Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Yeah hammer does stone-gravel-sand, macerator does stone-dust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
How do I ask a moderator to change my modded minecraft server thread title? or do I just need to make a new thread for the new modpack?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mycroft Holmes posted:

How do you get stone dust? I used a hammer on stone, but that just gave me cobble. Cobble gives me gravel, gravel sand.

In GTNH, or other modpacks, when you want to know how to get an item, generally you can mouse over the item in your inventory or NEI and press R and NEI will tell you how to get it. Browse the pages and tabs, if applicable, for more sources.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

You'll get tons of it from mining small ores, just wash the impure dust by throwing it into a cauldron filled with water. You'll need to use a vanilla minecraft bucket to fill the cauldron, and you can throw a whole stack of dust in at one time to reduce how much water you're using. Steal a cauldron from some of the little witchery huts if you can't make one yet.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Once you get electricity, you can also make a simple washer. It's ULV, so you'll need a transformer. It gives no byproducts, but it washes very fast.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I kindof hate the simple washer. It uses a ton of water and is actually pretty slow when processing stacks of items.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It's good when you're too lazy to wash anything less than a stack in a cauldron though. If I have a full stack to wash then yeah I'll just toss in the cauldron.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Hey everyone I made another minecraft modpack! This one is called "Escape from Raxla" and its based on a D&D game I ran last month. You are trapped on the interplanar planet of Raxla and you must try to build a portal to escape! This is basically a major rework of my old pack "Escape from Trantor", designed to make the world more dense with content. You will be assaulted by all kinds of weird mutant creatures battling for control of this ruined world.

This is a deadly world full of monsters! It will be a challenge to survive. You can hit the ' key to bring up a quest menu with some starting gear and the quests you need to complete to "win". You can also hit the . key to bring up a map that lets you make bookmarks and teleport (you will need to abuse this!) Have fun this is my personal mod pack, its very messed up and I configured all the mods to be 10x normal

Escape from Raxla
https://www.mediafire.com/file/hikkgk04toywmko/Escape+from+Raxla.zip/file
Make sure you select "Lost Cities" and "Raxla" when you make a new world!

An escape from Rutibex Raxla server is now available.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950791&pagenumber=1#post510587415
Server is not whitelisted so feel free to join. Just expect to die alot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SugarAddict posted:

An escape from Rutibex Raxla server is now available.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3950791&pagenumber=1#post510587415
Server is not whitelisted so feel free to join. Just expect to die alot.

It is a dangerous world but you can survive if you live underground like a mole person until you have Equivalent Exchange up and running. The quest book gives you an alchemy bag so you can use that to save items when you are out trekking across the ruined city.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Anyone know any good single player Skyblock modpacks for those new to Skyblock stuff? Preferably without any insanely grognardy stuff like nuclearcraft, that guide someone posted however many pages ago just made me go :catstare: harder and harder as I read through each line

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Umbreon posted:

Anyone know any good single player Skyblock modpacks for those new to Skyblock stuff? Preferably without any insanely grognardy stuff like nuclearcraft, that guide someone posted however many pages ago just made me go :catstare: harder and harder as I read through each line

Heaven's Sorcery perhaps?

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
There's a few that I know of.
There's one where all you have is botania mod, then there's a few skyblock-ish modpacks made by Jaded or something? I can't remember, but I remember you start on an island made out of hardened clay and a running river and you had to spend hours clicking on cobble with a hammer to get gravel and sift it and stuff.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

McFrugal posted:

Heaven's Sorcery perhaps?

This one looks pretty decent so far. I prefer tech over magic, but if I can't find any tech oriented skyboxes then I think I'll go with this one instead

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

SugarAddict posted:

There's a few that I know of.
There's one where all you have is botania mod, then there's a few skyblock-ish modpacks made by Jaded or something? I can't remember, but I remember you start on an island made out of hardened clay and a running river and you had to spend hours clicking on cobble with a hammer to get gravel and sift it and stuff.

Agrarian Skies, 1 & 2. At least 2 is available on several modern launchers.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
can we post our builds here? I've got some screenshots.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Umbreon posted:

This one looks pretty decent so far. I prefer tech over magic, but if I can't find any tech oriented skyboxes then I think I'll go with this one instead

How new are you looking? If 1.12 is still in the range you're looking then Skyfactory 4 is tech-on-tech while PO3 is mostly tech with some magic (and multiple modes with different difficulties). Honorable mention to Omnifactory which is 100% tech focused with zero required combat or exploration. Engimatica 2: Expert Skyblock is also quite good.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

can we post our builds here? I've got some screenshots.

Just Post.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
So, ignore the date, I cheated it to always be daytime because I was tired of losing time I could be using. This is GT:NH.

This is a front view of the base. I essentially settled near my spawn in a valley near a lake. Along the lakeshore is my garden. To the left is my steam setup. In the middle is my new high-pressure steel setup I'm building and my coke oven. To the right is a small pond farm and my dirt house.

Another view of my lakeshore farm and steam setup.

Blast furnace, new high-pressure setup, coke oven, and in the back, a fenced in IC2 crop area.

Chickens, IC2 crops, and cow hole. In the pit near the cow hole is my Nether portal.

Smelter

Dirt house

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Looks like a pretty decent start. Seems like you're spending more time in steam age than you need to considering you spent steel on high pressure steam machines for some reason, and built a liquid boiler before you have any chance of fueling it.
You should also try to find a better location for your base soon. Water tanks generate water based on humidity, and that biome has 30%. You want like 80%.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

McFrugal posted:

Looks like a pretty decent start. Seems like you're spending more time in steam age than you need to considering you spent steel on high pressure steam machines for some reason, and built a liquid boiler before you have any chance of fueling it.
You should also try to find a better location for your base soon. Water tanks generate water based on humidity, and that biome has 30%. You want like 80%.

It rains in this biome regularly, I haven't had any problems with water so far. I have the water generators now, too. If I hook a pump up to one, will it help fill a water tank or steam engine? Also, just hit LV tonight, so I'm ready for more grinding.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Umbreon posted:

Not technically skyblock, but I cut my teeth on Break Out, which is designed as a shorter intro to modded as a whole and runs you through a skyblock-like sequence where the playable area gradually opens up as you figure out how to mine outwards of your starting room. It starts with ex nihilo, which is (was?) still a pretty common starting setup for skyblocks, goes through a few common tech mods (botania, actually additions, enderio, thermal dynamics) as well as AE2, and runs you through tasks that are pretty useful skills in general skyblock like setting up a sifter, generating cobblestone, creating a "dark room" type mob farm, and bootstrapping an AE2 system.

If you'd rather have a meatier/longer-lasting skyblock, of the recommendations posted upthread I might avoid E2E:S (my personal favorite, but leans heavily on nuclearcraft especially later in the game and is tuned to really need it for power generation, and doesn't really teach you reactor designs) and Omnifactory (while you can play it as a skyblock, kinda, you still have to spend the early part of the game mining in the overworld and taking a portal back to your skyblock area, also while it's not GT:NH it's Gregtech based at core which gets very complicated). Maybe Modern Skyblock 3 which has modes where you can either rush through the quests for mods you don't like, like NC, or have entirely kitchen-sink progression within a skyblock environment.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Mycroft Holmes posted:

It rains in this biome regularly, I haven't had any problems with water so far. I have the water generators now, too. If I hook a pump up to one, will it help fill a water tank or steam engine? Also, just hit LV tonight, so I'm ready for more grinding.

By "water tank" I mean the Water Tank Siding railcract multiblocks you have. At 30% humidity they generate 3mb every 8 ticks on average. At 80% it's 8mb every 8 ticks on average. Rainfall triples the rate. By moving to a wetter biome you're getting more water, even when it's raining. This will be a significant issue in LV when you're running an ore washing machine, and you could even run out of water just running boilers to power steam turbines. If you really can't stand the idea of moving your base, you could relocate your water tanks to the magical forest biome that silverwood made, it's got to be more humid than the Prairie you're in. You can of course just make more of them to keep up with demand until you get a Reservoir or Everflowing Urn.

Humidity is also a significant factor when growing IC2 crops with high stats, and in that case you want a large area to grow them in. Bees have some biome requirements as well, though you could just wait until you can do Witchery to change small areas of biome for bees.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Rynoto posted:

How new are you looking? If 1.12 is still in the range you're looking then Skyfactory 4 is tech-on-tech while PO3 is mostly tech with some magic (and multiple modes with different difficulties). Honorable mention to Omnifactory which is 100% tech focused with zero required combat or exploration. Engimatica 2: Expert Skyblock is also quite good.

I like playing whatever the latest version of Minecraft is so I think that's 1.16 right now?

I'm just now realizing that a while back I played PO3, but the friend who introduced it to me somehow disabled the Skyblock stuff and it was nothing but overworld. I didn't even know what Skyblock stuff was back then it was my first time playing modded Minecraft, but god drat did I have a blast even if everything was extremely confusing to me.

GetDunked posted:

Not technically skyblock, but I cut my teeth on Break Out, which is designed as a shorter intro to modded as a whole and runs you through a skyblock-like sequence where the playable area gradually opens up as you figure out how to mine outwards of your starting room. It starts with ex nihilo, which is (was?) still a pretty common starting setup for skyblocks, goes through a few common tech mods (botania, actually additions, enderio, thermal dynamics) as well as AE2, and runs you through tasks that are pretty useful skills in general skyblock like setting up a sifter, generating cobblestone, creating a "dark room" type mob farm, and bootstrapping an AE2 system.

If you'd rather have a meatier/longer-lasting skyblock, of the recommendations posted upthread I might avoid E2E:S (my personal favorite, but leans heavily on nuclearcraft especially later in the game and is tuned to really need it for power generation, and doesn't really teach you reactor designs) and Omnifactory (while you can play it as a skyblock, kinda, you still have to spend the early part of the game mining in the overworld and taking a portal back to your skyblock area, also while it's not GT:NH it's Gregtech based at core which gets very complicated). Maybe Modern Skyblock 3 which has modes where you can either rush through the quests for mods you don't like, like NC, or have entirely kitchen-sink progression within a skyblock environment.

I'm definitely going to try breakout then, something smaller to get my feet wet and then I'll try something a little bit harder.

Umbreon fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Apr 20, 2021

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

GTNH bases. I'm at IV.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
My base on the GTNH official servers, currently at HV :

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

My own GTNH world. I'm in LV, almost at MV.

My base at a wide, high angle. You can see some animal pens I haven't filled, my small farm, my original 9x9 cobblestone houses, my smeltery way in the back, and my steam age setup. I moved to this tropical rainforest a while back to take advantage of the 120% humidity. Unfortunately, it means I can't do any bees here, so that's a bit of a downside for now.

For LV I decided to make a building to house everything in. It currently has two floors, with the second floor being exclusively non-automated coke ovens making creosote. I'll maybe automate them eventually, once I feel like I have resources and brainpower to spare to them.

Another shot of my Steam setup. My power is still based off steam production, so this is all still relevant. I'm currently generating the bulk of my power from one 1x1 solid fuel boiler and two 1x1 liquid fuel boilers. I actually built a 2x2 liquid boiler a while back, but I didn't have enough creosote production set up and automated to keep it full and producing, where the 1x1s burn the creosote slower and therefore make more power with less frequent manual involvement.

Inside the building, my storage is on the side. Everything is unlabeled because I just remember where it all goes. I got the enchanting table from a lootgame the other day. Did you know if you try to pause the lootgame during the final round where it plays a totally new random puzzle, it doesn't count that whole round? I had to play it 5 times to finally get my rewards.

My LV machines. There's a slight bit of automation for some of them, most consisting of automatic chest output or stacking hoppers. The rightmost machines are actually on a separate electric circuit to cut down on wire length. They're mostly machines that want water as an input.

I made a maintenance hall behind those water-needing machines in order to run some internal pipes down to them. This is where the secondary power production for those machines is as well, powered by the single liquid boiler. It's not much, but these machines aren't the ones I'm currently using the most either, so it works out. The nearest steam turbine powers my ULV washer.

My near-future plan is to try out an LV Hydrogen/Oxygen Electrolyzer setup I found on the GTNH wiki. I'll be needing those in decent quantities soon, or so I hear.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
Hey, in that breakout modpack, how do I harvest leaves? I need them to make water

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Umbreon posted:

Hey, in that breakout modpack, how do I harvest leaves? I need them to make water

Shears harvest leaves as a vanilla mechanic.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to optimize Thaumcraft distillation in GT:NH. I don't think the core mechanics on that haven't really changed in that pack. It's using Thaumcraft 4. I'm duplicating a lot of certus quartz because I need heaping fistfuls over fistfuls of the stuff to get an intermediate amount of AE2 working. So I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the alchemy process.

I have an alchemical boiler working on water and an alchemical furnace working on glass. Four parts vitreus from glass and two parts aqua from water let me duplicate a certus quartz crystal. I know if I already have essentia on hand that it runs faster. I'm directly piping the furnaces into the alchemical construct.

It looks like the furnace's internal essential buffer is full and I'm not distilling the vitreus particularly quickly. I've tried bellows on the furnace, as well as connecting an alembic to a buffer with a bellows attached to that. I don't think it's really helping. The FTB Wiki claims "attaching Arcane Bellows to the sides [Re: Alchemical Furnace] increase the speed of draining the buffer," but I don't see any difference.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Hey look what happened.

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/mtqj6n/psa_a_schism_has_formed_in_the_fabric_project_and/?depth=10

(Spoiler: it was because of Player)

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Apr 21, 2021

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

It looks like the furnace's internal essential buffer is full and I'm not distilling the vitreus particularly quickly. I've tried bellows on the furnace, as well as connecting an alembic to a buffer with a bellows attached to that. I don't think it's really helping. The FTB Wiki claims "attaching Arcane Bellows to the sides [Re: Alchemical Furnace] increase the speed of draining the buffer," but I don't see any difference.

