Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani
Just finished There Is No Game, which I picked up on a whim after seeing it in the indie showcase and I can highly recommend it. Probably a 4-5 hour runtime through 6 well-paced chapters, clever solutions, never stays on one thing long enough to wear out it’s welcome and where I usually bounce off certain styles of puzzles I only felt compelled to go to hints once or twice to keep things moving. It’s a linear, lightly narrative-driven experience rather than an anthology

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my ShadowCast today and there is some lag. Not anything super noticeable, really, but I did notice it mostly because I expected there to be none, if that makes sense.

It also made me realize how much my setup has changed since I originally bought this thing. I moved from a single monitor to dual monitor, so making the game fullscreen in the app on one screens gives me the exact same experience as switching to HDMI 1 on one of the monitors.

Anyway, the thing is cool. It works exactly as it should. I imagine if you want to stream with this thing, you might want to cop one of those HDMI splitters on Amazon for cheap, though. Then just play the game on one screen, maybe monitor the Genki Arcade app in the other.

I don't understand what this product is.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I don't understand what this product is.

i googled it, and it lets your switch/playstation/whatever output to your laptop screen

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
With some lag apparently

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
It looks like it's just a cheap USB capture card*. Capture cards always have lag, as far as I know, especially USB ones. But $40 is good in for this kind of product, so if it works consistently it's probably a good product.

I recently bought an internal card, which are faster than USB cards, and even then the lag is bad enough to make it unplayable on PC. But that just means I bought a splitter. If the product works as advertised, it sounds like a good pickup for people who are interested in streaming or recording Switch games.

* I realize it's not a card but I don't know what else to call it. You know what I mean.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
Honestly I'd just grab one of those cheapo $15 capture cards off Amazon/eBay and use that instead. The one I have has almost no lag and it can do 720p/60fps just fine.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Toad King posted:

Honestly I'd just grab one of those cheapo $15 capture cards off Amazon/eBay and use that instead. The one I have has almost no lag and it can do 720p/60fps just fine.

Got a link handy?

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

Len posted:

Got a link handy?

Just search for "USB capture card" and look for the cheapest one that looks like this:

They're all the same chip inside and they're everywhere. Don't go for a more expensive version that claims to be USB 3.0: They're scams and it's the exact same thing only with a blue USB plug to make you think it's USB 3.0.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Sorry, but yes, that’s exactly what it does. It’s made by Human Things or Genki (not sure which they go by these days) but they’re the people who made the Genki Audio that let you easily pair Bluetooth stuff to the Switch before everyone more or less just cloned theirs. They made the Genki Dock too which is portable dock — maybe one of two third party docks that works correctly.

And now they have the ShadowCast. Part of its allure was built around it having a dedicated app too. Which I will admit, is very nice.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess I don't understand the point of casting a game to a laptop screen. The tv is right over there. In fact sometimes I put the laptop screen on the tv

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I guess I don't understand the point of casting a game to a laptop screen. The tv is right over there. In fact sometimes I put the laptop screen on the tv

Shadowcast was shown in the kickstarter being used by people in like a hotel or an airport

I just want to be able to show my friends cool switch games

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Len posted:

Shadowcast was shown in the kickstarter being used by people in like a hotel or an airport

This and also Twitch streaming, etc.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Len posted:

But... The switch has a screen?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Yes, the idea of using your laptop screen instead of the undocked Switch makes no sense. And nobody is really going to be willing to accept 50ms of lag, unless they hate playing games well and enjoy being bad at things. But as a capture card, if this is reliable it’s genuinely going to be best-in-class when it comes out, as far as I know. 1080p/60Hz is quite nice.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Even a 13" laptop has over 4 times the screen area of the switch. Split screen on the switch itself is basically unusable, unless you can both get right up to it.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It doesn’t have to take over the screen entirely either. Like, optimally you’d want it to be full screen, but there are a handful of times when it would’ve been nice to have the game play in a window while I simultaneously check some other app.

