Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

That bit at the end lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

signalnoise posted:

More people should watch live action Japanese stuff, it's much better about dumb nerd poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtnVU4BU39E

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
The stupid clockwork mansion level in Dishonored 2 is absolutely terrible and made me dislike the game very strongly.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sonic R has the best soundtrack in the series

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

XeeD posted:

The stupid clockwork mansion level in Dishonored 2 is absolutely terrible and made me dislike the game very strongly.

Lol.

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
I'd like to thank Outriders for the demo convincing me not to buy it cause matchmaking was so loving terrible. From what I've read, that appears to be an accurate representation of the final product. It sucks that this is why no one releases demos anymore though.

Basically standard procedure now is to ship a broken game and then see how bad the backlash is before you decide if it's worth patching or not.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

XeeD posted:

:mods:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

signalnoise posted:

The design of the stick for the saturn 3D controller feels better to me than the modern stick design used by all the big companies

V93S

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

what does this mean

all i could find was some airplane

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been watching Haikyu. It's a great anime that I challenge anyone to watch and hate. It's on Netflix.

Haikyu is pretty great and I've never even heard of sports.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

signalnoise posted:

what does this mean

all i could find was some airplane

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

you son of a bitch

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just read a story about the director of Days Gone who's pissy that people didn't buy it at full price during the launch so now it's not getting a sequel. I guess my unpopular videogame opinion today is that I'm not gonna rush out to buy a game by a C-tier Sony studio that have until then only assisted with finishing up games and it's a new IP plus most of the reviews were middling. Also, how the hell do I know if I love a game if I've never tried it before?
https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/04/days_gone_director_on_skipped_sequel_if_you_love_a_game_buy_it_at_fing_full_price

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Days Gone is just a game i can't comprehend anyone caring about in the exact same way as a ghost of tsushima. unless its the first videogame you've ever seen how can it possibly be interesting

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Days gone is a good game and deserving of a sequel

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

But I'm not that bothered that it's not getting one either

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Everything about Days Gone screamed "Video Game: 2018 edition. " I'm willing to bet its a perfectly good 7-8/10 range game, but its not like I was starving to play an open-world post-apocalyptic zombie game with crafting elements starring a grizzled white man.

Its like the games equivalent of those post John Wick action movies that come out starring pretty big stars that you forget exist until you see them on DVD at the supermarket checkout.

Like, who is this game for? It has nothing novel to offer players more widely like some blockbuster AAA games, but nor is it tailored to a specific niche audience. Its just static. A puff of lukewarm air.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 19, 2021

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Days Gone is actually a really good game. Its not that great when it starts, but by the end it really hits a great stride. The motorcycle controls really well and is very fun to ride, and your friend Boozer is awesome. It had a nice sequel hook at the end and I'm disappointed Sony cancelled it. Its not like Uncharted 1 was any good, this new strategy they seem to have of concentrating only on major blockbuster IPs is whack.

The main character rambling to himself like an insane person that spends too much time by himself is great. Fighting hordes is challenging and satisfying too.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah lol Deacon St John is definitely not grizzled. More like frazzled

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well then maybe I shall purchase it on PC when it's cheap.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm trying to think what my Days Gone is - a 7 out of 10 game that's uninspiring but adequate, doing nothing new but just doing enough to make it worth your time and money. Not exciting enough to book time off work for but just almost worth playing instead of going to sleep.

Its probably most games tbh

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Days Gone is weird because it has a slow start and it’s really hard to describe without it sounding like the most generic poo poo in the world (because the premise is intensely generic) but the execution is just so goddamn good that it won me over anyway. It takes a tired premise and just delivers on it so well it’s hard to not really like it.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Days Gone is weird because it has a slow start and it’s really hard to describe without it sounding like the most generic poo poo in the world (because the premise is intensely generic) but the execution is just so goddamn good that it won me over anyway. It takes a tired premise and just delivers on it so well it’s hard to not really like it.

