Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Metropolis posted:

But, in order to do these, we'd need to know what Viltrumites actually DO with a planet they control. Sure there's lots of stuff but it seems like they would need an enemy to be battling if they need more resources etc. that bad. I think we'll get something more than just "we conquer planets with our superpowers in a weird way to acquire generic resources." Something like, acquiring magic or other weird stuff Viltrum doesn't have, would be cool, but I feel like if that were happening, Nolan would show more interest in Damien Darkblood. I'm sure like at least 50% of what Nolan has told Mark about Viltrum and their society is just propaganda that he knows is fake.

Going to focus in on this bit because its something I hope maybe this will explore or maybe some other story someday: People don't really need a reason to conquer things. Yeah sometimes its about resources like food or water or cheep labor, but sometimes its because that sheep herder over there doesn't have anything protecting him so why not make him your feudal subject? Who cares if you don't need sheep. Power for powers sake because that's all you know is a very human motivation and sometimes that's all you need in your story. No "here to harvest our water/organs/magic/children/souls/minerals" needed when it would just feel like excessive baggage to the story. Let the audience fill in their imaginations what the imperialists want, any given answer has the chance of being more disappointing than their assumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has it been shown if Cecil's teleportation is a superpower or if its just a tech thing?

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Has it been shown if Cecil's teleportation is a superpower or if its just a tech thing?

I think he explicitly said that they just got it and that it costs the taxpayer millions each time they use it, so tech

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm a pretty big fan of the original series, but this adaption just isn't clicking for me. I think the 40 minute episodes was a bad decision; the pacing feels all over the place.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Good Citizen posted:

I think he explicitly said that they just got it and that it costs the taxpayer millions each time they use it, so tech

In the comic he gleefully admits it costs five million bucks every time he uses it but he just can't stop, haha.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Narcissus1916 posted:

I'm a pretty big fan of the original series, but this adaption just isn't clicking for me. I think the 40 minute episodes was a bad decision; the pacing feels all over the place.

Pacing is off, yeah. Some episodes feel stretched while others feel crammed together. I also more than half suspect this series was put together in a bit of a rush to cover the gap left by The Boys COVID production delays. The animation is almost but not quite on par with that of X-Men: Evolution (2000).

That being said, I am enjoying it so far. Hopefully it takes off and they get a bigger budget next season.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DrManiac posted:

I always have this same thought ever episode. Omni-man is capable of way more destruction but he’s pretty stable and capable of acting in a way that won’t hurt him in the long term. Homelander is mentally hosed up in every way and you never know when he’ll lash out.

You know I always assumed Homelander was more powerful than Omni Man but now that I replay their various feats of strength in my head I'm not so sure. Omni Man's definitely taken more licks, but it's exclusively from extremely powerful beings. Homelander has no peers in the show so we never see him injured, but we also never see him lift an entire mountain or fly faster than light.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Applewhite posted:

Pacing is off, yeah. Some episodes feel stretched while others feel crammed together. I also more than half suspect this series was put together in a bit of a rush to cover the gap left by The Boys COVID production delays. The animation is almost but not quite on par with that of X-Men: Evolution (2000).

That being said, I am enjoying it so far. Hopefully it takes off and they get a bigger budget next season.

Pretty sure it was announced before The Boys, before TWD turned into a zombie franchise and Kirkman was still the hot thing.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gaz-L posted:

Pretty sure it was announced before The Boys, before TWD turned into a zombie franchise and Kirkman was still the hot thing.

I see what you did there lol.

If it was announced before The Boys then it's been in development for like three years at least. Maybe the COVID crisis was the boost it needed to finally get prioritized?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Applewhite posted:

You know I always assumed Homelander was more powerful than Omni Man but now that I replay their various feats of strength in my head I'm not so sure. Omni Man's definitely taken more licks, but it's exclusively from extremely powerful beings. Homelander has no peers in the show so we never see him injured, but we also never see him lift an entire mountain or fly faster than light.

questions of 'who is more powerful' are answered by the needs of the narrative

homelander and omni man and superman are the apex powers of their respective fictional worlds, questions of precisely how much they can lift or how fast they can fly are pointless. in the first couple episodes of invincible we see omni man get beat up and injured by some scrub justice league knockoffs in the process of killing them and also genocide an entire technologically advanced planet almost instantly, there's an incongruence there but the details don't matter because either way he still fills the role of most powerful dude

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Applewhite posted:

I see what you did there lol.

If it was announced before The Boys then it's been in development for like three years at least. Maybe the COVID crisis was the boost it needed to finally get prioritized?

