Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

treat posted:

I've been playing it on Game Pass and if this is considered good performance, the Steam version must be loving dire. The frame dips are frequent and while it's not unplayable, it certainly isn't what I'd call good or even okay. It also looks like dogshit to the point that I'm wondering if there are driver issues with my GPU, the aliasing is outrageous and it looks like everything in the distance is rendering at 480p

whats your hardware, this was considered a performance hog when it came out but the gamepass version runs fine, consistent 60fps, at 1440p with 4k supersampling on my rtx3070

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

The Steam version ran fine for me at 1080p and my computer is ancient with an overclocked 3570K and 8GB of memory. The newest part is probably my video card, which is a 6GB GTX 1060.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Jenny Agutter posted:

whats your hardware, this was considered a performance hog when it came out but the gamepass version runs fine, consistent 60fps, at 1440p with 4k supersampling on my rtx3070

5700XT and Ryzen 5 3600, 16GB memory. Equivalent to a pretty mid tier or "bottom shelf high-end" system from last gen, in the RTX 2070/2070 S ballpark but with the drivers of a speak & spell. I'm getting dips into the low 20's in many areas and frequently during combat.

I think I'm done with the game unless it gets more interesting or goes way off the rails huffing it's own psuedo-philosophical farts shortly after the amusement park and I should stick it out a bit longer? It's just a gamepass curiosity that I didn't intend on seeing through, but the way they've gone about things with the sloppy port & this updated version seems real scummy and it feels less deserving of my free time. Also, the weird lolita poo poo.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

no mods installed? tried turning off AA? there have been issues with past platinum PC ports and using HDMI monitor connections with games in fullscreen mode, is that your current configuration? that system shouldn't have any issues, maybe its just one of those unexplainable things

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
It's game pass, so UWP--no mods or exclusive fullscreen. AMD's recent cards, the 5700 especially, have been notorious for driver issues so I'm fine with just chalking it up to that. They've beaten me into submission, I can't fight anymore, I have accepted my lot in video life.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

treat posted:

I think I'm done with the game unless it gets more interesting or goes way off the rails huffing it's own psuedo-philosophical farts shortly after the amusement park and I should stick it out a bit longer? It's just a gamepass curiosity that I didn't intend on seeing through, but the way they've gone about things with the sloppy port & this updated version seems real scummy and it feels less deserving of my free time. Also, the weird lolita poo poo.

If it's just performance issues then stick it out. But if you're not enjoying the game even a little up to this point then you should just drop it. There's a payoff at the end but it's not gonna work if you're just forcing yourself through 25 hours of pain for it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Surprise!

https://twitter.com/NieRGame/status/1381925380622192642

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I wonder if that's in anticipation of people playing automata after they finish the remake?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
For people who want some more Nier Automata lore, the first half of one of Yoko Taro's YorHa stage plays recently got official subtitles on youtube.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZV1FaE9pPE

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHpQSfCZN-s

:sickos:

someone that got the game early on resetera says this plays after the first attract mode if you leave the game sit on the title screen

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Homora Gaykemi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHpQSfCZN-s

:sickos:

someone that got the game early on resetera says this plays after the first attract mode if you leave the game sit on the title screen

I will warn that there are things to be spoiled in the remaster so if you're hoping to be surprised avoid spoilers.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

At least there’s less than a week to go.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This going to be the the nier replicant thread?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'm sure we could have a new one like civilized people

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUtPmpZRfeE

The reflection in the puddle.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ImpAtom posted:

I will warn that there are things to be spoiled in the remaster so if you're hoping to be surprised avoid spoilers.

It's been so long since I played the original that I didn't immediately *see* anything in that trailer that would constitute a spoiler (that wasn't in the original game's spoilerific attract screen as well iirc).

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There are clips from late game cutscenes and even the end boss in there.

I suppose it depends if you think of a two second clip of something without context is really a spoiler.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Veotax posted:

There are clips from late game cutscenes and even the end boss in there.

I suppose it depends if you think of a two second clip of something without context is really a spoiler.

Oh, sure. I just meant Replicant-specific spoilers. IIRC, the original Nier had a near-identical spoiler-heavy "attract trailer" with those scenes in it. Still haven't seen any spoilers for "new" elements in the remake.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
I got an email saying my White Snow edition shipped but UPS says it's still awaiting pickup after label creation, despite having that status since wednesday. I was hoping I'd get it early but alas

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

It's been so long since I played the original that I didn't immediately *see* anything in that trailer that would constitute a spoiler (that wasn't in the original game's spoilerific attract screen as well iirc).

I just meant in general.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

RubberLuffy posted:

I got an email saying my White Snow edition shipped but UPS says it's still awaiting pickup after label creation, despite having that status since wednesday. I was hoping I'd get it early but alas

Yeah, I think UPS's tracking for this has gone fucky. I got a notification on the 16th that my game would be here on the 17th, and then two hours later got a notification that the shipping label had been created.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So, the final Nier raid for FFXIV came out this week. I posted a summery of part 1 last year, never bothered posting about part 2 because not much really happened. Here's the part 1 summery:

Veotax posted:

So far it is just: Dwarves find some advanced robots in some ruins (Dwarves in the Shadowbringers setting, which is actually a parallel universe from the rest of FFXIV, build robots). After advancing further into the caves you find Machine Lifeforms banging on a shield surrounding 2P, after blowing them up she immediately asks your help in attacking a factory that's producing the Machine Lifeforms.

The factory looks like it came straight out of Nier, not really looking like the visual style of FFXIV. It clearly wasn't always there and was probably somehow put into the world. Over the course of the raid you're told someone is controlling the Machines and the final boss turns out to be 9S. He talks about how he is going to kill 2P and anyone helping her. The cutscene after you beat him makes a point of showing his eyes, which aren't red and then he falls off the platform into the fog below.

Then you go back to base, 2P reveals that she and 9S aren't humans (or the FFXIV equivalent I guess) and are in fact androids. Then she tells you to go back to the factory to get a mcguffin to repair her and she shuts off from the damage. You then go back to the factory to explore it without combat, find a ton of text logs (which point even more to the factory being sent here from somewhere else), the components of the thing you need to repair 2P, a room filled with 2B corpses, a broken Pod and a deactivated 9S after he climbed out of abyss. The dwarves take 9S because they don't entirely trust 2P and then say it'll take some time to build the thing to repair 2P and you should come back later (in six to eight months, when patch 5.3 comes out)

Part 2 starts with a group of white robed YoRHa androids attacking the Dwarf village and 2P betraying you, 2B jumps out to defend you. Suddenly the YoRHa bunker falls from the sky destroying a mountain and the white YoRHa androids retreat to it. During the raid you learn that the white androids are machine duplicates and I guess 2P asks for your help in attacking the factory to stop 9S. You fight through the bunker (ending in a re-creation of the Alien's ship where you fight Adam and Eve) and kill most of the white androids, including 2P. It ends with 2B taking 9S to go repair him and the village starting to tear it self apart to assign blame, most of it landing on the siblings you've mostly been working with throughout the story. Anogg, the sister leaves wracked with guilt.

In between raid patches they added another quest continuing the story in the meantime, in which Konogg, the brother, is trying to calm the village down and try to make amends but everyone refuses to give him the time of day. Dejected he runs away and you find him back in the alien ship, standing in front of a Seed of Destruction from Drakengard. You then get a vision of his past (the player character in FFXIV has a power that lets them see other people's memories when it's convenient for the plot) in which you find out that Anogg died in a cave-in, while looking for her Konogg found a Seed and it created a duplicate of her. Konogg either doesn't understand or refuses to accept that this isn't Anogg and accepts her as his sister. The game doesn't make it clear how long ago this is, so it could have been weeks before the raid, or even years.

Part 3 starts with Konogg falling ill as he's barely moved in his depression, then the Seed creating a copy of the tower from Automata. 2B and 9S found Anogg off screen and she now knows what she is and understands what's going on, telling you that the Seed needs to be stopped. You fight through the tower, going into hacking space (somehow) to fight some bosses from Nier Replicant and then the Machine Intelligence/the Red Girl. The Red Girl eventually merges with the seed and then sends itself through a portal and comes out as something else. You kill it, Anogg sacrifices her life to close the portal, 2B, 9S and the tower disappear as the Seed created them and it's now destroyed (but the factory and the crashed Bunker stick around for some reason.
Anogg leaves a letter for Konogg explaining that the Seed was being used by the Machines to destroy the world for some reason and she had to stop it. Anogg leaves the village to try to learn more about the Seed and the villagers keep looking for someone to assign blame to now that the siblings are gone rather than moving on.

There are some weekly quests that might shed some more light on the story, but right now it looks like the Nier stuff was mostly set dressing and I guess Yoko Taro wanted to tell a story about a village tearing itself apart after a tragedy trying to assign blame rather than moving on?
I might be mis-remembering some details in these re-caps, it's been months since I did the story of part 2 and I was a bit tired from a marathon play session when I did part 3. Not really sure how I feel about the conclusion myself.

The highlight of the raids is definitely the music, most of it is just taken straight from the Automata soundtrack but the final boss of each raid has a track that's a unique mix of a FFXIV track and an Nier track:

Raid 1, The Copied Factory: Weight of the World (Nier) & Prelude (FF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidkSDUMI8E

Raid 2, The Puppet's Bunker: Dark Colossus Destroys All (Nier) & Torn from the Heavens (FF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG3Vj1VA7WM

Raid 3, The Tower at Paradigm's Breach: Chaotic Song (Drakengard 3), Kaine - Salvation (Nier), FF Theme (FF)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fr9OEKNbElQ

Gibbering
May 24, 2014

:catdrugs:

Veotax posted:

There are some weekly quests that might shed some more light on the story, but right now it looks like the Nier stuff was mostly set dressing and I guess Yoko Taro wanted to tell a story about a village tearing itself apart after a tragedy trying to assign blame rather than moving on?

