Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
FF7R is easy to explain to anyone who watches too much anime

Did you watch any of the Eva Rebuilds? It's that. There you go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

DoctorWhat posted:

You understand me entirely, we just disagree I think. It doesn't matter to me what anyone had planned or intended, I think; art is what happens when the things we create are expereinced by other people. We can put our hard work and heartfelt beliefs into it, and hope that the circumstances of people who observe what we've made lead to some kind of resonance.
the things you experience dont blip into existance unprompted; why is the consumer experience so paramount that author desire and intent should be overrun 100% of the time?

i find your philosophy...bad

e: im glad you had good experiences with art resonating but your view of it is myopically blocked by the idea theres a single way to enjoy art: the exact way you did personally

fun hater fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 19, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There's value in original experiences and game states being preserved for archival reasons, but games breaking aren't usually intended by the authors and are a product of undue pressures to get the game out before they can be thoroughly bug tested or fix complicated known issues. Like you can go and play the vanilla, untouched state of VtM: Bloodlines and marvel at how hosed it is, but that's a different experience from the version that could be made stable enough for people to engage with it either as a game or a story.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's value in original experiences and game states being preserved for archival reasons, but games breaking aren't usually intended by the authors and are a product of undue pressures to get the game out before they can be thoroughly bug tested or fix complicated known issues. Like you can go and play the vanilla, untouched state of VtM: Bloodlines and marvel at how hosed it is, but that's a different experience from the version that could be made stable enough for people to engage with it either as a game or a story.

Exactly. I totally get the impulse to preserve in amber my nostalgic memories of playing Pokemon Red at night, on the highway, on a non-backlit screen, only getting second long glimpses of the screen as streetlights passed by...

but I would much rather play a romhacked Pokemon FireRed with all the glitches and bad balance fixed on my backlit smartphone.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Dabir posted:

Is there an explanation that isn't a total of five hours long?
you got the explanation from the spoilered single sentence lines in the thread already. these podcasts just deep dive into things that happen in the game and explain them in detail from people familiar with all the ancillary works, some of which never got translated, and side games which are all canon

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

KingKalamari posted:

The way the games have handled Hammerlock as LGBTQ+ NPC is honestly really good in that they've been both unafraid to make his sexuality obvious, while not letting his sexuality become the sole thing that defines him as a character.

Did they do anything to make Maya's death a bit more meaningful/less lovely? Because that was the thing that really bothered me about that game's plot. I'm not opposed to her being killed off, but I felt like she basically just showed up in 3 to die without much in the way of narrative impact. It felt like a poor rehash of Roland's death in 2, which worked much better because he'd had a much more prominent and active role in the game up until that point, so the audience was a bit more invested in him as a character.

No.

“You fought on,,, like cadets”
Oh yeah, old canon was big on sheev doing that poo poo. I don’t exactly hate the “battle meditation” stuff but it’s dumb. I also do prefer the “quicker” fall of the empire in new canon.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, FF7 Remake is so drat good. It has some pacing issues, especially in Shrina tower but the story is really good and all the characters are super charming and have great interactations with each other. Cloud is the ultimate dork and it's amazing. The amount of curve balls thrown your way is really surprising. Had the game just been a straight remake without any changes to the story I don't think it would have been as good, in my opinion.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Famethrowa posted:

Exactly. I totally get the impulse to preserve in amber my nostalgic memories of playing Pokemon Red at night, on the highway, on a non-backlit screen, only getting second long glimpses of the screen as streetlights passed by...

but I would much rather play a romhacked Pokemon FireRed with all the glitches and bad balance fixed on my backlit smartphone.

i agree, and as someone who is insane myself, i can absolutely see the augument that to experience a work of art in its original incarnation, having to work around warts and all, is to have a wholly unique audience experience, albiet one that was (usually) most appropriate for its time and place. that kind of nebulous nostalgia is impossible to replicate and distribute to the masses. its literally just an audience member's experience. its a great and nice way someone experienced it, not an objective or even rational/convenient/reasonable way to do so.

i love morrowind but no one on planet earth should play it unmodded. i love tv but im not watching a commercial break in 2021. y'know

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fabricated posted:

FF7R is easy to explain to anyone who watches too much anime

Did you watch any of the Eva Rebuilds? It's that. There you go.