That's the feeling I get, but also, thats the very definition of a "I'll get it on sale" game.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

The idea of deriding a 7/10 game is just baffling to me. Not every game is going to be a masterpiece and nor does every game need to be. Those games come along and change conventions and push the medium forward and are rightly celebrated for it but a lot of craft goes into a 7/10 game as well and theres no harm in recognising that either

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fridge corn posted:

The idea of deriding a 7/10 game is just baffling to me. Not every game is going to be a masterpiece and nor does every game need to be. Those games come along and change conventions and push the medium forward and are rightly celebrated for it but a lot of craft goes into a 7/10 game as well and theres no harm in recognising that either

This is what assassins creed fans tell themselves

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

JollyBoyJohn posted:

This is what assassins creed fans tell themselves

There's nothing wrong with the assassin's creed games either

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

The best description of Days Gone. It's really just another open world game but it just refined the hell out of all the pillars of one (traveling, quests, characters, etc.) to where it's oddly satisfying to play. It doesn't do anything groundbreaking like RDR2 nor go for "bigger is better" like Just Cause but makes sure you aren't bored at least. It's hard to describe, like you said, because if I were to say what I enjoyed in the game would make it sound like I enjoy generic poo poo.

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 19, 2021

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

It really bothered me how unfinished a lot of it felt. Like how halfway through the game or so, you get a "flashback" that is clearly the cutscenes around a cut tutorial section glued together. It was good fun though and the world felt very atmospheric.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
It seems like Days Gone just had a failure of marketing, if anything.

https://youtu.be/9kCjoIBVWaU

This commercial just feels so... dated: the zombies, the glimpse of a cover system, the "on a steel horse i ride" sad-sack protag, the piano music. The vibe is like that of a video game that exists on a TV show or something "you killing zombies on Days Gone again, sport?"

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Justin Godscock posted:

The best description of Days Gone. It's really just another open world game but it just refined the hell out of all the pillars of one (traveling, quests, characters, etc.) to where it's oddly satisfying to play. It doesn't do anything groundbreaking like RDR2 nor go for "bigger is better" like Just Cause but makes sure you aren't bored at least. It's hard to describe, like you said, because if I were to say what I enjoyed in the game would make it sound like I enjoy generic poo poo.

Sounds like Mad Max so that's cool.

Anyway, I'm an idiot contemplating getting the Mass Effect remaster. Now that's 60 bucks on Steam, but I did find a better offer. There's also a bundle of the remasters and the original version of 3 for only 75. You'd be stupid not to go with that one.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15511/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition__ME3_Owner_Offer/

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lodin posted:

Sounds like Mad Max so that's cool.

Anyway, I'm an idiot contemplating getting the Mass Effect remaster. Now that's 60 bucks on Steam, but I did find a better offer. There's also a bundle of the remasters and the original version of 3 for only 75. You'd be stupid not to go with that one.
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/15511/Mass_Effect_Legendary_Edition__ME3_Owner_Offer/

That’s for people that already own the original version of 3, it ended up making it like 40 bucks with how Steam does bundles.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No, I have 3 on Origin and I'm guessing some automation has hosed it all up. It's telling me I can get 17% off on 3 if I buy it with the remastered collection.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lodin posted:

No, I have 3 on Origin and I'm guessing some automation has hosed it all up. It's telling me I can get 17% off on 3 if I buy it with the remastered collection.

Steam can only see if you own it on Steam if you own it on steam. Just owning it on origin doesn’t work for the loyalty discount. Maybe the origin store has a version that does, but I’m not sure I never use the origin store. I paid 48 bucks after tax for the legendary edition since I have 3 on Steam.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

fridge corn posted:

There's nothing wrong with the assassin's creed games either

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I've never been able to have fun with any assassin's creed game. For some reason they are just super boring to me. They seem like the kinda trash that I'd like, too.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

totally agreed - it's weird how much i really really like this completely generic game.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Caesar Saladin posted:

I've never been able to have fun with any assassin's creed game. For some reason they are just super boring to me. They seem like the kinda trash that I'd like, too.

The problem is you they are clearly icon collecting masterpieces

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah AC is perfectly serviceable as a virtual tourism/OCD simulation

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caesar Saladin posted:

The pirate one is the only good one and that's because you can ignore all of the Assassin's Creed garbage and go be a pirate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Excelzior posted:

yeah AC is perfectly serviceable as a virtual tourism/OCD simulation

Yeah or you could just sleep