Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

azflyboy posted:

All of the airplanes had the hardware to decide if the two angle of attack sensors didn't agree with each other (and probably the software, but it was disabled), but unless the airline spent extra money, the airplane wouldn't warn the crew that the sensors weren't agreeing.

If I’m not mistaken, there was also an issue with the enable/disable option in the system and it turned out that it didn’t work even for the airlines who paid extra for previously standard (and now required by law because of this bullshit) functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Remember the first time 737s were dropping out of the sky due to departures from old safety standards Boeing lobbied the FAA for and Boeing covered it up?

No one went to jail over all those deaths either.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The fact there's people out there who think business has your best interests at heart and will allow you to access stuff for cheap instead of already factoring in the cost and simply charging you more for it is almost cute.

https://twitter.com/matvelloso/status/1383959697728806921?s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Which motorcycle was it that wouldn't start if it was at 0°C because the zero was an invalid return for its temperature sensor to clear it to start?

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Memento posted:

Which motorcycle was it that wouldn't start if it was at 0°C because the zero was an invalid return for its temperature sensor to clear it to start?

KTM I believe.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

madeintaipei posted:

I've exclusively seen unlocked SIM cards in the handheld computers I use at work. Those HHCs are mostly pieces of junk so it's important to be able to swap the SIM and memory card to a slightly less junky one in an emergency. Can't really do any work without the computer.

What happens if your little machine fails? Can you be sent a new one and just swap the SIM out?

I'm pretty sure they just send the whole kit and kaboodle - after all, diabetics tend to be older, and thus not exactly technology-literate. The battery and SIM were already installed when I got it (isn't that a no-no for removable Li-Ion batteries?), it was literally turn it on and start using it, it just asked for my name. When I registered it online, I was just asked for the serial # of the meter itself (way too short to be an IMEI). I'm sure the SIM card is associated with the meter somewhere.

It's been so long since I had a phone with a removable battery that I didn't even think to try popping the back off. Since I managed to get it into fastboot, I wonder what would happen if I did a factory reset.. ADB didn't recognize it even in fastboot though (PC didn't either, it just showed "Android" with no drivers installed).

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The fact there's people out there who think business has your best interests at heart and will allow you to access stuff for cheap instead of already factoring in the cost and simply charging you more for it is almost cute.

https://twitter.com/matvelloso/status/1383959697728806921?s=19

Jesus Christ. I'm gonna drive my 2015 Scion until I can't drive anymore.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Memento posted:

Aprilia. There is/was a goon who had/has one with that very issue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

*pokes head out door* drat it's cold, must be null out there

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

That's the same reason that roborace car decided to bury itself into the pit wall as soon as it started off. There was an error outside of what the car was actually looking for so just ignored it, turns out it was a fairly important error to just ignore it hence the car kissing the wall.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

StormDrain posted:

I miss my Palm Pre still. Excellent little phone.

There's a remake which is TINY.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

VideoGameVet posted:

There's a remake which is TINY.

Didn't you need to have another phone to get that phone?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Uthor posted:

Didn't you need to have another phone to get that phone?

No, it's an android phone. Let me find a pic.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

azflyboy posted:

Yep.

All of the airplanes had the hardware to decide if the two angle of attack sensors didn't agree with each other (and probably the software, but it was disabled), but unless the airline spent extra money, the airplane wouldn't warn the crew that the sensors weren't agreeing.

Several people talking/writing about this have said the only way to make it work properly was not only to enable the extra one but to also have a third as a tie breaker. Otherwise the second two of them disagree there's nothing the software can do other than make angry noises and hope the pilots recognize the plane has been automagically put into a mode where different inputs are expected and the flight controls will be reacting differently. This is known to not end well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

My friend's a pilot and he was saying it is drilled into you to rely on your instrumentation because as dumb as you think it is, it's real easy to get disoriented and not be flying how you think you are. "The auditory system, vestibular system (within the inner ear), and proprioceptive system (sensory receptors located in the skin, muscles, tendons and joints) collectively work to co-ordinate movement with balance, and can also create illusory nonvisual sensations, resulting in spatial disorientation in the absence of strong visual cues." So you think you're flying flat but are banked over and such.

