Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Big lols at super league players being banned from international football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

I saw a hilarious suggestion that supposedly the cities that these teams get their names from could choose to sue them over using the city name without a trademark or some dumb bullshit like that, and in the least likely but definitely funniest outcome they could force the teams to rename themselves, giving us literal PES names like Merseyside Reds instead of Liverpool FC.

I mean, Football Club United of Manchester is literally just jumbling up the existing words until nonsense falls out (it was originally just FC United until someone at the FA pointed out that you have to be named after a place). You do have this slightly weird thing where people chant for 'FC', like it's going to be good time tonight when we go and watch Football Club and hope that Football Club win, but yeah you can put it on a hat and stuff.

So, yeah, I don't think you could be 'Liverpool FC', but you could be Liverpool Thing AFC and there's gently caress all they could do about it as long as you're not intentionally trying to imitate the old Liverpool brand to the extreme that people would be confused by it. They can't copyright the name of the city, or the colour red, or putting Rafa Benitez's face on a bedsheet for some reason. I don't even think that 'Kop' is trademarked, since it's some old-school war thing and Chesterfield also used to have a Kop stand.

https://twitter.com/FCUnitedMcr/status/1384067874608713730

Jumpers; goalposts; getting beaten at home by Guiseley; etc; etc

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
As long as super league matches rotate between 12 am and 12 pm local start times to cater to US and Asia prime time hours, then everything should be good!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Frankston posted:

Big lols at super league players being banned from international football.

Qatar continuing to find new ways to be the worst international sporting event of all time

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Remember when Juve spent a dump truck of money trying to win the Champion’s League, failed embarrassingly multiple times over the course of 10 years, and then *gave up on participating in the tournament entirely*

loving clown car club

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
World Cup bans are a threat of a Mexican standoff that won't last. Why would a country refuse to have their best players there while dealing with a significant fan backlash? People will literally get politicians supporting this out of power and then get the person in that lets their country actually compete. Even if that policy somehow goes through, all of these countries will change it immediately after their first embarrassing WC performance, and then everyone will play just the same as before.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 19, 2021

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well are the World Cup bans ultimately up to each individual country or FIFA?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sandwolf posted:

Remember when Juve spent a dump truck of money trying to win the Champion’s League, failed embarrassingly multiple times over the course of 10 years, and then *gave up on participating in the tournament entirely*

loving clown car club

The Agnellis have always been the biggest cheerleaders for this whole idea. They've been trying to get it off the ground for years. The Americans are enthusiastic co-signatories, but it's Juve that have been the driving force behind the whole scheme and are the reason it has never gone away for long.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
As of now, FIFA is on board with this since they haven't come out against it. So I assume up to individuals countries. UEFA and local leagues are the ones against this development so far.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

bawfuls posted:

Well are the World Cup bans ultimately up to each individual country or FIFA?

Yeah FIFA controls international registrations. UEFA can only ban them from the euros.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
https://twitter.com/superigor/status/1384181418176118788?s=21

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Rad Russian posted:

World Cup bans are a Mexican standoff that won't last. Why would a country refuse to have their best players there while dealing with a significant fan outcry? Even if that policy goes through, all of these countries will change it immediately after their first embarrassing WC performance, and then everyone will play just the same as before.

I think the suggestion is that it would come down from above via UEFA or ultimately FIFA, but the legality of that is kinda unclear right now

if that doesn't happen then yeah, I could maybe see the FA, FIGC and RFEF make a voluntary decision to exclude those players as those federations have the most poo poo to eat here and it'd be nice for them to have someone else to blame this time round, but I wouldn't expect the US to drop Pulisic in solidarity (for all the good that'd do them)

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

peanut- posted:

The Agnellis have always been the biggest cheerleaders for this whole idea. They've been trying to get it off the ground for years. The Americans are enthusiastic co-signatories, but it's Juve that have been the driving force behind the whole scheme and are the reason it has never gone away for long.

Yep

Andrea Agnelli sucks

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

:sickos:

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

This is an incredible storyline and I am so happy this is happening.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I mean, Football Club United of Manchester is literally just jumbling up the existing words until nonsense falls out (it was originally just FC United until someone at the FA pointed out that you have to be named after a place). You do have this slightly weird thing where people chant for 'FC', like it's going to be good time tonight when we go and watch Football Club and hope that Football Club win, but yeah you can put it on a hat and stuff.

I agree, they should chant F-CUM.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Mods please rename thread to European Super League Super Thread: Dreams can't be buy <3

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Juve Merda forever and ever

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Fuckin' get'em!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Frankston posted:

Mods please rename thread to European Super League Super Thread: Dreams can't be buy <3

If anything can save football as we know it, it's comic sans

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
This is all part of PSGs masterplan. They will get their Champions League win (by default, who cares, it makes them former winners) and then go join the new superleague. Intrigue within intrigue.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I don't think I've seen anyone come out and support this, which in itself is impressive.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Lets say for the sake of discussion FIFA comes down hard against this, lifetime bans from all international competition to any player participating in even 1 match in the Superleague.

What recourse do players on these teams right now have? Can they bail on their contracts and sign elsewhere? Are they stuck for the duration of their current contracts? Is this whole thing going to come down to adjudication of EU labor laws?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Flayer posted:

This is all part of PSGs masterplan. They will get their Champions League win (by default, who cares, it makes them former winners) and then go join the new superleague. Intrigue within intrigue.

I would guess this will put Bayern back in the tournament, so probably makes their chances worse.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

FullLeatherJacket posted:

https://twitter.com/FCUnitedMcr/status/1384067874608713730

Jumpers; goalposts; getting beaten at home by Guiseley; etc; etc

I remember when these guys got drawn against hartlepool in the cup at home. they were doing interviews with giggsy or something and he said it was a great winnable draw for them. :argh:

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Xabi posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone come out and support this, which in itself is impressive.

the only people who genuinely like the idea are the people who will directly earn money from it lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

European Super League: if it's so super why is everyone crying?

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Another point raised by the Guardian is this:

Some of these British, Spanish and Italian "Superclubs" (as opposed to Bayern) are super in debt, given that their strategy is pay huge sums of money to snatch top players from other conferences.

They may see this is a necessity - they need the fixed income over the next few years to balance out. However, with Bayern and PSG dominating the CL, they don't get it.

In particular, they may want to cash grab that money until the EFL dies, and then try to crawl back into the fold.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

I agree, they should chant F-CUM.

i mean, the football part is kinda implied and redundant

you want a nice neat slogan that you can cover the ground in and that the fans will eat up

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
i hope they get kicked out of domestic leagues soon

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Good.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wow the assholes actually did it.

Have any current players for the teams said anything? Universal condemnation but I've only seen former players and managers speak out thus far.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Slaapaav posted:

i hope they get kicked out of domestic leagues soon
It's why Arsenal have joined, avoid a 10th place finish nice and smooth.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Fortaleza posted:

Have any current players for the teams said anything? Universal condemnation but I've only seen former players and managers speak out thus far.

Bruno Fernandes said "Dreams can't be buy".

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Xabi posted:

Americans are into it of course
https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/1384144897993707525

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
What’s a good video or audio stream to follow this idiot shitshow minute by minute?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

arsenal being involved really sells the farce this is lol

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

Fortaleza posted:

All we got so far is Bruno Fernandes commenting "Dreams can't be buy" (sic) in response to some anti super league stuff on Instagram.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

a scathing indictment

Jose posted:

arsenal being involved really sells the farce this is lol

them and spurs is a lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dex_sda posted: