Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
all yalls glassware is rad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

We've got one of those Apollo glasses just with out the foot on it.
I've been picking up a lot of old corningware at thrift stores for cheap lately.
Who doesn't love cookware made of of the same stuff they made ballistic missle nose cones out of?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay what the gently caress

Cocktail peanuts in a glass of coca-cola! I've told many people about this, and most of the time people say "oh thats a southern thing" - however this was given to me by my grandma who was born in Boston MA in 1915 - Her description about it was when she worked for a department store in LA in the 30s, she started doing this to save time on her lunch break... maybe she learned it from a southern friend? who knows, but it was one of my favorite treats.

Personally I love it because it adds a creamy taste to coke, which by itself is not really my favorite soda in general.

this also works for Dr. Pepper and root beer as well.

sharkytm posted:

It's kinda like a Payday bar in drink form. It's... Weird but good?

good description - its very good!

STR posted:

We called those "cowboys on horseback" when I was a kid.

No, I don't know why they were called that, aside from being in Texas. But I'm suddenly hungry, think I'll fix a couple of them.

It's always surprising to me about how little this dish is talked about and how many names it goes by !

PainterofCrap posted:

We have a set of four of these glasses - unlike your tumblers, these are more of a novelty item than a memento. Shot from the nozzle, chaser in the big end.

We have a couple of those Pyrex pans, one of those 6" and I think we have a 10" or 12" somewhere, although my son may have nicked it for his house.

Also had the saucepan and a couple of the percolators, which made great coffee but were a bitch to clean. It is extremely counter-intuitive to cook in glass over an open flame.

You have to find the correct heat range. If the plugs are fouling, they're too 'cold' for your engine; and by the looks of those snowy deposits, the NGKs are too hot. There's a Goldilocks somewhere between them. (edit: 2nd look, that may be a good cafe creme color...hard to tell. Maybe a little hot)

Those glasses are pretty cool - I've seen a few of them for sale over the years but none in good enough shape to strike - I still get kinda weird about old cookware, even tho I have a lot of it.

about the plugs, I rejetted and to me these look just about right - at this point anything other than black looks good to me also. I need to baseline the carbs again and just play with them until I get it right. There's an area not too far from me that has big wide open areas to just mess around, I need to go there, and just tune on it for a bit. I buzzed my neighborhood so much that I'm afraid someone is going to get mad.

everdave posted:

Those glasses are so cool! With so much awesomeness you have collected how do you decide what to use/open/keep? Do you sell much? I’d have to imagine you have some valuable items collecting dust

this is a hard one - I've recently started to thin out a bit, I started an instagram page where I sell stuff, a few friends of mine have started similar pages and have had pretty good success - I'm also planning a garage sale pretty soon :shrug:

so in short, I tend to sell stuff, but replace it with better, cooler stuff. My wife is a dedicated ebay seller - she helps me get rid of stuff pretty regularly too

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LobsterboyX posted:

but its not big enough to make my other favorite depression era food "egg-in-a-hole"

We did these in Boy Scouts but stuck a sausage link in there and called them "glory holes" because we were a crass troop and it's the height of comedy when you're 14.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Midjack posted:

We did these in Boy Scouts but stuck a sausage link in there and called them "glory holes" because we were a crass troop and it's the height of comedy when you're 14.

Grown rear end adult snickering over here.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
there was a (gone, rip) local breakfast place in my hometown that did those, but it was more of a french toast kind of egg/milk thing, just with a whole egg in the bread too. they called them "hole in the wall"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Midjack posted:

Ya no, this is still funny at 38.

:v:

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

IOwnCalculus posted:

Grown rear end adult snickering over here.

...And then the yolk dribbles down your chin.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Ok, now add some hollandaise.

HEY LOBSTERMAN! Am I correct in recognizing that for sale black caddy on insta?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

Krakkles posted:

Ok, now add some hollandaise.

HEY LOBSTERMAN! Am I correct in recognizing that for sale black caddy on insta?

:parrot: mmmmmmmaaayyyyybbbeeeeeeee.... He was looking for some help to get rid of it so I just slipped it in to my feed.