...the problem is when the instrumentation is wrong.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

It's also a thing in scuba diving, because of the feeling of weightlessness it's very easy to become disoriented and lose track of what direction is "up", especially in conditions where the water isn't clear. Luckily underwater you can just blow some bubbles to reorient yourself.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

this picture is messing with my head because i've been so conditioned to how big phones are these days that the size difference looks like andre the giant holding a beer can to me.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

kimcicle posted:

this picture is messing with my head because i've been so conditioned to how big phones are these days that the size difference looks like andre the giant holding a beer can to me.

To be fair, I wear XXL cycling gloves, because my hands are a bit oversized.

I was considering one of these Palm phones as a “bike computer” with the Strava app.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

VideoGameVet posted:

What is this lovely thing? (I love small phones).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My friend's a pilot and he was saying it is drilled into you to rely on your instrumentation because as dumb as you think it is, it's real easy to get disoriented and not be flying how you think you are. "The auditory system, vestibular system (within the inner ear), and proprioceptive system (sensory receptors located in the skin, muscles, tendons and joints) collectively work to co-ordinate movement with balance, and can also create illusory nonvisual sensations, resulting in spatial disorientation in the absence of strong visual cues." So you think you're flying flat but are banked over and such.

yep

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Air_Flight_3591

quote:

The NTSB determines that the probable cause of this accident was the inappropriate response by the first officer as the pilot flying to an inadvertent activation of the go-around mode, which led to his spatial disorientation and nose-down control inputs that placed the airplane in a steep descent from which the crew did not recover. Contributing to the accident was the captain's failure to adequately monitor the airplane's flightpath and assume positive control of the airplane to effectively intervene. Also contributing were systemic deficiencies in the aviation industry's selection and performance measurement practices, which failed to address the first officer's aptitude-related deficiencies and maladaptive stress response. Also contributing to the accident was the Federal Aviation Administration's failure to implement the pilot records database in a sufficiently robust and timely manner.[12]

The plane was flying in the clouds with no visual references to the horizon. The pilot bumped the throttle by accident, putting the plane in TOGA (max thrust) mode, and with no external references his brain interpreted the acceleration as the plane pitching up. Thinking the plane was going to stall, he instinctively forced the nose down. That caused the plane to accelerate even more, strengthening the illusion. He kept pushing forwards until the plane hit the ground. All the instruments were operating normally, and if he'd managed to ignore his brain and focus on the attitude indicator, everything would have been fine.

When I was learning to fly, the most dramatic example was getting "the leans." Put on the hood and do a bunch of steady turns in one direction, and after a minute or so your brain -- having no visual horizon to calibrate itself -- shrugs and goes "guess this inner-ear information is normal" and you stop feeling the turn. Then when you straighten up, for another few minutes you have the intense feeling that the plane is still banked over, even though you're staring at the attitude indicator saying you're flying level. It takes serious concentration to ignore the sensation and trust what the gauges are saying.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Apr 19, 2021

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

MrOnBicycle posted:

What is this lovely thing? (I love small phones).

https://palm.com/

The new 'Palm' phone, which has nothing to do with the old Palm company and is just someone paying for the license to use the name. It's also a pretty awful phone by all accounts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

ishikabibble posted:

The new 'Palm' phone, which has nothing to do with the old Palm company and is just someone paying for the license to use the name. It's also a pretty awful phone by all accounts.

Ah, the PLAM.

Dunno why my brain insists on reading it that way.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Looks like a great idea, I hate big phones. Whats wrong with it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
All I want is my physical keyboard on my phone again, but on a phone that actually has decent firmware.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

I think subscriptions are the Holy Grail of money for car manufacturers, letting them tap into the used car market and suck money from that too, continue to profit on a car 10+ years after they sell it.

And if they overplay their hand, which they will, it's going to be incredibly unpopular with consumers, and probably legislated out of existence a'la the Magnuson Moss act.

Subscriptions are the Holy Grail for *everything* , and I hate it.
The assholes who bought Sketchup made it sub only, and trumpeted in the email announcing that how it would be so much better, "because it's always up to date with the latest features." Some people don't *want* all those features, you money grubbing fucks. They just want to own a piece of software and not have to worry about it suddenly not working because they didn't want to spend more money.

