Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
we are just tough on crime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I'm sure the jury's decision will reflect this

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Thoughtless posted:

I don't know why America doesn't. Unless the answer is racism.

The answer to "why does America not do thing that makes sense" is nearly always racism.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Speaking of despotic racism

https://twitter.com/mndailynews/status/1383875205731217418?s=20

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

suck my woke dick posted:

There really ought to be a law saying the police have to let suspects go if the risk of proceeding with the arrest (both to the suspect and to bystanders) is out of proportion with the alleged crime.

Police discontinue high-speed pursuits frequently for this reason.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Thoughtless posted:

Some other countries do have laws like that. Like in Sweden, police have to abort car chases and such if it would significantly increase the risk of the driver killing himself or others. And they're not a serial killer or something, probably.

I don't know why America doesn't. Unless the answer is racism.

quote:

While national standards have largely sought to curtail the practice of high-speed chases, the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) seems to be going in the other direction. It not only allows for the high-speed chases, but it also allows troopers to shoot at vehicles that are fleeing. While DPS policies limit gun use to situations in which the officer believes a suspect will cause harm, they claim the occasional use of firearms from a vehicle is still sometimes necessary.

And while many police agencies around the nation have limited chases to only the most dangerous criminals and crimes, in Texas, there is virtually no distinction made between offenders who flee, which means they chase petty criminals just as rigorously as they do criminals who pose a serious danger to society. Their rationale is that anyone who attempts to evade law enforcement has committed a felony and endangered the public, and should be pursued.

https://htxtriallawyers.com/what-is-the-law-regarding-high-speed-chases-in-texas/

:texas:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Because in America I daresay most would admit, eve those who pretend that our justice system is good and not racist, that the primary purpose of our police force is to apprehend and punish the guilty, not to protect the innocent.

It's part of why and how our nation is broken. We are far more concerned with meting out punishment and violence than we are with protecting the innocent or preventing misdoing in the first place.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Just a random poo poo rural R proposing this. It's not going anywhere, thankfully.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

suck my woke dick posted:

There really ought to be a law saying the police have to let suspects go if the risk of proceeding with the arrest (both to the suspect and to bystanders) is out of proportion with the alleged crime.

I live in a not-great town, kids steal cars. Every couple of months the police spot a kid in a stolen car on the freeway, chase them, and then cause a wreck in a very busy intersection right off the freeway, often causing fatalities. You'd think after they'd killed the fourth or fifth person in a year doing this that they would just stop but they seem incapable of making that leap and instead just keep murdering people.

e: They did stop for about a year when they killed 2 toddlers doing this but they started up a few months ago and someone else has already died this year.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

happyhippy posted:

Chauvin faces 3 charges, second-degree unintentional murder, third-degree murder, and second-degree manslaughter.
Second-degree murder is upto 40 years in prison.
Third-degree is max 25 years.
Manslaughter is max 10 years.

My guess if less than 10 then there will be some.
If its less than 5, then things going to get hosed.

Keep in mind that if found guilty, he won't be sentenced right away, that's probably at least a month or two down the road. He will be sent directly to jail while he waits though.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Konstantin posted:

Keep in mind that if found guilty, he won't be sentenced right away, that's probably at least a month or two down the road. He will be sent directly to jail while he waits though.

Any chance he'll just be whisked from jail to a cop safehouse and vanish like Kyle, on the off chance he's convicted?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SchnorkIes posted:

Any chance he'll just be whisked from jail to a cop safehouse and vanish like Kyle, on the off chance he's convicted?

kyle rittenhouse has not been convicted nor has he missed his trial date

he's making a bit of a laughingstock of the bail system even by white male standards but it's quite different from what you're proposing

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 19, 2021

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

The Lord of Hats posted:

Just a random poo poo rural R proposing this. It's not going anywhere, thankfully.

Its a direct echo to bills that are being passed in states like Florida and elsewhere. So while it might not progress in Minnesota, thats not why they presented the bill. They did it to echo to Police and their Red Voters to show what they could do for them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

kyle rittenhouse has not been convicted nor has he missed his trial date

He did disappear, and was basically in a unknown location. A benefit that only he gets, no other perpetrator. Any other suspect would be in jail for a safehouse.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
... is this dude's defense right now seriously "yes I know all those doctors told you that such a small amount of meth in his system wouldn't have had any effect on Mr. Floyd but what do THEY know?"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Getting cut off mid-sentence by the Judge so everyone can get lunch isn't a great look lol.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Sky Shadowing posted:

... is this dude's defense right now seriously "yes I know all those doctors told you that such a small amount of meth in his system wouldn't have had any effect on Mr. Floyd but what do THEY know?"

