Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Vince MechMahon posted:

She's from Long island, dude.

The way people from Long Island pronounce "Lawwn GUYlind" is powerful and frightening to my West Coasterly ears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Vince MechMahon posted:

She's from Long island, dude. I wouldn't be surprised if she was playing down the accent to not sound like Fran Drescher.
Oh cool that totally explains why she jettisoned any hint of her former style after she got a few film bookings, makes sense thanks

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1384177602118651908?s=20
I don't care that this is supposedly Day 1 of shooting, I still don't believe this is actually coming to theaters.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah it's pretty amazing actors sometimes speak differently depending on the movie

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Going to the mat to uphold the cultural bonafides of Robert Van Winkle. It's definitely not appropriate, says fan.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
..."Iron Fist" is trending on Twitter rn which is really funny. :xd:

Which actually makes sense, 'cuz it's exactly like Marvel was surreptitiously listening in on psy-op style on all those "You can't make Iron Fist Asian! That would be racist!" conversations, where the responses were "Uh yeah you can, and here's exactly how you do it: [it]" and then they went and did it exactly. Focusing on the Asian-American experience, the tear between two worlds, having a heritage that doesn't define you but you still feel obligated to honor, the whole nine yards, and as a bonus you don't have to feel as embarrassed (as you well should) when you portray openly Chinese imagery, costumes, and set pieces all centered around a white lead.

Note, I'm not trying to over-praise Marvel here. Their track record on this was urine-poor up until now (never forget the Ancient One bullshit, etc), but it does go to show sometimes you need to trip over a bad break...or two...or three...before finally getting it right. We might not be getting this like the way we're getting this if all the conversations around Iron Fist et al hadn't happened before this point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have viewed this trailer and I can independently verify that yes, it looks awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I think people are talking about Iron Fist because that show went 2 seasons without having a single good kung fu fight and this trailer whips it in the rear end in that department.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Oh cool that totally explains why she jettisoned any hint of her former style after she got a few film bookings, makes sense thanks

It's probably a very calculated business decision to be more marketable to middle America.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cael posted:

https://twitter.com/wbpictures/status/1384177602118651908?s=20
I don't care that this is supposedly Day 1 of shooting, I still don't believe this is actually coming to theaters.

I can't tell if this is for a huge blockbuster movie or for the TV show.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

twistedmentat posted:

I can't tell if this is for a huge blockbuster movie or for the TV show.

:lol: I thought it was for the TV show then I realized the logo was way different. It seems they are keeping the lighting yellow for this movie, so that might be my initial confusion.

Anyways, does someone know what's the song in the Shang-chin teaser?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Desperado Bones posted:

:lol: I thought it was for the TV show then I realized the logo was way different. It seems they are keeping the lighting yellow for this movie, so that might be my initial confusion.

Anyways, does someone know what's the song in the Shang-chin teaser?

Yea, like for a huge movie, that is really basic.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm late to the party but fuckin hell the Shang Chi trailer is so goddamned good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I think people are talking about Iron Fist because that show went 2 seasons without having a single good kung fu fight and this trailer whips it in the rear end in that department.

I thought they were talking about Iron Fist because there's a brief shot in the trailer of someone with glowing hands fighting.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Michelle Yeoh's character Jiang Nan is apparently part of Mandarin's backstory, and wears an awful lot of green and yellow. So I'd like to think Iron Fist was trending because people were like "holy poo poo the first cinematic Iron Fist is going to be Michelle Yeoh!?"

But it's twitter so it's more likely "this looks great but imagine if it starred a white guy!"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Or could be, "Wow, Iron Fist was loving garbage - Marvel will maybe get kung-fu right this time!"

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

theironjef posted:

"holy poo poo the first cinematic Iron Fist is going to be Michelle Yeoh!?"

don't get my hopes up

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

Shang-Chi is just a guy. Although this movie seems to be leaning hard into the Ten Rings having powers and I wouldn't be surprised if the movie ends with Shang-Chi in possession of them. In the comics there's not really anything that ties them together except for an out of continuity mini series during Secret Wars which this movie actually might be drawing some things from it looks like.

Isn't he the son of the Mandarin or something

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Vintersorg posted:

Or could be, "Wow, Iron Fist was loving garbage - Marvel will maybe get kung-fu right this time!"

It's this. Check Twitter if you want, but it's this.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Shageletic posted:

Isn't he the son of the Mandarin or something

In the movie, yes.

Daduzi posted:

It's this. Check Twitter if you want, but it's this.

I checked Twitter and it seems that the Iron Fist trend is about kpop.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

When I checked it was mostly "now put Danny in the sequel" stuff.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm pretty confident that even if the MCU wasn't trying, they wouldn't make something that was Iron Fist-level bad

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm pretty confident that even if the MCU wasn't trying, they wouldn't make something that was Iron Fist-level bad

One does wonder how much of MUTV’s problems can be laid directly at Loeb’s feet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dawgstar posted:

One does wonder how much of MUTV’s problems can be laid directly at Loeb’s feet.
Wasn't a lot of it also Ike Perlmutter

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Netflix was running those shows.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Netflix was running those shows.

I don't think this is correct. I'm pretty sure they didn't run or own them, and that's part of the reason they didn't renew.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think there's some reasons to be hopeful of Shang-chi. The biggest IMO is that the main star has a stunt acting background, so they can actually do their own fighting. The guy in charge of cinematography also has done a bunch of solid work.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

theironjef posted:

When I checked it was mostly "now put Danny in the sequel" stuff.

Weird, here's what I get:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have Danny and Shang-Chi fought in 616?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Rhyno posted:

Have Danny and Shang-Chi fought in 616?

Not in any serious way. Luke Cage is convinced Danny could take Shang Chi down.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Not in any serious way. Luke Cage is convinced Danny could take Shang Chi down.

The power of the Iron Fist is no joke. Since Immortal his power levels have been amped way up. I'd lean towards Danny having the edge. Shang is likely the better martial artist but Danny can knock your soul into New Jersey.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

https://twitter.com/DaveBautista/status/1384579161893789698?s=20

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I always looked at it as if Danny hit Shang with the fist, it's over. But Shang is good enough he wouldn't get hit with it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

you miss 100% of the shots you don't take

probably wouldv'e been a better bane than tom hardy was

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Vince MechMahon posted:

I always looked at it as if Danny hit Shang with the fist, it's over. But Shang is good enough he wouldn't get hit with it.

It's this. Danny might have an edge in that he's mastered like the only martial art that Shang Chi hasn't but Shang Chi has beaten people twice as powerful he is because that's his thing, he's unbeatable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

He is the MASTER of Kung Fu, one might say.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Imagine passing on the potential new Arnold

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Imagine passing on the potential new Arnold

That would be like refusing to promote someone who's working in the biggest franchise on the planet! Ridiculous!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it's understandable. They just did Bane a few years ago, and DC/WB would never just go back to the same well over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If the Pattinson Batman does well, it’d be cool to see him get tossed around by Bautista.