Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

JordanKai posted:

I want to like MachineGames, but their output has steadily gotten worse after TNO, with Youngblood being their worst game yet. They really need to prove themselves again in my eyes. Arkane is great, though.

sorry op youngblood is sick as hell tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JordanKai posted:

I want to like MachineGames, but their output has steadily gotten worse after TNO, with Youngblood being their worst game yet. They really need to prove themselves again in my eyes. Arkane is great, though.

Old Blood is better than New Order and it came out later :colbert:

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Youngblood's a fantastic co-op game. All the modern Wolfenstein games are great.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

josh04 posted:

I have lots of time for DoctorWhat's original point, tbh. Technical limitations and accidents of time and place are essential factor of how we experience art and the pressure with which we're forced to accept questionably modernised "remakes" as 1:1 replacements concerns everyone when it's a Star Wars: Special Edition but somehow not when it's one of the perishingly few videogames with a claim to being art.

All video games are art. Whether or not its *good* art is another debate entirely.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

josh04 posted:

I have lots of time for DoctorWhat's original point, tbh. Technical limitations and accidents of time and place are essential factor of how we experience art and the pressure with which we're forced to accept questionably modernised "remakes" as 1:1 replacements concerns everyone when it's a Star Wars: Special Edition but somehow not when it's one of the perishingly few videogames with a claim to being art.

what does that have to do with television viewing orders, which was doctorwhat's original point

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
tv viewing orders is how my brain impotently attempted to convey that it's very easy to fall into a habit of revisionism when it comes to media and art criticism, and that revisionism is bad

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Calling it revisionism is still stupid tho is the point people were making. Like it's not revisionism to air the show in an order that wasn't how you first watched it, you weirdo.

It's like saying not repeating the saiyin saga 300 times is goku revisionism.

AT MOST you could say "Well it originally didn't air in the narrative order and that would obviously effect how easily you could follow the story and now they're in order", which isn't revisionism trying to change critique or anything.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 20, 2021

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

DoctorWhat posted:

tv viewing orders is how my brain impotently attempted to convey that it's very easy to fall into a habit of revisionism when it comes to media and art criticism, and that revisionism is bad

True but if YouTube poop is art then other kinds of fan-arts.
Actual revisionism in sense of destroying the original is bad of course but I believe “fixes” of art are themselves art even if they’re poo poo art.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wait, is this conversation about watching One Piece without the filler?

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
its about watching exclusively one piece filler

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

ME1 Trip Report: Shut up Ashley [On Loop]

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Violen posted:

its about watching exclusively one piece filler

To be fair once you've seen G-8 it's no way but down from there for the series.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

josh04 posted:

Do do this though. Destroy every original print of Star Wars you ever get your hands on and Hail Satan.

The very recent trend of always online service games is depressing, and even though I've never played it, I'm still mad, in principle, that Bungie has permanently removed years of artwork and environments from Destiny just because.

That said, outside of these games, most video games are tremendously well archived and available. It's much easier to get old obscure abandonware games on the internetarchive then it is to get most old obscure movies, due to printing limitations and copyright.

So, claiming that people don't care about game history doesn't really make sense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DoctorWhat posted:

What you're missing is that broadcast order is sometimes arbitrary revisionism in the first place.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Famethrowa posted:

The very recent trend of always online service games is depressing, and even though I've never played it, I'm still mad, in principle, that Bungie has permanently removed years of artwork and environments from Destiny just because.

That said, outside of these games, most video games are tremendously well archived and available. It's much easier to get old obscure abandonware games on the internetarchive then it is to get most old obscure movies, due to printing limitations and copyright.

So, claiming that people don't care about game history doesn't really make sense.