It's been in development since 2016. Steven Yeun was given the job just as he was killed off on TWD.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
It was interesting seeing Invincible get bodied by the cyborgs, I thought it was probably just poor writing until Cecil mentions at the end that it was amazing they were able to give him a hard time. I'm guessing they're going into the government's arsenal and will make a reappearance in the show.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

i hope jeffrey dean morgan gets a recurring villain role that regularly beats the poo poo out of invincible

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Wheeee posted:

questions of 'who is more powerful' are answered by the needs of the narrative

homelander and omni man and superman are the apex powers of their respective fictional worlds, questions of precisely how much they can lift or how fast they can fly are pointless. in the first couple episodes of invincible we see omni man get beat up and injured by some scrub justice league knockoffs in the process of killing them and also genocide an entire technologically advanced planet almost instantly, there's an incongruence there but the details don't matter because either way he still fills the role of most powerful dude

It's definitely not "almost instantly", because Omni-man is clean shaven when he enters the portal as well as when he comes out the other side, but when he finishes he's got a week or more of facial hair going. Which is being generous with the speed his facial hair grows, and could be several weeks. His 'tache is still perfect though. Regardless, he did wipe out the bigger cities really fast, but finishing the job obviously took time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Casnorf posted:

In the comic he gleefully admits it costs five million bucks every time he uses it but he just can't stop, haha.

Not sure if that came before or after a thing they did in Ultimates where they first introduce Nick Fury infiltrating a base and telling his support crew to activate his invisibility field, and they're all,"Jesus Christ that thing costs a fortune you can be invisible for like 18 seconds but then the budget is done for the year :mad:" :allears:

Just uhh.... just don't read any more of the Ultimates than that.... :sigh:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Jerusalem posted:

This is very good advice.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

tsob posted:

It's definitely not "almost instantly", because Omni-man is clean shaven when he enters the portal as well as when he comes out the other side, but when he finishes he's got a week or more of facial hair going. Which is being generous with the speed his facial hair grows, and could be several weeks. His 'tache is still perfect though. Regardless, he did wipe out the bigger cities really fast, but finishing the job obviously took time.

he was also able to just accelerate to really high speeds something he couldn't do when fighting the league

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Not sure if that came before or after a thing they did in Ultimates where they first introduce Nick Fury infiltrating a base and telling his support crew to activate his invisibility field, and they're all,"Jesus Christ that thing costs a fortune you can be invisible for like 18 seconds but then the budget is done for the year :mad:" :allears:

Al Ewing's Ultimates is very good tho! :v:

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

The very last shot in Ep6 has a batsymbol shaped hole in the wall.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
The romance stuff between Mark and Amber is really dragging now. It's one of those things that simply telling her would fix everything.

Also Omni-Man trying to figure out how to kill his wife

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

twistedmentat posted:

The romance stuff between Mark and Amber is really dragging now. It's one of those things that simply telling her would fix everything.

Also Omni-Man trying to figure out how to kill his wife

I get what you mean, but at the same time that's a huge secret to reveal to a high school girlfriend so I get why he hasn't.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JT Smiley posted:

I get what you mean, but at the same time that's a huge secret to reveal to a high school girlfriend so I get why he hasn't.

Oh yea, it is logical, but at the same time he's literally debating on letting people die to peruse Amber.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

This episode is really bugging me. It was fine on its own, but the focus of the show being on "I must keep this secret AT ALL PERSONAL COSTS" while tons of plot threads are dangled and not yet followed up on (Mars, Titan, uh, the main show thread getting a token scene or two) is just.. why? If this is more of a "monster-of-the-week" show, as it definitely feels, I'd just write it off and shrug, it is what it is. But the tone of the show is trying to tell me it's more. I dunno.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

M_Gargantua posted:

Going to focus in on this bit because its something I hope maybe this will explore or maybe some other story someday: People don't really need a reason to conquer things. Yeah sometimes its about resources like food or water or cheep labor, but sometimes its because that sheep herder over there doesn't have anything protecting him so why not make him your feudal subject? Who cares if you don't need sheep. Power for powers sake because that's all you know is a very human motivation and sometimes that's all you need in your story. No "here to harvest our water/organs/magic/children/souls/minerals" needed when it would just feel like excessive baggage to the story. Let the audience fill in their imaginations what the imperialists want, any given answer has the chance of being more disappointing than their assumption.

What, historically imperial powers have very clear motivations as to why they conquer. Whether it'd be resources, controlling trade, resolving internal instabilities or creating buffer territories to perceived threats it's rarely ever 'uh we could'. No matter the excuse, imperialistic powers always perceive themselves as just in their barbaric actions.

I think it's always a writer cop-out to have motivations be just-because. It's good for villainous or anti-hero characters to have reasons they are doing things, otherwise they're just edgy set-dressing and not real characters.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

MiddleOne posted:

What, historically imperial powers have very clear motivations as to why they conquer. Whether it'd be resources, controlling trade, resolving internal instabilities or creating buffer territories to perceived threats it's rarely ever 'uh we could'. No matter the excuse, imperialistic powers always perceive themselves as just in their barbaric actions.

