Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Aston Villa
Barnsley
Bournemouth
Brentford
Brighton
Burnley
Cardiff
Crystal Palace
Everton
Fulham
Leeds
Leicester
Newcastle
Norwich
Reading
Sheff Utd
Southampton
Swansea
Watford
West Brom
West Ham
Wolves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

bawfuls posted:

yup, all of these are inevitable if this gets off the ground

do the players have a union? If not they'd better form one asap

The PFA has been around for well over a century.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

mistermojo posted:

wait I don't understand, so if you're a founding member you can't be knocked out? so if you finish in the bottom five some qualifying team above you has to qualify again?

or is each season the 15 founders and then 5 teams qualify so it doesnt matter how they did the previous season

There's no way the 5 rotating teams thing lasts or even works. They're selling it to broadcasters as a 20 team league and will expand with permanent members as soon as someone that isn't already included blinks.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Vando posted:

It's never going to be coefficients, it's going to be whoever opens the most valuable markets or otherwise brings financial reward to the rest somehow.

oh yeah, that's just as a reference point for who's in and who's out among the current top 50-odd teams, if celtic ever got in on merit I'll give you the keys to my car

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Where do we think teams 13 through 15 are going to be dragged from? With Bayern, Borussia Dortmund, PSG and Porto all saying they aren't going to be involved who does that leave?

I can't see any club joining without a 'domestic' rival of some sort, so if there's no Porto surely Benfica wouldn't consider it? How about Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV? Those 3 are a bit of a push but probably more believable than Anderlecht/Club Brugge/Standard Liege ......

I'd like to think they (the 12) couldn't bribe anyone else into joining them but lol

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

mistermojo posted:

wait I don't understand, so if you're a founding member you can't be knocked out? so if you finish in the bottom five some qualifying team above you has to qualify again?

or is each season the 15 founders and then 5 teams qualify so it doesnt matter how they did the previous season

15 teams play football where winning doesn’t matter and share profits according to predefined contracts.

Each year, they invite 5 random garbage teams such that teams like Arsenal or Tottenham look less like clowns. These teams do nit get shares of profits.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

bawfuls posted:

Players have a pretty strong union in FIFPRO and most domestic leagues have their own players unions as well.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

biglads posted:

Where do we think teams 13 through 15 are going to be dragged from? With Bayern, Borussia Dortmund, PSG and Porto all saying they aren't going to be involved who does that leave?

I can't see any club joining without a 'domestic' rival of some sort, so if there's no Porto surely Benfica wouldn't consider it? How about Ajax/Feyenoord/PSV? Those 3 are a bit of a push but probably more believable than Anderlecht/Club Brugge/Standard Liege ......

I'd like to think they (the 12) couldn't bribe anyone else into joining them but lol

Would they even be allowed to in european leagues given whats happened already? Strongest contenders for me rn are teams outside europe

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

FullLeatherJacket posted:

people from cspam got real mad when dudes said player salaries, but totally player salaries

yeah, everyone thinks this angle means greedy players but it's actually greedy owners aiming for unsustainable glory, fuelled by the teams at the top who can pump the most money in

come to think of it the end result of this being the nuking of the Big 12 and the realisation amongst owners that you actually can't grow revenues indefinitely is something that might help the game immensely, but then again the world is cursed so that's never going to happen

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

wait until US Arsenal fans realize that Stan Kroenke is a cheap fucker and only wants this Super League for the easy payouts, and Arsenal gets clowned on by the European elite every year and ends up in the bottom half every season
I might be way late on this but many US Arsenal fans are probably very familiar with Stan Kroenke because he's been famously cheap with the multiple pro sports teams he's owned in the USA, including the one he moved across two time zones in order to get a better stadium deal.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 20, 2021

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

bawfuls posted:

I don't see how a draft could work.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Just lol if you think PSG is some sort of moralistic group; the only reason they haven’t been in to this is because BeIN has broadcast rights to the CL and they don’t want to devalue that by leaving. As soon as that poo poo dries up they’ll be in this thing.

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Haramstufe Rot posted:

Another interesting factor would be teams in Spain and Italy that are not included.

But for Italian or Spanish teams, international and eventually domestic Football is pretty much over. One would expect some ruffled feathers

A lot of this teams don’t rely that much on Madrid or Barcelona for revenue as tv rights in Spain are per club basis so they are getting paid a pittance.

I feel that those two teams loving off and leaving might be a good thing for the competition of La Liga making sure everybody is a much more equal footing.A season in which you don’t know from the start who is going to be in competition would be a radical change.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

sudo rm -rf posted:

this is just purely an on-field ranking, correct?

my guess is that they're going to go for name/recognition/revenue over performance.

would be interesting to see the same list but sorted by revenue/worth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes%27_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs#Current_ranking

you'll note a correlation here

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

Just lol if you think PSG is some sort of moralistic group; the only reason they haven’t been in to this is because BeIN has broadcast rights to the CL and they don’t want to devalue that by leaving. As soon as that poo poo dries up they’ll be in this thing.

You think any german club owners that wernt subject to their countries ownership rules are quitely in this camp?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

mistermojo posted:

If you're a founding member you can't get knocked out. Ever. And you always get way more money than the qualifying teams, no matter how badly you do.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

uXs posted:

If you're a founding member you can't get knocked out. Ever. And you always get way more money than the qualifying teams, no matter how badly you do.

It's literally American owners recreating the NFL.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

cadfael posted:

Would they even be allowed to in european leagues given whats happened already? Strongest contenders for me rn are teams outside europe

Honestly I have no idea but I find it hard to believe we're this far down the road of this lovely 15+5 league idea when there isn't even a 15 to start with. Does adding in Kashima Antlers, Al-Ahly & Kaizer Chiefs (or whoever) to the dozen breakaway teams help them? I think they've got to have at least 3 other European teams ready.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

sassassin posted:

Aston Villa
Barnsley
Bournemouth
Brentford
Brighton
Burnley
Cardiff
Crystal Palace
Everton
Fulham
Leeds
Leicester
Newcastle
Norwich
Reading
Sheff Utd
Southampton
Swansea
Watford
West Brom
West Ham
Wolves

I want this now, let them break off.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

biglads posted:

Honestly I have no idea but I find it hard to believe we're this far down the road of this lovely 15+5 league idea when there isn't even a 15 to start with. Does adding in Kashima Antlers, Al-Ahly & Kaizer Chiefs (or whoever) to the dozen breakaway teams help them? I think they've got to have at least 3 other European teams ready.

Thats the staggering thing about this or so it seems, how far down this road we now are. This is different to the previous shake-up's of the european cup as far as i know, its frightening. Like i said i think it will go to the courts and something else will come of it but ive no idea what will come of it now.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm not sure about that, because Matt Bruenig is frequently a goddamn moron capable of top-shelf Galaxy Brain takes. Matt Yglesigas, on the other hand, just tries to openly bullshit his way through his own ignorance.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

uXs posted:

now that's a good deal. from what I understand it's just replacing the Champions League which I guess sucks but it's not like this is the only league they'll be playing in

though maybe thats the goal eventually, but it seems like they play way too many games as it is

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

biglads posted:

They probably don't want to add crappy teams just to get the numbers up. They're waiting for PSG, Bayern, and Dortmund to join. And since they said no, they'll probably start the league as-is, make lots of money, and force those teams to give in. The temporary 5 team rotation will be around until they have ~20 full-time members and then they'll permanently close it like US sports. Future expansions would need to be done by buying your way in like NFL.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

mistermojo posted:

now that's a good deal. from what I understand it's just replacing the Champions League which I guess sucks but it's not like this is the only league they'll be playing in

though maybe thats the goal eventually, but it seems like they play way too many games as it is

I dont see how it will be a good deal for the players at all if they are made to choose between club/country/uefa leagues

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Do people actually care about the Champions League? I thought the domestic leagues were the thing fans cared about.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Alexander Hamilton posted:

Do people actually care about the Champions League? I thought the domestic leagues were the thing fans cared about.

Yes the european cup is cared about and is seen by many as the pinicle of this sport

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Yes people care about the champions league

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

cadfael posted:

I dont see how it will be a good deal for the players at all if they are made to choose between club/country/uefa leagues

oh lol I meant for the owners

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

cadfael posted:

You think any german club owners that wernt subject to their countries ownership rules are quitely in this camp?

Leipzig because Red Bull. 100%.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Do people actually care about the Champions League?

:ironicat:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vando posted:

yeah, everyone thinks this angle means greedy players but it's actually greedy owners aiming for unsustainable glory, fuelled by the teams at the top who can pump the most money in
the original post that got "cspam people" replies literally said greedy players

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

mistermojo posted:

oh lol I meant for the owners

Sure for them it possibly is...i just think the reprucssions in the end would lead it to be a titanic

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sudo rm -rf posted:

it seems like big football clubs run into financial trouble more often than american sport franchises

like what's going on with barca?

Who are the Mets of England here in terms of being really bad at money?

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Florentino Pérez as the chairman is a bone chilling thing , any other team not RM should be concerned.

He has driven RM into a debt hole 1B deep, has crushed and burned more than one project, he has his tendrils in the most corrupt economic sector of the Spanish economy ( construction) and he’s responsible for quite few deaths in the aged care systems in Spain.

gently caress I hate this garbage and it’s making me into a third world Maoist reactionary combo.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

hump day bitches! posted:

Florentino Pérez as the chairman is a bone chilling thing , any other team not RM should be concerned.

He has driven RM into a debt hole 1B deep, has crushed and burned more than one project, he has his tendrils in the most corrupt economic sector of the Spanish economy ( construction) and he’s responsible for quite few deaths in the aged care systems in Spain.

gently caress I hate this garbage and it’s making me into a third world Maoist reactionary combo.
Yeah. For all the American money going into this, it's still Florentino's metaphorical baby.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Rad Russian posted:

They probably don't want to add crappy teams just to get the numbers up. They're waiting for PSG, Bayern, and Dortmund to join. And since they said no, they'll probably start the league as-is, make lots of money, and force those teams to give in. The temporary 5 team rotation will be around until they have ~20 full-time members and then they'll permanently close it like US sports. Future expansions would need to be done by buying your way in like NFL.

I'm kinda hoping for Honved, Dukla Prague & Red Star Belgrade tbh.

cadfael
Nov 7, 2010

Listening to the radio 5 podcast before the leeds game again and the non-football playing pundit says in regards to this thing working 'I cant see how it does, and i cant see how anyone turns back'.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

biglads posted:

Galatasaray just for the other ESL teams having a fun little away trip to Turkey.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

biglads posted:

Even though Spartak is dunking on this publicly, I'd bet anything they wanted in but couldn't get the profit sharing to work with their barely concealed corruption and skimming off the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

sassassin posted:

Aston Villa
Barnsley
Bournemouth
Brentford
Brighton
Burnley