Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
poll
This poll is closed.
answer 1 9 8.33%
answer 2 15 13.89%
answer 3 48 44.44%
answer 4 36 33.33%
Total: 108 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Only in Twin Snakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

redreader posted:

My fave '???' part of MGS is seeing that Solid Snake is only 165lbs (74kg) and thinking "what...?". I mean not to body shame or anything but you'd think a 6 foot supersoldier would have maybe lifted weights a couple of times. (Yeah I'm heavier and shorter than that so I can't talk, but still, wtf?). This is a part where you can be like 'this game was definitely 100% not made in the USA where he'd be 190-210 (?) lbs probably.

The Snake Sons were genetically engineered with very specific specifics in mind.

Like that lady from the Mass Effect games, only without the focus on the butt.

Or I guess...with the focus on the butt. But not anymore, for either of them.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

redreader posted:

My fave '???' part of MGS is seeing that Solid Snake is only 165lbs (74kg) and thinking "what...?". I mean not to body shame or anything but you'd think a 6 foot supersoldier would have maybe lifted weights a couple of times. (Yeah I'm heavier and shorter than that so I can't talk, but still, wtf?). This is a part where you can be like 'this game was definitely 100% not made in the USA where he'd be 190-210 (?) lbs probably.

Uhm, actually actual special ops murdermen are usually lean because having big muscles is not really an advantage in most situations, endurance is much more important. Beefy soldiers are usually the ones who hang around the base all day lifting weights, not the people crawling trough ventilation shafts to destroy Metal Gear.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

redreader posted:

snake isn’t a brawler. his job is ostensibly to fight as few people as possible in the course of his mission. it makes sense that his physical conditioning would emphasize speed and agility over pure strength

Weedle
May 31, 2006

games chat posters rushing to defend solid snake’s lithe, sinewy body

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

we all know what would happen if his rear end cheeks were fat

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
where's the goon who had the avatar of the stupid sexy flanders bit except it's snake

Weedle
May 31, 2006

homeless snail posted:

we all know what would happen if his rear end cheeks were fat

be glad i’m not posting the rest of my “wedged” folder

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
if he were big and beefy he'd be called Big Bull or some poo poo

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

This is basically my childhood.avi

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Incedentally, Big Bull from Okage is also the perfect man

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

VideoGames posted:

I have been trying to fill out my bingo square and one of the spots "Say "x" isthe "darksouls" of"xxx" ANDJUSTIFY IT" is proving difficult because while so many reviewers say some game is the dark souls of something, it is actually not true because if it were I would not have struggled to find similar games after Bloodborne. Being the dark souls of something requires an awful lot of DNA that most games do not understand or seem unwilling to fully embrace.

Cuphead felt soulsy in places to me, but I accept it is not a direct match and Hollow Knight is probably more soulsy but does not have the boss battles that Cuphead has. Cuphead bosses feel more soulsy.

Ah, souls.

Have you beaten Hollow Knight? Because some of the latter bosses are extremely soulsy.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Finally picked up my new glasses and whoah I forgot how crazy things are when you have a much stronger new prescription :stare:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

finally getting around to doing the story stuff for ishgard restoration in xiv and nobody told me there was a dragon you can do quests for :3:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Simone Magus posted:

Finally picked up my new glasses and whoah I forgot how crazy things are when you have a much stronger new prescription :stare:

Can you see into snail's soul?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mix. posted:

finally getting around to doing the story stuff for ishgard restoration in xiv and nobody told me there was a dragon you can do quests for :3:

please post your reaction when you get to the end of that quest line

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ehll Tou owns

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Weedle posted:

games chat posters rushing to defend solid snake’s lithe, sinewy body

Snake had cake. But then Sakurai taketh away

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dioxazine posted:

Can you see into snail's soul?

I wasn't aware there was one to see!

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

need at least an electron microscope

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

redreader posted:

That's 7 pounds less than 7'5" Sagat, according to Super Street Fighter 2.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

also i know it was like two pages ago but if we're talking menu music this is probably still to date one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAMhIkckhw

there's just something about it that sticks with me, especially after having played the rest of the game and being reminded of it all listening to this now...that's probably why it's always the first to come to mind when i think of menu music, lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mxRUKehtE

Anybody who played XI has this seared into their brain

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

redreader posted:

More like The Twink Snakes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I think this is the third time I've played Subnautica for 15 hours, started venturing into areas that are pitch black, pinged my sonar, saw a leviathan and went "I don't think I want to play aynymore"

Are there any other games with that kind of crafting/fixed world/plotline but that don't take place in the deep ocean? I already played Breathedge and it's almost what I wanted, except for all the bad jokes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

ymgve posted:

Are there any other games with that kind of crafting/fixed world/plotline but that don't take place in the deep ocean? I already played Breathedge and it's almost what I wanted, except for all the bad jokes.

