appealed to protesters of a religious party, who have blocked the roads, to cooperate with the authorities so that oxygen cylinders could be delivered to government hospitals in a timely fashion.

Earlier on Sunday, Pakistan had recorded the highest number of Covid-19 deaths in a single day in the current year.

According to Pakistan's National Command and Operation Centre (NCOC), a total of 114 people died from Covid-19 on Saturday. This was the sixth time in a row that the coronavirus induced deaths crossed the 100 mark in a single day.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Antonymous posted:

We could drop oil use down to a fraction of what we currently use if we wanted to like we did during Covid

Not really an option for food
(Well it is we just admit that a bunch of poor people can die and we dgaf)

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Inceltown posted:

Absolutely lmao'ing at the fact Gates et al are making sure supplies are restricted so they can make bank. For someone who wanted to give away all his money helping people he's not doing a very good job of it.

The world should be vaccinated not the bullshit that is happening instead.

Well, you gotta keep some* people in need of help, otherwise you just lost your main pr.

*Like, the more the better so it seems like you're combatting a serious problem.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/18/22390612/two-people-killed-fiery-tesla-crash-no-driver

In the past, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has rejected calls from Tesla engineers to add better safety monitoring when a vehicle is in Autopilot, such as eye-tracking cameras or additional sensors on the steering wheel, saying the tech is “ineffective.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/18/22390612/two-people-killed-fiery-tesla-crash-no-driver

In the past, Tesla CEO Elon Musk has rejected calls from Tesla engineers to add better safety monitoring when a vehicle is in Autopilot, such as eye-tracking cameras or additional sensors on the steering wheel, saying the tech is “ineffective.”

Hey you know what other tech is ineffective

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

One-man rescue submarines?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Failed Imagineer posted:

One-man rescue submarines?

Single lane tunnels?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Shame Boy posted:

crypto currency?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Self driving cars?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Len posted:

I think my favorite thing about articles about Tesla autopilot crashes is that the photos are of something barely recognizable as a car. Just completely charred to the ground, frame and all.

Shame Boy posted:

M... My mom?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

SpacePig posted:

M... My mom?

This tech is reportedly extremely effective at certain tasks

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Goldman Sachs is worried that curing people isn't good for long-term revenue streams from chronic illnesses.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

How many of our failure politicians are backed by Goldman again

Letting genocide happen to protect your future patronage job

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
this is just masks off ghoulish poo poo

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for the annual covid boosters to run at $500 a pop

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
What if loot crates but for healthcare

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Laterite posted:

Can't wait for the annual covid boosters to run at $500 a pop

i'm just gonna torrent the dlc

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Len posted:

Given the details of the latest fatal Tesla crash where no one was even behind the wheel, it seems they don't even have anything to determine if someone is sitting in the driver's seat.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Chamale posted:

So, $2000 for 10 months? :allears:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Len posted:

It is such a bad idea to give the public this crap unless it's basically perfect. Drivers will think autopilot will mean they no longer need to give a poo poo, when they already barely give a poo poo as it is. People will not be paying enough attention to take over from the autopilot, or not be able to react fast enough even if they are, or won't know where the autopilot stops and they're supposed to begin. Even with aircraft, everyone is trained, ATC controls traffic, and there's hardly to hit up there at cruise.

And people will inevitably defeat whatever device you put there to make sure they can control the car, leading to:

SpacePig posted:

I think my favorite thing about articles about Tesla autopilot crashes is that the photos are of something barely recognizable as a car. Just completely charred to the ground, frame and all.

gently caress around with these things, and they're gonna bury some bricks in your honor. Took hours for the fire to finish. They bought their own personal crematorium.

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 06:52 on Apr 19, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Conspiracy realities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Given the details of the latest fatal Tesla crash where no one was even behind the wheel, it seems they don't even have anything to determine if someone is sitting in the driver's seat.

From what I understand the only method it uses is that it detects if your hand is on the steering wheel, and if its off for more than a few seconds it beeps annoyingly at you. People have figured out a lot of trivial ways to circumvent this, like apparently you can just wedge an orange in the steering wheel and it's perfectly happy.