I had quite an experience today... I can't talk about it too much, but I may be making my way in to serious race motors for my model a.... Also, my new friend has floored me with his collection.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

Love this thread and all of the amazing old cars and other stuff you share. I collect a bunch of stuff including old glassware along the same lines... Mostly go for branded coffee mugs, and oddball souvenir items (I love those dumb 60s/70s 'Siestaware' wood handled brown glass mugs!). Here's one of my favorites commemorating a local landmark of civil engineering:

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
It really feels good to get back to cruising..

I really havent had time for much in the way of cars, but I think these things are pretty cool - a friend of mine saw my engine cowling and sent me a lovely little birthday gift...

and these:

Very cool Douglas items - these locks are all stamped with Douglas Air Co. - sadly no keys - I got in to lock picking a few years back because of youtube, and I tried to pick these things - no dice yet.. I was close on one of them, but couldn't finish it - I'm just not skilled enough. My neighbors son is a locksmith, when I hit him up he said he may be able to take an impression, but according to him, these old Yale locks are not the easiest locks and sometimes they can even trip up (but not defeat) skilled pickers - so I didn't feel so bad.

I also got a new hat...

https://www.ebbets.com/collections/ballcaps/products/minnehaha-motor-co-1930-vintage-ballcap

Ebbets field flannels is an awesome company making realllllllllly high end reproduction hats and other sportsware - I found them a few years ago and have a lot of their stuff.

the story of the Ha Ha hat from their site:
Beyond the organized Negro Leagues there were many semi-professional and amateur Black ballclubs sponsored by local businesses. This Depression-era Florida team was supported by the Minnehaha Lake Motor Co.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

LobsterboyX posted:

this is a video of the car running, I just dont know how to embed it?

You paste it using the Imgur-generated code, but it won't autoplay - you have to click on it to open on Imgur. Like this one:

(click to play on Imgur)

Yours doesn't seem to work, though.

super nailgun posted:

Love this thread and all of the amazing old cars and other stuff you share. I collect a bunch of stuff including old glassware along the same lines... Mostly go for branded coffee mugs, and oddball souvenir items (I love those dumb 60s/70s 'Siestaware' wood handled brown glass mugs!). Here's one of my favorites commemorating a local landmark of civil engineering:

My favorite "vintage" glass/cup is the aluminum/pewter tankards with the glass bottom. My folks have a set of these, and they were the cup to use when I was a kid (maaaaany years ago...) on pizza nights, the rare dinner that we were allowed to eat in front of the TV rather than the dinner table, and have soda!
I found a couple on eBay for a price I was willing to pay (not really expensive, but I have a limit on what I'll pay for a drinking glass) a few years ago.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
As much as I love vintage stuff, there's one cup that I will always remember fondly over all else.

also these:

My grandparents had a full set of these that were used daily - When my grandmother passed away my older cousin swooped in and stole them from the house, he's got a huge house in the bay area and he's rarely (wife #2 lives in San Diego, so he spends most of his time there) there, so whenever my wife and I go up there we use it as our home base - well, last time I was up there, I stole them back and he has yet to notice... or at least I think he hasn't... this was in late 2019 before my wife got pregnant and obviously pre covid - he hasn't been around to visit since then, so I've been waiting for the perfect opportunity to pour him a cocktail in the twice stolen fish glasses...

Also, I've loving had it with trying to be king cool dude with this generator poo poo. I'm done doing this every god drat week..

the 48 has a stock 6v generator that I had turned in to a 12v generator - it was done by an old shop, and you're basically overclocking your generator to put out way more than it was ever designed to do. I'm tired of voltage regulators, I've had new ones, NOS ones, and even very expensive rare see-thru clear case covers - they are crap, and its time to get with the times. As soon as I get paid from this last little job I did, I'm buying one of these fuckers

alternator with generator look - FTW, I don't care anymore, I'm so sick of this poo poo its painful.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Those fish glasses are super cool.

And good on you for ditching the generator. Technology has moved on. I get trying to keep the period look, but if poo poo doesn't work, you gotta do what's right for you.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

sharkytm posted:

Those fish glasses are super cool.

And good on you for ditching the generator. Technology has moved on. I get trying to keep the period look, but if poo poo doesn't work, you gotta do what's right for you.

