Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

sweeperbravo posted:

Aged poorly: The CGI in the Langoliers
Aged well: My undying love for the film

I watched this with my parents when I was like, 8 or 9 and it was on TV, and as with other things in this thread, it's like, not actually a very good film. But so help me god I love this dumb movie and every time I watch it even though I laugh at the goofy parts, I feel like a kid again, and the actors are trying so drat hard to play everything straight when it's really, really hard to do that.

Scaring the little GIRL?!
Man, I loved that movie as kid, too. obviously had some misses, but I always felt like it did a really good job of just creating this super creepy atmosphere where you're wondering what the gently caress happened to the world, and what that sound is the girl keeps hearing.

Although the reveal of what is coming...well, I did mention the misses.

Part of me wonders if a remake could be decent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think the Simpsons version is better.

Yeah, no offense to Scorcese but that movie’s sole legacy at this point is as the basis for one of the all time great classic Simpsons episodes and the world is better off for it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Cape Fear is a brilliant comedy of you watch the end where De Niro yells in tongues as he drowns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctyDL-6f90w&t=69s

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

sweeperbravo posted:

This is how it is in the novel IIRC. I love reading King but it's one of those things where you sometimes don't realize how goofy somethign is until it's translated literally to film that way. The better quality movies made of his works (Green Mile, the Kubrick Shining) take a lot more liberties and don't follow the book exactly.

Aged poorly: The CGI in the Langoliers
Aged well: My undying love for the film

I watched this with my parents when I was like, 8 or 9 and it was on TV, and as with other things in this thread, it's like, not actually a very good film. But so help me god I love this dumb movie and every time I watch it even though I laugh at the goofy parts, I feel like a kid again, and the actors are trying so drat hard to play everything straight when it's really, really hard to do that. Like if you get a chance, please just watch it for how sincerely everyone approaches their role, yet how unclear the direction must have been, how everything kind of has that endearing local theater performance feeling to it.

A few summers ago I got to read the novel and was overjoyed to find that it literally reads like a script of the movie, with a few changes made to keep the film from being even longer than it was (two tapes when you rented the VHS). I had such a giddy goonish glee over how much of the book I already knew by heart and could pretty much recite as I read it because I'm talking down to silly little throw away lines, there was so much commonality.

Gentlemen............

The cola...............

Is very, very, good today! :cheers:

I was really sick for a week when I was in high school, don’t remember what I had, but I was out of school and ran a fever for like 5 days. I was in and out of consciousness for most of those days but I know that movie was playing quite a few times during it. I cannot remember the plot at all and all I can remember at this point is random bits and pieces like weird monster things eating the world and I honestly don’t know if it was a fever dream or the actual movie.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I was really sick for a week when I was in high school, don’t remember what I had, but I was out of school and ran a fever for like 5 days. I was in and out of consciousness for most of those days but I know that movie was playing quite a few times during it. I cannot remember the plot at all and all I can remember at this point is random bits and pieces like weird monster things eating the world and I honestly don’t know if it was a fever dream or the actual movie.

Nah that happens.

I think the Langoliers could work pretty well if the effects were decent enough. There's a bit in the movie where the creatures are over the horizon and you see power lines and trees start to topple and sway and that works nicely.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

AceOfFlames posted:

Yeah, no offense to Scorcese but that movie’s sole legacy at this point is as the basis for one of the all time great classic Simpsons episodes and the world is better off for it.

Nah Scorcese is way overrated, has made far more bad films than good, and is a bitter old rear end in a top hat jealous that people have moved on from his brand of poo poo. You should mean offense.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

This is me but for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and breaking my nose

I've tried to watch it since, but for some reason a good portion of the plot still refuses to stick in my brain and I tend to fall asleep around the same place every time

also it's just not a good movie

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Iron Crowned posted:

I think everyone has fond memories of spending an entire summer licking one of those jawbreakers

I remember having one that was a tie in with the first Jurassic Park movie. It had fun T-Rex facts like "Even a T-Rex couldn't bite through a jawbreaker this big!"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I like the crappy cgi in The Langoliers. They look completely wrong and don't blend in with the actual shots at all. Which seems fitting

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

the_steve posted:

I remember having one that was a tie in with the first Jurassic Park movie. It had fun T-Rex facts like "Even a T-Rex couldn't bite through a jawbreaker this big!"

A T-Rex had a bite force of over six tons I find this candy's claims highly dubious!

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

Push El Burrito posted:

A T-Rex had a bite force of over six tons I find this candy's claims highly dubious!

It's because jawbreakers weren't invented yet

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
could god create a jawbreaker so big even he couldnt bite it

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

ReidRansom posted:

Nah Scorcese is way overrated, has made far more bad films than good, and is a bitter old rear end in a top hat jealous that people have moved on from his brand of poo poo. You should mean offense.

Martin Scorsese makes good movies and what he said about Disney movies was also good.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Flying Zamboni posted:

Martin Scorsese makes good movies and what he said about Disney movies was also good.

Also by all accounts he's a really nice guy who puts in a ton of effort to uplift filmmakers without the resources of megaconglomerates.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Do we really need to start the film hipster argument. We know where it goes

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Cape Fear is pretty lame though. To a lesser extent so is Shutter Island. Dude is not great at thrillers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I could not care less about Scorsese's opinions on Marvel movies but he puts in a lot of effort in trying to preserve a lot of films and for that he deserves praise

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

ReidRansom posted:

lmao

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Y'all are making me want to re-watch the Gregory Peck version and see how that one holds up.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The movie is called “cape FEAR” I mean try to have at least heard of the word subtle Marty

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

El Fideo posted:

Y'all are making me want to re-watch the Gregory Peck version and see how that one holds up.

