Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

The Bloop posted:

Dr of what, Wonderful?

Not that you need to tell us but I'm curious

PhD in English, and thank you everyone!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Rock on, Doc Wonderful - congratulations!

Modesty Blaise

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey comic strip friends, I passed my dissertation defense on Friday and submitted my final manuscript to the university this morning, so if I do not have a totally clear plate yet (I'm moving in May, and will be grading finals in two weeks) I have at least eaten all the veggies off of it and can sneak on a little posting dessert.
That's wonderful, How Wonderful!

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

How Wonderful! posted:

Congrats!!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm in this picture and I don't like it.

And I just realized the colorist hosed up.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Evangelion Episode 26 but instead of the cast all saying "congratulations!" it's comic strip characters.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

How Wonderful! posted:

:toot: congrats!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey comic strip friends, I passed my dissertation defense on Friday and submitted my final manuscript to the university this morning, [etc]

How Wonderful! posted:

Congratulations! :toot:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Aug 26-27, 1952)

I love this one.

Calvin and Hobbes (Apr 16-19, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (November 14, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (June 20, 1918)

Banana Oil! (April 5, 1924)

Gay and Her Gang (June 5, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (November 4, 1935)

Mopsy (January 4, 1937)

Dark Laughter (March 17, 1945)

Those Were the Days (November 13, 1952)

Frisbee?

Dinky Fellas (July 26, 1965)

Wee Pals (July 26, 1965)

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

readingatwork posted:

Crabgrass

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

I'm actually enjoying how absurd Kevin's Very Bad Day is becoming.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days (November 13, 1952)

SOME
HOTROD

The Dinette Set wouldn't even be able to reach the pedals!

Working Daze actually draws realistic perspective in the office for once.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix goes a little too far.

Cul De Sac gets into the spirit of the thing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Everett True on vacation is usually great and this is off to a great start

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Hey, another congrats to Dr. How Wonderful!

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Oct. 26th, 1940

GUESS WHO, MOTHERFUCKERS!?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Congrats, How Wonderful! :toot:

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (September 10, 1933)

National Recovery Act. Not the...um...other NRA.

Peanuts (April 22, 1974)

At long last, welcome to Funky COVID-bean.

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 10, 1937)

Out Our Way (June 22-24, 1936)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 20, 2021

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"Elizabeth specifically asked me not to cut her hair, but I did it anyway and now, for some reason, she's unhappy about it. It's inexplicable!"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

EasyEW posted:

:smug: "People are struggling with addiction in the face of uncertainty."

"I'm pleased with your jibe." :smug:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I'm not completely sure how I feel about Deathless Deer, except that I very much want to continue reading it.

How Wonderful! posted:

BSE's are not generally suggested now as firmly as they were in the 80s and 90s, since it can result in a lot of false positives. Nowadays health organizations suggest a more generalized sense of breast awareness and what is and isn't a red flag. It's a complicated issue, I'm not that kind of doctor (but I am a doctor).

I am glad to hear about the shift in thinking regarding BSEs because that DtWoF was starting to make me feel a little guilty that I haven't done one since... uh... hmm. Yeah, I'm sure it's fine.

Congratulations on the doctoring!

Safety Dance posted:

I'm actually enjoying how absurd Kevin's Very Bad Day is becoming.

Tauhid is trying something. It's nice to see a newspaper cartoonist try something every once in a while.

Apparently when this story is done, he's going to make the whole sequence available to purchase as a poster, if people are interested.

Surprise, surprise, Gunther is a total invertebrate.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

EasyEW posted:

So this was written like a year ago, and considering how this and Crankshaft was just like "remember all that crazy stuff? What a crazy time! Glad it's over!" means I'm going to become increasingly more frustrated with something I already dislike as we go through this huh. 'cuz this means it would've roughly been around last April or May or whatever when it was starting to sink in to a lot of people that this wasn't just going to end while a lot of folks were like "it'll be over any day now, it's nothing at all!" and...boy do I not expect Tombat to handle any of this alright considering that Funky is talking to the Donut Lady and neither of them have masks.

Also gently caress off Gunther.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Julet Esqu posted:

I'm not completely sure how I feel about Deathless Deer, except that I very much want to continue reading it.

I'm still not entirely sure who the protagonist is. But yes, I'm eager to continue and find out.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Goongrats on the PhD! Your posts have been sorely missed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

I remember seeing this strip as a kid and trying it, and it worked wonderfully. To this day if I'm alone and I have the hiccups I'll do it sometimes, truly wild

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Since Crankshaft is ten years before Funky I guess they had two pandemics.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

Some good Peter faces today.

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday :words:

Footrot Flats

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Countblanc posted:

I remember seeing this strip as a kid and trying it, and it worked wonderfully. To this day if I'm alone and I have the hiccups I'll do it sometimes, truly wild

It's been my go-to solution for as long as I can remember. I don't know if I got it from this comic, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

This is a solution that probably worked better in 1979, when tennis balls usually came in opaque metal cans or cardboard tubes, not clear plastic ones like today.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/19/01

Brenda Starr 4/22-24/46

Smokey Stover 8/25/40

Richard's Poor Almanac

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
First post fueled by Powered Descent's script! It works pretty great!

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

Rae the Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

riderchop fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 20, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Congrats on the PhD!

Not sure how I feel about no more One Big Happy. I mean, it's utterly loathsome, but every day was new evidence of Detorie's general decline, and that was kind of nice. Not about to go to the effort of actively reading, let alone posting it though.

Valuable data for my project that tracks the spoiler threshold for how much Big Ick features in a comic :v:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Valuable data for my project that tracks the spoiler threshold for how much Big Ick features in a comic :v:

Or a dissertation on how closely I pay attention to things when I'm trying to beat midnight.
:doh:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Congrats How Wonderful! :)

Classic Kevin & Kell (November 6-12, 2000)

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Not sure how I feel about no more One Big Happy. I mean, it's utterly loathsome, but every day was new evidence of Detorie's general decline, and that was kind of nice. Not about to go to the effort of actively reading, let alone posting it though.

I really thought about it, but I decided I disliked it too much

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
It just occurred to me that this whole K&K thing has been a tortoise and a hare. gently caress me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

"Pfft, whatever," thinks the welder, instead of warning Axa she's about to leave half an inch of skin on Mark's red hot body

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Spanish Matlock posted:

It just occurred to me that this whole K&K thing has been a tortoise and a hare. gently caress me.

It has occurred to me that Ophelia being a weasel wearing a turtle shell in the current storyline is probably a reference back to this arc.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

maltesh posted:

It has occurred to me that Ophelia being a weasel wearing a turtle shell in the current storyline is probably a reference back to this arc.

Time is a flat circle.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (August 10, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (August 10, 1999)

Garfield Classic (August 10, 1989)

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "26 - Jucika and Melon"

"Jucika and the Miracle Cleaner"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (October 19, 1991)

I've got mixed feelings about this. On one hand, it's good that Anja finally realizes she's been a terrible mother and wants Mikko to have a stable, loving family. On the other hand, her answer to this being to pretty much give her kid away, instead of taking responsibility by doing better as a mother, is completely missing the point. If the story wanted us to be frustrated with her, then it's done a good job at it.

It's weird, but I can't really hate Anja too much. She reminds me of Anthony from FOOB's wife: a career-oriented woman who didn't want kids, except the lovely husband pressured them into having one to try and save their relationship. Anja started off being a flawed parent who couldn't find enough time to be with her family and the story built up on that until we got to this point, and that's fine. What bothers me is that the story has only been showing her as the one making all the terrible parenting decisions, when Heimo hasn't appeared at all and seems fine with how Anja left Mikko for a month. It kind of comes across as the author pinning the blame on Anja here.

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Comet

Opening with a strong dadjoke in the first strip, I like it.

So Tove is back to write this part? That's great! The other author was okay, but the comparison to their writing being like later Simpsons was spot-on.

How Wonderful! posted:

Hey comic strip friends, I passed my dissertation defense on Friday and submitted my final manuscript to the university this morning, so if I do not have a totally clear plate yet (I'm moving in May, and will be grading finals in two weeks) I have at least eaten all the veggies off of it and can sneak on a little posting dessert.

Congratulations, Dr. Wonderful! :D

I can't decide who's a bigger deus ex machina whenever the family encounters a problem: Lindesfarne just being able to hack or find information the family needs, or the serial killer baby eating whatever's threatening them.