Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Watched [Still incomplete], my first TJPW show. Was confusing but fun.

https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1383560545681371139

This is correct

https://www.ddtpro.com/news/15764

Almost tempted by this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Hon hon hon

https://twitter.com/neobiishikigun/status/1383780621193941014?s=19

quote:

The meat makes the flesh, the bread makes the stomach and the wine leads the dance.

🍖🥖🍷💃

#tjpw https://t.co/UzqoCboNje

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1384024034065539073

If google translate isn't steering me too far wrong, seems like Shiori is retiring due to a chronic illness. That's a shame, I loved her as a duo with Hikari and her springboard headlock takeover was a real cool move.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Aw man, that really sucks. I hope her quality of life can improve.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

PublicOpinion posted:

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1384024034065539073

If google translate isn't steering me too far wrong, seems like Shiori is retiring due to a chronic illness. That's a shame, I loved her as a duo with Hikari and her springboard headlock takeover was a real cool move.

That's such a shame. She had incredible potential and was just starting to take off. I hope she's able to do the best for her health.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
https://twitter.com/ddtpro_eng/status/1384099977341722627
better translation but yeah

god she's just 19

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

hopefully it's something that she can come back from later but it's really tragic news, she only got to wrestle for like 3 months outside of covid.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
[still incomplete] was fun! my first tjpw full big show I watched.

who was dollar store riho? get your own gear and moves lady!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

DuhSal posted:

that was mizuki, she actually had a match vs riho in tjpw at one point im pretty sure, they were both trained by emi sakura iirc so that's probably part of it.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

DuhSal posted:

Probably Mizuki. Mizuki is older and still a 9 year vet but it's hard to beat a 23 year old who's been wrestling 15 years

They were both trained by Emi Sakurai so their wrestling is pretty similar. Mizuki is a lot louder and expressive while Riho is much smoother and the reason they both have similar gear is because....Mizuki designs Riho's gear.

They look like they could be sisters, even their facial features are similar but Riho's real older sister also wrestled for a while too

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I hope its not serious and that she can either recover from it or that its not the sort of illness that causes her serious issues. Its Joshi and people come back from young retirements fairly often but with this one being on medical grounds I think that seems fairly unlikely - especially if she comes across something else she enjoys doing in the meantime. I'm glad she got to give it a go, if nothing else that's something that she should look at as a positive thing.

DuhSal posted:

would recommend not using "Dollar Store Riho" on twitter: the incredibly annoying Wrestlejoy people royally annoyed DDT/TJPW fans when they were live watching some show when they both called Mizuki "Dollar Store Riho" and also said that Raku shouldn't wrestle and those aren't people you want to be compared to.

Mizuki is probably the most popular TJPW wrestler in Japan - her merch queues were apparently significantly longer than anyone else and someone once said that at a show he was at there was still a massive queue for her when he left which was a good ten minutes after everyone else had finished; and she probably would have been there for a fairly long time afterwards and that's not a one-off thing. So whatever she does she does it very well. Also Riho doesn't do the Whirling Candy while Mizuki can!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 19, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've never seen a Mizuki match and even I know Mizuki rules

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

The best thing about Yuka and Mizuki is that they're little and cute and have adorable gimmicks except they're both SO LOUD.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Lamuella posted:

The best thing about Yuka and Mizuki is that they're little and cute and have adorable gimmicks except they're both SO LOUD.
On their own they're pretty loud, but when they're teaming together they're just extra, extra loud. Neither of them stop talking, they're like smaller versions of Jack Evans.

They're also both sadistic pyromaniacs.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Still Incomplete was also the first one I watched too and the highlights for me were: (i don't know their names yet please forgive me)

- the amazing tag match with the tiny maid/tall aristocrat lady, what a fun team
- the three way tag match was super good too and I was changing who I wanted to win every 30 seconds, I think out of the six the two who jumped out at me the most were Mirai Maiumi and Yuka Sakazaki
- i think it was the third match with the badass who came out in the dope cropped jacket, she seemed super cool! (and I think she got challenged to a title match at the end)
- the last match was a lot of fun but I guess I was a little surprised at who the champion is, at first glance she doesn't really seem to stand out character wise compared to some of the other wrestlers