That's what I've gotten out of it. Taro wanted to tell a story about groupthink and scapegoating to avoid personal responsibility for one's actions in the group, and the raid was a set dressing to escalate the situation and move the plot along.

The Doomsaying Dwarf having a character arc going from "WE'RE ALL DOOMED AND THERE'S NOTHING I CAN DO SO I'M GOING TO PASSIVELY WATCH THE DOOM COME" to "WE'RE ALL DOOMED NO MATTER WHAT, SO I SHALL ACTIVELY MARCH US TOWARDS IT, gently caress PASSIVITY" is great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

While I liked the village stuff, I do hope we get some sort of explanation as to where the machines/androids came from in-universe. Were they literally imported from the Taro-verse (probably) or do they exist within FFXIV's world and just happen to look and sound exactly like Nier characters/places (which is what they've done with every other FFXIV crossover).

It seems like the weekly letters will shed more light on it though. I hope there's something mad at the end of it all.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

A lot of ff14's crossover stuff is just "well, I'm here now but am from somewhere else" which I'm pretty ok with since its all out of universe fluff. Didn't care much about the plot but for me the good poo poo emotional hits are trying to keep my poo poo together while the extremely good Nier/ff14 mashups play through bosses. Last boss of of 3rd raid was brutal for this since they saved the best track for last.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, but most of XIV's crossovers before this were limited time special events that lasted a week or two or the Monster Hunter crossover (which seems to be permanent) which is a short storyline and a trial.
Since this is the Alliance Raid series for an entire expansion and spread out over two years I kinda expected something more integrated, a bit more of an explanation. All the machines and the androids are clearly from a different universe and not native to The First and they arrived via the Seed of Destruction, but you don't get an explanation of why they're invading and trying to destroy the world.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm glad FFXIV players got to enjoy The Flowe,r even if it was a weaker version.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I think I just assumed the Androids and Machines in FFXIV came from the ark shot off at the end of Nier: Automata by the Machine Pillar, or a piece of it, that landed on Hydaelyn. Like the Ark hivemind just decided "Nope, I'm gonna ditch all this baggage" and dropped it off.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I can’t believe they had a dungeon themed after The Tower but didn’t use the actual Tower music from Automata.
Biggest disappointment of the raid series, I want that poo poo on my orchestrion :colbert:

Veotax posted:

Yeah, but most of XIV's crossovers before this were limited time special events that lasted a week or two or the Monster Hunter crossover (which seems to be permanent) which is a short storyline and a trial.
Since this is the Alliance Raid series for an entire expansion and spread out over two years I kinda expected something more integrated, a bit more of an explanation. All the machines and the androids are clearly from a different universe and not native to The First and they arrived via the Seed of Destruction, but you don't get an explanation of why they're invading and trying to destroy the world.

the raid is written by yoko taro, it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a lot of stuff is a bit vague

Augus fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 19, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
We finally have a trailer that shows some of the new stuff that will be in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02PJzAAR8M0

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

We finally have a trailer that shows some of the new stuff that will be in the game.

So unless there is more than the trailer shows (which there could be) it looks like the only really new stuff is Episode Mermaid. The rest is just costumes and weapons. I'm pretty sure that the 15 Nightmares was just the DLC from the original release.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

costumes is a very good excuse for letting the VAs say they're involved and not elaborating on why

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Hunt11 posted:

We've been speculating about Papa Nier's presence for months and they just...tweeted it out.

The new chapter looks good, though!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Edit: sold

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 19, 2021

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

History Comes Inside! posted:

Anyone wanna buy a steam key for replicant? It’s from the square enix store.

I ordered the white snow edition for PC and then my brother asked if I want to split digital on PS4, so if someone pays me £25 for the steam key I haven’t burnt myself and they get the game cheaper than retail (and cheaper than shady 3rd party key reseller retail too).

Any way to tell if it'll redeem on a US account? I'd be down if so

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Fawf posted:

Any way to tell if it'll redeem on a US account? I'd be down if so

Edit: sold

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 19, 2021

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JordanKai posted:

We've been speculating about Papa Nier's presence for months and they just...tweeted it out.

The new chapter looks good, though!

The new chapter's boss fight is probably the best in the game.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

With Nier coming out this week, I thought to myself 'hey, maybe I should give Drakengard a shot!'

About 15 minutes later, now armed with first hand knowledge of how bad a game Drakengard is, I started rereading the LP instead.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Coward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The watchers they laugh