Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Haramstufe Rot posted:

no I get that it's a systemic issue, obviously. I'm still gonna be mad at England tho, in broad strokes. Unfair as that may be. Germany doesn't do that bullshit, and Bayern still makes money. Heck, they even have decent players without being 1.2 billion in debt lmao.

Oh ok so you're just here to be a prick about it and make some jibes about the English

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys
There is no way Barca or Real Madrid backs out unless the project is clearly falling apart already. There's been some murmuring about City and Chelsea not being fully as on board as everyone else, so I expect they'll be the first to abandon ship if this starts to look like a losing bet.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Haramstufe Rot posted:

no I get that it's a systemic issue, obviously. I'm still gonna be mad at England tho, in broad strokes. Unfair as that may be. Germany doesn't do that bullshit, and Bayern still makes money. Heck, they even have decent players without being 1.2 billion in debt lmao.

Bayern are not in debt because they get rammed with hundreds of millions of euros of corporate subsidy from a range of pet companies. The moral dividing line that their massive cash injections come from the insurance industry instead of the oil industry doesn't seem that clear.

Also if this is actually, meaningfully successful they will 100% join lol.

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Bundy posted:

Oh ok so you're just here to be a prick about it and make some jibes about the English

Well I do think that the PL started all this bullshit. I don't really think you personally are responsible. However, if I can't be a dick to the English anymore, Football is truly dead.

peanut- posted:

Bayern are not in debt because they get rammed with hundreds of millions of euros of corporate subsidy from a range of pet companies. The moral dividing line that their massive cash injections come from the insurance industry instead of the oil industry doesn't seem that clear.

Also if this is actually, meaningfully successful they will 100% join lol.

The difference is probably that Bayern execs are too incompetent, not that they are unwilling.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
my impression was that this was driven forward mainly by the spanish superclubs in conjunction with the glazers and juventus, with everyone else mostly along for the ride and the promise of free cash?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Apparently the source for Perez's claim that "young people think games are too long" is the figures for people watching highlights on youtube, loving hell that's not because the games are too long it's because they're too expensive you dickhead

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

V. Illych L. posted:

my impression was that this was driven forward mainly by the spanish superclubs in conjunction with the glazers and juventus, with everyone else mostly along for the ride and the promise of free cash?

its real + american owners basically. I have no idea what this guys source is because he's a political journalist but he's also one of the few in the UK to actually break stories instead of being a stenographer

https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1384454232867233792?s=20

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

Well it seems my extremely informed deep dive analysis of the situation was entirely wrong and it is, in fact, the exact opposite.

heh

Edit: Being a dick to the Spanish isn't as much fun tho :-(

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
cool and good

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alexwickham/status/1384464497553911808?s=20

Having a desperately populist PM might work out well for once.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
IT'S HERE LADS

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They could probably make a poo poo ton of TV revenue just by not following the Champion's League schedule of airing games at 3 in the morning in East Asia/Southeast Asia

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
me stakeholders!!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Vando posted:

me stakeholders!!

what can i say man, i live for the bantz

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

He's taken it offline! :vince:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

quote:

The notion that a puffed up group of clubs could form a breakaway motivated by greed was abhorrent to the Premier League
:discourse:

Haramstufe Rot
Jun 24, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbxvgwvaX_4

dis good

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
That "enjoy all the dead rubbers" jibe from Squires made me think of how they'll have to have the playoffs going down to like 14th place in some kind of convoluted tortured system to make the bottom half of the table relevant. Of course this will make the whole league a dead rubber as finishing in a higher spot will become relatively meaningless.

Or maybe they are banking on Spurs vs Athletico battling for 13th place as being a major draw.

I'm guessing all the refs will be nobbled to make sure Real, Man U and Juve finish in the top 3.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lots of spirited discussion itt, lots of new posters and so on. Gigi, if you need an IK to manage it all I'm standing bye.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The more I’m thinking about this the more loving pissed off I am. I hope someone blows up an empty stadium

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

oliwan posted:

Lots of spirited discussion itt, lots of new posters and so on. Gigi, if you need an IK to manage it all I'm standing bye.