The Long Dark?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/adashtra/status/1384207565970546705?s=20

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

So while I've been playing Ys 8, something has been bugging me about the defensive mechanics. They function...oddly. So like a lot of action games, you've got the ability to dodge and block, right? Here they're called Just Dodge and Just Guard, and they're parry systems that are honestly pretty powerful; if you just barely dodge/block an attack, you get a pretty generous period of invincibility to lay on the hurt, plus an extra bonus (attack/move speed up for Just Dodge, 100% crit chance for Just Guard). But the issue here is that Just Guard feels way, way more powerful.

Let's start with Just Dodge. It functions about how you would expect. You've got a dedicated dodge button you can hit to enter a roll, with some i-frames. It can't be used during normal attacks or skills. It's got a little bit of a problem where enemy attacks can be pretty inconsistent on when the Just Dodge triggers; sometimes you have to do it as an attack is about to hit, sometimes you have to do it during the startup, and having to figure this out can get you hit. It also doesn't really grant you any way to clip through models; if you try to do a Dark Souls "roll towards the enemy to pass under their arms/legs" you'll likely just get stuck on the attack animation and get hit. It's decently useful but can be unreliable.

Just Guard though, drat this thing is nuts. Oddly enough there's no guard button: instead, this is mapped to your skill menu button, the button you have to hold down to use skills. As a result, every time you want to use skills a small circle surrounds your character and if you get hit while its up you Just Guard. A few things about this: first of all, there's no animation, so you can do this at virtually any time no matter what. The only time it doesn't trigger is if you're in the middle of a skill animation. It does have a slight cooldown, only about 1 second. And lastly, the timing for using this is extremely consistent. Unlike Just Dodge, this will always trigger if an attack's hitbox connects with you while the Just Guard circle is up. It's frankly a little ridiculous, because you can do this pretty much whenever you drat well feel like it and there's absolutely no punishment. You don't have to stop attacking, you don't have to deal with any startup or cooldown frames. If you get caught unaware and overextend, it's fine, just push the button and you're invincible now! Hell, due to it being tied to the Skill Menu button I've used this completely by accident!

And the real kicker, though this applies more to Just Guard than Just Dodge, you can refresh your invincibility time by just blocking/dodging another attack. Yes, during your invincibility period. This is amazing for Just Guard because again, there's no punishment for using it; you can just keep attacking while invincible, and get more invincibility time completely for free! Just Dodge isn't quite as useful there, but it is interesting to note that while you get your bonus from one source, you can still get the bonus for the other one. So, say, if I guard an attack and dodge another one immediately after, I'm invincible, have increased speed, and also 100% crit rate!

As a result of this, I really feel like a boss' difficulty can depend on how easy their attacks are to parry, and how fast they attack; with bosses with rapid fire attack, you can easily stay invincible for like, 5 seconds or longer. It's completely absurd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Mix. posted:

That guy's my friend.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

cheetah7071 posted:

please post your reaction when you get to the end of that quest line

I always stop paying attention to those quests about halfway through so I'm going to assume the lil' dragon buddy is forever happy and loved by all.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stev posted:

I always stop paying attention to those quests about halfway through so I'm going to assume the lil' dragon buddy is forever happy and loved by all.

On a farm, upstate with lots of room to fly.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ymgve posted:

Metal Gear Survive, even though it intentionally looks a lot like deep ocean

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Mix. posted:

also i know it was like two pages ago but if we're talking menu music this is probably still to date one of my favorites: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTAMhIkckhw

This is the music you make for an MMO where you KNOW someone's gonna go comatose while playing

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Whizzing Wizard posted:

Thinking about maybe buying a Wii U ... It's 100 dollars... Should I get it?

A little late but absolutely. It's the proto Switch. Some games actually work better on it because of the 2 screens. It's also simple enough to soft mod so that you can play GameCube and some Wii games handheld, and there's only maybe 2 or 3 games that actually require 2 screens so you don't even need it plugged into a tv 99% of the time. Oh yeah, and DS games on both screens so you can actually see them. And the Wii U tablet is 1,000 times more comfortable than the Switch. I have both in my house and the only way I'm getting rid of the Wii U is when the Switch can safely do everything it can.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

The WiiU also has a very small number of absolute bangers (Xenoblade X)

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

ymgve posted:

I think this is the third time I've played Subnautica for 15 hours, started venturing into areas that are pitch black, pinged my sonar, saw a leviathan and went "I don't think I want to play aynymore"

Hahaha this is my exact experience with Subnautica. I love the early part of the game but the deep ocean absolutely terrifies me.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/danganronpawiki/status/1384179018669301765

Why now though? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZNMhWdr5U