Agreed on both counts. The generator isn't what makes that car unique. There are always going to be snobs about stuff like that but sometimes it's just time to move on and use something a bit more modern for something like power generation. It's not like you are taking the engine out and putting an LS1 in (although that would make the car unique in it's own way). For something that actually gets driven, it's good to be able to actually drive it.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I have gotten into a pretty big fight with the mechanical voltage regulators for generators, I have one holdout that I won't convert because I actually rebuilt(ish) the 6v positive ground tube radio, and that's neat AF. It doesn't quite work right, it needs more tinkering. But how many tube radios are still working in cars.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

chrisgt posted:

I have gotten into a pretty big fight with the mechanical voltage regulators for generators, I have one holdout that I won't convert because I actually rebuilt(ish) the 6v positive ground tube radio, and that's neat AF. It doesn't quite work right, it needs more tinkering. But how many tube radios are still working in cars.

I mean that's cool and all and definitely unique, but it could also be achieved by using a normal system and a couple dollar high efficiency DC-DC converter on the battery or a rectifier + converter on the output of the alternator to achieve the same effect.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

LobsterboyX posted:

they are crap, and its time to get with the times. As soon as I get paid from this last little job I did, I'm buying one of these fuckers

alternator with generator look - FTW, I don't care anymore, I'm so sick of this poo poo its painful.

The fish glasses own! Also the Flintstone one is vaguely familiar...

As for generators, yeaaah. Just what they are. Swapping to an alternator? go for it. Its no different than points vs. Pertronix. At the end of the day its not about what charges the battery or what makes the coil fire. There's more than enough originality to keep the vehicle interesting even with a couple modern features hidden in. If its consistently inconsistent, its a pain. Sure its period correct in a way, but drat what a hassle when its impacting drivability on a regular basis.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We have a set of those, but bought them a piece at a time; those, a couple tumblers, and at least two juice glasses. We love 'em!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Apparently those are "Atomic Fish" print by Libbey. There's a lot of fans of them out there and they seem to have all kinds of sizes. I vaguely remember my grandparents having some of them, too.
https://www.google.com/search?q=atomic+fish+print+libbey+glasses

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

LobsterboyX posted:

I also got a new hat...

https://www.ebbets.com/collections/ballcaps/products/minnehaha-motor-co-1930-vintage-ballcap

Ebbets field flannels is an awesome company making realllllllllly high end reproduction hats and other sportsware - I found them a few years ago and have a lot of their stuff.

the story of the Ha Ha hat from their site:
Beyond the organized Negro Leagues there were many semi-professional and amateur Black ballclubs sponsored by local businesses. This Depression-era Florida team was supported by the Minnehaha Lake Motor Co.

this is cool as hell

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Minnesota Mixup posted:

I mean that's cool and all and definitely unique, but it could also be achieved by using a normal system and a couple dollar high efficiency DC-DC converter on the battery or a rectifier + converter on the output of the alternator to achieve the same effect.

It's not a daily driver, sometimes it's fun to tinker with old things and keep them working.
There's a time and place for everything, and sometimes keeping an old piece of equipment running is very satisfying.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

chrisgt posted:

It's not a daily driver, sometimes it's fun to tinker with old things and keep them working.
There's a time and place for everything, and sometimes keeping an old piece of equipment running is very satisfying.

Oh I meant to power the tube radio to keep that intact, as that definitely is awesome. But yeah if it's not a daily or even a 'it needs to work when I want to get it to shows/go cruise' then yeah no need to think about it. I think for a lot of classic cars it's about keeping it original because you want the 'experience' that someone that had had that car in the proper time period would have had. For me if it was a daily or even a cruise vehicle I would want to upgrade something that doesn't add to the driving experience like the generator, since it not working would preclude me from enjoying the engine, the chassis, etc. But to each their own and I respect anyone that wants to keep something 100% original for the experience, not for the 'well I can sell this to a collector since it's all numbers matching.'

And there's definitely the satisfaction of keeping something going far past it's best by date. The same sort of satisfaction you get when you repair something that is 'non-serviceable' instead of adding it to a landfill and buying a replacement.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I used to restore all my tube radios in the cars, they kept popping and breaking so I stopped chasing it - I also bought a big voltage drop unit for the car that worked pretty well, but got very hot. I have a little bluetooth speaker now and while its not the most convenient thing in the world, it works.