Yeah the fact that there are games whose intentions are actually against being preserved kinda strikes a blow against any absolutist game purism.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

JordanKai posted:

machinegames has always been kinda like that when it was starbreeze. their games have always been mixed bag mechanically and with shooting and more about characters and story and world building. but yeah Youngblood was a disappointment. i played it at e3 at the booth and it was loving bad. the patches made it way better but yeah. they have always been mechanically weird. the darkness is solid story and character wise but the gameplay is kinda poo poo. as it chronicles of riddick.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s hard to know how much to blame on MachineGames and how much on Bethesda. It certainly doesn’t feel like it was MachineGames’ decision to 1) make a sequel to the last game in trilogy that hadn’t been made yet and 2) have that game be a quasi live service game with repeating quests and way too much experience to gain. I think the rumour was that New Colossus had to be cut down as well because everything was shifted to get Doom 2016 out on time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Kibayasu posted:

It’s hard to know how much to blame on MachineGames and how much on Bethesda. It certainly doesn’t feel like it was MachineGames’ decision to 1) make a sequel to the last game in trilogy that hadn’t been made yet and 2) have that game be a quasi live service game with repeating quests and way too much experience to gain. I think the rumour was that New Colossus had to be cut down as well because everything was shifted to get Doom 2016 out on time.

that wouldnt shock me. TNC feels like it has like 4 or more levels in it. like after you get Horton it feels like you should be raiding more poo poo. like that should be the mid point.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

YoungBlood was really fun with a friend but it felt more like DLC for TNC than a full game. It needed more story and set-pieces in it and some parts of the script I would have changed; there's no loving way Grace, a black revolutionary, would join/head the FBI. It's so incredibly tone-deaf and bad considering what they did to Fred Hampton and the Black Panthers in general. It's such an unbelievably bad oversight.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jimbot posted:

There's no loving way Grace, a black revolutionary, would join/head the FBI.

They should've swerved it for fun and pulled like "The Federated Black (Americans) Initiative" or something at least lmao

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

I see one of the demons inhabiting BoTLs found its way back to us.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

StealthArcher posted:

I see one of the demons inhabiting BoTLs found its way back to us.
It’s that blood test scene from the Thing, but instead we’re asking each person their opinion of the Owls of Ga’Hoole.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Pants Donkey posted:

It’s that blood test scene from the Thing, but instead we’re asking each person their opinion of the Owls of Ga’Hoole.

hahaha yeah

so what'd you think of the movie?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Scholtz posted:

hahaha yeah

so what'd you think of the movie?

*head detaches from body, grows tiny legs, and runs around screaming about how overrated Spider-Verse is*

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Casey Finnigan posted:

I mean Bethesda had the rights, they specialized in making open world games, so they made Fallout 3 into an open world game. They didn't have amazing writers on staff so the writing in their version of Fallout is flaky, but the groundwork they laid down allowed some of the original team to come back and work on New Vegas which kept the open world exploration and allowed the setting to be given narrative justice. Maybe the same thing could happen again with Fallout 4 since Bethesda and Obsidian are now both under the Microsoft umbrella. It doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me.

Of course, Fallout 76 was such a disaster that I'm not sure Bethesda management is capable of making intelligent decisions anymore.

yeah sure, but most of those games have pretty involved plots and pretty complex dialogue systems that incorporate many of the good things that were in original Fallout (I never played Pathfinder though, maybe that one sucks).

I think most of the good writers from NV left Obsidian anyways, though I might be misremembering.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

I think most of the good writers from NV left Obsidian anyways, though I might be misremembering.

i think the most important departure that doesn't really get talked about too much was John Gonzalez, New Vegas' lead writer, leaving for Guerilla to write a little game called Horizon: Zero Dawn

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

The new Wolfenstein games started sucking when they went from the fighting nazis in multiple countries to
just being about america, and how they are the only ones that can beat the nazis and poo poo. Really dissapointing. Showing the americans as nazi supporters doesn't really work when you also go full in on American Exceptionalism.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

i think the most important departure that doesn't really get talked about too much was John Gonzalez, New Vegas' lead writer, leaving for Guerilla to write a little game called Horizon: Zero Dawn

yeah that's who I was thinking of. No idea what HZD is like, didnt really interest me.

Nuebot posted:

I'll be honest, I think I get what DoctorWhat is saying and agree with it to a degree and my example is going to be Final Fantasy Tactics. There's a PSP remake of that game that is, by almost all measure, just flat out better. It's translation isn't jank as hell, it's got some nice cutscenes, it fixes most of the bugs. There are a few mechanical issues but I don't think I've met anyone who says it's not just the good version of the game. I'd even agree that it's the better version of the game.

But it's not the version I like to play. For me the original game's weird as hell translation is very much part of the experience and the bugs were not only bewildering, but equally likely to help the game experience by being exploitable, as they were to hurt it. Any time I think about Final Fantasy Tactics and want to replay it, I default to the original because it's just the version that is, in my mind, the definitive version. And now there's going to be a whole generation of people who've only ever played the remake and will consider that their definitive version so if there's ever another remake they might feel the same about it as I do about this one.

There are things that are subjective to if something is better or not; Is Twin Snakes better than Metal Gear Solid on PS1? Maybe, maybe not. Do balance patches for Dwarf Fortress make the game better? Maybe, maybe not.

But saying that there's zero difference between the Twin Snakes comparison and fixing a cosmically small chance that an event in Fire Emblem 4 won't play out properly that makes the game unwinnable is insane. Yes, fixing that would technically remove an experience the player could have. That does not make it valuable inherently.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 20, 2021

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Youngblood seems okay from a gameplay perspective but everything I've seen of the main characters and how they speak just makes the game utterly unapproachable to me.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

Yeah like most development houses the members matter a lot more than the organisational shell itself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

yeah that's who I was thinking of. No idea what HZD is like, didnt really interest me.

its really good

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Famethrowa posted:

Archiving things for historical purposes is one thing, arguing against improvements and fixes being made is insane.

If some weird hipster in 30 years wants to play unpatched stalker he can feel free but asserting nobody else should play it patched is ridiculous.

Archer666 posted:

Youngblood seems okay from a gameplay perspective but everything I've seen of the main characters and how they speak just makes the game utterly unapproachable to me.

I honestly thought the gameplay was straight up not good. It was such a slog.

Queer Salutations posted:

Youngblood's a fantastic co-op game. All the modern Wolfenstein games are great.

Youngblood is awful and the multiplayer, at least at launch, completely did not work.

So don't you dare think of trying it multiplayer you revisionist gently caress. :toughguy:

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 20, 2021

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I may be a crank who believes that gamers and nerds should suffer a little bit (it builds character) but I haven't called any of you pedophiles so please don't compare me to BotL.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The more I think of it the less I get it, like does that mean early access games should never be finished? If there's a bug that straight up prevents you from playing it like the Age of Empires DS game making the cartridge unusable if your save file was less than 4 letters long? :psyduck:

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
I got really mad when Kanye kept tweaking The Life of Pablo after release and the music press pretended this was a new innovation in album creation, so maybe Doctor What is on to something.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Pants Donkey posted:

*head detaches from body, grows tiny legs, and runs around screaming*

I haven't seen it either

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

DoctorWhat posted:

I may be a crank who believes that gamers and nerds should suffer a little bit (it builds character) but I haven't called any of you pedophiles so please don't compare me to BotL.

I said one of the demons not all, but being pedantic is your thing isnt it.

Also cleaning dust off projector lenses may be horrific revisionism, please submit cleaning requests through your local StArtsi agent.

Joke answer: Just admit youre Joe Fourhman

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 20, 2021

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Alaois posted:

what does that have to do with television viewing orders, which was doctorwhat's original point

Viewing order and pace of viewing is an important part of the context for how something was received. But no-one can control how you watch something now! I can't and won't step into your living room and eject the DVD for attempting to view in production order. It's just a good and interesting point to make, even in the very small example about how Australian viewers were spared Invasion of the Dinosaurs, that the conditions you watch something in now may affect your overall impression. How many viewers of Sherlock found the writing quirks a lot easier to stomach when watching the series over the course of several years, rather than all in one week?

As well, just on the level of individual shows, "watch in production order" can be a useless mantra. It means the second episode of Batman: The Animated Series you watch is an appalling Christmas special.

Famethrowa posted:

It's not a slur on gaming enthusiasts that they don't sufficiently care, it's a criticism of the industry that is, among other things, actively trying to remove resources like the ones you listed. All I want to say is that a remake is not an equivalent substitute for the original, but the industry likes to present it as being so when producing them.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

Acerbatus posted:

Youngblood is awful and the multiplayer, at least at launch, completely did not work.

So don't you dare think of trying it multiplayer you revisionist gently caress. :toughguy:

I played through the entire thing with a buddy online during the launch week with no issues. It was great. 7/10 game, would co-op again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't see why some of you are being so lovely to DoctorWhat. Like, his position is a bit extreme but there are certainly aspects of it that I agree with, it's resulted in some quite decent discussion over the past few pages and he hasn't really been much of a dick about it.