Attaching bellows to a furnace increases the smelting speed. I don't know if bellows can attach to ambleics though.

Black Pants posted:

(Spoiler: it was because of Player)

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Rynoto posted:

Shears harvest leaves as a vanilla mechanic.

Thank you. There's a lot of vanilla mechanics I don't know because I mostly played Minecraft when it was still in beta.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

As an internet drama fiend can someone summarize the drama? :sparkles:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
https://gserv.me/minecraft-and-subtle-bigotry/

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

FPzero posted:

My near-future plan is to try out an LV Hydrogen/Oxygen Electrolyzer setup I found on the GTNH wiki. I'll be needing those in decent quantities soon, or so I hear.

So Hydrogen isn't as useful unless you're making fuel from oil. Oxygen gets used in huge quantities for things like the arc furnace or making steel in the Electric Blast Furnace. Electrolyzing also consumes a TON of power (because hydrogen can be used to generate power it needs to be net negative).

What I like to is use a compressor to make compressed air cells, then centrifuge those for nitrogen and oxygen. You can make it an automatic closed system using a GT tank since they auto-empty filled cells and just route the empty ones back into the compressor. The entire setup uses like 10 eu/t which makes it great for running off solar.

The nitrogen can be used to lower the EU cost of making aluminum in the EBF from 192k to 144k so it's actually a net gain of power using the nitrogen that way.

If you've gotten to the twilight forest and have any extra steel, the high pressure solar boilers are an excellent way to power independent low draw setups until you can make ordo infused solar panels with thaumcraft.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm trying to optimize Thaumcraft distillation in GT:NH. I don't think the core mechanics on that haven't really changed in that pack. It's using Thaumcraft 4. I'm duplicating a lot of certus quartz because I need heaping fistfuls over fistfuls of the stuff to get an intermediate amount of AE2 working. So I'm trying to figure out how to speed up the alchemy process.

I have an alchemical boiler working on water and an alchemical furnace working on glass. Four parts vitreus from glass and two parts aqua from water let me duplicate a certus quartz crystal. I know if I already have essentia on hand that it runs faster. I'm directly piping the furnaces into the alchemical construct.

For what it’s worth the only way to speed up the rate at which essentia moves from the furnace to an alembic (any alembic, more alembic won’t speed it up) is using Alumentum as fuel. For this reason I used to create infinite Alumentum to run my essentia burners, though I haven’t in my own GTNH run since they tripled the cost of the conversion and made it harder to get charcoal.

Also there’s an upgraded alchemical furnace in one of the mod mods, it requires Alumentum but is supposed to be even faster? I haven’t tested it yet.

Honestly I can’t imagine needing to duplicate ores in this pack given a casual mine will get thousands upon thousands, and then you can just have a robot mine for you at any level so you can have as many ore veins as you want, but I also cheated in a prospector scanner I guess. It’s probably more important if you’re playing totally legit.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

if you're willing to spend the reseources, a pyrolyse oven will get you near infinite charcoal

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Hooplah posted:

if you're willing to spend the reseources, a pyrolyse oven will get you near infinite charcoal

Yeah, it’s a good idea, it just joins everything else in the “Ugh, gotta get around to building a setup for that” since I also plan on feeding it nitrogen, so I need a nitrogen setup (which I need anyway, admittedly) so I get the byproducts which are an easy way to get into epoxy and cetane chemicals. It’s more work than just feeding wood into an infernal furnace.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BlondRobin posted:

Yeah, it’s a good idea, it just joins everything else in the “Ugh, gotta get around to building a setup for that” since I also plan on feeding it nitrogen, so I need a nitrogen setup (which I need anyway, admittedly) so I get the byproducts which are an easy way to get into epoxy and cetane chemicals. It’s more work than just feeding wood into an infernal furnace.

I actually held off on this until I hit IV, for two reasons.

A) The Air Intake Hatch is available in IV. This generates the air fluid for free, infinitely, and while it's a hatch, you can just plop it down anywhere and pump air out of it into, say, a vacuum freezer.
2) The multiblock centrifuge is available in IV as well. You can use this to centrifuge a large amount of liquid air into nitrogen, oxygen, argon, and "noble gases" (which actually processes into like methane and hydrogen for some reason but w/e.) The argon is used (sort of like nitrogen) to reduce the EBF cook time of some higher-tier materials. It's a good thing to bank up. Also, the multiblock centrifuge requires no cells, which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

BlondRobin posted:

tbh you dont need the nitrogen to get some returns. the whole thing is energy positive converting the liquid byproducts into benzene and burning that. that's what i did until i could get my n2 setup routed into it.

actually i'm not sure it was energy positive before adding n2. it definitely is after, though.