Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Oh good, French is a very nice dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

thebardyspoon posted:

Allen Gregory is the worst cartoon I've ever seen and I suspect it has only gotten worse with age. About the only positive is Keith David and French Stewart got some money for it.

It was one of the worst things to ever exist in the history of time. gently caress Jonah Hill.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

jjack229 posted:

You made it further than me. The general setting summary sounded fine, then the name of the first character was "Chode McBlob" and the second character was a sex slave and I stopped.

I was gonna say, the main character's name is literally Chode, if that doesn't tip people off about the general tone of the show, I don't know what to say.

The sex slave thing was...not great. But I don't remember the writers putting in anything nonconsensual, at least. Like, she routinely told the main character to gently caress off. The "joke" was that the sex robot/slave was the most competent person in the crew, and even she couldn't stand Chode half the time.

That's the sum total of what I remember from that show. That and Maurice LaMarche played the CP30 character whose entire shtick was "lol he's gay."

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Drawn Together had one good episode at least. Xandir wanted to come out to his family so he had the rest of the house roleplay as his family members and they all got weirdly locked into it and started acting out this elaborate domestic melodrama.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

The only thing I remember about Drawn Together was the character voiced by Adam Carolla that was the epitome of “brutally honest just telling’ like it is brah” (meaning extremely racist and misogynistic)

This was extremely prescient

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Maxwell Lord posted:

Drawn Together had one good episode at least. Xandir wanted to come out to his family so he had the rest of the house roleplay as his family members and they all got weirdly locked into it and started acting out this elaborate domestic melodrama.
The end of that episode was pretty much my coming out experience

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah Drawn Together actually did have some chops that made it work in spite of itself. I would never call it good, it definitely pissed away its potential more often than not, but the people making it were pros and that couldn't help but show sometimes.

I don't know why it never clicked that Stephen Root and Maurice LaMarche were on Tripping the Rift, all I remember about that show was the sex slave doing a 7 of 9 parody like half a decade after that joke would have been remotely relevant to nerd culture.

Chuck Austen's comics are just as terminally horny and vile. Among other things:

• He had the Juggernaut and She-Hulk gently caress
  • He had Angel (one of the original X-Men whose age floats between late 20s to mid 30s) gently caress Husk (a new character explicitly said to be 16) in front of her parents. Really.
  • He wrote Action Comics where he had a Kryptonian (same type of alien as Superman, same powers) choose a groupie from a crowd and violently gently caress her to death in a tent. Really.

This isn't touching the other weird poo poo he did like a story where Nightcrawler's father is confirmed to be one of the many "not really but come on" versions of Satan that Marvel has running around.

In a franchise that teems with off-beat, idiotic, hopelessly adolescent creative decisions like a bedbug infestation it says a lot that 20 years on he's still considered one of the absolute worst writers that franchise ever saw. Bottom 3 for nearly everyone who bothers to research it. Easily.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Drawn Together definitely went for the shock factor over the top absurd stuff making fun of everyone and everything but it was all so rapid fire that you would probably find at least something funny a few times per episode.

Tripping the Rift was absolute garbage in all ways

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

For some reason I have a huge soft spot for the character Judge Fudge from Drawn Together. He was their judge for any court scenes but he kept getting distracted because in his own words "I'm too busy being delicious."

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember watching what must have been the pilot to Tripping the Rift on some macromedia site or something a while before it got picked up by SciFi Channel. I don't remember anything about it other than it looked like poo poo but watching something like that on a computer was a novelty in those days.

SciFi really hosed up by not picking up The Amazing Screw On Head.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Holy poo poo they really did. That show would have gotten them ahead of trends by a good 10 years. But it's so expensive and weird why do animation when we could do cgi and it's got the edgy humor like the adult swim the kids are into

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Photo-realistic Beaver was an amazing character and I loved that thing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Detective No. 27 posted:

:emptyquote:

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Amazing Screw-On Head is the finest work Mike Mignola ever did.

Pachylad
Jul 12, 2017

The most surprising thing I found out about Chuck Austen in all this is how he became 'Support Producer' for the She-Ra series of all things

I guess he's good now?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Would bet cash he learned that the best thing is to stfu, network, and cash easy royalties from the back line. Can't imagine what else a "Support Producer" could do.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mind the walrus posted:

Can't imagine what else a "Support Producer" could do.

You could read the linked article where he gives several examples...

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Pachylad posted:

The most surprising thing I found out about Chuck Austen in all this is how he became 'Support Producer' for the She-Ra series of all things

I guess he's good now?
That's the only place I've seen his name before so I'm very confused and shocked about his colorful career in comics.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Toshimo posted:

You could read the linked article where he gives several examples...