The subscription model is fine for Enterprise, but it sucks mightily for consumers. Even Microsoft realized that and will be making Office 2021 easier to buy for individuals.

kastein posted:

I will literally hack that poo poo and release the unlock tricks via darknet site with a voluntary buttcoin donation link if more manufacturers pick this bullshit idea up

Goddamn scam artists

You would be doing God's work, choom.
gently caress the corpos.
(Cyberpunk 2077 references, if you don't game)

Motronic posted:

Several people talking/writing about this have said the only way to make it work properly was not only to enable the extra one but to also have a third as a tie breaker. Otherwise the second two of them disagree there's nothing the software can do other than make angry noises and hope the pilots recognize the plane has been automagically put into a mode where different inputs are expected and the flight controls will be reacting differently. This is known to not end well. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_France_Flight_447

What the gently caress? Even the incredibly cheap auto industry knows you have to have three sensors for a tiebreaker on drive-by wire.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

...the problem is when the instrumentation is wrong.

Which is why you always have a panel of analog backup of critical instruments. Jesus, it's not that hard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Darchangel posted:

What the gently caress? Even the incredibly cheap auto industry knows you have to have three sensors for a tiebreaker on drive-by wire.

Where is the third? I know DBW pedals have two outputs but I can't think of the third

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Where is the third? I know DBW pedals have two outputs but I can't think of the third

Probably ‘null’. If there’s disagreement the car stops. Not an option with aircraft.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah I'm fairly certain on cars the DBW just limits you to idle if there's a mismatch.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Looks like a great idea, I hate big phones. Whats wrong with it?

AFAIK you can't actually buy it by itself, it's sold through Verizon as a weird second phone that shares your main number. And it's insanely overpriced, when you can buy a Unihertz Jelly 2 for a hundred bucks less unlocked, https://www.unihertz.com/jelly-2.html that outperforms it in just about every way, including on battery life, while still being absolutely tiny.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

ishikabibble posted:

AFAIK you can't actually buy it by itself, it's sold through Verizon as a weird second phone that shares your main number. And it's insanely overpriced, when you can buy a Unihertz Jelly 2 for a hundred bucks less unlocked, https://www.unihertz.com/jelly-2.html that outperforms it in just about every way, including on battery life, while still being absolutely tiny.

Can't buy the PALM here in Sweden, but it's a nice idea to have a small phone. The Jelly wasn't very nice looking. I'm happy with my MiA2 lite. I got it for sub $200 new and it's rugged as hell. Since it's so cheap I don't have to walk around with anxiety over potentially dropping a $2000 phone, and that is the best feeling.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah my phone is a Chinese android thing which cost £120. I've had it 2 years now and the thing's honestly fine and like yourself I don't have to worry about it.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

madeintaipei posted:

I've exclusively seen unlocked SIM cards in the handheld computers I use at work. Those HHCs are mostly pieces of junk so it's important to be able to swap the SIM and memory card to a slightly less junky one in an emergency. Can't really do any work without the computer.

What happens if your little machine fails? Can you be sent a new one and just swap the SIM out?

Looks like they noticed, I got an angry voicemail earlier. Voice to text isn't working so well even with a generic American accent, but you get the jist.

e: just noticed the meter wasn't connecting anymore. had to call and tell them I was a stupid geek and was just curious what network it used... :downsgun: it came back online a a few minutes after hanging up.
e2: and went back offline. talked to them again, they might have to send a new meter. :cripes: they can't send just the SIM... apparently this is a first for them. They're trying to get the SIM reactivated.
e3: meter is now a brick, just keeps popping up "internet connection required" no matter what I do, even just trying to power the loving thing off gets that overlay that can't be dismissed. Wifi is disabled in the firmware. I can pop my phone's SIM card in and it'll work for about 2 minutes before it bricks itself again. Pretty loving unacceptable for what's considered a life safety device. gently caress Biotel and Onduo, gonna see what it takes to get a decent meter and strips covered instead of the trashy store brand poo poo they keep trying to force on me (my insurance has a company-administered RX plan, since they kinda own a chain of pharmacies.. good luck to me I guess).

e4: fuggit, submitted a complaint to the FDA. It'd be one thing if they didn't completely brick the fucker, but they completely bricked the fucker to the point that it just keeps popping up "Internet connection required" even on the power off popup.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Apr 20, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

“So just wanted to get in contact with you to just suck...”

:pervert:

Man, you are really getting a service with this thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No kidding. He even sounds like a <same name> I work with.

Who is very, very gay. And VERY cute. And even single! :quagmire:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 20, 2021

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

Darchangel posted:

Which is why you always have a panel of analog backup of critical instruments. Jesus, it's not that hard.

This isn't always true any more. It's worth noting that analog instruments can fail too and modern displays can be very reliable, although they're generally susceptible to different failure modes. I'm a little leery of it, but hopefully people did their due diligence in testing

Here's a PA-46-600TP with full glass cockpit. You can change which displays are looking at what so even if one of the displays fails, you can pull relevant information up on another display and keep flying. If the brains of the flight computer die you're out of luck, but it's not supposed to do that. I'm not familiar with the avionics on it, it may have redundant arguing computers, so it may be more resilient than I'm giving it credit for.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 20, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

You can see the redundant instruments over on the extreme left. They’re digital, but completely separate from the PFDs in input, processing, and have an independent battery backup.

Turns out that digital processing and displays are waaaaaaaay more reliable and cheaper to maintain over the long term than analog instruments.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

STR posted:

Looks like they noticed, I got an angry voicemail earlier. Voice to text isn't working so well even with a generic American accent, but you get the jist.

e: just noticed the meter wasn't connecting anymore. had to call and tell them I was a stupid geek and was just curious what network it used... :downsgun: it came back online a a few minutes after hanging up.
e2: and went back offline. talked to them again, they might have to send a new meter. :cripes: they can't send just the SIM... apparently this is a first for them. They're trying to get the SIM reactivated.
e3: meter is now a brick, just keeps popping up "internet connection required" no matter what I do, even just trying to power the loving thing off gets that overlay that can't be dismissed. Wifi is disabled in the firmware. I can pop my phone's SIM card in and it'll work for about 2 minutes before it bricks itself again. Pretty loving unacceptable for what's considered a life safety device. gently caress Biotel and Onduo, gonna see what it takes to get a decent meter and strips covered instead of the trashy store brand poo poo they keep trying to force on me (my insurance has a company-administered RX plan, since they kinda own a chain of pharmacies.. good luck to me I guess).

e4: fuggit, submitted a complaint to the FDA. It'd be one thing if they didn't completely brick the fucker, but they completely bricked the fucker to the point that it just keeps popping up "Internet connection required" even on the power off popup.

I'm glad you found a new way to break something, as weird as that sounds.

The next time we might want to make sure you have a back up on hand!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

MrYenko posted:

Turns out that digital processing and displays are waaaaaaaay more reliable and cheaper to maintain over the long term than analog instruments.

Nothing will beat the reliability and longevity of engine driven vacuum pumps. Just don't forget to rebuild them every 200 hours

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Here's a PA-46-600TP with full glass cockpit. You can change which displays are looking at what so even if one of the displays fails, you can pull relevant information up on another display and keep flying. If the brains of the flight computer die you're out of luck, but it's not supposed to do that. I'm not familiar with the avionics on it, it may have redundant arguing computers, so it may be more resilient than I'm giving it credit for.

The solid-state avionics computer in that plane, which takes a couple of air pressure inputs but does pretty much everything else internally with rugged, shielded electronics, is far more reliable than mechanical gyros and aneroids.

Like: when was the last time you heard of a car's ECU just crapping out? Not the infotainment center, but the actual control unit that handles the engine management? This is the same deal but built to an aviation standard.

It's true that the screens are more delicate than a glass-faced mechanical dial. But everything in the background is much better.

MrYenko posted:

You can see the redundant instruments over on the extreme left. They’re digital, but completely separate from the PFDs in input, processing, and have an independent battery backup.

They do still use the same pitot and static lines though, right? Unless it's a big plane with multiple ports I guess

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Like: when was the last time you heard of a car's ECU just crapping out?

Depends on how bad the mechanic is a diagnostics.

(Now that we're pas the bad run of caps unless you can see something burnt or see water ingress yeah.....it's not the ECU)