Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Steakandchips posted:

300F is 148C, which is plenty manageable by an oven, aye. Good shout.

My baking hobby finally pays off. Besides the carbs, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

Just shipped my No-loving-Good Milwaukee M18 circular saw off to get warranty service. The first part was easy, Milwaukee just asks for model and proof of purchase, then prints out a prepaid FedEx label. I dropped it off for FedEx to pick up and we'll see how the process goes.

Mustache Ride posted:

Good luck, the lovely warranty repair service that Dewalt (And Black & Decker, and Craftsman, and Bostitch, and Porter Cable, and probably a few more) was awful and I didn't hear anything for a month. They finally told me they couldn't repair it so I took it into the HD where I bought it and they exchanged it for me.

meatpimp posted:

Well, we'll test their banner promising repairs in 7-10 business days! (poo poo, that is way bigger than on my screen when I took a screenshot, sorry!)
I've sent two Milwaukee tools back, the first one came back in the form of a new tool pretty quick (probably within 7-10 days, but I'm not positive, it's been ~2 years). The second one came back still broken and poorly packaged, but Milwaukee was really responsive and shipped me a brand new / updated tool quickly to resolve. Overall, I'd say their process is pretty good.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

meatpimp posted:

Just shipped my No-loving-Good Milwaukee M18 circular saw off to get warranty service. The first part was easy, Milwaukee just asks for model and proof of purchase, then prints out a prepaid FedEx label. I dropped it off for FedEx to pick up and we'll see how the process goes.

What’d you have to provide for proof of purchase? Curious if my eBay finds would ever get repaired if they needed it.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Krakkles posted:

I've sent two Milwaukee tools back, the first one came back in the form of a new tool pretty quick (probably within 7-10 days, but I'm not positive, it's been ~2 years). The second one came back still broken and poorly packaged, but Milwaukee was really responsive and shipped me a brand new / updated tool quickly to resolve. Overall, I'd say their process is pretty good.

Good experience here too. My drill let out some smoke from the switch and about a week later I had a functional repaired tool.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Steakandchips posted:

300F is 148C, which is plenty manageable by an oven, aye. Good shout.

the target range for hot bluing is 300c-400c

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

nitsuga posted:

What’d you have to provide for proof of purchase? Curious if my eBay finds would ever get repaired if they needed it.
I haven't had to send anything - the tool where the repair went awry and had to get escalated & fixed was an ebay purchase.

If I recall correctly, they ask when you bought it, but don't require any proof.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Same, I didn't have to submit any proof of purchase for my M12 rotary tool. Shipped it back, got a new in box tool a while later.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Krakkles posted:

If I recall correctly, they ask when you bought it, but don't require any proof.

They asked for a proof-of-purchase upload, I had an Amazon order record, but there was also a "no proof available" selection that looked like it would go through the same process.

They did ask for the serial number, so I assume they go off the manufacture date for no-proof submissions?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

meatpimp posted:

They asked for a proof-of-purchase upload, I had an Amazon order record, but there was also a "no proof available" selection that looked like it would go through the same process.

They did ask for the serial number, so I assume they go off the manufacture date for no-proof submissions?
That sounds right. I remember them mentioning in the process that manufacture date would be considered.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Krakkles posted:

That sounds right. I remember them mentioning in the process that manufacture date would be considered.

Bingo.

If you have the receipt, the warranty starts on the sale date. If not, manufacture date.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Question, what are the go-to brands for jack stands now? I don't really trust Harbor Freight's third attempt at them after their initial replacements immediately had failing welds.

Second, I know people love the HF racing jacks, any feedback on these? https://harborfreight.com/3-ton-long-reach-low-profile-professional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-blue-56641.html I like the height and the length, seems like it would be very easy to reach the crossmember/subframe to jack up the car compared to the more compact jack I currently have that is getting long in the tooth.

Finally, are there any baseplates or anything like that to make it safe to use a jack and stands on dirt? I've found the farm jack baseplates but they seem to be for one specific type of jack. I was looking at installing a driveway but I can't afford to pay someone else to do it and I really don't feel like wrangling 2.5 tons of concrete pavers and ??? pounds of gravel if there's another way. I've got coveralls, I don't mind lying in the dirt, I just need a hard stable surface for the jack and stands.

