Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pham Nuwen posted:

You're thinking of the Pareto Principle. Personally, I prefer Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

Wait, isn't the Pareto Principle and Sturgeon's Law the same thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Wait, isn't the Pareto Principle and Sturgeon's Law the same thing

Pareto Principle says that in general, 80% of consequences arise from 20% of effects. Thus, 20% of your customers will account for 80% of your support requests, etc.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

My mom bought an 85 Mercury Topaz brand new after coming from a Honda.

She got rid of it in less than a year and turned her off domestics to this day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If it has a 351 Cleveland in it I'd be all over it

152 screaming horsepower worth of smog-era 351M.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

MrYenko posted:

With great power comes great responsibility

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pham Nuwen posted:

Pareto Principle says that in general, 80% of consequences arise from 20% of effects. Thus, 20% of your customers will account for 80% of your support requests, etc.

I feel like in terms of "good auto ads" they are very similar, in that they say 10-20% are the ones you really want to pursue, and ignore the rest. On the other hand, I feel that saying that 20% of car ads on facebook marketplace are lame fuckarounds....I dunno, that seems low

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I have another theory

Old Jaguars are much cheaper easier to find, because while people were driving and using up Mercedes Benz and BMW, Jags were in the shop being fixed

I've had so many people say that "Chevettes/cavaliers/sunbirds/insert pile of poo poo here are so awesome cause they last forever"!! I usually reply that year, if you just keep replacing parts all the time, its like a brand new car every few years.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

I've had so many people say that "Chevettes/cavaliers/sunbirds/insert pile of poo poo here are so awesome cause they last forever"!! I usually reply that year, if you just keep replacing parts all the time, its like a brand new car every few years.

Anyone who thinks a Chevette is a good car needs to have their head examined.

My family had one when I was a kid, it was a shitbox from the time we got it. It's weird as a five-year-old to think "wow, this car is a piece of poo poo".

My older sister bought one that was (miraculously) in decent shape a few years ago, gave it a quick rattlecan paint job and now kind of keeps it around as a joke. Every so often they'll bring it to a family event if it isn't too far of a drive and the weather is nice.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

We had two, and yeah, I knew they were a pile of poo poo at a young age. With the floorboards rusted out my dad dropped his sunglasses and he ended up running them over.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

TotalLossBrain posted:

With great power comes great responsibility

So that car is basically irresponsible?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Somebody really liked a BMW:

1990 BMW Series 5
$5,000

1992 BMW 525iA, 4Dr, V6, AWD
200000kms, sold As Is Where Is. Estate Sale.
2 Donor cars for parts to go with same! Oodles of parts!
Donor cars are stored in St.John’s.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Oh didn't know that was a smog era car. A buddy of mine had the same body style LTD with a 351 and it was a relatively fast and good car but it must have been pre smog

Wonder how hard it would have been to de-smog cars like that tho....Carbs were probably the biggest part, take off the two barrel and slap on a four, etc

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

BLASPHEMY

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Oh didn't know that was a smog era car. A buddy of mine had the same body style LTD with a 351 and it was a relatively fast and good car but it must have been pre smog

Wonder how hard it would have been to de-smog cars like that tho....Carbs were probably the biggest part, take off the two barrel and slap on a four, etc

Yeah when that car was built the Cleveland had been out of production (excluding The Land of Oz) for 4 years. That could just as easily be a 302 or a 400 though.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

https://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/d/corvallis-old-school-buick-lesabre-ss/7306780199.html

https://eugene.craigslist.org/ctd/d/eugene-1982-cadillac-deville-hearse/7295414849.html

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Those would make awesome overlanding vehicles. Twice the interior space of a 4Runner and you'd actually attract attention rather than just be another rear end in a top hat with a good credit score.

nadmonk
Nov 26, 2017

The spice must flow in and through me.
The fire will cleanse me body and soul.

The number of times I see people advertise V6s in BMWs is truly impressive.
Although who knows, maybe there are a boatload of LFX swaps floating around we just don't know about.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

nadmonk posted:

Although who knows, maybe there are a boatload of LFX swaps floating around we just don't know about.

To be strictly fair, this is an estate sale, so the person writing the ad is not the former owner.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

This one is in the area too: https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/d/vancouver-1969-cadillac-miller-meteor/7309489095.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

nadmonk posted:

It could be a former V8

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
These custom old hearses and limos look so much better than any new one just by being truly custom. It's not just cut and stretch sections of the body, the door panels are totally different from the regular models. The front doors are longer than sedan doors but not coupe doors. They surely had some tricks to doing this that I don't know.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

"Let's see if there's any cool hearses near me," I think:

WTF?

Ah, I see:

FUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUU. I suppose if I went through and flagged every one of those, Craigslist's software would probably decide I was doing something malicious instead of trying to correct a scumfuck idiot dealer.

Anyway, here's the one legitimate result:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/novato-1962-pontiac-bonneville-superior/7307576377.html

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Pontiac hearse.

I demand to be hearsed in a GTO hearse. :colbert:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

MrYenko posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Pontiac hearse.

I demand to be hearsed in a GTO hearse. :colbert:

How about :

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/1996-buick-roadmaster-hearse/1558583201

Also for $12K, though I think with "only one of its kind" selling for same, I'd say that's a trifle expensive.