A few years back I had a friend of mine who makes guitar amps do up this Philco speaker in to a stand alone battery powered bluetooth speaker - I have to get some photos of it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Just caught up on this thread and that Buick is cool but seems like quite the project. Do you weld? Nothing wrong with a project that takes years though, especially if it becomes a father / son project. I've been working on my wife letting me buy my 10 month old daughter her first dirt bike when she's five as a father / daughter activity, but a suv hit me on my bike and half-tore my thumb off recently which isn't making it any easier (but does give me time to catch up on months of threads, it's pretty satisfying to binge read project threads). That engine cowling is awesome too, but my favorite find is the air brake pool fence.

I'm also glad you posted the most important part of the Madonna Inn, the crazy waterfall urinal.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Just caught up on this thread and that Buick is cool but seems like quite the project. Do you weld? Nothing wrong with a project that takes years though, especially if it becomes a father / son project. I've been working on my wife letting me buy my 10 month old daughter her first dirt bike when she's five as a father / daughter activity, but a suv hit me on my bike and half-tore my thumb off recently which isn't making it any easier (but does give me time to catch up on months of threads, it's pretty satisfying to binge read project threads). That engine cowling is awesome too, but my favorite find is the air brake pool fence.

I'm also glad you posted the most important part of the Madonna Inn, the crazy waterfall urinal.

I do weld but at a very amateur level - I'm hoping to farm out the floor stuff to a qualified person, I'm more of a bolter than a builder and I don't pretend to know what I'm doing with body work - but IMHO, the body is really going to have to come off this thing. My plan is to slow roll the body work and have my custom car guy friends get the car solid - as in if you drop your phone, it wont wind up on the road. I'm more confident with engine work and budget-esque restoration. For instance, the first thing I'm planning to do is pull the nose off the car, get the inner fenders and rad support blasted and either powder coated or paint them - then really dive in to the motor teardown - I have a feeling the motor will run - at least good enough to putt it around - As of right now, I have all the parts I need to get it running again, however unlike any car I've ever had, I really want to do it thoughtfully - as in, I'm not going to assemble anything until each part is cleaned, painted, surfaced and I'm sure its ok - where as before I'd throw parts on without painting them, didn't clean old gaskets, ect - lazy poo poo, I feel like I have the time with this one, and its more deserving of the proper treatment. I really want to get the body under way so that I can focus on the fun stuff - my custom buddy and I hatched a plan that we'd slow roll the gently caress out of the body, while I did the frame, suspension, engine, dashboard/gauges - all that kind of fiddly stuff before mating the two back together. I say this project is going to take years, but knowing me, and even my wife who's ready drive this car herself, it will be as fast as my wallet will allow it to go. I'm also stomaching the fact that once the bottom side of this body is done, there may be a reason to actually paint a car.. and because its a factory black car... that decision feels easier than if it was some garish 50s color, I may even consider a production shop style job on it.

also ouch on the thumb - but having a kid really makes the "its for the kid when he/shes older" excuse to buy poo poo easier - at least for me.

...and you cant talk about the madonna inn without talking about the waterfall.

Little do most people know that there is a pint size, in some ways, more insane themed hotel about 45 minutes south of the Madonna...

Known as "The Victorian Mansion" this really cool old house turned BnB sports some wacky themed rooms - I stayed there for a part of my honeymoon

the exterior

and the room we stayed in:

yes, you sleep in the cadillac, and yes you can watch movies on the drive in screen..

https://www.thevick.com/rooms/50s-suite.html

In looking back this far in my imgur album I see things like this:

I cant believe I sold that genie pinball machine.. I still have creature tho.

and this awesome house which was used for so many movies and tv shows, which is now bulldozed..

long story on that one, but the owner was in his 90s, and was the son of the man that built the house in 1921 - at one point it was the farmhouse for a 10 acre orange grove... My friends and I would go visit him and show him our cars and he'd just tell us stories of how the valley used to look.

also, the bowling alley from the movie pleasantville - our wedding reception was here as well

and that time I helped put an engine in my buddys kenworth using a this 1966 crane truck

and that time we had tuna sandwiches without crust..

and that time I got to drive one of these..

ok enough...

heres my roadster stereo I was talking about :

on off, indicator, volume and power input to charge the 18650s on board - I had this mounted in my roadster, but since I did all that fuel system work I have to re-make some mounts for it, this time I want to make it detachable so that I dont have to run a cord in to the car when I have to charge it - its got 4 speakers and a bluetooth amp - sounds decent, a bit on the tinny side, but its loud enough to hear while driving.

its been kinda hard to work on anything with this giant car in the garage - my roadster is really looking shabby being outside..