E: Wait, would just a thick slab of plywood do for the last part? I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Might want some rubber feet for my jack stands so they don't dig in on the wood I guess?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Apr 16, 2021

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

E: Wait, would just a thick slab of plywood do for the last part? I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. Might want some rubber feet for my jack stands so they don't dig in on the wood I guess?
Absolutely. I’ve got a few 3/4” flats that I use for this. Make sure the dirt under them is as level as possible, and while they’re not entirely disposable, you definitely want to replace them before they fail. (My current set, my car has been on them three times and there’s definitely some wear showing, but they’re not shot yet.)

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno about the jack stands, I'm still using mid-00s or older HF stands, albeit I usually use 6-ton set instead of a 3-ton.

And yeah, those Daytona jacks are great. I've had mine for years and I'm still happy with it but I don't have any particular low cars. If you've got a low front lip you might not be able to reach subframe jack point, and it's heavy AF... those would be the only criticisms of it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them. I had used a spare piece of lumber for chafing (or whatever you call it when you put something on top of a jack to get extra height) and it got chewed up pretty bad but in hindsight it was going on a fairly small surface while being supported by the raised edges of the jack.

E: My ground clearance on my lowest car is about 5", so hopefully I could get it under there. It says the minimum height is under 4".

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Question, what are the go-to brands for jack stands now? I don't really trust Harbor Freight's third attempt at them after their initial replacements immediately had failing welds.

The Esco jack stands were one of the ones recommended, I got them to replace my hf ones.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082MN5513

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I'm still on HF jackstands from the 08-2014ish vintage. Don't think I've bought any since then.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

I’ve got Torin Big Red stands; I know some people don’t like them but I bought the ones with a locking pin and I’m happy.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on them. I had used a spare piece of lumber for chafing (or whatever you call it when you put something on top of a jack to get extra height) and it got chewed up pretty bad but in hindsight it was going on a fairly small surface while being supported by the raised edges of the jack.

E: My ground clearance on my lowest car is about 5", so hopefully I could get it under there. It says the minimum height is under 4".

FWIW, the 4" is the height of the pad in the full-down position. The jack is about 7" tall at the handle end, so if your jack point is more than 16" or so from the lowest point on your car, it might not work without parking the car on 2-bys to crib it up before jacking.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. The lighter weight of the racing jacks is pretty appealing, the idea of lugging 100 pounds of jack to the car doesn't sound fun. In everyone's experience, does the difference between getting the car 24" off the ground and 19" off the ground make a big difference? I'm not sure how high my current one goes, but I'd guess it's only 17".

I'll probably shell out for the escos, that's expensive but they're effectively 6 ton jacks by how others are measured and they've got nice big feet and a good height. Those only go to 21" but I'm also considering using a concrete paver instead of plywood for the jack stands, which would add another couple inches.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The only times I've ever wanted more lift height out of a jack on a regular basis is working on Jeeps, particularly when I want to lift from the frame instead of the axles. They have so much droop left in the suspension that you either need a lot of lift height, an uncomfortable amount of wood on the jack saddle, or both.

Working on almost anything else, 19" is likely going to be enough for most purposes.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. The lighter weight of the racing jacks is pretty appealing, the idea of lugging 100 pounds of jack to the car doesn't sound fun. In everyone's experience, does the difference between getting the car 24" off the ground and 19" off the ground make a big difference? I'm not sure how high my current one goes, but I'd guess it's only 17".

I'll probably shell out for the escos, that's expensive but they're effectively 6 ton jacks by how others are measured and they've got nice big feet and a good height. Those only go to 21" but I'm also considering using a concrete paver instead of plywood for the jack stands, which would add another couple inches.

The ESCOs are good. I have a pair of them in use right now and I should order two more to work under it fully supported. Yes they're expensive. They do make me feel better when I'm underneath the load.

One way or another jackstands will last the rest of your life.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

if you can get it a big square or circle of thick (like 2") recycled plastic lumber/sheet is fantastic for jacking on poor ground.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Second, I know people love the HF racing jacks, any feedback on these? https://harborfreight.com/3-ton-long-reach-low-profile-professional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-blue-56641.html I like the height and the length, seems like it would be very easy to reach the crossmember/subframe to jack up the car compared to the more compact jack I currently have that is getting long in the tooth.

Finally, are there any baseplates or anything like that to make it safe to use a jack and stands on dirt? I've found the farm jack baseplates but they seem to be for one specific type of jack. I was looking at installing a driveway but I can't afford to pay someone else to do it and I really don't feel like wrangling 2.5 tons of concrete pavers and ??? pounds of gravel if there's another way. I've got coveralls, I don't mind lying in the dirt, I just need a hard stable surface for the jack and stands.

i got two pairs of autozone's duralast ones because they were steel (and thus cheaper) than HF's aluminum ones

feet would be nice, but I'm using them on concrete so it wasn't a big deal. i would deffo want to put down something to spread the pressure on asphalt and i wouldn't even try using them on dirt by themselves

i'm just spitballing but if the dirt surface is flat and firm, 1/8" steel plate should make a solid base, and you could trim and bend up the sides to make them a little more secure, probably with just a rigidly-mounted bench vice

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 16, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

These will outlast you and any wood product you can possibly find.

https://dicausa.com/outrigger-pads/

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

$100 each at minimum is a little out of my price range.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

These will outlast you and any wood product you can possibly find.

https://dicausa.com/outrigger-pads/

cakesmith handyman posted:

if you can get it a big square or circle of thick (like 2") recycled plastic lumber/sheet is fantastic for jacking on poor ground.

:colbert:

E:£50 for a square meter of 1" will make 4 invincible jackpads

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 17, 2021

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I got scared of the ratcheting HF jack stands years ago after reading about too many people getting crushed and switched to the pin style ones (the brand is Larin) I found at farm and fleet, if I need to use them on dirt I find a scrap of 2x8 or 2x10 to put under them.

My mower is sitting on 4 of these right now while I have the transmissions out to fix a leak. https://www.farmandfleet.com/products/227928-larin-6-ton-jack-stand.html They were cheaper when I bought them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

rolled steel was probably cheaper when you bought them, before trump made american steel great again

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Harbor Freight got rid of coupons, I guess? It's going to be hard to convince myself it's ok to place orders without seeking % off everything now ... it was good while it lasted, I guess.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

No coupons worked so well for JCPenney.

Without coupons I just don’t see the HF value. Their stuff isn’t *that* cheap; at least not anything I actually want. Crazy Jeff’s Flea Market has everything at least as cheap.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Yeah, I'm suddenly feeling the need to shop around for the things I was about to buy. I agree. HF has the upside of not flowing directly into Crazy Jeff's pocket, at least, but I'm definitely looking at grainger/zoro, northern tool, whatever.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Wasn't there a class action lawsuit awhile back about Harbor Freight's "sales" prices actually being their normal prices? I wonder if that's related to the no-coupon thing.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I suspect the no-coupon thing is more because wholesale prices on imports have gone up dramatically. Couple that with everyone figuring out how to be HF super-couponers and they likely weren’t making enough money on most sales.

I know that I never bought anything large without a 30% off coupon. That’s a big chunk of change for some items that take a lot of shelf space. Plus, has anyone ever actually paid for a HF flashlight or moving blanket?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Advent Horizon posted:

No coupons worked so well for JCPenney.

My first thought.

Though JC Penney also tried to rebrand as an upscale boutique store at the same time, which shoppers rejected. So they lost their coupon clipper base without getting the young fashion crowd they were looking for.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Sort of like how HF keeps trying to move their power tools upmarket?

I think JCP was also crippled by being a department store - as your comment highlighted, everyone thinks of them as a clothing store. Yet clothes were only 2/5 floors at the JCP in Anchorage, the rest were home goods. I know I never went there looking for a spatula.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Advent Horizon posted:

The KIA approach.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

El Jebus posted:

The KIA approach.

Except it worked for KIA.

HF started restricting the 20 and 30% off coupons a while ago. There's a phone book worth of exclusions on them.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I don't think I've bought anything with a coupon at HF in at least a couple years. The shop press was a coupon buy, but the 44" roller and top chest were after they were excluded from the general coupons. Generally if I need to bother with a coupon to make it cheaper, I'll just buy a different brand from someone else that sells it, and probably end up with a longer warranty included to boot.

I do need to grab a few more of the knockoff Stanley parts organizers though.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

As much as I hate to support The Guy Who Could End World Hunger But Conciously Chooses Not To, the same amount of money is getting me better parts here tomorrow instead of in about a week.

I'm definitely not "oh I'll never shop at HF again", but I sure see a lot less reason to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Advent Horizon posted:

I literally bought a DeWalt cordless impact (on sale) last week with two 2ah batteries and a 5ah battery for like $10 more than one of HF's comparable impacts without any batteries. Picked up a racing jack and some sockets and HF but I'm definitely not seeing the benefit for a lot of stuff anymore.