But as with most gaming peripheries, it’s aiming to fill a niche.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I got the shadowcast as well and as far as I'm aware it's great as an input device. Does introduce a couple frames of lag but it's not enough to throw off my MHR performance. It works great for streaming and having fine control over relative volumes of my chat/music/game, though I'm guessing it's not doing anything any other USB HDMI adapter couldn't

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I recently bought a 15" portable monitor for Monster Hunter sessions at a friend's house and it works wonderfully. It's powered via USB C connected to the Switch dock. Even has its own speakers. And if a friend who's not docked is running low on battery we can easily trade places. Very happy with that purchase.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finally got through the sixteen cube door in Fez and there's an entire village of people that speak in the weird box language that I'm not entirely sure if I should be able to translate or not. Like it sort of feels like that's what the game intends for me to do. Now there's apparently a 32 cube door and I don't know what the gently caress to do about that. There's some areas that feel like there's a puzzle for me to solve but I don't know how to do it, like there's one area where there's very clearly things underwater which implies "Make the water level lower" except there doesn't seem to be anywhere to do that.

The game is succeeding in making me feel like a goddamn idiot for being completely unable to figure out what to do in rooms that apparently have secrets, or even how to reach certain platforms that seem to be completely inaccessible. I did, however, briefly feel like a goddamn genius for figuring out, without any assistance, the puzzle with the block that lights up with different patterns depending on what button you press.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
I got Ikenfell in the super mega indie sale and I'm really digging it even though I'm not far in, RPG about being a witch with battles with a very light srpg format and paper-mario-esque attacks that can be powered up by timed button inputs. Also grabbed Batbarian, which seems like a generally solid metroidvania so far. Anyone else have recommendations that stood out to them? Looking to prioritize some of my backlog/pick up quality games I'd missed.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Twelve by Pies posted:

I did, however, briefly feel like a goddamn genius for figuring out, without any assistance, the puzzle with the block that lights up with different patterns depending on what button you press.

if i'm remembering right, that puzzle is the key to a bunch of other puzzles.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just got a Switch a week ago. I thought the feature was silly on paper but I am loving the ability to disconnect the controllers and just have my hands wherever. Great for a large-handed guy when even the XL 3DS would cramp up after an hour of heavy play.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Bruceski posted:

Just got a Switch a week ago. I thought the feature was silly on paper but I am loving the ability to disconnect the controllers and just have my hands wherever. Great for a large-handed guy when even the XL 3DS would cramp up after an hour of heavy play.

I bought a cheap grip off AliExpress for my 3DS XL and it makes it a lot nicer in my large hands.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

The Postman posted:

Any first time Fez goons collaborating with each other?

I'm curious what you mean by this. Do you mean trying to figure out the 10 or so puzzles?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

woke kaczynski posted:

I got Ikenfell in the super mega indie sale and I'm really digging it even though I'm not far in, RPG about being a witch with battles with a very light srpg format and paper-mario-esque attacks that can be powered up by timed button inputs. Also grabbed Batbarian, which seems like a generally solid metroidvania so far. Anyone else have recommendations that stood out to them? Looking to prioritize some of my backlog/pick up quality games I'd missed.

If it's on sale in your region I highly recommend A Robot Named Fight. It's a randomized Super Metroid clone and it's great, it hooked me for at least 30 hours. It's often on sale for 2 bucks or less, which is when I got it, but honestly it's still a bargain at the 10 dollar full price.

Hades is amazing and I'm glad I bought it. I'll be playing it for a while.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

woke kaczynski posted:

Yokus Island Express is a Metroidvania Pinball game and it rules. :2bong:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finally got through the sixteen cube door in Fez and there's an entire village of people that speak in the weird box language that I'm not entirely sure if I should be able to translate or not. Like it sort of feels like that's what the game intends for me to do. Now there's apparently a 32 cube door and I don't know what the gently caress to do about that. There's some areas that feel like there's a puzzle for me to solve but I don't know how to do it, like there's one area where there's very clearly things underwater which implies "Make the water level lower" except there doesn't seem to be anywhere to do that.

The game is succeeding in making me feel like a goddamn idiot for being completely unable to figure out what to do in rooms that apparently have secrets, or even how to reach certain platforms that seem to be completely inaccessible. I did, however, briefly feel like a goddamn genius for figuring out, without any assistance, the puzzle with the block that lights up with different patterns depending on what button you press.

Remember that truly figuring out Fez means that you'll need a pencil and maybe graph paper. Nothing aside from your overall map is logged in-game; you have to figure out the language yourself. And it's possible.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Bruceski posted:

For big handed folks, I always suggest these. Will change your life and they're usually on sale somewhere.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-j...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The batteries give them longer life but I'm mainly in it for the grips, don't put batteries in mine.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

External Organs posted:

Yokus Island Express is a Metroidvania Pinball game and it rules. :2bong:

Yeah this is a great little game. Full of charm.

I have a couple more questions on Hades, sorry for being so late to the party. Just to be clear the only permanent upgrades you can get are done back in the mansion right? Hammers only work per run? Also you can't make mistakes? Like giving a Nectar to someone is always useful, or will you waste your time? Is there a limit to how many Nectars you can offer?

The first boss is clearly tough, I keep getting consistently to her but I also keep at her. It's perfect. Quick runs with things to unlock. It's almost too obvious what they did with the game, but the action is great, the weapons are incredibly diverse and yeah it's great. My best run was with the bow with a weaker auto-shot. The first boss still got me though.

Anyway I'm loving it. I'm actually listening to the VA, which not something I do often when given the chance to read. I finally got the Compendium which is just a delight and I'm going to do what I can to unlock it to completion.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, mirror upgrades are permanent, anything you get in the run is temporary, and you only get the option to give nectar when it's beneficial in some way

The only character who will never stop accepting nectar is Bouldy

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Don't know if there's a megathread for this somewhere so i'm just leaving the Anime Farm Report here: pioneers of olive town is alright

Which is disappointing after trio of towns kicked so much rear end, all they had to do was Trio Of Towns Again But This Time There's Gay Marriage and it would've been 10/10 easy. Instead they gutted the social aspect(besides keeping gay marriage around from the FOMT remake, which is good) and added 20,000 construction machines in a weird attempt to ape stardew without understanding both why stardew was good and why story of seasons was fine doing it's own thing

The farming part is fun though, they nailed & improved a couple stardew things like the fun animal crossing museum where you can donate treasures and fish and photos of wild animals, and having skills that give you immediate tangible benefits when they level. Also you can ride a giant wolf or magical unicorn

It's a resounding Decent, upgraded to Good if you're like me and are one of the 3 fans of the anime farming genre

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

bushisms.txt posted:

For big handed folks, I always suggest these. Will change your life and they're usually on sale somewhere.

https://www.target.com/p/nintendo-j...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

The batteries give them longer life but I'm mainly in it for the grips, don't put batteries in mine.

These are good, I did put batteries in mine but they're dead ones for ballast.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

What are the best rogue likes on switch? I am including non rpg titles, I've already played binding of Isaac, slay the spire, and hades

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

What are the best rogue likes on switch? I am including non rpg titles, I've already played binding of Isaac, slay the spire, and hades

risk of rain 2, scourgebringer, one step from eden, dead cells, enter the gungeon and streets of rogue are all good roguelikes that scratch various itches depending on what you want from the gameplay.

e: and shiren and tangledeep for actual turn based rpg roguelikes. tangledeep is much better without permadeath though.

e2: risk of rain 2 is what i'm currently doing runs in when i'm burned out on monster hunter. it's extremely stressful, in a good way. but would be hard to enjoy if you don't like having a constantly escalating difficulty breathing down your neck the whole run.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 19, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

b_d posted:

if i'm remembering right, that puzzle is the key to a bunch of other puzzles.

I just got an Anti-Cube from it. Unless you mean there's other similar puzzles but so far I haven't seen any other stones that light up like that one.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Remember that truly figuring out Fez means that you'll need a pencil and maybe graph paper. Nothing aside from your overall map is logged in-game; you have to figure out the language yourself. And it's possible.

I'm supremely dumb because I can't even see how a pencil and graph paper would help, aside from making a map to tell which door goes where slightly easier than the in-game map. I figured that the language was possible to figure out, I'm just not sure if the game actually expects me to do it to solve puzzles or something or if it's just a "Hey neat you figured it out" thing like the Al Bhed in FFX (well, okay, there's like two puzzles in Home where you technically need to know Al Bhed to open chests).

Yinlock posted:

added 20,000 construction machines in a weird attempt to ape stardew without understanding both why stardew was good and why story of seasons was fine doing it's own thing

Well the Makers were in previous SoS games, it's just that they were mostly used for easily making things like mayonnaise from eggs (though you could also make mayonnaise in the kitchen) and dying wool. It seems they put in way too many Makers this time like you said though, and the worst part from what I understand is a single Maker takes up a ton of space and can't be placed as closely to other Makers as in previous games, and each Maker can only take one item at a time. So when you need like 200 lumber for something, you're stuck placing about twenty Makers on half your farm each making a single piece of lumber at a time and repeat multiple times.

I have heard they might tweak some of that stuff with a patch though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I bought a cheap grip off AliExpress for my 3DS XL and it makes it a lot nicer in my large hands.

Drop a link yo. There's a few games I wanna go back to on 3DS but my hands cramp up too

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yinlock posted:

Don't know if there's a megathread for this somewhere so i'm just leaving the Anime Farm Report here: pioneers of olive town is alright

Here's the thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956346 but it's a bit dead.

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm curious what you mean by this. Do you mean trying to figure out the 10 or so puzzles?

Yeah, just wondering if anybody is collaborating on the 10 puzzle game, Fez.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Foul Fowl posted:

risk of rain 2, scourgebringer, one step from eden, dead cells, enter the gungeon and streets of rogue are all good roguelikes that scratch various itches depending on what you want from the gameplay.

e: and shiren and tangledeep for actual turn based rpg roguelikes. tangledeep is much better without permadeath though.

e2: risk of rain 2 is what i'm currently doing runs in when i'm burned out on monster hunter. it's extremely stressful, in a good way. but would be hard to enjoy if you don't like having a constantly escalating difficulty breathing down your neck the whole run.

Enter the Gungeon would be my recommendation but I just looked and saw Risk of Rain 2 is on sale for $10 so I'm going to give that a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

In my opinion and of what I own:

Crypt of the Necrodancer: Just so many options and possibilites. There's at least a dozen characters with different mechanics to choose from, tons of tracks and remixes to keep the main mechanic fresh, and the randomization is top-notch. Very addictive, and can get quite hard, that borders on frustrating but ultimately rewarding. Runs are quick, the different weapons help keep it fresh. Cadence of Hyrule offers the same gameplay but is far easier with less variation. I don't know how much the DLC added or improved on it however.

A Robot Named Fight: A personal favorite. It's a Super Metroid clone with randomized upgrades and maps. That's it! Runs can lost up to an hour and a bit especially if you return to areas to collect all the upgrades, which you'll do if you like that from Super Metroid. I love filling out the map in every run. The game has a bunch of unlockables and content and even a few different modes to keep you interested far longer than you'd expect. There's quite a few endings to unlock too. It's a hidden gem and I highly recommend it.

Into the Breach Randomized strategy tactics game in which you unlock more pilots and mechas. It's your robots versus kaiju with a great gameplay design, essentially you know what the enemy is going to do and you have to take risky decisions to stop them. Easy Mode is easy and quite fun to just face stomp. The tactics get cutting the harder you try to play it. One of the best tactics game in a while and a quality product through and through. Plenty of things to unlock and builds to develop in every run.

Tangledeep I don't often care much for side things like graphics or music (that is it's rarely the reason I'll like or dislike in a game) but the game is gorgeous and the sound design very very good. Very much a traditional Rogue that can get a bit tough, it features a job system so you can mix and match skills. It's interesting and done well, and while you can permanently upgrade the central hub it's really a fresh start at each go.

Dead Cells It has the weapon/gameplay style that you see in Hades, and I personally played it a bit more like a beat 'em up more than anything else because the action is smooth and fun. However, the way it increases difficulty is rather insane and it gets unfun rather quickly (after 2 thorough victories) which is very unfortunate because it is chock full of content. Still it's fun to play when you're at it at first. It's possible to cheese it with save states, so it's not all that bad, but it does kind rob the point of the genre. Tons of things to unlock, but not everything is useful, not a thing I like personally. Not to end on a bad note, I do want to be clear it is definitely fun for plenty of time.

Road Redemption A lesser suggestion, but if you ever liked Road Rage you'll enjoy this game. It's janky as gently caress and at times just a touch complicated and too difficult for dumb reasons, but as you get your permanent upgrades it becomes both easier and more doable. It's biggest issue is that there just isn't a lot of variation. Stage goals run the gamut of several options but are more often than not Race or Kill X Number of Enemies, which is harder than it sounds. Runs are short so it keeps you at it, though loading times are just long enough to be a pain. Still it is very satisfying to knock people off of motor cycles. Can't complain about that.

Nuclear Throne A very difficult arcade twin stick shooter, it does offer tons of variation and is FAST. It's got no permanent upgrades, aside from character unlocks, which will make you feel like you're getting nowhere but it hardly matters because it's fun. It's also very hard. A lot style and cheap.