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

whoa whoa whoa you can't just dangle what appears to be an old sheet metal scoot in the foreground and not give some deets

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

OMGVBFLOL posted:

whoa whoa whoa you can't just dangle what appears to be an old sheet metal scoot in the foreground and not give some deets

Ah, thats just "me scootah"

It's a 1960 Vespa VBA - its a real Italian import that was restored in the early 00's by scooter works in chicago - its a 150 with a 4 speed upgrade and a reproduction shotgun Abarth pipe. I've had to re-jet it a few times over the years since I did the pipe - but I think I found the right combo and this thing hauls rear end especially with the 4th gear, they came stock with 3

My cousin bought this for his wife in about 2002ish? She rode it once, hated it and it sat there for about 10 years. Whenever I'd visit him I'd get it running again and ride it all over San Fransisco which is really the kind of city that bikes like this are made for. I wound up buying it from him in about 2010 when I was still riding pretty frequently. in 2014 I had my final close call on one of my motorcycles and that night I called a friend (a former goon actually) and told him I was ready to sell him the bike he had been hounding me about for years, but the catch is he had to buy ALL my motorcycles, because I was done riding. This Vespa is the only one I kept - I still ride it to the coffee shop at the end of the block and take it to drag strip events and other places pit bikes are allowed, its probably been ridden on the street further than the coffee shop maybe once or twice since 2014 - one day I want to chrome the whole thing out and do the Mod thing, or just keep putting it around as is. These things can be just as dangerous as motorcycles, and really maybe even more dangerous due to the little tiny wheels and joke brakes. LA drivers just cannot be trusted, and I've lost too many friends to motorcycle accidents to continue taking chances on the street with this thing, plus its so drat cute, I dont want to wreck it.

-

I was at a plastic shop this morning and I decided it was time to build myself some door panels for the roadster - I started with a sheet of PVC and started cutting until this happened.

I ordered some matching oxblood vinyl today, so I'll update this as I go along - but I'm going ultra cheap on this - I found an upholstery supply shop not too far away from me, so just in talking to those guys, its going to have pleats to match my seat - I've really wanted to try to do my own interior stuff for so long, so becase the car is so small, its ultra cheap - if it comes out lovely, then whatever, it wasn't a huge investment. said and done I've got all the materials for less than 100 bucks

I also decided I'm going to reproduce this sticker - started the design work on it this afternoon:

-

Also I wrote this long winded bullshit in the chat thread - want to put it here too so it doesnt get lost:

Advent Horizon posted:

That sounds awesome. Do you AirBnB it or is it just a hangout?

Any tips on Tiki design? I知 trying to do my weight room as a Tiki space (I get it, not for relaxing, but whatever). I致e got the window figured out, I think, I just need to find the time to do it - I知 planning to set it up similar to the windows at the Tiki Room; it opens under my deck so could really use some false sunrise color.

The room, for reference. Plan is to put in can lights w/ color and cover the ceiling with matting, beyond that I知 lost. I知 not a creative individual.

for right now our place is just a kinda storage unit but you can actually get inside, I have a really beautiful set of 1940s rattan furniture, my old '54 refridgerator and my pinball machine in there so its kinda a "dirty lounge" at the moment

the best thing to do with creating a tiki space is decide what subset of tiki you want to use - theres like the hardcore tiki lounges - some reference bars to this would be: Smugglers Cove in san fransisco, frankies tiki room in vegas and the forbidden island in Alameda ca. - also False Idol in san diego - there's really mid century hang outs like Tonga Hut in Palm springs and here in LA - The Reef in palm springs - Kona Club in oakland... the list goes on. common theme - walt disneys tiki room

For mine I really want to go over the top - I want it to be indiana jones meets all the bars i mentioned above - the room has high pitched celing, and two massive 6x10 beams that goes across.

