Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

I don't think I've seen anyone come out and support this, which in itself is impressive.

Naturally I've seen some Juve supporters happy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

bawfuls posted:

Lets say for the sake of discussion FIFA comes down hard against this, lifetime bans from all international competition to any player participating in even 1 match in the Superleague.

What recourse do players on these teams right now have? Can they bail on their contracts and sign elsewhere? Are they stuck for the duration of their current contracts? Is this whole thing going to come down to adjudication of EU labor laws?

On the other hand, there are probably going to be a large number of players who would be thrilled to be paid the same amount (or more!) to play fewer games. Does anyone really think that most players have loyalty to anything other than money? Some might leave very publicly but it's pretty telling we haven't had any player reactions in the press yet. They're all greedy pieces of poo poo and are the direct causes of why so many leagues are losing money.

That said, my first reaction has always been that this was a powerplay to get UEFA to play ball with them on profit sharing. I still think that's what's happening Even if UEFA calls their bluff and lets them leave, the only reason UEFA isn't the most corrupt organization in Europe is because FIFA and the IOC are headquartered in Europe too, so it's hard to get too indignant.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

This motherfucker

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Alexi Lalas with a mind-boggingly stupid opinion, at least some things never change

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

*Grabs worn out copy of "Everything they teach you at Harvard Business School"*

"Simple, if they provide a better product, they are entitled to a higher profit margin, hence I don't see what this has to do with,

Gosh drat it's all great.
Post some meltdowns gents I'm spurtin here

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Lawyers L'equipe talked to are saying it probably violates EU competition laws to ban players from participating in a tournament because their club is participating in a rival one.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Un-joueur-peut-il-vraiment-etre-prive-de-coupe-du-monde/1216307

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

They're all greedy pieces of poo poo and are the direct causes of why so many leagues are losing money.
yeah gently caress labor getting it's due, greedy pieces of poo poo! Those drat players ruining ~our beautiful game~

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I’m all aboard the gently caress fifa and uefa train. Just the absolute most corrupt motherfuckers get no sympathy.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
can we get fan ownership laws all across europe now so it doesnt become too american?

loving americans

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1384198296277700621

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

bawfuls posted:

yeah gently caress labor getting it's due, greedy pieces of poo poo! Those drat players ruining ~our beautiful game~

Carry that water for Ronaldo.

The players who are getting hurt by this are the ones that need the most help. The big clubs leaving only hurts the domestic leagues where the bench-starting defenders are one season from losing their homes.

As I pointed out, not one player from the teams in question have come out against this. They're probably thrilled.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Grimson posted:

Lawyers L'equipe talked to are saying it probably violates EU competition laws to ban players from participating in a tournament because their club is participating in a rival one.

https://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Article/Un-joueur-peut-il-vraiment-etre-prive-de-coupe-du-monde/1216307

I reckon the funniest option is everything goes to court and the whole transfer system comes crashing down. Imagine having players handing in their notice in the run up to summer

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

i mean, the football part is kinda implied and redundant

you want a nice neat slogan that you can cover the ground in and that the fans will eat up

I think given their history and success in leading the fan movement stuff it makes more sense than some rando team but yeah it is kinda goofy when you think about it.

Is my impression correct that labor law with regard to football players something everyone involved is trying very hard not to get a court to look at too closely?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

They got some nice banners real quick

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Oh man I can't wait to see my working class club Liverpool FC come out and straight up shred the other clubs involved in thi-

WAIT... WUUUHAAT???

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

hosed up that this whole thing gave Levy enough guaranteed funds to fire Mourinho instead of having to suffer through the rest of his contract

The fans have lost out twice today

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1384180818973581313?s=19

Lol the Americans are loving loving this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is my impression correct that labor law with regard to football players something everyone involved is trying very hard not to get a court to look at too closely?