It is also pretty great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Scorcese has made good movies but he can be pretty inconsistent. Like the gimmick of The Irishman was a huge waste of time and money because it was just completely not believable and didn't actually add anything to the story.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

oldpainless posted:

The movie is called “cape FEAR” I mean try to have at least heard of the word subtle Marty

https://www.capefear-nc.com/

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Dude made Goodfellas. I don’t care if he never made another movie, or if he made one other movie and it was Juwanna Man, he’d still be a great filmmaker.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

He also led the World Cinema Project which got a lot of brilliant film from Africa/India/Korea/etc. more attention and he generally has helped prove just how much influence world cinema has had on the medium in the western sphere.

Increasingly this thread has the most wack rear end opinions on film.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

muscles like this! posted:

Scorcese has made good movies but he can be pretty inconsistent. Like the gimmick of The Irishman was a huge waste of time and money because it was just completely not believable and didn't actually add anything to the story.

With the magic of computers we can turn an 80 year-old Robert de Niro into a 20 year old who looks 40 and moves like he's 80!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
An old movie that I found is still kind of interesting despite having old-fashioned ideas regarding Travellers was "The Man Who Laughs" - it surprised me when I watched it because I expected Gwynplain to be a complete outcast but in the movie he's actually fairly well liked among most of the cast, it's just the nobles who are dicks to him. I liked that it has a total reversal of the usual disfigured person's fate in those old movies, where instead of being chased by an angry mob, the mob is actually on his side, deliberately blocking the police as he fights his way to save his girlfriend.

The main thing that didn't age well about that movie though was Gwyn's backstory - his face is disfigured because of a random surgery done by a group of evil gypsies. Yikes.

A lot of people criticize his actions, and make him out to be a bad person but I understand where he's coming from - he has really bad self-esteem issues to the extent that he thinks he doesn't deserve his (blind, so she doesn't know about his disfigurement early on) girlfriend and that she deserves someone obviously better than he is. This changes when he meet another woman who CAN see him, but who stands out from his usual audience because she doesn't laugh at him, and she invites him back to her place and he gets kind of excited - his logic is to pursue this because if this woman who CAN see him can love him, then maybe his disfigurement doesn't actually matter and he can stop being ashamed of it.

There's a really sweet scene where he finally allows his blind GF to "see" his mouth, and she accepts him to his surprise and delight, and it's a really sweet moment that's very cathartic.

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

ReidRansom posted:

Big mean Martin Scorcese punching down at noted little guy, The Disney Corporation

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

El Fideo posted:

it's good imho, mitchum and peck are a v powerful combo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rochallor posted:

With the magic of computers we can turn an 80 year-old Robert de Niro into a 20 year old who looks 40 and moves like he's 80!

Watching old man DeNiro beat up that grocer and try to act like he's young when he kinda wobbles and looks very unsteady kicking is one of cinema's greatest gifts to us.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Every Scorcese film I've ever seen has been *at least* good.

Including Cape Fear. You guys get how like depiction is not endorsement, and even if Lewis' character acts sexual she's still clearly a child unable to make a mature decision, it's not played like a healthy consensual thing.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Part of the core conceit is that Nick Nolte's lawyer character got DeNiro's rapist character convicted by burying evidence that the 16 year-old girl he raped was promiscuous, which would have earned him a lighter sentence or even acquittal.

How has that aged badly? That's a damning indictment of the justice system by a character who understands it.

ReidRansom posted:

ahaha

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

How many more bad ones has he made than good ones? I just wanna hear some numbers.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

mind the walrus posted:

Part of the core conceit is that Nick Nolte's lawyer character got DeNiro's rapist character convicted by burying evidence that the 16 year-old girl he raped was promiscuous, which would have earned him a lighter sentence or even acquittal.

Holy poo poo, Nick Nolte's character was unambiguously a hero

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

ReidRansom posted:

Big Marvel fan, I take it?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I watched Shutter Island for the first time a couple weeks ago, at the behest of my girlfriend. About halfway through were getting some snacks and she excitedly asked me if I liked it and if I had any theories. I said "It's good, I just hope it's not one of those endings where he's actually crazy and this is all in his head, that would be super lame"

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
That was a fun movie to watch a second time through

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The Scorcese Marvel comments were a real "aha" moment for me because it made me realize that a) people considered Marvel extruded movie product 57-J high art instead of just dumb fun, which had never even occurred to me might be the case and b) were extremely insecure about this. Super weird.

No strong opinions on the man himself, I've seen two of his movies and thought they were pretty good.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Super Waffle posted:

I watched Shutter Island for the first time a couple weeks ago, at the behest of my girlfriend. About halfway through were getting some snacks and she excitedly asked me if I liked it and if I had any theories. I said "It's good, I just hope it's not one of those endings where he's actually crazy and this is all in his head, that would be super lame"
Lmao I did the same thing, but with a friend. I honestly didn't care for the movie, but I've seen a lot of people praising it lately so maybe I should check it out again to see if it was just a case of teen brain or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

TheKennedys posted:

This is me but for Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland and breaking my nose

I've tried to watch it since, but for some reason a good portion of the plot still refuses to stick in my brain and I tend to fall asleep around the same place every time

also it's just not a good movie

Yeah that's basically just how that movie is. It's like it has everything except a script.