Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

wait until US Arsenal fans realize that Stan Kroenke is a cheap fucker and only wants this Super League for the easy payouts, and Arsenal gets clowned on by the European elite every year and ends up in the bottom half every season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

wait until US Arsenal fans realize that Stan Kroenke is a cheap fucker and only wants this Super League for the easy payouts, and Arsenal gets clowned on by the European elite every year and ends up in the bottom half every season

wait until Stan Kroenke, a man who was sued by his hometown for taking the NFL team to Los Angeles for profit, has a continent of hooligans out for his blood

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

keep going i'm almost there

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FullLeatherJacket posted:

I mean, Football Club United of Manchester is literally just jumbling up the existing words until nonsense falls out (it was originally just FC United until someone at the FA pointed out that you have to be named after a place).

This isn't the case - e.g. Fisher Athletic (named after a saint), Airbus and all the other works teams that still lurk in the lower reaches of the pyramid, and absolutely shitloads of amateur teams with names like Premier 2 FC (an actual youth team in London, called that because there was already a Premier FC registered somewhere else). Traditionally clubs are named for a place, even if the place is just a pub, but it's not a rule.

The name came out of an extremely convoluted series of suggestions slapped down for various reasons - it started with AFC Manchester United, following on from AFC Wimbledon, but this caused every lawyer in the country to get an erection. AFC Manchester followed but was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection with United, AFC United similarly was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection to Manchester. AFC Newton Heath was already copyrighted by a sneaky bastard possibly connected to Man U. At some point they dropped the "A" (there's allegations of drama between the AFC Wimbledon people who were helping the Mancs but I don't know if that's the reason). and "FC United of Manchester" resulted from one of those "A horse designed by committee is a camel" series of meetings and focus groups.

*Allegedly* it was supposed to symbolise that they were United and blah blah blah but I prefer the theory that they chose it because the acronym "FCUM" sounds like "gently caress 'em".

(Source - my former boss was heavily involved in the early days of the club but ended up leaving because he really didn't get on with some of the others involved)

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
lol at quoting matt yglecias and loving Lalas about anything

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Klopp is not particularly happy with this one.

https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/1384210849116540928

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

US Arsenal fans are *not* ready to become the pittsburgh pirates of the Supraliga

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bawfuls posted:

odds are Matty doesn't know the Champions League exists

odds are he’s never thought about football before in his life

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This isn't the case - e.g. Fisher Athletic (named after a saint), Airbus and all the other works teams that still lurk in the lower reaches of the pyramid, and absolutely shitloads of amateur teams with names like Premier 2 FC (an actual youth team in London, called that because there was already a Premier FC registered somewhere else). Traditionally clubs are named for a place, even if the place is just a pub, but it's not a rule.

The name came out of an extremely convoluted series of suggestions slapped down for various reasons - it started with AFC Manchester United, following on from AFC Wimbledon, but this caused every lawyer in the country to get an erection. AFC Manchester followed but was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection with United, AFC United similarly was voted down because they wanted to keep the connection to Manchester. AFC Newton Heath was already copyrighted by a sneaky bastard possibly connected to Man U. At some point they dropped the "A" (there's allegations of drama between the AFC Wimbledon people who were helping the Mancs but I don't know if that's the reason). and "FC United of Manchester" resulted from one of those "A horse designed by committee is a camel" series of meetings and focus groups.

*Allegedly* it was supposed to symbolise that they were United and blah blah blah but I prefer the theory that they chose it because the acronym "FCUM" sounds like "gently caress 'em".