I started modeling the room, but haven't gotten much further than this:

at one point I was also contemplating doing the padded door from peewees playhouse as the door to the bathroom, I had to reel myself in on that one because its so off theme.

This is also my bathroom I designed - old photo from when we were building it:

but imagine that mixed with:

mixed with:

and thats what I want it to look like!

also the animatronic parrot...

Captain McAllister posted:

Cool, which car? The Buick? I've played the hell out of LA Noire, and love just cruising around Golden Era LA.

yes, my black 48 buick -

A few years before the game came out, I was at a weekly cruise night and was approached by 3 or 4 of guys with Australian accents they asked if they could take very detailed photos of my car for a project they were working on - I didn't think much of it and let them take as many pictures as they wanted - I even told them they could get inside it and do whatever. The one guy I was talking to mentioned that they were a support team for a video game company and that they were taking pictures of 40s cars for an upcoming game but couldn't tell me anymore about it. Spoke more to them about cars and they started asking me if I knew any other 40s era cars that they could photograph - specifically the Tucker, of which I'm very familiar with.. At the time the peterson auto museum had one on display so they decided to go there the next day. They thanked me and went on their way, I forgot about it completely until the game came out - I was so hyped on it that I bought an 360 just to play it. as I'm in the game, I realize that they have MY CAR! - how do I know it was my car?

back then my car looked like this:

note no trim on the rear fender skirt, and my hubcap situation - now look at their model:

https://lanoire.fandom.com/wiki/Buick_2DR_Sedanette?file=1947-buick-sedanette.jpg

heres what my car looks like now a a more stock appearing car:

ok ok ok - coincidence? no... why?

They mentioned they were headed to the peterson the next day to photograph the Tucker they have on display there.. there were only 50 of these cars made with only 48 known to survive. each one is well documented and each has their own unique history. The peterson owns number 30 - and number 30 was customized in the 50s with this unique scoop on the trunk deck:

and...

https://lanoire.fandom.com/wiki/Tucker_Torpedo?file=1948-tucker-torpedo.jpg

So unless theres another game made by an Austrailian company that has anything to do with 40s cars, I'm pretty sure that my own car was used as the basis for the model of the car in LA Noire.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I知 back, and for that I am sorry

At first I thought you were going to do the offroad thing and just have plastic door cards, which would 100% not match that car. I bet the vinyl will look good.

LobsterboyX posted:

I also decided I'm going to reproduce this sticker - started the design work on it this afternoon:

We will all buy copies of that sticker if you sell them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

that scooter sounds like a whole bag of fun, and definitely sounds like the sort of not-your-ordinary pit bike that would suit you

has anyone taken it down a drag strip? i'll bet it's faster than my GF impreza lmao

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Well drat, I've owned that game for a few years and haven't got around to playing it. I'll have to install it now and explode your car a few times.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Advent Horizon posted:

At first I thought you were going to do the offroad thing and just have plastic door cards, which would 100% not match that car. I bet the vinyl will look good.

I love the driver's expression. That's a "Hell yeah, I'm a traffic violator" grin if I've ever seen one.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

sharkytm posted:

I love the driver's expression. That's a "Hell yeah, I'm a traffic violator" grin if I've ever seen one.

its almost like a badge of honor...

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

The heck is that thing on the side? Is it an ancient battery or something?

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003

ishikabibble posted:

The heck is that thing on the side? Is it an ancient battery or something?

yes those are group size 3EE batteries - they are still available for forklifts and tractors - I have them in all my buicks - the only one that doesn't use this group size is the ford model a...

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/products/3ee-vhd?productLine=industrial&subcategoryKey=&ignorecategoryid=true

there are even a few places that make reproductions of vintage batteries with AGM cores..

Here's the old one I pulled out of my 42...

and heres the vintage one I have in my wagon...

LobsterboyX fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 15, 2021

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
how do you use a vintage battery? does someone rebuild them with new plates? can you desulphate a 70-year-old battery with any hope of success? were they new old stock, stored dry?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Advent Horizon posted:

Agreed, if you do a run of those stickers I'll buy a few.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Some version of this process?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afwO_MZjRjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

Raluek posted:

how do you use a vintage battery? does someone rebuild them with new plates? can you desulphate a 70-year-old battery with any hope of success? were they new old stock, stored dry?

I think he means repro "vintage". Like Coker tires.