It's very much not though; It's FFVII trying to be kept on the rails of the original story by what're basically Plot Ghosts, and the protagonists unwittingly breaking it. It's why the ghosts break Jesse's leg and bring Barret back to life; He never died in the original game, and she broke her leg so Cloud would go on the mission in her place. Anything is on the table here after how the first "episode" ends, including Aerith potentially actually surviving.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's very much not though; It's FFVII trying to be kept on the rails of the original story by what're basically Plot Ghosts, and the protagonists unwittingly breaking it. It's why the ghosts break Jesse's leg and bring Barret back to life; He never died in the original game, and she broke her leg so Cloud would go on the mission in her place. Anything is on the table here after how the first "episode" ends, including Aerith potentially actually surviving.

The entire thing is Advent Children Sephiroth trying to manipulate the outcome of the past so he wins. Aerith surviving means Holy might not go off, meaning he might win. Since Jenova is a cosmic horror and doesn't follow the rules that the reality on the planet follows and has infected the lifestream of the planet itself, it lets him pull some nonsensical temporal bullshit and try to change things. The plot ghosts are the spirit of the earth trying to keep the events that happened in order since they are like the immune system, and they know that due to the events unfolding the way they did, the planet survived, and that's the only thing they care about. Changing that puts the final outcome of the planet at risk, and so they don't want that to come to pass.

It's an ambitious as hell move to pull with one of the most beloved video games of all time, some serious balls on that dev team. I think they pulled it off really well, although I do agree the entire final sequence was extremely kingdom hearts-ey, both in enemy design and the music was just straight up some lost kingdom hearts game's final area music

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Ann Reardon debunked more bad viral videos and tormented her again husband recently, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYwnU1DuJOo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the thing about the art as experienced/observed philosophy is that video games aren't art so it doesn't matter :twisted:

hack it to 60fps, hack it to pieces. mod and put shadow the hedgehog in every game. use cheatengine. have! the time of your life!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jamie Faith posted:

I agree on the remembering part, for documenting history's sake, but not on the latter. Not to be churlish, but I don't think you'll ever convince people that playing a game with game-breaking bugs will be a better experience. I'm sure you're aware that position is, at least, somewhat radical?

I realize I'm bringing this back from a couple pages, but I don't think it's nearly as radical a position as you (or DoctorWhat) might think. There happen to be various communities that do draw heavy distinctions between various versions of the same game and which do celebrate the limitations and bugs inherent to individual versions. Most visibly, the emulation and speedrunning communities!

I also agree with Nuebot that sometimes "objectively" better versions of a game provide an experience different enough that it could none-the-less not be preferred. The PSX version of FFT is a solid example, as is the PS3 Dark souls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Invictus posted:

The entire thing is Advent Children Sephiroth trying to manipulate the outcome of the past so he wins. Aerith surviving means Holy might not go off, meaning he might win. Since Jenova is a cosmic horror and doesn't follow the rules that the reality on the planet follows and has infected the lifestream of the planet itself, it lets him pull some nonsensical temporal bullshit and try to change things. The plot ghosts are the spirit of the earth trying to keep the events that happened in order since they are like the immune system, and they know that due to the events unfolding the way they did, the planet survived, and that's the only thing they care about. Changing that puts the final outcome of the planet at risk, and so they don't want that to come to pass.

It's an ambitious as hell move to pull with one of the most beloved video games of all time, some serious balls on that dev team. I think they pulled it off really well, although I do agree the entire final sequence was extremely kingdom hearts-ey, both in enemy design and the music was just straight up some lost kingdom hearts game's final area music

Aside from the ending going way too Kingdom Hearts-ish due to the boss being irrelevant to the "proper" story and completely out of nowhere (it could've been done better to the same effect just with a more grounded showdown against Sephiroth on the bridge imo), it's really the best thing the dev team could've done. "You want a remake of Final Fantasy VII? Oh we'll re-make Final Fantasy VII alright... :unsmigghh:". The changes are done just subtly enough that you can tell they're being directed right at the fanbase to confuse the hell out of them.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

What the gently caress

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Junpei Hyde posted:

What the gently caress
let it into your heart

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i appreciate the attitude of 7r a lot bc it has the confidence to go where it does and allow follow-up episodes the room it does but w/o active contempt for the original, like it still has an obvious passion for ff7 and nails its highlights for a contemporary presentation and rounds home a lot of the wayward character and messaging that fell out of future media through canonizing popular perception, ironically getting a lot closer to something that carries the appeals of the original than basically anything else that came after it expressly by way of ignoring fandom takes lol

Violen fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Apr 19, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, FF7 Remake is so drat good. It has some pacing issues, especially in Shrina tower but the story is really good and all the characters are super charming and have great interactations with each other. Cloud is the ultimate dork and it's amazing. The amount of curve balls thrown your way is really surprising. Had the game just been a straight remake without any changes to the story I don't think it would have been as good, in my opinion.

