Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Veeb0rg posted:

I picked this up for pretty cheap. I have a buddy who does time attack and road course racing that I'm thinking of using this for. It has a lot of upgrades and mods on it from the previous owner, quite peppy little car.

drat I feel like I haven't seen a first gen Neon in over a decade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Veeb0rg posted:

I picked this up for pretty cheap. I have a buddy who does time attack and road course racing that I'm thinking of using this for. It has a lot of upgrades and mods on it from the previous owner, quite peppy little car.

Neons make excellent race cars. Plenty of 'em in every autocross event. There are many options for aftermarket go-fast bits and a broad community of people who can help with advice and guides as well as selling parts.
White Neon 1024 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Blue-black Neon 1024 by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
Robin Neon T-Shirt by Martin Brummell, on Flickr (this one became our logo for our club's year-ender weekend competition that year)
Neon (White) 3 burning brakes by Martin Brummell, on Flickr
One of my favourite autocross pictures - note the flames around the front brakes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I hardly see those anymore. Good find.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I love Neon’s; they’re so cheerful compared to the angry/constipated-looking cars that we get these days.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

ExecuDork posted:

Neons make excellent race cars. Plenty of 'em in every autocross event. There are many options for aftermarket go-fast bits and a broad community of people who can help with advice and guides as well as selling parts.

This one has nearly every aftermarket part I could need or want already on it. I have another friend who is the neon version of kastein. He's coming over next weekend and we're gonna do a bunch of the maintenance since it sat for 3 yrs. It needs a bunch of TLC but should be a fun project.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
SRT4 Neons are badass.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Hell yeah, another first gen Neon owner!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
OMG Kawaii Neon, what is happening

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
And I may say to myself, "My God! What have I done?!?"

I recently had an accident that ruined my '04 Corolla and the price to fix it was well beyond what is what worth. A friend's elderly sister passed away last year and he offered me her old car - a 2002 Saturn SL1. She owned it since new and babied it. Oil changes every six months even though she only drove it less than 3,000 miles per year. She only used premium gas despite it not requiring it. She never had to make any repairs.

The engine (before I got the car washed)

Found the window sticker in the glove box

Some minor paint issues:

trunk

The top of the rear passenger door

The front bumper took a small ding and I need to firmly reattach it on the passenger's side. Also the tab holding the side marker light is broken off.

The best part is the mileage

I got the oil changed and replaced the battery and tires. All other mechanical issues checked out. I took it to a car wash and gave it a good scrubbing. I took it for a spin on the interstate today and it held its own quite well.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
congrats! that's pretty close to to a time capsule car as you're gonna get for a commuter car

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

The Neon and Saturn are two of the cars that make me feel a bit of jealous nostalgia in this thread.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Same. Meanwhile, I need to get off my rear end and file my 1040X for that sweet extra tax refund due to the $10,200 UI exemption.

Should get me enough for my second car!

Which will hopefully last me longer than 2 weeks.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kilonum posted:

Same. Meanwhile, I need to get off my rear end and file my 1040X for that sweet extra tax refund due to the $10,200 UI exemption.

Which will hopefully last me longer than 2 weeks.

I was just looking into this, you don't need to file an amended return, they'll automatically recalculate and refund you the difference.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-may

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

[quote="Kilonum" post="514101130"]

I suggest a nice 4 cylinder japanese sedan from the mid to late 2000s.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Why would you use premium gas in an engine not designed for it? Did she think that made it healthier somehow, because it's more expensive? The important thing is to use top tier gas brands with detergents to prevent carbon buildup, right?

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

davebo posted:

Why would you use premium gas in an engine not designed for it? Did she think that made it healthier somehow, because it's more expensive? The important thing is to use top tier gas brands with detergents to prevent carbon buildup, right?

Octane levels degrade over time, so if you put premium in it now, but never drive it, people think it's better?
Ultimately the best thing to do is just use regular and put stabilizer in the tank. That's what I do with the majority of my cars.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

davebo posted:

Yes, there's an entire generation or two who think "high test" is better quality gas.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

opengl128 posted:

Yes, there's an entire generation or two who think "high test" is better quality gas.

Hemmings Podcast had a very good episode with Sunoco Race Fuels on this and all other myths recently.

