Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
Am I supposed to have hugely negative income when I'm at war? I feel like in CK2 this wasn't the case so I can't tell if you're supposed to save up a lot before declaring war or if it's because I'm not getting enough taxes/didn't build up my demense enough/are using too many MAA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I noticed this too earlier today, but the solution was to Ransom more prisoners.

Unless they had high prowess. Those guys got executed or recruited.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

jpmeyer posted:

Am I supposed to have hugely negative income when I'm at war? I feel like in CK2 this wasn't the case so I can't tell if you're supposed to save up a lot before declaring war or if it's because I'm not getting enough taxes/didn't build up my demense enough/are using too many MAA.

It's normal and fine to run a deficit, though by the time you're a century in it shouldn't be common, unless you just made the Tribal to Feudal transition.

MaA are expensive but worth every penny; if anything I would bet you are using too many levies.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

MaA are expensive but worth every penny; if anything I would bet you are using too many levies.

This is 100% the reason, and a big trap for both the AI & the player.

I've found that if I put two rally points next to each other, one of them usually only has a few hundred levies listed next to the "raise local levies" button. That's the one you hit to get just a few levies along with all of your MaA.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Not sure I'm following -- how could one be using "too many levies?" Or do you mean in the proportionate sense -- i.e. not using enough MaA? Or do you mean I shouldn't raise all my levies for every war but should fight with _just_ MaA?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Levies cost gold to keep raised, just like MAA. They'll also eventually fight at -30 advantage as they'll always be above the supply cap, and may or may not be a contributing factor to the 'aggressive war' opinion debuff like they did in ck2. After a certain point it makes sense to only raise enough to win the war, and elite squad who can sit under the supply max can sometimes do that solo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Or do you mean I shouldn't raise all my levies for every war but should fight with _just_ MaA?

That's the idea, yes. MaA punch far, far harder than an equivalent number of levies (though how much harder depends on your region and period of the game), far offsetting the cost of paying them. Meanwhile levies are easy to come by, but deplete your supplies while generally being poo poo at fighting. If you try and keep 30,000 of them in the field you will almost assuredly bankrupt yourself as well (which is why large AI empires are so idle; they put themselves into massive amounts of debt keeping huge levy armies raised to fight often inconsequential wars).

That said, in practice levies do have their place. They're great for raids, and awesome for being warm bodies that keep your besieger count above the minimum requirement while your siege engines do their thing (leaving your professionals free to roam and pick fights with any stacks that wander your way, or just sit and keep their supplies up). And if you're really worried about a sheer numbers disparity, you can bring levies along to your fights and they'll soak damage for you.

What's more, the AI severely underestimates how strong MaA are. If you have 2400 Armoured Footment, and they have 6000 levies, they will raise that army and march it directly into yours for you to stack wipe. This makes it very very easy to rack up battle warscore and capture prisoners, without having to chase enemy armies down.

Finally, there is the possibility that simply bringing along levies actually has the potential to make your army fight worse than it would without them, owing to the way combat width works. It's based on the number of guys present from both sides, so if you bring a really small MaA army, and your enemy brings a really huge Levy army, they wind up taking a huge penalty to their damage output. Bringing a bunch of levies along would add more strength to your side, but it would also ameliorate the damage penalty that your enemy is taking. But to reiterate I have not done the math on this last bit

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think for that last bit, empirically Levie padding for MAA is a good thing; if there's a large disparity in stack sizes and the fight isn't a total stomp, the attrition of losses will mean that the smaller stack almost immediately starts dealing reduced dmg as it takes casualties while the bigger stack just pulls more warm bodies in.

There's some crazy hypotheticals edge cases, but in practice quickly merging a pile of (non-supply-depleted) levies just before a fight is never going to hurt you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Yep, basically levies are expensive to keep raised, and are much much weaker than an equivalent number of MaA, especially once you get a couple of tiers of boosting buildings.

They can be useful for soaking damage or carpet sieging everything, but it's often better to just rely upon MaA.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pakled posted:

I don't think that's the case, because on the most recent patch, I had duchies in southern England de jure drifting into my custom Kingdom of Flanders on the other side of the channel.

Might be that the drift can cross a single water province but not more, and so Sicily is too far away while your Flanders wasn't?

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Thank you! And what’s the best way to raise just my MaA and some levies? The raise “local levies” button?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

alcaras posted:

Thank you! And what’s the best way to raise just my MaA and some levies? The raise “local levies” button?