I skimmed the article and his assessment doesn't seem wrong

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

rodbeard posted:

I skimmed the article and his assessment doesn't seem wrong

Yeah his job seems to be he’s in the room while the various departments do their jobs.

And takes a lot of notes.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
So the missus and I downloaded the hilariously bad 1997 The Shining mini series and for the first four hours we rotated between bored and histarical giggling fits. Good times.

Then the last episode happens and there's this 180 tonal shift. I know the book and the Kubrick version have a guy trying to kill his wife and child and all, but this thing spends SO MUCH TIME on slowly beating and verbally abusing Wendy. It just drags and drags over and over. There's nothing horror /scary about it -tonally it feels almost like a revenge fantasy, like we're supposed to be getting a kick out of watching a man beat and scream at his wife as she cowers and begs. Like the show was savoring it.

It went from funny bad to downright vile very quick.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd recommend Rose Red. It was written for TV by Steven King and even has a cute cameo. The gimmick is it's a stable of characters with different types of psychic ability, including his trademark "Magical Autistic Person with Super-strong powers" which has aged poorly, but some of the characters are vile in a way that kind of owns, like Emery. He sees the past (post-cognitive, sees events or people he wasn't present for), so basically he sees all the ghosts and poo poo, but has long since stopped caring because he needs the money from the expedition to the titular house. His recurring line early on is "Save the warnings for someone who's not broke... OK?" Because he's aware of his power he can also will the visions away with a chant where he closes his eyes and loudly declares that "You aren't THERE! You don't really exist" until the vision ends. He's a terrible person and a total bitch, but he has moments of fun.

Also Joyce Reardon who put the whole things together is the craziest of all of them, no supernatural powers of her own but she is amazingly played by Nancy Travis (from So I Married and Axe Murderer among other things) who is really good at playing entertainingly crazy, like in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Dwu-ZZyPo

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd recommend Rose Red. It was written for TV by Steven King and even has a cute cameo. The gimmick is it's a stable of characters with different types of psychic ability, including his trademark "Magical Autistic Person with Super-strong powers" which has aged poorly, but some of the characters are vile in a way that kind of owns, like Emery. He sees the past (post-cognitive, sees events or people he wasn't present for), so basically he sees all the ghosts and poo poo, but has long since stopped caring because he needs the money from the expedition to the titular house. His recurring line early on is "Save the warnings for someone who's not broke... OK?" Because he's aware of his power he can also will the visions away with a chant where he closes his eyes and loudly declares that "You aren't THERE! You don't really exist" until the vision ends. He's a terrible person and a total bitch, but he has moments of fun.

Also Joyce Reardon who put the whole things together is the craziest of all of them, no supernatural powers of her own but she is amazingly played by Nancy Travis (from So I Married and Axe Murderer among other things) who is really good at playing entertainingly crazy, like in this clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92Dwu-ZZyPo

:yeah:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I live for Stephen King cameos

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
The rest of the series is eh (except for Flu Buddy) but the opening scene for the old The Stand miniseries is the best.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Plethora posted:

So the missus and I downloaded the hilariously bad 1997 The Shining mini series and for the first four hours we rotated between bored and histarical giggling fits. Good times.

I’ve never seen this but I know that Jack was played by the dude from Wings and my brain cannot even comprehend the scenes you are describing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

letthereberock posted:

I’ve never seen this but I know that Jack was played by the dude from Wings and my brain cannot even comprehend the scenes you are describing.

I've also never seen it, but I heard that they show a blue floating ghost vision of Tony instead of Danny talking with his finger, and my mind cannot wrap itself around a blue ghost.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Not even a blue ghost just a floating doofus

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I had a quick question, has anyone watched Cape Fear (the film not the Simpsons episode)? Because I ended up finding out about it just today and gently caress me does it sound like it has not aged well.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Which one?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

The Scorsese one.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

FreudianSlippers posted:

Not even a blue ghost just a floating doofus

This is how it is in the novel IIRC. I love reading King but it's one of those things where you sometimes don't realize how goofy somethign is until it's translated literally to film that way. The better quality movies made of his works (Green Mile, the Kubrick Shining) take a lot more liberties and don't follow the book exactly.

Aged poorly: The CGI in the Langoliers
Aged well: My undying love for the film

I watched this with my parents when I was like, 8 or 9 and it was on TV, and as with other things in this thread, it's like, not actually a very good film. But so help me god I love this dumb movie and every time I watch it even though I laugh at the goofy parts, I feel like a kid again, and the actors are trying so drat hard to play everything straight when it's really, really hard to do that. Like if you get a chance, please just watch it for how sincerely everyone approaches their role, yet how unclear the direction must have been, how everything kind of has that endearing local theater performance feeling to it.