I don't know how often these events happen but I think I'm on board!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Help Im Alive posted:

the tiny maid/tall aristocrat lady, what a fun team

You did not just give praise to the loving French :argh:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

Still Incomplete was also the first one I watched too and the highlights for me were: (i don't know their names yet please forgive me)

- the amazing tag match with the tiny maid/tall aristocrat lady, what a fun team
- the three way tag match was super good too and I was changing who I wanted to win every 30 seconds, I think out of the six the two who jumped out at me the most were Mirai Maiumi and Yuka Sakazaki
- i think it was the third match with the badass who came out in the dope cropped jacket, she seemed super cool! (and I think she got challenged to a title match at the end)
- the last match was a lot of fun but I guess I was a little surprised at who the champion is, at first glance she doesn't really seem to stand out character wise compared to some of the other wrestlers

Really glad you enjoyed your first show. One of the things I like most about TJPW is that it's super accessible to new people. Broad but awesome characters, lots of action, lots of comedy.

The badass with the cropped jacket is Miyu Yamashita. She is the coolest in the world. If you have Wrestle Universe she had another match this morning on their twice weekly one-match show That's JPW.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

It's okay to refer to the TJPW as their meme names.

The maid and tall aristocrat were Sakiama (Tall) and Mei Saint-Michel (Maid), Sakisama is the only true heel in the promotion and often influences members of the roster to come over to the dark side (Being French)

Mirai, the volleyball enthusiast is a total powerhouse, she's strong as hell and super agile which makes her lariats look like decapitations, she's a lot of fun. Yuka Sakazaki is the bratty Magical Girl who is one of the pillars of the promotion and she's been in AEW in pretty big matches to boot. That match in particular was good exposure to most of the best wrestlers in the promotion. Mirai's partner is the "Bee Rookie" who's a bubbly girl with a bumblee asthestic. Yuka's partner is Mizuki who's been mentioned on this page as being the louder, older version of Riho. The team you didn't mention involved "Big Kaiju" Shoko Nakajima who's another one of the pillars of TJPW and Hyper Misao who's a "hero" using underhanded tactics to win inspired by Jun Kasai (In real life and Kaybfabe)

The cropped jacket girl was Miyu Yamashita. Her style is kick. Despite her serious demeanor she's the third of TJPW's pillars and IRL is one of the goofiest, silliest people on the roster. She's the promotion's Daniel Bryan who can kick anyone's head clean off but is a total dork when she's not competing.

The Champion of the promotion is the White Dragon, Rika Tatsumi. She doesn't have a loud or exaggerated personality which is one of her characteristics in TJPW, she's a normal human in this promotion of misfits. Her opponent Maki Itoh was a pop idol who got fired and turned to wrestling.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It should be noted here that "normal" for Rika Tatsumi includes "kayfabe has a butt that's as hard as diamond"

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Thanks for the info all! I appreciate getting some background on the fighters - it's a lot to take in at first

Lamuella posted:

It should be noted here that "normal" for Rika Tatsumi includes "kayfabe has a butt that's as hard as diamond"

i did hear the commentary mentioning something about "diamond vs diamond" when she buttslammed Maki Itoh's head so I figured there's kind of an unstoppable force meets an immovable object deal going on there

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's definitely a lot to take in first time round. Because they have a fairly stable roster, though, you'll see a lot of people recur and interact. Of the three CyberFight companies they're definitely the one where I got a handle on the roster quickest (I'm still not sure who all the NOAH juniors are)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Help Im Alive posted:

she buttslammed Maki Itoh's head

I need a gif of this moment

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Rarity posted:

I need a gif of this moment

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1383425358104461315

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lamuella posted:

It's definitely a lot to take in first time round. Because they have a fairly stable roster, though, you'll see a lot of people recur and interact. Of the three CyberFight companies they're definitely the one where I got a handle on the roster quickest (I'm still not sure who all the NOAH juniors are)
One thing that really makes TJPW members stand out is how colorful their costumes are, even amongst similar costumes like Shoko and Neko both have tails, one is immediately identifiable as wolf and the other as a cat. They've done such a good job at character work that you can call them out by their gear and everyone universally is going to know who you're talking about.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

RealFoxy posted:

One thing that really makes TJPW members stand out is how colorful their costumes are, even amongst similar costumes like Shoko and Neko both have tails, one is immediately identifiable as wolf and the other as a cat. They've done such a good job at character work that you can call them out by their gear and everyone universally is going to know who you're talking about.

