Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

You're forgetting the company with the longest running modern EV.

Nissan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh I knew there was somebody. I hope the Ariya does well, for Nissan's sake. I'm not sure they're competitive anywhere else. This is their first watercooled battery, right?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It is, yeah.

I don't know how the hell the 62kWh pack is still air cooled.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I was thinking something like an open-bottomed shipping container that seals to the ground then gets filled with water or foam would be a possible solution, slam down the ol' fire sarcophagus on whatever wreck then remove it later when sensors say it's stopped boiling the remains of the occupants into soup.

Being the guy who has to sling up the burning wreck for that carwash dumpster must suck though.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Charles posted:

Are Model 3s any better in fires? I know they packed some kind of material between the cells that's supposed to be pretty effective. The subject car was a Model S, I believe.

I doubt the Model 3 is better than anything else Tesla makes at surviving fires. Those things have build quality problems that would make 70s American compact cars blush.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
The Model 3 and I presume Y battery pack is packed in intumescent foam modules, unlike the older ones.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Charles posted:

Are Model 3s any better in fires? I know they packed some kind of material between the cells that's supposed to be pretty effective. The subject car was a Model S, I believe.

Tesla has had a few generations of battery packaging now, so it would depend heavily on when that S was built. The Raven S/X has a more advanced pack (based on the Model 3 pack) than an original Model S, as an example. More advanced in terms of impact and fire resistance, anyway. I think they’re still using the same battery chemistry, just in different physical form factors.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I doubt the Model 3 is better than anything else Tesla makes at surviving fires. Those things have build quality problems that would make 70s American compact cars blush.

:nallears:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
My wife and I were in the Kia Niro EV and got stuck behind a modded 2000’s Mustang (fat tires etc.) for several minutes that apparently had the catalytic converters removed. The smell was just awful. Made a 1960's classic smell good by comparison. On the descent from Del Mar heading north on the coat road I put the Kia into Sport mode and just left him far far behind. Wife gave the 1 finger salute.

I love this car.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

gwrtheyrn posted:

:rolleyes:

Apparently Toyota showed a concept car targeting sales in 2022. Better late than never I guess. Not much on details, but presumably it will be more along the lines of the id.4 than a kia ev6 gt--it is toyota after all.

https://global.toyota/en/newsroom/toyota/35083987.html

Other sites convering it have more pictures but not much more in terms of details

A Toyota BEV is like the ideal car for me - bland, reliable and solid fit/finish. Too bad this is going to be pretty late to market. That concept art looks like the newer Rav 4.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

VideoGameVet posted:

My wife and I were in the Kia Niro EV and got stuck behind a modded 2000’s Mustang (fat tires etc.) for several minutes that apparently had the catalytic converters removed. The smell was just awful. Made a 1960's classic smell good by comparison. On the descent from Del Mar heading north on the coat road I put the Kia into Sport mode and just left him far far behind. Wife gave the 1 finger salute.

I love this car.

Uh, are you trying to say the Kia Niro is fast

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

bird with big dick posted:

Uh, are you trying to say the Kia Niro is fast

SPORT MODE, my guy :whatup:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And the mustung guy didn't know they were racing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VideoGameVet posted:

I love this car.

:chloe:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I only deal with batteries on the distribution side of the fence but most sites that are managing EV batteries have thermal cameras rigged, extra headroom space in racks to keep separation, enhanced fire suppression (usually just water, but with fire suppression in racks - the goal is to try to keep temperatures down around the problem battery and a big volume of water is just fine), and a big loving metal bin outside where you're supposed to drop the battery with the thermal problem. I've seen some handheld /portable AVD devices but not integral building suppression (though things are changing quickly and it's definitely possible that some new builds have them!).

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
My wife felt car sick after our ID.3 test drive because I kept doing 100% pulls. Normal people don't give a poo poo about 0-100 times. They care about nippyness and being able to overtake decently (and not even that). It's only in the US where people are obsessed with that anything sub 5 seconds is slow as hell. In Europe the norm is ~10 seconds 0-100.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I was on vacation in my mustang and started having some kind of engine trouble and I’m just trying to limp into the next town to have it looked at and some nut in a Kia passed me and nearly ran me off the road and an old lady in the passenger seat gave me the finger what’s up with that

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VideoGameVet posted:

I love this car.

Uh, are you trying to say a 1960's classic doesn't smell good??

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

mobby_6kl posted:

And the mustung guy didn't know they were racing.

I think they did. But apparently it was all show and no go.

0-60 in the Niro is only 6.5 sec. but 0-30 is impressive.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

VideoGameVet posted:

I think they did. But apparently it was all show and no go.

0-60 in the Niro is only 6.5 sec. but 0-30 is impressive.

The base engine for the Mustang back then was the almost-boat-anchor 3.8L V6. My buddy had an 01, and I had that engine in my college beater Taurus. I wouldn't be surprised if every EV available in the US right now is faster almost anywhere in the powerband. That engine was only fast compared to NA 4-cylinders at the time and Ford's Vulcan 3L.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Godholio posted:

Uh, are you trying to say a 1960's classic doesn't smell good??

Doesn’t smell great, depends on how it’s tuned. Often they are going to fuel injection.