Yeah pretty much. Nobody wants labour laws like "an employee can give two weeks' notice and then go work for a rival company" applied to football clubs even though when you really get down to it footballers are employees like anybody else.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/1384194971322839048
lmao

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

People saying gently caress UEFA like these 12 clubs aren’t trying to directly replace UEFA and get all that corruption money themselves.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Jesus Christ. Of course Matty Y has a terrible take.

The whole thing that makes the CL and cup competitions like the FA cup exciting are the once in a decade matchup that makes you mark your calendar and get excited like its Christmas. It's why College Football is better in a visceral and emotional way than the NFL.

If Man U is playing Inter every couple weeks with absolutely no stakes the only thing making it exciting is loving branding and tribe mentality nonsense. It's going to be so mind-numbingly BORING the same way the Spanish League has been boring for the past 20 years.

Conversely, hope everyone's ready for a 50-year "dark times" where Bayern/Dortmund/PSG trade off CL titles.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

arsenal supporters too

https://twitter.com/DonreaI/status/1384190139170050053?s=20
https://twitter.com/LickshotLippy/status/1384052198133223428?s=20

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

vyelkin posted:

Yeah pretty much. Nobody wants labour laws like "an employee can give two weeks' notice and then go work for a rival company" applied to football clubs even though when you really get down to it footballers are employees like anybody else.

Ah. My dad is still mad about free agency in American sports which we got when the courts told baseball to gently caress off with the reserve clause. It seems that sports financial stuff always falls apart when a court looks at it. Odd.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

That guy is one of the stupidest people on the planet.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Grimson posted:

This 'threat' of not letting players play in international tournaments is not a threat at all. Club owners don't give a rat's rear end about those, on the contrary. They want their own players at home, not flying around to other countries where they can get sick or injured or eating too many hamburgers.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I probably should have said that no non-idiots are supporting the idea.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
It’s lovely; but the wouldn’t have to put some flunky of Putin’s on the board and pretend there isn’t significant doping.

I can conceptually deal better with hyper capitalism then Picasso’s being thrown around. But I’m a broke brained American.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Strong words from 9th place.

But they're not wrong, send arsenal to the national league

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Not for nothing, but if the Super League actually happens, Arsenal is going to be in the bottom half for at least 5 years, probably longer.

freeasinbeer posted:

It’s lovely; but the wouldn’t have to put some flunky of Putin’s on the board and pretend there isn’t significant doping.

I can conceptually deal better with hyper capitalism then Picasso’s being thrown around. But I’m a broke brained American.

This is really the biggest problem that the rest of the leagues have. UEFA is HYPER corrupt and no one would really miss them. The real tragedy with all this is what's gonna happen to the domestic leagues.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If you're gonna use Matty Y as a representative of all Americans then I'm going to do the same with Piers

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

These people are idiots, the only thing I can think of that’s more depressing than supporting Arsenal is supporting Arsenal when there are literally no stakes and the whole competition is pointless.

Capitalism ruins everything.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Alexi Lalas is such a stupid dumbass, I hate him

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

your friend wicka posted:

If you're gonna use Matty Y as a representative of all Americans then I'm going to do the same with Piers

Piers is a pretty good representation of the people on this stupid island, he does have more money than average though.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

Carry that water for Ronaldo.

The players who are getting hurt by this are the ones that need the most help. The big clubs leaving only hurts the domestic leagues where the bench-starting defenders are one season from losing their homes.

As I pointed out, not one player from the teams in question have come out against this. They're probably thrilled.
I have no particular knowledge of the labor situation in EU sport but blaming "greedy players" for team finances is carrying water for billionaire owners no matter what continent on which you watch men playing games to distract yourself from our capitalist hellscape

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1384146155920007168?s=20

I guess this means we might see an actual reaction from the EPL.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Piers is a pretty good representation of the people on this stupid island, he does have more money than average though.

I had a family member saying he shouldn't have been fired for his comments and freedom of speech and ughhhhh

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

trem_two posted:

Naturally I've seen some Juve supporters happy about it.

gently caress 'em lol

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Muh freez peach

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

yglesias is the dumbest motherfucker alive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

odds are Matty doesn't know the Champions League exists