A few summers ago I got to read the novel and was overjoyed to find that it literally reads like a script of the movie, with a few changes made to keep the film from being even longer than it was (two tapes when you rented the VHS). I had such a giddy goonish glee over how much of the book I already knew by heart and could pretty much recite as I read it because I'm talking down to silly little throw away lines, there was so much commonality.

Gentlemen............

The cola...............

Is very, very, good today! :cheers:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I remember taping and watching the shining and storm of the century mini series back in 6th or seventh grade or whatever. Don't remember much about the shining but I remember I had one of those gigantic jawbreakers all the kids were into, that got super gross and everyone carried around in plastic bags, that I licked while watching.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ambitious Spider posted:

I remember taping and watching the shining and storm of the century mini series back in 6th or seventh grade or whatever. Don't remember much about the shining but I remember I had one of those gigantic jawbreakers all the kids were into, that got super gross and everyone carried around in plastic bags, that I licked while watching.

I think everyone has fond memories of spending an entire summer licking one of those jawbreakers

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Josef bugman posted:

I had a quick question, has anyone watched Cape Fear (the film not the Simpsons episode)? Because I ended up finding out about it just today and gently caress me does it sound like it has not aged well.

My wife was watching it not too long back. I didn't join her, but what little I saw didn't look great. DeNiro's fake tattoos looked fake and bad, and someone's comment about not knowing whether to look at him or read him was corny as gently caress. Dude has like 8 tattoos. Wooooo so many wow some kind of real freak am I right. Even for the 90s I don't think that's really considered very inky.

Anyway, she wondered afterwards why exactly it was considered a good movie. The Simpsons episode is much better, and also shorter and a much better use of anyone's time.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

sweeperbravo posted:

This is how it is in the novel IIRC. I love reading King but it's one of those things where you sometimes don't realize how goofy somethign is until it's translated literally to film that way. The better quality movies made of his works (Green Mile, the Kubrick Shining) take a lot more liberties and don't follow the book exactly.

Aged poorly: The CGI in the Langoliers
Aged well: My undying love for the film

I watched this with my parents when I was like, 8 or 9 and it was on TV, and as with other things in this thread, it's like, not actually a very good film. But so help me god I love this dumb movie and every time I watch it even though I laugh at the goofy parts, I feel like a kid again, and the actors are trying so drat hard to play everything straight when it's really, really hard to do that. Like if you get a chance, please just watch it for how sincerely everyone approaches their role, yet how unclear the direction must have been, how everything kind of has that endearing local theater performance feeling to it.

A few summers ago I got to read the novel and was overjoyed to find that it literally reads like a script of the movie, with a few changes made to keep the film from being even longer than it was (two tapes when you rented the VHS). I had such a giddy goonish glee over how much of the book I already knew by heart and could pretty much recite as I read it because I'm talking down to silly little throw away lines, there was so much commonality.

Gentlemen............

The cola...............

Is very, very, good today! :cheers:

It's up on YouTube and it has aged incredibly well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LodnGRjWqp0

I swear I end up watching this poo poo once a year.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
My favourite King adaptation that isn't one of the Obvious Good Ones is the movie of Needful Things. It knows exactly what it's doing.

My ironic favourite is the adaptation of the short story 'Crouch End' that was made for TV way back. It's very clearly filmed in a sunny suburb in America or Australia or somewhere else as far from Crouch End as can be imagined.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Josef bugman posted:

Part of the core conceit is that Nick Nolte's lawyer character got DeNiro's rapist character convicted by burying evidence that the 16 year-old girl he raped was promiscuous, which would have earned him a lighter sentence or even acquittal.

I mean I could go on about the immensely skeevy ways the movie frames a barely legal Juliette Lewis who plays a 16 year-old, but like... that's enough right? I don't need to go on?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The first bit hasn't aged poorly because rapists still get off using the sexual history of their victims.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

Part of the core conceit is that Nick Nolte's lawyer character got DeNiro's rapist character convicted by burying evidence that the 16 year-old girl he raped was promiscuous, which would have earned him a lighter sentence or even acquittal.

I mean I could go on about the immensely skeevy ways the movie frames a barely legal Juliette Lewis who plays a 16 year-old, but like... that's enough right? I don't need to go on?

YEP that was what first loving threw me about the entire thing.

I think the Simpsons version is better.