But even the bored out Hemi I saw a week ago (528ci) didn’t really smell bad ... dual 4bbl cairns and all.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I had that 3.8L v6 in my 91 Taurus wagon and the speedometer only went up to 85

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Popero posted:

I had that 3.8L v6 in my 91 Taurus wagon and the speedometer only went up to 85

that was the law not related to performance

but i'm probably being wooshed here

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Godholio posted:

The base engine for the Mustang back then was the almost-boat-anchor 3.8L V6. My buddy had an 01, and I had that engine in my college beater Taurus. I wouldn't be surprised if every EV available in the US right now is faster almost anywhere in the powerband. That engine was only fast compared to NA 4-cylinders at the time and Ford's Vulcan 3L.

poo poo, even a Y2K GT was 6.1 0-60 in factory trim. That's more or less equivalent to the Niro EV, and you'd have to know how to launch it. Modern cars are loving fast.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

but i'm probably being wooshed here

I should have added an exclamation point, it's not your fault. I don't even own an EV.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

There's never been any shortage of non-v8 Mustangs tarted up to look "cool" and so no performance claim about a modified Mustang can be considered obviously false.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Zorak of Michigan posted:

There's never been any shortage of non-v8 Mustangs tarted up to look "cool" and so no performance claim about a modified Mustang can be considered obviously false.

The ecoboost V6 Mustangs can be legitimately fast, but that engine sounds like a skeleton loving a full dishwasher. It’s horrible.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What’s funny is that my FJ40 has a 100mph speedometer.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

Are Model 3s any better in fires? I know they packed some kind of material between the cells that's supposed to be pretty effective.

The only model 3 fire I've read about is the extreme high speed one in Russia, so I think so.

edit: I lied, this spontaneous one too https://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/tesla-owner-whose-car-burnt-in-driveway-cant-get-answers-from-automaker

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

There was a model S crash a few years ago that threw battery cells through the windows of neighboring houses and set the bedding on fire in one. I assume the modifications to the 3 and Y would prevent things like that from happening?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There was a model S crash a few years ago that threw battery cells through the windows of neighboring houses and set the bedding on fire in one. I assume the modifications to the 3 and Y would prevent things like that from happening?

Pretty sure that was a model 3 last fall, hit stationary objects at over 100 mph. Also sent a whole wheel through a bathroom wall on a second story apartment.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Indiana_Krom posted:

Pretty sure that was a model 3 last fall, hit stationary objects at over 100 mph. Also sent a whole wheel through a bathroom wall on a second story apartment.

The article I originally saw said it was a Model S but the others say Model 3, so you are probably right.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

The Gunslinger posted:

A Toyota BEV is like the ideal car for me - bland, reliable and solid fit/finish. Too bad this is going to be pretty late to market. That concept art looks like the newer Rav 4.

Bring back the Scion name for electric cars and remake the Scion xB toaster. :colbert:

The Soul is damned close though.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Silly Burrito posted:

Bring back the Scion name for electric cars...

This is way too good an idea for Toyota to ever actually go through with.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Finger Prince posted:

poo poo, even a Y2K GT was 6.1 0-60 in factory trim. That's more or less equivalent to the Niro EV, and you'd have to know how to launch it. Modern cars are loving fast.

I haven't seen any #s for the Niro but some Youtuber took a Kona (same drivetrain, 20kg weight difference) to the track and ran a series of 14.8s which is about as fast as an automatic early 2000s Mustang GT.

BTW, I ended up canceling the ID4 I had ordered after driving a few and deciding it just wasn't the car for me. Ended up ordering a Niro with the "tech package" (the good JBL stereo, sunroof, ventilated seats, bla bla) since I just enjoyed the hell out of that car for some reason. Knowing myself I'll be out shopping for something new in 2-3 years and by then there should be a ton of new options.

Clayton Bigsby fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Apr 19, 2021

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

The Gunslinger posted:

I would have bought a BEV Prius immediately if Toyota had built one.

Four houses up the street they have the Tesla based RAV4 BEV.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Call it the "Toyota REV4".

Clayton Bigsby posted:

I haven't seen any #s for the Niro but some Youtuber took a Kona (same drivetrain, 20kg weight difference) to the track and ran a series of 14.8s which is about as fast as an automatic early 2000s Mustang GT.

BTW, I ended up canceling the ID4 I had ordered after driving a few and deciding it just wasn't the car for me. Ended up ordering a Niro with the "tech package" (the good JBL stereo, sunroof, ventilated seats, bla bla) since I just enjoyed the hell out of that car for some reason. Knowing myself I'll be out shopping for something new in 2-3 years and by then there should be a ton of new options.

The e-Niro will probably be very nice and comfortable. If it has the self parking thing, enjoy it! I used it every drat time in my Optima, and it works great. The only time it got confused was when people were parking at odd angles, and that was maybe once or twice out of all the parkings I've done. This was a thing that I slated as a gimmick at first.

I considered it but I felt that it would be too similar to my Optima, and that just feels like a bit boring to do if I'm getting a new car and all. The KIA tech works well though.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The article I originally saw said it was a Model S but the others say Model 3, so you are probably right.

Ah, definitely thinking of the same incident then because now that you mentioned it I do remember the initial article misidentified it as a S when the picture of the wreck was definitely a 3.

As for your original question of if the 3/Y pack design has changed to lower the risk of fire... I think that accident you mentioned is an interesting look at it but may not be particularly conclusive. Yes, battery cells that were hot enough or quickly became hot enough to start fires were sent though the windows on a couple houses and landed on bedding and someone's lap, on the other hand the main wreck itself did not catch on fire. So it could have been better pack engineering than S designs that prevented the main wreck from catching on fire, but it could simply be a fluke it didn't catch on fire in that particular accident. It could have been because that crash was so severe and the pack was completely torn apart instead of just crumpled so all the cells that were damaged enough to catch on fire were thrown completely free of the rest of the vehicle so they couldn't start a thermal runaway in the pack.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

MrYenko posted:

The ecoboost V6 Mustangs can be legitimately fast, but that engine sounds like a skeleton loving a full dishwasher. It’s horrible.
There is no V6 ecoboost mustang....

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ilkhan posted:

There is no V6 ecoboost mustang....

Oh poo poo it’s a 4 cylinder. :v:

The rest of my point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009