(Source - my former boss was heavily involved in the early days of the club but ended up leaving because he really didn't get on with some of the others involved)

I am a FCUM member but don't post anything on their boards or really have any association outside of 'yup, that's a club I follow' and...yeah it's basically this. Also it's great every few weeks to see the lowest stakes fights about nothing break out in their facebook group. Great comedy, would support angry breakaway fan club team again.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Slotducks posted:

US Arsenal fans are *not* ready to become the pittsburgh pirates of the Supraliga

I figure that'll be Tottenham's role

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

figures that when pep gets city to the semis he still gets denied in the end

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Slotducks posted:

I've never had my rear end kicked by a post harder than this

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

skaboomizzy posted:

I figure that'll be Tottenham's role

there's enough to go around

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
love the american takes

https://twitter.com/JamesSurowiecki/status/1384200053355466755

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

theyre gonna have to change their name because everyone knows that ESL stands for Electronic Sports League

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

lol leeds offered liverpool "earn it on the pitch" shirts for warm-ups and it made klopp mad

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Uh no, they don't count?

Sorry that the most uneducated casual fans don't get equal say to the local fans and organizations that built them into a club that a douchebag billionaire would consider buying.

Like, the American system of perpetual leagues came about because groups of owners were competing to be the only game in town and eventually they ran out competition. The European Leagues allowed all comers and have organically created powerhouse teams that are worth something. And now because Barca had good branding awareness and made sure that Messi was associated with shoes or whatever the gently caress on other continents doesn't just excuse their history or the reality of competition.

Sorry that some dipshit casual fan can't name any other teams. That doesn't mean that game or league between famous teams will be any good.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

lol leeds offered liverpool "earn it on the pitch" shirts for warm-ups and it made klopp mad

leeds being back in the PL has been great trolling.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

:nws: ?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Purely coincidentally, on club name chat, I've just discovered there's a Guru Nanak FC

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Who the gently caress are these dipshits

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

goddamnedtwisto posted:

BUG JUG posted:

I am a FCUM member but don't post anything on their boards or really have any association outside of 'yup, that's a club I follow' and...yeah it's basically this. Also it's great every few weeks to see the lowest stakes fights about nothing break out in their facebook group. Great comedy, would support angry breakaway fan club team again.

I remember there being a fan vote on the name at some stage, but the working title before anything got put in place was always some version of 'FC United' so nobody liked any of the other options, then at some stage it became FCUM, that's as much as I remember tbh and no idea what was discussed at board level

I do remember liking AFC Manchester 1878 a lot, which isn't the specific reason it got rejected but can't have helped

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

debate ~culture~

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Bape Culture posted:

professional american business dipshits

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
its time to kill all the rich people and end capitalism imho

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Slaapaav posted:

its time to kill all the rich people and end capitalism imho

if this is what causes that, i welcome it.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
loving Americans still at it

https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1384145642268725258?s=19

ok this one is trolling

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

qualifying for the big cash money competition via investing in your team and having them deliver good results in your league = not the best teams

being auto-guaranteed a spot in the big cash money competition so owners can rake in the cash without having to deliver any results, american style = the best teams

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

mila kunis posted:

qualifying for the big cash money competition via investing in your team and having them deliver good results in your league = not the best teams

being auto-guaranteed a spot in the big cash money competition so owners can rake in the cash without having to deliver any results, american style = the best teams

Please don't even try to engage with Matty Y, even typing up this post took more conscious effort than he puts into his braindead takes

How can one person have the access and position he does and be so sublimely ignorant and stupid

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

ZeeBoi posted:

Fantastic

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if u wanna know how much matty usually thinks about stuff before posting

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/AlexiLalas/status/1384185001625882629

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

this could be a great thread for shitposting if we get away from alexi lalas and matt yglesias tweets imo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

apropos of nothing i am reminded of the time lalas was co-hosting fox’s world cup programming or something and he was holding a fork instead of a pen

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Swoopin in with some takes *eagle shriek*

Salt Water Solution
Dec 28, 2005

ROCK AND ROLL IS FULL OF BAD WOOLS

edit: nah

Salt Water Solution fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 19, 2021

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

No-one gives a gently caress what Alexi Lalas thinks or says.

Now if Jozy Altidore has any takes on the situation, that'd be different.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Probably a year in I guess there will be super league tours abroad

PES or rando iOS dev gonna get on ground floor for some super league

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
it's not just americans with the dipshit takes, everyone settle down

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1384219019390033927

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU