Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

I have to say that this and similar challenges were in all WHQ editions I played.
Dice stacking to represent crawling over a rickety bridge, pulling an item card out from between two stacked dice without making them fall to represent traps, for me were a breath of fresh air. they made the game more fun with a group.
Instead of a "roll 4+ to cross the bridge or to avoid trap" thing.

Silver Tower had riddles, and that was fuckin amazing. I want some silly poo poo in my dungeon crawl.

I think the best of both worlds would be to include "silly poo poo", but also have alternatives for those who have some function variation that makes said silly poo poo impossible. In this case a simple option to either roll a 4+ or challenge the might of the stacked dice to disarm the trap. It's like including colour separation as the only way to distinguish two things, it fucks over colour blind for no reason. Such as having a red or a green circle, instead of a red diamond or a green square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

lilljonas posted:

It's like including colour separation as the only way to distinguish two things, it fucks over colour blind for no reason. Such as having a red or a green circle, instead of a red diamond or a green square.

Yeah I understand what you mean. I am, coincidentally red-green colour blind ...

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

I didn't dig through anything. I was there for that magically hilarious post. Like if Joe actually got a probe for it can I see the reason? Cuz that would be a probe so bad it would make the old GBS Genesplicer Anti Krusty probes seem more valid.

Anyhow some mofo said my Oldhams was stolen Valor and I will not stand for this.

(Yes that is a 2nd ed Blood Bowl Styrofoam pitch.)

Anyone else wanna doubt my Hams credentials?

But in more recent SG kinda game sphere I uhh.. got a little carried away today:

Its kinda funny that finding Beastgrave for 30 bucks on clearance a few weeks back has made me pick up so much already. Now I've got 3 different starter boxes and one stand alone warband plus the card pack. And there are like 3 or 4 other warbands I want. I might have a problem.

A shame about the giant seam lines right up in your face though. The Sigmarines actually look pretty rad otherwise. But apparently they are all low tier in gameplay with that Mollog practically being EASY MODE by the few Underworlds interested sites and podcasts I peruse. Luckily for my wallet I didn't see the new Vampires or the Steampunk Dwarfs today otherwise I would have bought at least one of the two.

I guess GW getting colored plastic and ok snap fit technology is good enough for them. I mean its stuff model kits I built in 1982-3 when I was 7 or 8 had and it was good then right? :negative:

Edit: vvvvv As if my posts alone haven't made that obvious? Its the name of my 2nd edition CSM Commander, Captain Rufus Landale of the Eternal Decay Chapter. Back in the days when GW game balance was so open and full of holes you could drive that old Space Shuttle transport thing through them. Now its merely a VW Bug. Vvvvvvv

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Captain Rufus posted:

I didn't dig through anything. I was there for that magically hilarious post. Like if Joe actually got a probe for it can I see the reason? Cuz that would be a probe so bad it would make the old GBS Genesplicer Anti Krusty probes seem more valid.

Anyhow some mofo said my Oldhams was stolen Valor and I will not stand for this.

(Yes that is a 2nd ed Blood Bowl Styrofoam pitch.)

Anyone else wanna doubt my Hams credentials?

But in more recent SG kinda game sphere I uhh.. got a little carried away today:

Its kinda funny that finding Beastgrave for 30 bucks on clearance a few weeks back has made me pick up so much already. Now I've got 3 different starter boxes and one stand alone warband plus the card pack. And there are like 3 or 4 other warbands I want. I might have a problem.

A shame about the giant seam lines right up in your face though. The Sigmarines actually look pretty rad otherwise. But apparently they are all low tier in gameplay with that Mollog practically being EASY MODE by the few Underworlds interested sites and podcasts I peruse. Luckily for my wallet I didn't see the new Vampires or the Steampunk Dwarfs today otherwise I would have bought at least one of the two.

I guess GW getting colored plastic and ok snap fit technology is good enough for them. I mean its stuff model kits I built in 1982-3 when I was 7 or 8 had and it was good then right? :negative:

Edit: vvvvv As if my posts alone haven't made that obvious? Its the name of my 2nd edition CSM Commander, Captain Rufus Landale of the Eternal Decay Chapter. Back in the days when GW game balance was so open and full of holes you could drive that old Space Shuttle transport thing through them. Now its merely a VW Bug. Vvvvvvv

:patriot:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

GW is not a Bond villain sitting in a lair beneath Castle Rock plotting methods to scam customers and twirling a moustache, while punting puppies into an incinerator.

again, nobody is saying this, knock this poo poo off

they're just varying degrees of incompetent and obnoxiously corner-cutting and profit-seeking, that's annoying enough

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Cease to Hope posted:

again, nobody is saying this, knock this poo poo off

they're just varying degrees of incompetent and obnoxiously corner-cutting and profit-seeking, that's annoying enough

Thank you, this sums up what I’ve been trying to respond to the hyperbolic nonsense.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I don't even think anyone is saying Joe is even wrong, I don't think he's ever said a non factual thing about GW ever

It's the speed and the fervour that he goes to bat for a major corporation that is the loving weird part

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Hah, so I guess like at most places, Cursed City sold out in almost all LGSs (its a really short list) in my country rather quickly. But one of them only got their shipment yesterday, they started selling them today.
With a 50% markup compared to the other stores. :capitalism:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm glad I only got it to paint the minis and MAYBE have a new game, as so far the reviews have not been great.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
Was choosing between cursed city being great or buying direchasm to try and lure my wife's way in to AOS. Glad I went the cheap route.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

The current situation is far more interesting, abnormal, and potentially dire than reflexively hostile hyperbole does justice.

The second best performing company on the FTSE over the last decade just told its customers that there will be no new toys for a fortnight because everything is hosed. That's astonishing.

Depending on just where the main issue lies this could smooth out again in short order, or if instead this is down to a fundamental problem related to Brexit and trade deals that could mean bad times for the Boxed Games resurgence.

This is the key point IMO. There's a lot else going on and the circumstances are weird and fascinating. Lots to watch out for in the next little while

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Given that so much of the hobby is headquartered in the UK, it really is going to be a fascinating year.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I got the new Underworlds starter set since I liked the playthrough vids and wanted to get into it, though I thought it was very stupid that the set apparently doesn't come with stuff you'd need for other warbands i.e. the rules, token, and dice for Spells. I guess they left it out since neither included warband uses it but it was annoying to get the other stuff left out of it via ebaying 20 bux for somebody's spare Direchasm tokens/rulebook.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Huh. That is weird that they didn't just throw everything in, but I can kind of see it from a "this is strictly an introduction set." Though you would think they would allow for magic and stuff at some point, if nothing else, in advanced rules. I can't remember exactly what the Dreadfane set came with, but the objective spaces were printed on the board, so maybe it didn't come with everything either.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Yeah, Dreadfane also included only what you needed to play with what was in the box, and I think that's the idea with the Starter Set, as berzerkmonkey says. (What they want you to do, of course, is buy the whole Direchasm box after dipping your toes in with the Starter Set. Whether that's a reasonable ask is a fine thing to ask, though.)

You can get the full rules here, and can use any old thing for tokens, so all you're really missing are the magic dice - which is not trivial as the only way to get magic dice outside of a core set ATM is the grand alliance dice packs, which are expensive and also terrible hard-to-read dice.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Damnit, reply is not edit.

Judging from the labels on the packaging, I think they're using actual leftover Shadespire dice in the Starter Set, is what I wanted to add.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Giant Ethicist posted:

Yeah, Dreadfane also included only what you needed to play with what was in the box, and I think that's the idea with the Starter Set, as berzerkmonkey says. (What they want you to do, of course, is buy the whole Direchasm box after dipping your toes in with the Starter Set. Whether that's a reasonable ask is a fine thing to ask, though.)

You can get the full rules here, and can use any old thing for tokens, so all you're really missing are the magic dice - which is not trivial as the only way to get magic dice outside of a core set ATM is the grand alliance dice packs, which are expensive and also terrible hard-to-read dice.

I guess it's my own fault for not seeing how this box is technically a "beginner set" and not like the actual "base sets" since the instructions state at the end of the booklet "now buy Direchasm!" Either way I managed to get the entire Direchasm contents (sans miniatures) for very cheap on ebay so it's fine. Just weird how they couldn't bother to do something as simple as including the spell dice, scatter token, and rules for hazard hexes/spells in the instructions. Seems like it'd be a very easy thing to throw in.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

DLC Inc posted:

I guess it's my own fault for not seeing how this box is technically a "beginner set" and not like the actual "base sets" since the instructions state at the end of the booklet "now buy Direchasm!" Either way I managed to get the entire Direchasm contents (sans miniatures) for very cheap on ebay so it's fine. Just weird how they couldn't bother to do something as simple as including the spell dice, scatter token, and rules for hazard hexes/spells in the instructions. Seems like it'd be a very easy thing to throw in.