True, if I said I really liked that three way match in March where the bee fought the little kaiju and the magical girl everyone would know who I meant.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Lamuella posted:

True, if I said I really liked that three way match in March where the bee fought the little kaiju and the magical girl everyone would know who I meant.

Yeah I take acid sometimes too

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

Lamuella posted:

i completely do not know who you mean. the only kind of kaiju i've seen in tjpw is a BIG kaiju

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

John Dudebro posted:

i completely do not know who you mean. the only kind of kaiju i've seen in tjpw is a BIG kaiju

Good point.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RealFoxy posted:

I beg your pardon. Shoko is easily identifiable as a WHAT? :colbert:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

I beg your pardon. Shoko is easily identifiable as a WHAT? :colbert:
She's a Godzilla sized Princess Mononoke, excuse you.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Biggest dang kaiju you ever saw.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shoko was actually how I discovered TJPW, thanks to a video on her by the eponymous 'JoShizzle' on YouTube.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just a reminder that the May 4th Korakuen show will have english commentary

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

RealFoxy posted:

It's okay to refer to the TJPW as their meme names.

The maid and tall aristocrat were Sakiama (Tall) and Mei Saint-Michel (Maid).

I thought she was going to be referred to properly as May Saint-Michel?

Senerio posted:

Just a reminder that the May 4th Korakuen show will have english commentary

I don't mind their commentary team, but any idea why they don't have any women who speak English on there?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Wazzu posted:

I thought she was going to be referred to properly as May Saint-Michel?

Everything I've seen uses Mei, including the upcoming T-shirt:

https://twitter.com/tjpw2013/status/1383641704327094273

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
To backtrack a bit, I'm really sad to see Sena Shiori go, but I'm glad she's dipping out now instead of continuing to wrestle through it and potentially making it worse. Since she's so young, part of me hopes we see her back in the ring someday, but obviously health comes first.

On the bright side, whatever her health troubles are, she says they're not life-threatening or anything:

https://twitter.com/shiori_tjpw/status/1384120113595437064

Also sorry for Hikari, since she keeps losing great tag partners and she and Sena are apparently close IRL, too.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Johnny Landmine posted:

Also sorry for Hikari, since she keeps losing great tag partners and she and Sena are apparently close IRL, too.

Yeah they made friends as kids going to BJW shows

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Surprising no-one, seems like Hikari is going to be her final opponent. Going to assume I will cry at this one like I did at Pinano's retirement match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Wazzu posted:

I don't mind their commentary team, but any idea why they don't have any women who speak English on there?

I mean you are talking about a promotion with I think one signed woman who speaks English at a level where she could do commentary for a show (and even then that's not a guarantee: look at Yoshitatsu) in the middle of a global pandemic where travel is very difficult. Its quite clear that after the first attempts at commentary with Sonno Oono and his pals that were terrible that they had stronger criteria for their next team: Japan-based, broadcast experience in sports commentary (and I suspect they ideally wanted MMA/Martial Arts experience); knowledge of and enthusiasm for wrestling and I suspect that pool is very small so you take what you get - and that's probably not a pool with a lot of women in it at the best of times. Fulton and Pickering came from doing Pancrase commentary and were primarily brought in for NOAH and I really like them: and almost certainly the best team they could use in the current situation. Kamiyu is the only person they could realistically pull from the roster to help but she's a champion and probably working in the top of the card which makes that difficult and that's assuming she even wants to do it: its a tricky job.

Long-term its something to take a look at but at the moment I get why: its not like there are obvious candidates they've overlooked for the thing; and after the initial bad run they were mainly focused at pulling people with that experience that were already in Japan. TJPW is also a promotion where the fanbase is... very male; so its less likely that you'll just happen to run across someone that has the skills but is also a fan that happens to be a woman so it would require them to actively find someone and work with them.