Raise the armies, then stop the raising by moving them away with ctrl when you have enough.
The 'raise all' gathers all your troops, no matter where they are, 'raise local' gathers all troops that are closer to this flag than to any other one, so you might need to mess with your rally points to get it to do something useful.

dprk -i juche.deb
Jul 25, 2012

you must give up playing this hole

Tamba posted:

Raise the armies, then stop the raising by moving them away with ctrl when you have enough.
The 'raise all' gathers all your troops, no matter where they are, 'raise local' gathers all troops that are closer to this flag than to any other one, so you might need to mess with your rally points to get it to do something useful.

In my experience this worked in the last version, but in this version MaA seem to be raised last so the ctrl-click trick will often result in an army of just levies. What I do is set up the max number of rally points throughout the realm and then use raise local army and wait for it to finish, which will result in all your MaA and a few levies. Then if you want more levies for whatever reason, you can do an additional 'raise all' and stop it when you have enough.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's very annoying you can't set how you want your armies configured. I've ended up raising all in one rally point and babysitting the resulting 3+ groups that form to stay under supply limit, then do the create new army button on each of them to separate the knights and MaAs into their own army which I send on, and dismiss the leftover all levy armies.

It seems to work for the most part but then stationing for sieges splits weirdly too, so that requires more babysitting.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's very annoying you can't set how you want your armies configured. I've ended up raising all in one rally point and babysitting the resulting 3+ groups that form to stay under supply limit, then do the create new army button on each of them to separate the knights and MaAs into their own army which I send on, and dismiss the leftover all levy armies.

It seems to work for the most part but then stationing for sieges splits weirdly too, so that requires more babysitting.

The problem with doing it that way is that you might end up waiting 6+ months for the levies to become available again. If you need them to put down a raid or even just deter an enemy stack from attacking your MaA when you don't want them to, having those levies readily available is handy. Because there isn't a "raise only knights + MaA" button, the only way to get your MaA without a ton of levies is to use a bunch of rally points and the "raise local levies" button.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

binge crotching posted:

The problem with doing it that way is that you might end up waiting 6+ months for the levies to become available again. If you need them to put down a raid or even just deter an enemy stack from attacking your MaA when you don't want them to, having those levies readily available is handy. Because there isn't a "raise only knights + MaA" button, the only way to get your MaA without a ton of levies is to use a bunch of rally points and the "raise local levies" button.

Huh, I hadn't thought of that. Good point!

Is any of this intentional design to model something or is it just accidentally awkward? I know it used to be the case that the MaA were raised right away so you could play with them without raising all your levies, but I guess people were able to teleport them around from rally point to rally point, so now they get raised after the levies?

I just want to be able to set up battle squads and siege squads easily and as it is, it's pretty complicated for a really common use case.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah MaA needing travel time is an objectively good change, but them arriving mixed in with levies really ups the need for a "Raise Men At Arms" button within the UI. My current method is just hitting Raise All, waiting for the MaA to arrive, cancelling the muster, and then splitting off the majority of the levy units into their own unit and disbanding it. It is very tedious.

And yea the months for them to re-ready themselves is irritating, though given how useless they are, also not that big of deal.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Would it be worth revising vassal contracts to reduce levies (and increase taxes)?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

alcaras posted:

Would it be worth revising vassal contracts to reduce levies (and increase taxes)?

Its worthwhile at least to drop the forced partition to annoying and upcoming superdukes and give them reduced levies or reduced taxes. Marry your relatives to the non-direct successors and then shank the shithead.

By the time their primary inheritor has gotten every claim back together, if that even happens, they are usually hated by large enough part of their subjects that they cannot compete for poo poo.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

alcaras posted:

Yes. The tax increase you get out of them is small on an individual level (so if you're a Duke with 3 count vassals or something it doesn't really matter either way), but the levies they give you are mostly useless, I will happily trade them away for anything else.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Do friends declare war on you? Would it be possible to avoid crusades/jihads/etc by becoming buddies with the Pope?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Veryslightlymad posted:

Do friends declare war on you? Would it be possible to avoid crusades/jihads/etc by becoming buddies with the Pope?

I'm pretty sure you can't declare war on friends, but not positive

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kaza42 posted:

I'm pretty sure you can't declare war on friends, but not positive

Afaik, the relationship modifiers are just that: base modifiers, albeit often pretty significant ones. I don't remember seeing any mechanical restriction on attacking friends, but for AI it's more that that huge positive modifier makes them a whole lot less inclined to do so, even when they have pretty good reasons. The combined “motivation to do nasty thing X” is just too low for them to act on it.

For the player, it's more that staying friends with friends means you have a stable and predictable party that you probably don't want to unseat because the only thing you can gain is more grief with other characters that don't like you. The territory is usually not worth the headache. In addition, being friends, they're much more amenable to other means of integrating them into the realm if you really do need that land for whatever reason.

There might be fewer evil tricks and opportunities to invent a claim or CB to attack them, where for rivals and nemeses, schemes and factions and war will just come by itself because of how little you like each other. I might be confusing it with CKII but I think there's even a few “gently caress it, WAR!” events related to enemies like this, and you obviously won't get those with friends. So I think it's more a matter of fewer opportunities and it not being that beneficial to begin with, rather than the game outright not allowing you to attack a friend.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If there are restrictions like that (which I don't think there are as I have never noticed them), Great Holy Wars would almost certainly be exempt given the whole pledge system that builds up to them.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Is there an easy way to apportion land / create duchies after a Holy War?

Having to go through manually county by county and find a content person who isn't an heir to something is a pain ('Not Ruler' doesn't filter out heirs, and 'Unlanded' somehow filters out... everyone?)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

"Unlanded" in that sense specifically means Titled But Unlanded (so like the Orthodox Patriarch, Holy Order leaders maybe).

But nah not really. If you really want Content rulers though (I'd rather just land co-dynasts, vassals aren't really a threat like they were in CK2) you can filter on traits by typing in the search box.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
Ah that makes sense; thank you!

Is there a way to filter to people who aren't heirs to titles? I guess 'Not Ruler' and 'No Claims' works.

alcaras fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 20, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Not that I know of. I just mouse over people's portraits in the list to check. Not efficient but it works I suppose. Sometimes they'll have residual claims to stuff so while it's an interesting idea to filter on no claims (it actually hadn't occurred to me before) I'm not sure it's the right one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
If you filter to lowborns, none of them should be heirs to anything.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
Reasonably sure I went to war with a friend and got a neat event about it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, the AI won't oppose/uprise against friends, same as if you had a strong hook or they where terrified of you. That, with some other guys saying how your fiends work 20% harder on the council, kinda makes friendship the ultimate force in the ck3 universe.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
That and being good to your Spouse(s).

Speaking of, one thing that annoys me is if you run a faith that allows multiple spouses, and your primary spouse dies, you don't get any control over which spouse is set as the primary. What if I wanted the one who had slightly lower stats overall, but was more lopsided to stewardship?

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

alcaras posted:

Ah that makes sense; thank you!

Is there a way to filter to people who aren't heirs to titles? I guess 'Not Ruler' and 'No Claims' works.

It was already mentioned, but just wanted to make sure you saw it: you can filter on "lowborn". They won't be inheriting anything.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Light DD this week, couple of highlights:
  • The next patch won't come with a DLC and is aimed to be released before the vacation period at the end of June BUT it might slip. Couple of new features include revisions to the war declaration UI "to better highlight your opponent’s strength and the different objectives available for a given Casus Belli", free MaA granted at start/when someone is landed for the first time (ie, granted not inherited I guess), and a Steam open beta of MP stability improvements.

• The next DLC will be the first full expansion and will, as everyone guessed, be announced at PDXCon, followed by dev diaries mixed in with the dev diaries for the next free patch. Given the summer vacation I'd be shocked if it was out before September but we'll see.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Sucks I hafta wait a whole year for this Byz DLC. At least it better be byz.

Also you can’t declare war on a friend if the friend is your liege because you can’t join factions against a friend. But if they’re outside your realm it’s fair game.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Oh well, another month until DLC reveal at PDXCon

Latest DD

war declaration window changes and starting MaA are good changes

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Every ruler starting with MaA is a huge change, it's going to make early warfare a lot more interesting.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Wonder if it scales at all to power.

I'm thinking about partition here. You separate from the other heirs, but you get to keep Daddy's army, and the other chumps are stuck with their levies.

Or when the AI realms split, this will leave them wqy less immediately weakened.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah exactly, taking the full household retinue with you on succession is one of the hugest advantages the player has (and why losing titles to partition is not a big deal, you can just take them back so easily), it'd be cool if they could resolve that somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah exactly, taking the full household retinue with you on succession is one of the hugest advantages the player has (and why losing titles to partition is not a big deal, you can just take them back so easily), it'd be cool if they could resolve that somehow.

MaA loyalty?