Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Vandar posted:

It never ends.

Holy loving poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarkstarIV posted:

But yeah, Cornette poo poo all over Asuka and her character work in that Rhea/Asuka review video as well. Claiming that the screaming is awful, the goofy faces are the worst, the facepaint is awful, the "vito scotty loving gilligan's island japanese soldier impression", and her just screaming gibberish. He also implied in previous rants that all joshi wrestlers are like Asuka and ham up their Japanese behavior.

"Goofy faces and screaming is awful!" Also: "The Road Warriors were one of the best tag teams ever!"

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The pure nature of wrestling naturally includes goofy faces no matter how serious the persona is supposed to be, even more so than guitar faces.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If AEW beats the next season of South Park in the ratings Jim Cornette will vanish in a puff of smoke.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vandar posted:

It never ends.

It's kind of funny that this dipshit artist couldn't find a reference for Joe that doesn't make him come off as going "WTF is this racist nonsense?"

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
People talk about The Simpsons wearing out its welcome ages ago but South Park needs to go first

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

People talk about The Simpsons wearing out its welcome ages ago but South Park needs to go first

Simpsons is just milquetoast and bland. South Park has caused actual, quantifiably harm to society as a whole with it's disingenuous "lol both sides ha ha climate change is as likely to exist as a cryptid no difference between Bush and Gore lulz you're stupid if you care about anything" garbage.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

Gaz-L posted:

It's kind of funny that this dipshit artist couldn't find a reference for Joe that doesn't make him come off as going "WTF is this racist nonsense?"

i understand not giving Jim the benefit of the doubt but if you actually listen to the video he's talking about TNA wasting the best years of Joe's career and doing stuff like the fire dance entrance that he supposedly didn't want to have (and blaming it all on Russo) so this is kind of the intended effect

of course it rings hollow after fantasy booking an angle where Jacob Fatu comes into AEW as the Scary Ethnic Heel to beat up Jon Moxley where Jim would cut a promo about how white boys from the midwest aren't tough but Ethnic Guys from California are tough and scary

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I feel like even if these things make sense in the context of what they're talking about a non-racist person would look at the art they've commissioned and be like "hang on a second, maybe not"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
For all it's faults, I'm not sure TNA's loving up of Joe even comes along racist lines. Like, I suppose the 'Nation of Violence/penis tattoo' stuff kinda does, but that was when he was managed by Taz, right? I think they were going more for Taz's whole Path of Rage thing. Other than that, I think he did a traditional dance for an entrance at one PPV and it was handled pretty sensitively from what I recall and came off pretty cool, especially compared to some of the poo poo WWE pulls.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

He issued a statement on the Sasha/Bianca match, and it was about as half assed of an apology as you can get, and basically at the end it was a moot point because he pretty much walked back his apology, defending his WNBA analogy and how its awful that women's wrestling is more interesting than men's wrestling these days, and that its sad that wrestling has fallen this far.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

i understand not giving Jim the benefit of the doubt but if you actually listen to the video he's talking about TNA wasting the best years of Joe's career and doing stuff like the fire dance entrance that he supposedly didn't want to have (and blaming it all on Russo) so this is kind of the intended effect
...wasn't the fire dance entrance done only once or twice, and even then, only using the fire dance troupe consisting of Joe's immediate family?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

...wasn't the fire dance entrance done only once or twice, and even then, only using the fire dance troupe consisting of Joe's immediate family?

I think it was done at BFG 2005 and then one more time after.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Yeah, and as far as I can recall Joe talked about being happy to be be able to do it with his family up on stage, at least at the time.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Joe seemed proud of the BFG entrance and his only complaint I've heard about the match is it had to be so short.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it seemed like an actually good way to acknowledge Joe's heritage and cultural background without making him a caricature and doing something to make their big PPV seem special.

MassRafTer posted:

Joe seemed proud of the BFG entrance and his only complaint I've heard about the match is it had to be so short.
Oh poo poo, that was the one with Liger, right? Yeah, I get the idea they were going for, given Joe was being pushed as this unstoppable monster, but him and Liger going 20+ mins would've been rad.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, it seemed like an actually good way to acknowledge Joe's heritage and cultural background without making him a caricature and doing something to make their big PPV seem special.

Oh poo poo, that was the one with Liger, right? Yeah, I get the idea they were going for, given Joe was being pushed as this unstoppable monster, but him and Liger going 20+ mins would've been rad.

It was because the show had to be changed up because Nash pulled out of the main event and they needed to add a title shot battle royal.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the dancers were Joe's family and he was a dancer himself as a kid.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

I saw him do the fire dance entrance a couple times in the indies in the early 2000's before TNA . The idea that he doesnt like it is kind of dumb

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If Cornette is blaming the dance on Russo, even if for some reason Joe did not want to do it in TNA against all other evidence that he liked it... Russo wasn't booking TNA in October of 2005 when he first did it there.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Samoa joe used to be part of a traditional dance group that toured the world including communist germany

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regardless if anything about Russo or booking or whatever, why is the argument stuck on Samoa Joe himself and not the fact that putting cornette in that outfit is bordering on the same poo poo as ace Ventura: when nature calls

White dudes dressing up in tribal outfits for a laugh isn’t something that i personally think is cool, and the thumbnail is therefore not good imo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

rotinaj posted:

Regardless if anything about Russo or booking or whatever, why is the argument stuck on Samoa Joe himself and not the fact that putting cornette in that outfit is bordering on the same poo poo as ace Ventura: when nature calls

White dudes dressing up in tribal outfits for a laugh isn’t something that i personally think is cool, and the thumbnail is therefore not good imo

Because that was the defense, that the picture made sense in context, and a bunch of people are now pointing out that it sounds like the context Jim was talking about is made up by him. It's the fastest and easiest way to point out how full of poo poo he is.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I thought we all mostly agreed the thumbnail was still racist as hell and were just deciding if Jim is lying too.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
My bad, because gently caress that dude.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, the basic gist of the conversation has been:

"That picture is really racist"
"Actually it kind of makes sense in context."
"That context isn't true"

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Does Cornette actually specify to the artist exactly what he wants for the pic or does the artist just listen to the show and draw what they think would be funny?

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Hoss Corncave posted:

Does Cornette actually specify to the artist exactly what he wants for the pic or does the artist just listen to the show and draw what they think would be funny?

No idea if he specifies it, but its not a good look either way especially considering some of the thumbnails he has up for other topics like Tony Khan or Jade Cargill.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Jim Cornette blaming Russo for stuff that happened when Russo wasn't there but Cornette was rules.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

As a bit of a palette cleanser, here's video of Joe's entrance from BFG2005:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYBaoj1hWG0

Video quality is pretty bad, but you can still tell how much Joe enjoys doing that entrance.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah that's basically honoring where he comes from

Something like apollo crews or what they did with Tony atlas, on the other hand

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Cornette intentionally goes for the opposite of whatever is a 'good look' because it keeps his broke brained moron fans sayin' HELL YEAH BROTHER on twitter and facebook

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Orange Carlisle posted:

Cornette intentionally goes for the opposite of whatever is a 'good look' because it keeps his broke brained moron fans sayin' HELL YEAH BROTHER on twitter and facebook

It’s that super outdated but not technically incorrect mindset that any promotion is good promotion, right? Except who the gently caress is Jim being the heel to draw against

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

rotinaj posted:

It’s that super outdated but not technically incorrect mindset that any promotion is good promotion, right? Except who the gently caress is Jim being the heel to draw against

In his head? The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Tony Khan, and AEW

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

smikey posted:

In his head? The Young Bucks, Kenny Omega, Tony Khan, and AEW

Except he also rails against WWE as well, which doesn't exactly draw the admiration of their fanbase either. So it seems more like he's just trying to piss everyone off because it gives him more ad revenue whenever people watch his videos.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
I was curious enough to listen to the segment and I may be losing my mind, but he wasn't using his bullshit voice and it sounded like he may have just confused the fire dancers with the dick tattoo or something else? And he specifically recounted Joe telling him it bothered him which, even by JC's standards, feels like something that would be a bad idea to knowingly make up.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBXe0zBI5kI

Better quality version of the entrance.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Cornette’s fanbase are nostalgic for a type of wrestling that may never have existed- an idealized form of the territories where there was no silliness, no comedy, strong kayfabe, etc. There is one way to do things and that is how they did them Back in the Day. Anything else is killing the business.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Take 10 minutes to watch Gorgeous George and you'd know that silly gimmick characters have been part of this carny business since the very beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kunabomber posted:

Take 10 minutes to watch Gorgeous George and you'd know that silly gimmick characters have been part of this carny business since the very beginning.

Ok I did and all I heard was a bunch of goons flushing toilets and making fat jokes???