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2021/03/23/dispelling-myths-on-modern-fuel-sunoco-joins-the-hemmings-hot-rod-bbq-podcast

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

The most recent Engine Masters on MTOD did a great octane comparison too. Spoiler alert: there was zero power difference from 87 all the way up to 110 race fuel in an LS3.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sounds like their particular setup wasn't knock limited, that is certainly not the case for all motors

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

opengl128 posted:

The most recent Engine Masters on MTOD did a great octane comparison too. Spoiler alert: there was zero power difference from 87 all the way up to 110 race fuel in an LS3.

That doesn’t sound right to me. I can feel w difference when I use the nice german stuff. Got a link?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BlackMK4 posted:

Sounds like their particular setup wasn't knock limited, that is certainly not the case for all motors

This is exactly right. An engine that doesn’t have preignition problems on 87 octane is not going to run “better” on 93, because it already doesn’t have knock issues. If you increase the dynamic compression ratio of the engine without changing anything else, the engine will likely require a higher octane-rating fuel to run without preignition, and will make more power. It is not making that power because of six points of octane rating, though. It’s making more power because the compression ratio is higher.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

opengl128 posted:

I was just looking into this, you don't need to file an amended return, they'll automatically recalculate and refund you the difference.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-may

Well you just saved me an hour of paperwork when I get home from work today!

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

PaintVagrant posted:

I suggest a nice 4 cylinder japanese sedan from the mid to late 2000s.

Avoid the Corollas and 4-cyl Camrys with oil consumption issues.
Avoid the Accords with transmission issues (automatics!).
Avoid Civics because they're hot garbage and I'm pretty sure they also have transmission issues.

This was a dark time for the blue chip Japanese stuff. That said, Toyota V6's are still good, just make sure you do the timing belt on the variable valve timing ones (the earlier ones are non-interference). Some of the Korean stuff from that time period seems to be holding up well, like the V6 Sonatas. Or, if you can find one, Accords from 1998-2011/12ish are reliable if you get the manual transmission.

edit:// the ultimate reliable is, more or less, the Prius. They're not even that expensive, and batteries are apparently DIY-able.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

RIP Paul Walker posted:

This was a dark time for the blue chip Japanese stuff.

Well, he's not going to find a 1995 camry or es400 rust free with 72,000 miles on it. The ship has sailed on those cars generally speaking, although if you find the time capsule car snatch it up of course. I agree that a prius is arguably the best car of this era.

My personal experiences with "dark time" japanese cars:

07 camry hybrid bulletproof up to over 200k miles. Batteries and AC work only.
04 automatic 4 cylinder accord over 100k miles (also bulletproof), I changed trans fluid every 30k or so
07 civic si ~140k miles - a pain in the rear end to work on but reliable, other than the AC compressor making GBS threads itself.
08 civic ex (manual) 105k miles - also a pain in the rear end to work on and has the worst drive by wire throttle lag ive ever had the misfortune of driving, but was otherwise totally bulletproof.

There's a lot of pining for the good old days of super light deathtrap obd1 japanese cars from the 90s, but the mid 2000s-2013 cars are not nearly as bad as some people seem to think they are. Their primary sin is having uh, quirky looks.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

To be fair, it was a dark time for most cars, not just Japanese commuters.

Also gently caress all CVTs

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Disagree.

The mid-late 2000s were when Japanese cars started getting good again. That's when we got the 8th gen Civic, 7th gen narrow body Accord/TSX and original Mazda 3/6

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

And I may say to myself, "My God! What have I done?!?"

You bought a car that has to be actively neglected to kill (but attracts drivers who actively neglect them).

Don't worry. That SES light will never turn off.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

davebo posted:

That's exactly what she believed. She also believed the "Rolls Royces have locked hoods and only a licensed mechanic has the key so that the owners can never try to work on the engine" myth.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 20, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Ranzear posted:

You bought a car that has to be actively neglected to kill (but attracts drivers who actively neglect them).

Don't worry. That SES light will never turn off.

The SES light was on because I had the key switched to the "on" postition. The battery was completely dead and I had to use a jump pack in order to get the mileage for the title change. It's not on when the car is running.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Avoid the Accords with transmission issues (automatics!).
Avoid Civics because they're hot garbage and I'm pretty sure they also have transmission issues.

V6 Accord automatic transmissions were largely reliable again by the mid 2000s.

One of my brothers had an 06 Civic Si which I thought was a hoot to drive, even if it did lack power (especially down low) compared to the 07 Mazdaspeed3 I had at the time. Today I'd buy that Si but I wouldn't buy the MS3. A regular Mazda3 I'd consider, but I'd go newer if possible.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

It's not on when the car is running.

I was gonna joke about something definitely being wrong with the car if that light doesn't stay on, but for real I've looked at buying an older ('97?) SC2 and the light not being on tipped me off that they had cleared the codes and misfire data before showing it to me and there was definitely a reason they didn't want me taking it around the block. I was really looking for a short wheelbase car anyway, so it was definitely a 97+ (2nd gen, shared wheelbase with 4dr) now that I think about it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Figure, you've already done a Volvo, why not double down and try a Saab?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Mcqueen posted:

Freelander.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Mcqueen posted:

By that logic, my third car should be a Koenigsegg

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Mcqueen posted:

I've got a biturbo you can buy...

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Bape Culture posted:

That doesn’t sound right to me. I can feel w difference when I use the nice german stuff.

Superior German petroleum.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I dunno, the CVT in my 2018 Civic 1.5T was pretty good. I’d still prefer a DCT or normal auto, but it didn’t completely suck the fun out of the car as dramatically as modern Subarus and Nissans.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I just brought home something new yesterday.

It's a little rough, maybe a 50-footer, but I'm hoping it can be cleaned up into a 10-footer eventually. The first step is to remove all the skulls (I've found 17, so far).

The electrical system is total jank, but luckily I have some experience there, so that should be fairly straightforward. The alternator currently doesn't work, but I bet that has something to do with the dozens of twist-n-tape connections and vampire taps.

It's got slapper bars, a spool in the rear, and a bottle in the trunk, so it was someone's race car at some point. Unfortunately that was like 3 owners back, so I don't really have the story there. The battery disconnect is a great representation of the car as a whole: it has one, because racecar, but it's just floating next to the battery, because yeehaw.

I'm going to clean it up a little, straighten out the jank where needed, and just drive it without looking too closely at it. There is a lot that would need fixing to make it "right" deep down. I've already got a project car, so I want to get this sorted and slotted into the "daily driver" spot quickly; I don't want another big multi-year project.

The air cleaner and license plate brag about a 390, but it's got a 343. At least, it's got 343 heads on it. It's one of those dealer service blocks that is an under-bored 401 with the numbers ground off, so it's possible that it got punched out and turned into a 390. I won't know without pulling the oil pan to see what crank is in it. But, that goes against my plans not to look too deeply, so I mustn't!

It's a 4-speed, though, so any V8 will be fun. It doesn't need to be fast. At least I keep telling myself that. We'll see how long I can hold myself to that.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Raluek posted:

I just brought home something new yesterday.

It's a little rough, maybe a 50-footer, but I'm hoping it can be cleaned up into a 10-footer eventually. The first step is to remove all the skulls (I've found 17, so far).

The electrical system is total jank, but luckily I have some experience there, so that should be fairly straightforward. The alternator currently doesn't work, but I bet that has something to do with the dozens of twist-n-tape connections and vampire taps.

It's got slapper bars, a spool in the rear, and a bottle in the trunk, so it was someone's race car at some point. Unfortunately that was like 3 owners back, so I don't really have the story there. The battery disconnect is a great representation of the car as a whole: it has one, because racecar, but it's just floating next to the battery, because yeehaw.

I'm going to clean it up a little, straighten out the jank where needed, and just drive it without looking too closely at it. There is a lot that would need fixing to make it "right" deep down. I've already got a project car, so I want to get this sorted and slotted into the "daily driver" spot quickly; I don't want another big multi-year project.

The air cleaner and license plate brag about a 390, but it's got a 343. At least, it's got 343 heads on it. It's one of those dealer service blocks that is an under-bored 401 with the numbers ground off, so it's possible that it got punched out and turned into a 390. I won't know without pulling the oil pan to see what crank is in it. But, that goes against my plans not to look too deeply, so I mustn't!

It's a 4-speed, though, so any V8 will be fun. It doesn't need to be fast. At least I keep telling myself that. We'll see how long I can hold myself to that.

Holy poo poo this rules. I love the way those AMC engines sound and that's the best looking one they made imo.

I worked on a 68 a few years ago and it was a 290 but had 343 badges on it. They beat the "Type R" upgrade faker badging by decades, hah.

E: Oh yea if you ever have to change the water pump pay attention to the distance the pulley sticks out. There's like 3 different sizes. Ask me how I know.