I think it's always a writer cop-out to have motivations be just-because. It's good for villainous or anti-hero characters to have reasons they are doing things, otherwise they're just edgy set-dressing and not real characters.

I think what they meant was that maybe the precise sociopolitical motivations of the empire aren’t necessary for the story. We know that in real life there were complex social and economic factors that drove the British Empire to conquer, but we don’t need them to be explicitly stated in every film featuring the British Empire as antagonists in order for the narrative to work. The Viltrumites presumably get something worthwhile out of their empire, but we don’t need to know for them to work as compelling villains.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Agreed, but I don't think the same holds for Omni-Man (whose motivations are still as opaque as they were in the first episode).

To contrast, I have no problem with the alien empire having no stated motivation because they were just a reason for that episodes story to happen.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Omni Man has motivations that are as-yet unrevealed.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did I state otherwise? Season isn't over yet. :raise:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Beamed posted:

This episode is really bugging me. It was fine on its own, but the focus of the show being on "I must keep this secret AT ALL PERSONAL COSTS" while tons of plot threads are dangled and not yet followed up on (Mars, Titan, uh, the main show thread getting a token scene or two) is just.. why? If this is more of a "monster-of-the-week" show, as it definitely feels, I'd just write it off and shrug, it is what it is. But the tone of the show is trying to tell me it's more. I dunno.

This episode advanced the arcs of maybe 6 or 7 of the minor characters. The comics had a lot more breathing room to pepper those moments here and there while focusing mostly on the main story involving Mark and his dad but I guess they had trouble fitting them into the show so they just crammed a bunch of them into this episode while Mark had a minor side adventure.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
Re: Omniman's motivations, I'd say learning why he merced the Guardians is probably the number one most pressing mystery to be resolved, at least to me. That being said, if the answer turns out being that conquest and subjugation of other planets is just what Viltrumites do, I don't think I'm really going to care about the "why" involved in that question. We thought they were protectors but they're actually conquerors, nuff said.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Beamed posted:

Invincible is basically trying to do its own take on every single superhero storyline ever. Sometimes they converge, and a few take precedence as the main arc of the entire series, but it's also sort of Kirkman getting the chance to show how he would write basically every situation we've seen in comics before with his characters.

This kind of "im going to give you the definitive take on every aspect of superheros" is embedded in the comic's braggadocious tagline "The Best Superhero Comic in the Universe."

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Ccs posted:

Invincible is basically trying to do its own take on every single superhero storyline ever. Sometimes they converge, and a few take precedence as the main arc of the entire series, but it's also sort of Kirkman getting the chance to show how he would write basically every situation we've seen in comics before with his characters.

This kind of "im going to give you the definitive take on every aspect of superheros" is embedded in the comic's braggadocious tagline "The Best Superhero Comic in the Universe."

As someone who got started with the show and has now read the comics, I agree with this synopsis. I initially thought this was some modern satire or something but it's not, not really.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I just started the comic and...does the artist ever figure out how to draw noses?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Collateral posted:

I just started the comic and...does the artist ever figure out how to draw noses?

Which artist? Cory Walker leaves the book after the first story arc, and Ryan Ottley’s art jumps leaps and bounds from his early issues. Walker eventually comes back for some fill-in issues with an even more aggressive style which I loved (he also worked on Destroyer with Kirkman over at Marvel).

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ccs posted:

Which is why a lot of people took issue with the gore in the comic, because 'y'know what the Galactus Saga needed? Showers of guts!' is not something anyone who reads superhero comics has ever said, and in fact was a major criticism of DC and Marvel at the time Kirkman started Invincible.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Collateral posted:

Once Walker leaves (around issue 7 I think), the series improves a lot, though it takes Ottley a while to actually find his groove.

The series is fine and I'm enjoying the whole thing about Omniman trying to keep his secret and his wife's own investigation into it. However, the animation can be very poor and some of the plots are dragging, just like in the comics. Amber for example; she is a better character than the comics version but she is clearly a temporary love interest; Mark is gonna end up with Eve so adding drama in his relationship with Amber feels like filler

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
It may be a bit childish but I enjoyed the gore in this silly cartoon. Does it keep the ultraviolence going forward? That's basically what I find novel about this otherwise unremarkable animation

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Collapsing Farts posted:

It may be a bit childish but I enjoyed the gore in this silly cartoon. Does it keep the ultraviolence going forward? That's basically what I find novel about this otherwise unremarkable animation

I don't think it's giving much away to say that the effects superhuman abilities would actually have on the people getting hit by them is a consistent theme in Invincible

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Collapsing Farts posted:

Think Story of Ricky and add spandex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm always amused by how they'll go to extreme violence but even mild nudity would be a big no no.