I loved how much of a superstar it made Tifa. She really is the heart of the team, or indeed family. My only very minor gripe is aesthetic and wish she looked a bit more like she could win pull up contests and do insane MMA and everything. (An artist named Jen Bartel has that pretty well covered, though.)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw6GjAPpKuA

https://twitter.com/Hbomberguy/status/1384182615607889924

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Forgive me for posting about posters and hopefully this will be the last time I ever bring him up but thread favorite Eugene V Dubstep has just gotten a rare 4167 days (11 Years, 4 Months, 4 Weeks, 2 Days) probe! :vince:

So looks like we are done dealing with his BS, both in this thread and everywhere else as well. Alltho if you if see any new posters who are extremely pedantic and argue in bad faith and their regdate is like April 19, 2021, you'll know whos rereg it is lol

:sotw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDU_Txk06tM&ab_channel=MonstercatInstinct :sotw:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
The guy is one of those weird genre of posters who are dedicated to posting badly in a way that's neither funny nor creative until everyone despises them, but I really don't feel like we need an update when a Thread Enemy has been headshot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

He was commando knifed, much worse.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Obsessively posting about a dude who got probed elsewhere is weird don't do that

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Junpei Hyde posted:

Obsessively posting about a dude who got probed elsewhere is weird don't do that

Sorry. This guy has just poo poo up so many threads and done weird poo poo like hell dump on me or quote rape jokes at me so it's personal lol Like I said, I won't bring him up again.

Do you want me to delete the post?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Yardbomb posted:

He was commando knifed, much worse.

*doing the "Well what Is it?" gesture over the fading body of my most hated forum posters as Skrillex throbs in the background*

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
GIANTS
GIANTS
GIANTS

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

*doing the "Well what Is it?" gesture over the fading body of my most hated forum posters as Skrillex throbs in the background*

No.1 Special
Apr 4, 2011
Yhara Zayd - Collosal: Or How I Learned to Stop Stressing and Drop Bad Friends

https://youtu.be/MlE5WNzwkI4

Jimquisition - Why I'm Getting A Refund For Outriders

https://youtu.be/HHHbfhITSic

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

No.1 Special posted:

This is a good video and I'm glad to see someone taking about Collosal. It's a really good movie that flew under the radar when it came out, especially for an Anne Hathaway movie.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Flying Zamboni posted:

This is a good video and I'm glad to see someone taking about Collosal. It's a really good movie that flew under the radar when it came out, especially for an Anne Hathaway movie.

:same:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

No.1 Special posted:

I already knew the twist beforehand and seeing footage from the first half of this movie made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. I should really give this a proper watch.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdF5Cd-KbY

The Armchair Auteur really did not like Them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Some of these suggestions are incredible, and having them appear on-screen in off-black text on an off-white background makes it feel like they're already real.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Some of these suggestions are incredible, and having them appear on-screen in off-black text on an off-white background makes it feel like they're already real.

I want that one so bad.

LibrarianCroaker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZdF5Cd-KbY

The Armchair Auteur really did not like Them.

It's an incredibly disappointing show.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 19, 2021

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JordanKai posted:

Oh no, he's animorphing into Eric Baudour

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

FF7R is worth the price for the drag scene and musical number alone, so drat good.

Re EvD it's actually impressive how he managed to be so universally unliked. RIP he won't be missed

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JordanKai posted:

he is turning into a alt right youtuber. run.

hot take. i like bethesda as a publisher. i love arkane studios and machine games.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Bethesda as a publisher do some really good deals yeah, it's just their writers in development and stuff where the Bethesda Problems come in most of the time.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is turning into a alt right youtuber. run.

hot take. i like bethesda as a publisher. i love arkane studios and machine games.

I want to like MachineGames, but their output has steadily gotten worse after TNO, with Youngblood being their worst game yet. They really need to prove themselves again in my eyes. Arkane is great, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I have lots of time for DoctorWhat's original point, tbh. Technical limitations and accidents of time and place are essential factor of how we experience art and the pressure with which we're forced to accept questionably modernised "remakes" as 1:1 replacements concerns everyone when it's a Star Wars: Special Edition but somehow not when it's one of the perishingly few videogames with a claim to being art.

The 7th Guest posted:

the thing about the art as experienced/observed philosophy is that video games aren't art so it doesn't matter :twisted:

hack it to 60fps, hack it to pieces. mod and put shadow the hedgehog in every game. use cheatengine. have! the time of your life!

Do do this though. Destroy every original print of Star Wars you ever get your hands on and Hail Satan.