That "beginner set" seems to be a box of leftover stuff. Uses Shadespire dice, boards from Shadespire/Nightvault, and two warbands that are both previously released "Easy to Build" miniatures available separately, or in old AoS starter boxes and even the AoS magazine.
They did print cards for the two warbands so there is that. Dreadfane at least had its on separate board as well.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Yeah but they are really nice minis in spite of my issues of seams I have mentioned.

I'm not sure how I feel about the brown tabard though. Might be too dirty and worn looking. I gotta think about it before I paint the other two next week. Maybe I'll leave the vambraces alone and go with a nice dark blue or light turquoise? As is it took me about 3 hours to paint though I dont think I've touched a brush much for well over a year or more.

But the Dreadfane (msrp 50) and new 2p Starter (60) are more pick up compared to the S4 core at 75. Not that it should remotely be 75 but GW gonna GW. 50 is what they should cost I think. They would probably get more players that way. In my decades of GW play the starter price sticker shock alone usually sends most people packing. Once tools and paints and army books and such get factored in its uhh.. yeah.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Captain Rufus posted:

Yeah but they are really nice minis in spite of my issues of seams I have mentioned.

I built the same set a couple days ago and the gaps are appalling. Unfortunately my job of greenstuffing the gaps was even more appalling, as my primer coat showed.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I built the same set a couple days ago and the gaps are appalling. Unfortunately my job of greenstuffing the gaps was even more appalling, as my primer coat showed.

Clip those drat pegs. What happens is that the tolerances are so small that if any glue gets into them, it results in gaps. Add to this, if the pegs aren't exactly at the correct angle, you're going to get gaps. Either clip them off entirely, or clip the socket along the long axis so you still have the guide and support.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

Clip those drat pegs. What happens is that the tolerances are so small that if any glue gets into them, it results in gaps. Add to this, if the pegs aren't exactly at the correct angle, you're going to get gaps. Either clip them off entirely, or clip the socket along the long axis so you still have the guide and support.

God I wish I knew this before I started building Cursed City.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ugh, torn between scraping off the GS, clipping the pegs and just gluing these guys back together or not. I just got them off eBay for cheap practice, but I know the bad'y filled gaps will drive me crazy.

Anyways, taking inspiration from GuardianOfAsgaard and some other dude off twitter, I swapped in some Nighthaunt weapons for the typical giant ridiculous Stormcast ones and like the look much better.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
One thing I don't understand with regards to BSF and now probably Cursed City, is they never released a Bestiary deck. Most people buying the games have other models, if line to include some other AoS models into the city and go full Castlevania.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wonder if the Cursed City and Indominus sellouts will eventually lead to pre-production presales, like kickstarter only more reliable.

Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

One thing I don't understand with regards to BSF and now probably Cursed City, is they never released a Bestiary deck. Most people buying the games have other models, if line to include some other AoS models into the city and go full Castlevania.

Even more interesting that they did this for Silver Tower and that card pack is as rare as hens teeth. Part of me want to say that its because selling just card packs for the figures does not increase figure sales (I mean why are Warcry card packs so limited run?!), but people are buying the bloody 100 euro sky ship thing to represent the Adamant in Cursed City and everyone is buying Suffocating Gravetide markers from the 65 euro Malign Sorcery box. (Hell even I looked at these because I'm an addict.)

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
That clipping the socket long axis rec is pure gold; I've been unhappy with my skelly's so far and this should help fix that.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

moths posted:

I wonder if the Cursed City and Indominus sellouts will eventually lead to pre-production presales, like kickstarter only more reliable.

They do do runs like that for some stuff already. It's become semi-standard for the limited edition models , and has been used for situations like Indomitus where they need to address higher than expected demand, but don't want to overproduce. So I wouldn't be surprised for it to become more common as a remedy option.

As an overall model though lead time between order and delivery might be an issue for marketing. And a big problem with pre-produciton sales like that is you either risk filling all your demand before the product gets to retailers, and so they become reticent to carry your stock (which is a real issue with the Kickstarter model). Or you miss out on the casual walk-in sales because you under-produced.