Yes
https://twitter.com/UR_Ninja/status/1384223930777436165

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
in fairness i don't think there's a vaguely possible defense of chauvin that isn't clownish and/or gross

nelson's options consist of "look like an idiot", "look like a monster", and "throw the case", and he appears to have picked both of the first two

Thom12255 posted:

Getting cut off mid-sentence by the Judge so everyone can get lunch isn't a great look lol.

it is, however, very funny

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
I feel like all these murder 2/3 etc laws in various states exist specifically so that you can feel good about letting basically anyone off the hook. So vague, so hard to pin down if you weren't there. See Rittenhouse also

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This rebuttal argument is excellent.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm starting to think he is only gonna get manslaughter. And that's not enough.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Kirios posted:

I'm still thinking at least 1 person is going to reject everything.

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
was amber guyger one of the first cops to be convicted in years? I remember there was developing public sentiment against police killings before the Floyd case altho obviously not on the same level

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

GreyjoyBastard posted:

in fairness i don't think there's a vaguely possible defense of chauvin that isn't clownish and/or gross

nelson's options consist of "look like an idiot", "look like a monster", and "throw the case", and he appears to have picked both of the first two

See I don't think that's true, Nelson seems to have done a better job for the defence than the prosecution team have done for the prosecution. I think he's done well enough that just from the arguments presented Chauvin getting Guilty but at the lowest possible charge looks the most likely outcome and that's only because 'Floyd was unconscious and Chauvin still didn't lift the knee' is so unambiguously wrong.

But who knows. Guilty at the lowest charge feels the most likely to me but gently caress knows what's going on with the jury, 2nd murder could still happen and Chauvin walks could still happen.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Kirios posted:

Why do you think this? It seems like the closing arguments is looking better for the prosecution.

Gaupo Guacho posted:

was amber guyger one of the first cops to be convicted in years? I remember there was developing public sentiment against police killings before the Floyd case altho obviously not on the same level

Mohamed Noor was convicted. Which .... you know.... minority cop killing a white woman in a good neighborhood.....

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I was going to say Slager, but then I looked it up on wikipedia and saw that he actually pled out.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Kalit posted:

Why do you think this? It seems like the closing arguments is looking better for the prosecution.

The reasonable human being in me thinks this, but the jaded cspammer in me thinks the average American is a deranged brownshirt, so it's really hard for me to assess how arguments will land anymore

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sky Shadowing posted:

Is it just me or does the defense showing long videos of George Floyd screaming out that he can't breathe and begging the officers to let him breathe, and just saying "REASONABLE FORCE" seem like a very counter-productive defense strategy?

A dramatic rendering of his closing argument's effectiveness:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICwHhj92WOk

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I wonder how long it will take for a verdict to be returned. :laffo: if it's decided tonight.

E: vv Ooh, that is good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1384248466809913346

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
What is this about "belittling of the defense?" I didn't watch the closing arguments.

Nelson is calling for a mistrial due to "Prosecutorial misconduct."

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

Velocity Raptor posted:

I had a hearty :lol: at that

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Velocity Raptor posted:

What is this about "belittling of the defense?" I didn't watch the closing arguments.

not a law guy but that sounds desperate as poo poo

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Velocity Raptor posted:

its a hail mary to try again. i don't have a lot of confidence for a conviction personally just because its a cop but it is a pretty big hint that the defense thinks he screwed up big time.

GreatestLurker
Sep 12, 2011

Gaupo Guacho posted:

not a law guy but that sounds desperate as poo poo

Or mistrial because of Maxine Waters' comments the other day.

Even the judge conceded the point that that was possible.

Or seemingly now he dismissed that, I'm not sure.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Velocity Raptor posted:

I wonder how long it will take for a verdict to be returned. :laffo: if it's decided tonight.

E: vv Ooh, that is good.

It's twee dogshit, just like putting literal children and unprepped civies on the witness stand was twee dogshit. The prosecution seems to be more concerned with emotive brand-building than winning the specific case.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're actually brain geniuses, depends what the jury decides I guess, but there's a bit of my brain that thinks the prosecution is doing culture war poo poo even at the risk of weakening their case.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
"Motion for mistrial is denied." :toot:

E:

Vitamin P posted:

It's twee dogshit, just like putting literal children and unprepped civies on the witness stand was twee dogshit. The prosecution seems to be more concerned with emotive brand-building than winning the specific case.

Maybe I'm wrong and they're actually brain geniuses, depends what the jury decides I guess, but there's a bit of my brain that thinks the prosecution is doing culture war poo poo even at the risk of weakening their case.

:shrug: It's a memorable way to close out arguments and it sticks with people. I think that'll go a long way staying at the front of the jury's mind while they deliberate.

Velocity Raptor fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 19, 2021

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

its a hail mary to try again. i don't have a lot of confidence for a conviction personally just because its a cop but it is a pretty big hint that the defense thinks he screwed up big time.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm guessing it's just to get these objections on the record for a future appeals attempt? I don't think anyone actually thinks that the judge would throw out the case at this point.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Okay he ain't walking.

Edit \/ Yes. but her heart is obviously in the right place

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 19, 2021

Gaupo Guacho
Aug 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
maxine waters is a loving dumbass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU