Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

It's a shame that scheduling midweek league games for the same weeks this trash is supposed to be played would punish non-breakaway clubs as well

There is no course of action that wouldn't hurt non-breakaway clubs, so might as well rip off the bandaid and completely disregard whatever superleague will be doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vando posted:

The goal is very clearly to build a US-style system where every involved franchise is worth billions and can only lose value by the entire league going under, individual performance has no impact.
Don’t the athletes in Europe have much stronger labor protections and choice over where they play than in the US? If players don’t like it or are in jeopardy getting banned from World Cup play, won’t these super league teams start hemorrhaging talent?

A Buffer Gay Dude
Oct 25, 2020

Alexeythegreat posted:

There is no course of action that wouldn't hurt non-breakaway clubs, so might as well rip off the bandaid and completely disregard whatever superleague will be doing

Ding ding

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

bawfuls posted:

Don’t the athletes in Europe have much stronger labor protections and choice over where they play than in the US? If players don’t like it or are in jeopardy getting banned from World Cup play, won’t these super league teams start hemorrhaging talent?

Only if you're presupposing that there won't be a massive disparity in wages and prestige.

military cervix fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Apr 19, 2021

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CyberPingu posted:

Its to force the Players Union to take action likely

Watch the super league teams create a rival international tournament where they force the super league players to appear for shadow national teams and leach the money out of it.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

Watch the super league teams create a rival international tournament where they force the super league players to appear for shadow national teams and leach the money out of it.

so we're five minutes away from becoming international cricket.

cool

cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

blue footed boobie posted:

who would try a dumbass idea like that

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

military cervix posted:

Only if you're presupposing that there won't be an massive disparity in wages and prestige.
The thing about American pro sports league structures is they’re pretty good at suppressing wage growth relative to revenues over time because the owners all act in concert.

As far as prestige, that’s still up in the air of FIFA bans superleague players from World Cup participation no? Or do most of the best players in the world not care about the World Cup now?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Does any of this have any effect on Olympic football?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

bawfuls posted:

The thing about American pro sports league structures is they’re pretty good at suppressing wage growth relative to revenues over time because the owners all act in concert.

As far as prestige, that’s still up in the air of FIFA bans superleague players from World Cup participation no? Or do most of the best players in the world not care about the World Cup now?

Knowing FIFA, a week from now they'll probably do the old switcheroo and get on board with the super league and then a month from now they'll announce that, totally unrelated, Qatar 2022 will now be known as the JP Morgan FIFA World Cup

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

Now is the opportunity to find that out.
The US closed rich leagues are successful in no small part thanks to dominating the sport, either through being the best at the sport (see American basketball players and Canadian hockey players) or through being the only ones who play the sport at all (American football, baseball)
Now compare those to the MLS
The question that's up in the air is whether the superleague will suck up all the best talent or not. This is very hard to predict right now

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
So this is basically Very Rich People screwing traditions over to become Even More Rich. Will this be like the Nation's League, everyone against it, but still watching it when it's your team playing?

Disney+ proudly presents the ESL game, for an extra cost of just $5. Can't wait.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

vyelkin posted:

Knowing FIFA, a week from now they'll probably do the old switcheroo and get on board with the super league and then a month from now they'll announce that, totally unrelated, Qatar 2022 will now be known as the JP Morgan FIFA World Cup

Boris has stated that he will do everything he can to stop this. Which is nothing at all. Then will get a massive bung so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't even know what sport other than the wall game he follows.

Punc posted:

So this is basically Very Rich People screwing traditions over to become Even More Rich. Will this be like the Nation's League, everyone against it, but still watching it when it's your team playing?

Disney+ proudly presents the ESL game, for an extra cost of just $5. Can't wait.

They tried that in the EPL over the last year and it crashed and burned.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Collateral posted:

Boris has stated that he will do everything he can to stop this. Which is nothing at all. Then will get a massive bung so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't even know what sport other than the wall game he follows.

Boris's favourite sport is hunting the poor

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

It sucks, a lot, but everyone is still going to watch this.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

How long before this superleague announces a salary cap? One year in?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Punc posted:

No, the nations league is cool and good.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

things to come from the superleague in the coming years

salary caps
player drafts
player trading
a pisspoor attempt of a womens league
america offshoot world series
playoffs
owners/teams threatening to leave city without stadium funding

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Diva Cupcake posted:

It sucks, a lot, but everyone is still going to watch this.

I'm not, op

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

How long before this superleague announces a salary cap? One year in?

There's no need for one. Individual salaries will be kept in check because the clubs aren't in genuine competition with each other, they just need to maintain the value of the overall brand. A salary cap might lead the most marketable sports entertainers to play in other competitions, which would be terrible for all Super franchises.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Punc posted:

Nation's league is good, actually. I like that friendlies are less pointless, have relevant opponents, and that the system can't be easily gamed for rating points. It's still bullshit that they changed the structure to avoid relegating Germany though.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Lmao

https://twitter.com/samwallacetel/status/1383907843082907658?s=21

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I like the idea that they (the english clubs anyway) get kicked out of the EPL and EFL if they go ahead with this.

I don't see how they would be a good thing for barca and real as they have their own TV rights for La Liga, if they got kicked from La Liga what would they have to sell?

These are all old storied clubs but if they are gone other teams will take their places. Like didn't Man U supporters create (or take over) a club when the Glazers took over, expecting that this very event was likely. Same for Wimbledon and MK Dons.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Don't see the point of yet another league in which arsenal gets owned by better teams every week

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I saw a hilarious suggestion that supposedly the cities that these teams get their names from could choose to sue them over using the city name without a trademark or some dumb bullshit like that, and in the least likely but definitely funniest outcome they could force the teams to rename themselves, giving us literal PES names like Merseyside Reds instead of Liverpool FC.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If they can't legally kick the 6 clubs out of the PL just relegate the other 14 and treat the EFL Championship as the true top division. Let the breakways have their domestic cake.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Collateral posted:

I like the idea that they (the english clubs anyway) get kicked out of the EPL and EFL if they go ahead with this.

I don't see how they would be a good thing for barca and real as they have their own TV rights for La Liga, if they got kicked from La Liga what would they have to sell?

These are all old storied clubs but if they are gone other teams will take their places. Like didn't Man U supporters create (or take over) a club when the Glazers took over, expecting that this very event was likely. Same for Wimbledon and MK Dons.

They did indeed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F.C._United_of_Manchester

So if this gets branded as a real outlaw league and the English teams are kicked out of the FA, what happens to all the player contracts? Are they voided making them all free agents?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

sassassin posted:

There's no need for one. Individual salaries will be kept in check because the clubs aren't in genuine competition with each other, they just need to maintain the value of the overall brand. A salary cap might lead the most marketable sports entertainers to play in other competitions, which would be terrible for all Super franchises.
Any salary suppression could lead to the best players leaving the league, whether it's codified in a salary cap or not. If there's one thing I've learned from a lifetime following American sports, it's to never underestimate the willingness of billionaire owners to undermine their own product in the name of squeezing more blood from the stone.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

skaboomizzy posted:

So if this gets branded as a real outlaw league and the English teams are kicked out of the FA, what happens to all the player contracts? Are they voided making them all free agents?

HELL YES EXPANSION/FANTASY DRAFT TIME

with the first pick in the 2021 European Super League Draft: the London Gunners select Forward, Lionel Messi

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

skaboomizzy posted:

Player registrations are shaky legal ground that no major club will want to challenge too intently, I would think. But if we're burning it all down anyway let's dig into employment law.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Player registrations are shaky legal ground that no major club will want to challenge too intently, I would think. But if we're burning it all down anyway let's dig into employment law.

The way to psychologically reunite Brexit Britain and the EU is by joining together in a concerted effort to consistently apply labour law to footballer contracts, motivated out of pure spite towards the Super League.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Bayern Munich statement:

quote:

FC Bayern did not participate in the planning of a Super League....FC Bayern welcomes the reforms of the Champions League because we believe that they are the right step for the development of European football. The modified preliminary round will contribute to more tension and emotionality in the competition.

I don’t think the Super League will solve the European clubs’ financial problems caused by coronavirus. Rather, all clubs in Europe should work in solidarity to ensure that the cost structure, in particular the players’ salaries and the fees for agents, are adjusted to income in order to make European football more rational.

Translation from German: you fools, you utter fools, we were about to get more money out of the Champions League and use Covid as a chance to crack down on player salaries and agent fees, and now you've ruined that.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

For people wondering why this would double the CL for broadcast rights you have to remember that they’re planning each team to play more than twice as many games than the CL does each season, 18 plus quarterfinals onward vs 6 plus top 16

Which is also a big hint that they’re looking at this with half a mind to have this as the only football they play each season

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 19, 2021

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

sassassin posted:

If they can't legally kick the 6 clubs out of the PL just relegate the other 14 and treat the EFL Championship as the true top division. Let the breakways have their domestic cake.

it would be amazing if this garbage destroyed the premier league with it

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

For people wondering why this would double the CL for broadcast rights you have to remember that they’re planning each team to play more than twice as many games than the CL does each season, 18 plus quarterfinals onward vs 6 plus top 16

Which is also a big hint that they’re looking at this with half a mind to have this as the only football they play each season

Kroenke at least also wants the quarterfinals etc. to be played using a US-style playoffs system which would mean more games than the usual two leg CL knockouts.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I can’t wait for a 7 game series of football matches played in two weeks time.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Bayern Munich statement:

Translation from German: you fools, you utter fools, we were about to get more money out of the Champions League and use Covid as a chance to crack down on player salaries and agent fees, and now you've ruined that.

The German teams and PSG trying to spin this is really some excellent PR work. Not only do they get on everyone's good side but now they are the undisputed and absolute rulers of what is left of the CL.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

still laughing at this

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Now is the opportunity to find that out.
The US closed rich leagues are successful in no small part thanks to dominating the sport, either through being the best at the sport (see American basketball players and Canadian hockey players) or through being the only ones who play the sport at all (American football, baseball)
Now compare those to the MLS

I’d throw baseball in the “best at the sport” category considering several other countries play it with the US, Japan, and to a lesser extent Mexico dominating the sport. It’s more of a basketball or hockey situation where there’s plenty of leagues to play in than an American football situation where you play here or nowhere.

Death to the Super League. Only small clubs like Juve or Real are threatened etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
https://twitter.com/bbcarchive/status/1384176690096590871