Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Question.
This poll is closed.
Yes. 76 50.67%
No. 74 49.33%
Total: 127 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Let's not forget that whole "IP law applied to medicine to outright refuse any and all license production creating forced scarcity and "stratification of the marketplace" with "premium segment products" fiercely upheld during a pandemic that's killed as many Americans as the GWOT killed Iraqis"... thing.

The hoarding is one thing. Getting control of the patents and regulating their use as you see fit, oh boy, thats a different one. It's almost impressive.

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/BrandyZadrozny/status/1384160036910292998?s=19

I mostly just linked this because it's a short story in perfect form. Covid vaccines gave me blood clots and I felt like I was miscarrying. Except I didn't get the vaccine, I'm not pregnant, so maybe they adjusted the chemtrails to give me 5G hormones.

https://twitter.com/n0nservatum/status/1384051619109629956?s=21

It’s real and this tweet is proof

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Let's not forget that whole "IP law applied to medicine to outright refuse any and all license production creating forced scarcity and "stratification of the marketplace" with "premium segment products" fiercely upheld during a pandemic that's killed as many Americans as the GWOT killed Iraqis"... thing.

The hoarding is one thing. Getting control of the patents and regulating their use as you see fit, oh boy, thats a different one. It's almost impressive.
Moderna has already said they won't enforce their patents on anyone making a COVID vaccine.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

congrats on your wife's early menopause

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

There's something surreal about seeing a WW2 era plane ditch in (relatively) high quality color video. Not sure if ditching right next to the beach was the best idea, though, because it looks like he flew directly over a couple people at the very start of the video. I guess no one got hurt in the end, so all's well that ends well?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

maffew buildings posted:

congrats on your wife's early menopause

Having a husband like that anything reproduction related probably shriveled up and died of sadness a long time ago.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

And Bill Gates fought heavily to ensure that. Philanthropist my rear end.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

And Bill Gates fought heavily to ensure that. Philanthropist my rear end.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Spoggerific posted:

There's something surreal about seeing a WW2 era plane ditch in (relatively) high quality color video. Not sure if ditching right next to the beach was the best idea, though, because it looks like he flew directly over a couple people at the very start of the video. I guess no one got hurt in the end, so all's well that ends well?

The landing was good and the damage seemed to be minimal all things considered, along with the fact that no one seemed to get hurt was good too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pine Cone Jones posted:

The landing was good and the damage seemed to be minimal all things considered, along with the fact that no one seemed to get hurt was good too.

Well, any landing you can be hosed out of...

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

So antibody else ready for this acquittal in the Chauvin trial?

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I'm catching up on the thread

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/FrankSowa1/status/1384234553921867782?s=19

loving why

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Steve jobs missed his friends

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

$

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Bugs Bunny had a valid point in cutting off Florida

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1384204691349774339?s=20

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Chauvin jury off to deliberate

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Chauvin jury off to deliberate

Considering the defense lawyer is still trying to find dumb, pedantic bullshit to force a mistrial, sure doesn't sound like he likes Chauvin's chances very much.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Considering the defense lawyer is still trying to find dumb, pedantic bullshit to force a mistrial, sure doesn't sound like he likes Chauvin's chances very much.

That’s his job though.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

hobbesmaster posted:

That’s his job though.

Yeah that's fair. Just seems pretty thin that the defense is trying to use what Maxine Waters randomly said as an excuse to toss the whole trial. I know it's getting it on the record for any potential appeal, and defense throws literally everything at the wall because why not, but geez.

Edit: also dumb -

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1384255437923504132?s=19

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
edit: nm, terrible timing

Vortex Street fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 20, 2021

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

I’m calling hung jury, maybe he’s convicted on the lowest charged but then it’s vacated in a couple years

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah that's fair. Just seems pretty thin that the defense is trying to use what Maxine Waters randomly said as an excuse to toss the whole trial. I know it's getting it on the record for any potential appeal, and defense throws literally everything at the wall because why not, but geez.

Edit: also dumb -

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1384255437923504132?s=19

It looks like that’s part of the generic Minnesota jury instructions for some weird reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
They don’t have free access to the transcript, sure, but can they not even send a note and get something specific clarified?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Platystemon posted:

They don’t have free access to the transcript, sure, but can they not even send a note and get something specific clarified?

The court reporter still has to convert/review the transcript, and that takes time. There are weeks of records to compile into a full trial transcript.

Reminder that court reporters are using stenography machines. They aren't using a standard keyboard. They have to go back through everything with the recording, verify what they typed down, and ensure it is attributed to the right person. Plus there are times when people were speaking over each other that have to be corrected. This happened frequently for multiple witnesses.

e: For example, a 2.5 day arbitration transcript took more than a week to get my copy.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Platystemon posted:

In FL when we asked for the testimony of a specific part of the trail they had to quickly transcribe the notes and then read them off to us. I’m not sure it’s that different anywhere else.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nystral posted:

In FL when we asked for the testimony of a specific part of the trail they had to quickly transcribe the notes and then read them off to us. I’m not sure it’s that different anywhere else.

It doesn't look to be the same for MN. I'm sure they can ask, but there's no guarantee they'll get it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I don't think a transcript is needed. Chauvin's knee was on Floyd's neck for around four minutes after he was already dead. I don't think you really have to question much when you start with that fact. They also have a laptop so they can watch the videos and such again.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Why are stenography machines still in use when we could video and mic up everyone involved and the court room in general? I mean, maybe keep the stenographers around so if there's something garbled for the recording you could compare it against what the stenographer has?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I am going to state for the record that burning down businesses in the wake of racial injustice is wrong

But...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't think a transcript is needed. Chauvin's knee was on Floyd's neck for around four minutes after he was already dead. I don't think you really have to question much when you start with that fact. They also have a laptop so they can watch the videos and such again.

The law and trials work on a bunch of "well technically"s though so nothing is really certain.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Defenestrategy posted:

Why are stenography machines still in use when we could video and mic up everyone involved and the court room in general? I mean, maybe keep the stenographers around so if there's something garbled for the recording you could compare it against what the stenographer has?

There's audio recording of everything as well, and the court reporter uses that to help fix any spots in the transcript where something was unclear or people were speaking over each other.

Auto-captioning software is also not really good enough to accurately transcribe everything and would have to be reviewed as well.

There's not a technological answer to the fact that someone has to go over every single line of transcript and then certify it to be correct. That will be required regardless of how things get transcribed.

Also stenography keyboards are awesome, and I wish I could transcribe like that sometimes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1384199942068047872

Pretty cool how many people actually believe this bullshit.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Noted felon but not the cool kind here to defend the cops.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Applied by the knee of the officer I suppose

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

maffew buildings posted:

He could have been killed by a lot of things that didn’t get the chance to because a cop got him first

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Is murdered by racist cop a pre-existing condition?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

maffew buildings posted:

Elijah McClain was murdered by cop administered ketamine, so gently caress that excuse

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

maffew buildings posted:

The only people who believe it are the types you'd expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

Which is great because those types have an outsized amount of power and influence in the nation.