Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People who let the dishes pile up are single

People who do the dishes right away are childless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I have one big rear end sink and it's great because you can actually lay a whole sheet pan flat it in that thing. Can't do that with a double basin. I actually do my dishes nearly immediately, and I'm married with a kid. It takes way less time to just loving clean it immediately than to let it sit and pile up, exceptions only for things that really need to soak. I also have a dishwasher though, so over half my dishes go straight into that.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
I don't know who taught you all to wash dishes, but the obviously most correct way is
1) Load all dirty dishes into one basin, fill with soapy water
2) Wash each item, leaving silverware to soak until the end, then move to second basin, stacked neatly
3) Rinse all the soapy dishes in one go, letting the rinse water run over all the still soapy dishes and lowering the amount of water needed to rinse each subsequent item
4) Remove to draining rack

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Correct method

Load all dishes into dry sink
Wait until sink is full, minimum three days so food is completely fossilized
Load dishes onto counter
One by one, using the empty sink, spray down dishes until dried food falls off
Load in dishwasher
Start loading new dirty dishes in sink
When sink is full, start fully loaded dishwasher's cleaning cycle
Repeat

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Dave posted:

Absolutely couldn't imagine life without a double basin, there's like a lot of poo poo we wash that doesn't fit or isn't dishwasher safe that I don't want to immediately have to dry off and put away. Guess I'm lazy?

What the double basin crew doesn't realize is that their two basins are less volume than a large single basin. Go ahead and stack your nasty dishes in there, there's still enough room to wash something on top. Bonus, you keep the other dishes soaking in soapy water.

Plus I can fit my half sheet pans easily, and my giant cutting board.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We went with a 36" stainless farmhouse style sink in our kitchen and it is glorious. Haven't met the cookware that won't fit in it flat. We hand wash our cookware but all serving and flat ware goes in the dishwasher.

Like seriously, I can fit a five gallon bucket in there under the faucet. Tell me that isn't handy.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

NomNomNom posted:

We went with a 36" stainless farmhouse style sink in our kitchen and it is glorious.

Nthing. Moved from several homes with double basin and this is way better, especially with a high pressure sprayer. The ability to put 13x9s and baking sheets flat in the bottom is great for scrubbing/soaking, and the dishwasher handles everything else.

Stainless steel is also >>>>> ceramic.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

What the double basin crew doesn't realize is that their two basins are less volume than a large single basin. Go ahead and stack your nasty dishes in there, there's still enough room to wash something on top. Bonus, you keep the other dishes soaking in soapy water..

Yeah but then the water hits a spoon and now you're covered in watered down ranch dressing

Where's my two basin sink gang tag

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
So you guys just put a bunch of plates in some soapy water until it's all good and filthy, then rinse that off, and it's clean?

Double Basin Gang probably draws 1 bath for the whole family to use

"Rinse off in the shower after", is what Double Basin Gang says

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Double basins suck, just use a bin if you need a second soaking tub stuff

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KS posted:

Nthing. Moved from several homes with double basin and this is way better, especially with a high pressure sprayer. The ability to put 13x9s and baking sheets flat in the bottom is great for scrubbing/soaking, and the dishwasher handles everything else.

Stainless steel is also >>>>> ceramic.

Just put that poo poo all in the dishwasher as-is. Whatever comes out has earned its place on your sheet pan/13x9. Or then scrub the much reduces few little bits that stayed on through some miracle.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Upgrading to a single basin is on my project board. I've got an ancient cast iron enamel coated thing right now that needs to go.

I get the appeal of having a conceptual divider in a sink, but I bet there's some simple thin things you could hang in the middle to solve that.

Also stop rinsing. The correct method is scrape into trash/compost/disposal --> dishwasher.

The sink should be for pots and boards.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 19, 2021

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Why do you guys need to soak dishes so regularly

If you need to soak in a single basin just rinse off all the dishes, get em in the dishwasher, and then soak the larger items that need to loosen up

What in the actual christ

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
A single basin undermount stainless sink was the only request I had in our new kitchen. Big enough to soak and wash the occasional lasagna pan and pots and pans. Smaller cookware and daily dishes go in the dishwasher and get run at bedtime, unloaded in the morning before we leave the house.

My parents had a two basin enameled cast iron overmount, and all the previous places I've lived were overmount two basin stainless. They all sucked.

I'll also fight for my glass top electric range. If I need fire to cook, I've got a gas grill outside. Any downsides to the glass top are outweighed by the ease of cleanup, since my wife seems to boil over or spill on it every time we cook.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

StormDrain posted:

What the double basin crew doesn't realize is that their two basins are less volume than a large single basin. Go ahead and stack your nasty dishes in there, there's still enough room to wash something on top. Bonus, you keep the other dishes soaking in soapy water.

Plus I can fit my half sheet pans easily, and my giant cutting board.

Well no we stack the second basin with a lot of akward stuff that would eat into the 'working area' if it was a single basin.

Feels like there's a wide variance of double basin soldiers in the army. The sane kind: The first basin is for rinsing, the second basin is for drying. There is no mountains of dirty dishes sitting around in this model.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've made my entire kitchen and dining room one big wet room with floor drains equipped with commercial grade 10 HP garbage disposals and multiple waterfall shower heads in the ceiling. After every meal I pull a red chain and all of my problems wash away at 60 gallons per minute.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I added a stainless steel sink to my house. Technically, it's in the basement, but it's right below the kitchen! One basin and everything. There's even induction!

:haw:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Triple basin or bust

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What's next? F-f-FOUR basins?!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Queen Victorian posted:

Triple basin or bust

SpartanIvy posted:

I've made my entire kitchen and dining room one big wet room with floor drains equipped with commercial grade 10 HP garbage disposals and multiple waterfall shower heads in the ceiling. After every meal I pull a red chain and all of my problems wash away at 60 gallons per minute.

ho fan posted:

My home buying tours are off to a great start, the first home I toured had a sink in the master bedroom not shown in the photos and was also the site of a recent unsolved murder

Mixing threads with the home buying thread but I feel these are related posts.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

H110Hawk posted:

Mixing threads with the home buying thread but I feel these are related posts.

My basement also has a murder room:

Light is 100% camera flash. It's pitch black otherwise. And yes that is a dirt floor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Queen Victorian posted:

Light is 100% camera flash. It's pitch black otherwise. And yes that is a dirt floor.

Oh, hah! Your house is the murder-room house, awesome.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

The Dave posted:

Well no we stack the second basin with a lot of akward stuff that would eat into the 'working area' if it was a single basin.

Feels like there's a wide variance of double basin soldiers in the army. The sane kind: The first basin is for rinsing, the second basin is for drying. There is no mountains of dirty dishes sitting around in this model.

Hrmm get less awkward stuff?

Also when I upgraded my sink it went from an 8" deep double basin to a 10" deep single. The depth alone was a huge difference. Losing the center divider meant my giant items fit.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Queen Victorian posted:

That would be the perfect room for activities if it were finished. Have you consideres flooring it with some lovely carpet?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Hrmm get less awkward stuff?

Also when I upgraded my sink it went from an 8" deep double basin to a 10" deep single. The depth alone was a huge difference. Losing the center divider meant my giant items fit.

Yeah, I think a lot of this has a lot to do with the size of your stove/pots/oven habits. We've got a weird kitchen where we've gota 2 basin sink that is the one that mostly gets used but a famrhouse sink also and I love that thing for cleaning big stuff. Assuming I also have a dishwasher I'm pretty sure I'd always choose a larger dingle basin over a double basin sink now, but they both have their places and I think what you have kinda determines how you "run" your kitchen.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Queen Victorian posted:

I feel like you're flexing on me with your cavernous crawl space depth

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Queen Victorian posted:

Triple basin or bust

Is this where you tan the hides of your victims after you're done using the murder room, cross posting from the knife thread

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Queen Victorian posted:

My basement also has a murder room, complete with a

Nice, we also have a dimly lit basement murder room

This pic does show off something I love about my house that nobody gets to see. Our foundation is made of granite slabs - the topmost rock in that picture is probably the single biggest stone. about 16” thick, 6 feet deep, and nearly 20 feet across - continues on the other side of the murder room wall where the ducts are.

Our murder room has a window though. It was for wood storage. The wood chute is still in place, just out of frame to my left in that first pic. (The door next to it is an interior kitchen door that I removed, which was a thread topic a few weeks back)

The window at the top swings open from the outside, you just drop the logs in

Bonus pic of the wood burning stove all that wood was for

However, the basement murder room isn’t even the place in my house most likely to be featured in a horror movie

That honor goes to the outhouse in the attached barn

The guy who owned the house in 1885 carved his name in the shitter which is real neat

Harvey ‘85

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's next? F-f-FOUR basins?!

https://www.theonion.com/gently caress-everything-were-doing-five-blades-1819584036

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

House ownership thread: opinions on how to wash dishes

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

tater_salad posted:

House ownership thread: opinions on how to wash dishes

well it definitely doesn’t start with a triple sink, wherein the middle one is half the size of the ones in the wings.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Enough sink chat, how about some advice on how I should build a bike shed?

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Smugworth posted:

How many sinks will it have?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Smugworth posted:

Well first you need to decide what color to paint it :allears:

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

Well first you need to decide what color to paint it :allears:

I think we need to decide sink color before anything else

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Gonna paint this shed, gonna paint it fine, gonna use emulsion because the paint wood is pine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Smugworth posted:

First off what's a bike shed.

Second, you wait until next year when lumber is reasonably priced if you can.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

StormDrain posted:

Google Cyril Parkinson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_triviality