The Baumann
Jun 2, 2013

En Garde, Fuckboy

They do do runs like that for some stuff already. It's become semi-standard for the limited edition models , and has been used for situations like Indomitus where they need to address higher than expected demand, but don't want to overproduce. So I wouldn't be surprised for it to become more common as a remedy option.

As an overall model though lead time between order and delivery might be an issue for marketing. And a big problem with pre-produciton sales like that is you either risk filling all your demand before the product gets to retailers, and so they become reticent to carry your stock (which is a real issue with the Kickstarter model). Or you miss out on the casual walk-in sales because you under-produced.

It probably works best the way they did it for indomitus then, just they need to have a bigger initial supply ready.

Have your hyped up release, and when it sells out do made to order. If you buy it at release great, but if you miss out you can still get it you just may have to wait a long time.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

TurdBurgles posted:

That clipping the socket long axis rec is pure gold; I've been unhappy with my skelly's so far and this should help fix that.

You can get a similar effect for easier by just shortening the pegs and clipping them at an angle. Easier and doesn't risk you crushing the socket and loving up the join.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Even more interesting that they did this for Silver Tower and that card pack is as rare as hens teeth. Part of me want to say that its because selling just card packs for the figures does not increase figure sales (I mean why are Warcry card packs so limited run?!), but people are buying the bloody 100 euro sky ship thing to represent the Adamant in Cursed City and everyone is buying Suffocating Gravetide markers from the 65 euro Malign Sorcery box. (Hell even I looked at these because I'm an addict.)

I think the card packs were just a stop gap until they could get those army books out.

And they did an upgraded card pack for BSF with enemy cards to make the AI present more of a challenge.

I might just end up making some myself once I get a feel for the game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

It turns out cursed city can summon the malice/benevolence seesaw of whq 95. Radman showing up turn 1 is harsh, but he bumped out the vargskyr thank gently caress :pray:

We knew we weren't going to win after that start, several nighttime approaches events and more bad luck, but the cherry on top is going to loot one last time on the way out and discovering what that undead cat miniature is for.

gently caress that cat. Cat spoilers It spawns as far away as possible from heroes (so behind reinforcing mobs trailing in), while its on the board everyone is fatigued, all of their dice become 1s, until you touch the cat.

Level 2 is looking a lot harder and the game is a lot better for it.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Finished up some projects. I think these qualify as "Specialist" as far as I care.

I did end up magnetizing Treebeard and the Hobbits, but I don't think it's necessary. They fit very snugly.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
oh poo poo is that Gorkamorka content???

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
The Murderlords walk

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Moola posted:

oh poo poo is that Gorkamorka content???

Sorta! The Rokket Buggy is of course, but that's something I painted ages ago. I just got around to buying and painting the limited edition Gorzag that came out earlier this year. The box says 'Warhammer 40,000' on it but come on it's a Gorkamorka model.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I really wish they'd bring back Gorkamorka, easily my fav Spec Game

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Moola posted:

I really wish they'd bring back Gorkamorka, easily my fav Spec Game

It's baffling to me that there isn't another game that ever did what it did. Gaslands looks like a good car simulator, but it doesn't have the skirmish fighting, and most of the skirmish games to come out since either lack vehicles or have vehicles in significantly reduced roles.

I know Gorkamorka isn't perfect (Andy Chambers admitted it was rushed to make the release date so some of the mechanics were undercooked) but really it is the perfect blend of vehicular combat and gang level skirmish. Plus it has a kickin' rad attitude and setting.

It's a bit surprising that no one has even attempted a true Mad Max game. Maybe Furiosa will be the right spark to get creator's interested in pursuing the license since Kickstarter is so much more standard as a game launching platform than it was when Fury Road came out. But even then that was 2015. Kind of surprised we only got a couple of video games.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I won't say we'll never see a new Gorkamorka, especially with the range of Ork vehicles now available, but it would not surprise me in the least if there are still senior people at GW who will go to their graves refusing to green light it.

Good game, but it almost sank the company, and did single-handedly kill Specialist Games first time round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

I won't say we'll never see a new Gorkamorka, especially with the range of Ork vehicles now available, but it would not surprise me in the least if there are still senior people at GW who will go to their graves refusing to green light it.

Good game, but it almost sank the company, and did single-handedly kill Specialist Games first time round.

Was it just they printed too many boxes or something else? Deeply loved Gorkamorka even if it was random as all hell.