Hearse confession: I've wanted to buy a RWD hearse and turn it into a camper for like forever

Ha, speaking of B-bodies, Pontiac, and hearses (a word that very rarely gets a plural):

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/pontiac-parisienne-hearse-very-cool-car-ready-for-summer/1559459414

Pontiac Parisienne Hearse - very cool car - ready for summer!
$5,600.00

Selling my 1986 Pontiac Parisienne hearse, built by Eureka. Much more rare to see the Pontiac version compared to the Cadillac. Roughly about 80 completed before Pontiac stopped production of the Parisienne. A very cool car that will turn heads anywhere it goes. Extremely reliable and well maintained. Stored inside the funeral home most of its life. Not many of these cars around and very seldom do they come up for sale. Don’t miss your chance to own this gem!

Comes with a 305 V8 engine that was just given a synthetic oil change. Wheel bearings have all been repacked and she even has a brand new alternator. All dressed up and ready for her next owner. Priced at $5,600 OBO

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Business up front, Rave in the Grave out back.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Huh, this is goofy. Both the Roadmaster Hearse and this are in Barrie, Ontario:

1952 Military Ambulance
$12,500.00

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/1952-military-ambulance/1560701063

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nebakenezzer posted:

How about :

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/1996-buick-roadmaster-hearse/1558583201

Also for $12K, though I think with "only one of its kind" selling for same, I'd say that's a trifle expensive.

Hearse confession: I've wanted to buy a RWD hearse and turn it into a camper for like forever

Ha, speaking of B-bodies, Pontiac, and hearses (a word that very rarely gets a plural):

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/pontiac-parisienne-hearse-very-cool-car-ready-for-summer/1559459414

$5,600.00

Selling my 1986 Pontiac Parisienne hearse, built by Eureka. Much more rare to see the Pontiac version compared to the Cadillac. Roughly about 80 completed before Pontiac stopped production of the Parisienne. A very cool car that will turn heads anywhere it goes. Extremely reliable and well maintained. Stored inside the funeral home most of its life. Not many of these cars around and very seldom do they come up for sale. Don’t miss your chance to own this gem!

Comes with a 305 V8 engine that was just given a synthetic oil change. Wheel bearings have all been repacked and she even has a brand new alternator. All dressed up and ready for her next owner. Priced at $5,600 OBO

A Pontiac hearse?

Well, I guess its like they say, Pontiac = Poor Old Nitwit Thinks Its A Cadillac.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Dear god, having a straddled with that.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

The wheels on that Pontiac look like they were stolen off a 1995 Tercel. It would look so much better with better wheels.

E: also mismatched tires

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

$5,600.00

:aaaaa:

“I’d like to have my loved one taken to the cemetery in style.”

*sees the bill for a Cadillac hearse*

“No, not that much style.”

*Is shown a very marginally smaller bill for a Pontiac Parisienne Hearse*

“Perfect.”

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MrYenko posted:

:aaaaa:

“I’d like to have my loved one taken to the cemetery in style.”

*sees the bill for a Cadillac hearse*

“No, not that much style.”

*Is shown a very marginally smaller bill for a Pontiac Parisienne Hearse*

“Perfect.”

Hey, Pontiac Builds Excitement.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Drive me to the grave in a 57 chevy wagon.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Nebakenezzer posted:

Huh, this is goofy. Both the Roadmaster Hearse and this are in Barrie, Ontario:

1952 Military Ambulance
$12,500.00

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/barrie/1952-military-ambulance/1560701063

Mash cosplay.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Drive me to the grave in a lifted AMC Eagle wagon

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.

Steely Dad posted:

The wheels on that Pontiac look like they were stolen off a 1995 Tercel. It would look so much better with better wheels.

Those look like those replacement plastic hubcaps they used to sell at Canadian Tire.

I once saw an ad for a Delta 88 based funeral coach being sold as a “Hearse/Olds”. :dadjoke:

Fornax Disaster fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Apr 21, 2021

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ComfyPants posted:

I had an 87 Tempo in college and it was the biggest pile of poo poo ever. Broke down every couple of months and I had to select-shift the slushbox to get it to move with any speed.

i learned to drive on a 92 tempo and it almost killed my desire to even get a license. merging onto highways with it was terrifying.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
It's that time of year when I look at local miatas despite having a well running miata in my garage:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/purcellville-miata-roadster/7310161129.html

Lots to check off here, but loving the timing of the B(lue)LM sticker. Going for a very specific type of buyer or just oblivious?

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Fornax Disaster posted:

I once saw an ad for a Delta 88 based funeral coach being sold as a “Hearse/Olds”. :dadjoke:

Nice.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Steely Dad posted:

They’re just terrible aftermarket wheel covers. The proper GM wire covers would look a lot better.

Bud posted:

It's that time of year when I look at local miatas despite having a well running miata in my garage:

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/d/purcellville-miata-roadster/7310161129.html

Lots to check off here, but loving the timing of the B(lue)LM sticker. Going for a very specific type of buyer or just oblivious?

Isn’t that sticker technically defacing the US flag, and therefore unlawful (though unpunishable .)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Isn’t that sticker technically defacing the US flag, and therefore unlawful (though unpunishable .)

Same with any clothing made out of the flag.

I think most people get away with it by never actually assembling it into a flag first.