Thank you oliwan I will let you know if you need to autoban :twisted:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bundy posted:

As for "English" not a single one of the ownerships bar Spurs are based in or are from England.

Technically Spurs ownership is based out of the Bahamas, so it's CONCACAF fuckery all the way down

Heavy suggestions that if anyone's going to get cold feet, it's City and Chelsea, not particularly because of any great moral concerns about the good of the game but because their ownership doesn't actually need the additional revenue and aren't willing to be dragged down if this can't ride out the PR impact

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

But seriously other than the guy who was unaware of the existence of Portuguese this thread has been good. Thank you everyone.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It still amazes me, as a long suffering Carlisle fan, that many of those clubs that used to come up here with the begging bowls to "save our club" are now members of the Prem.

It makes me hopeful that we will not always be the whipping boys of the north.

This ESL is antithetical to such a hope. It is never going to happenThe cynicism of it it spectacular.

oliwan posted:

It's coming home.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

nah james corden can gently caress off the stupid fat oval office

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Looke posted:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Guarantee the talk from Perez of shorter games means they're going for four 15 minute quarters, but the broadcast stays the same length because the cut 30 minutes is now ad breaks, just like all the other American sports

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Looke posted:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Looke posted:

:hmmyes:

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

No idea though how much of the City/Chelsea thing is legit and how much of it is Sky trying to generate a wedge via their friends at UNNAMED SOURCE

It's not like Chelsea has a real board that's going to vote on this poo poo, and iirc even people who work for the club seem to speak to Abramovich once a year and deal with his PA the rest of the time so I somehow doubt he's giving regular briefings to Helen Chamberlain

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Brexit Means Brexit

https://twitter.com/john_vassiliou1/status/1384470568028700674?s=20

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

NTRabbit posted:

Guarantee the talk from Perez of shorter games means they're going for four 15 minute quarters, but the broadcast stays the same length because the cut 30 minutes is now ad breaks.

I don't see that happening at least initially but I can see 'Tactical Timeouts' like in the IPL to shoehorn more ads in. poo poo is hosed if we're hoping for the owners of Chelsea & Man City to see sense.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

FullLeatherJacket posted:

No idea though how much of the City/Chelsea thing is legit and how much of it is Sky trying to generate a wedge via their friends at UNNAMED SOURCE

It's not like Chelsea has a real board that's going to vote on this poo poo, and iirc even people who work for the club seem to speak to Abramovich once a year and deal with his PA the rest of the time so I somehow doubt he's giving regular briefings to Helen Chamberlain

I imagine the threat of being chucked out of this year's CL was not something they thought of

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I've already seen the tide turn a bit with Barca fans online who are buying into the narrative that they were forced into doing this and that they don't like it but understand how it was inevitable. My instinct is to say it's all bullshit and they would do this even if they weren't so in debt, but I also see how scared some people are of Madrid getting a leg up and loving them on the next tv deal the way the two of them gently caress everyone else at the moment. Personally, I think they are gutless and wish they stuck to more moral behaviour like human trafficking and embezzlement, but such is life. Either way, it sucks seeing one of the grossest parts of North American sports (empathizing with the owners/executive class) become more popular amongst fans.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

can't believe brexit saved football

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lol if it's because liverpooshited said "nah it'll be fine" to the two English clubs still in the CL

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

https://twitter.com/jimpallotta13/status/1384317932654800898?s=21

This is Roma’s former owner, another American businessman who sold the team this year (to another American businessman). It’s weird to see him have this opinion, though I’m sure it’s just a nice PR move.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Vando posted:

can't believe brexit saved football

It’s staying home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Vegetable posted:

They could probably make a poo poo ton of TV revenue just by not following the Champion's League schedule of airing games at 3 in the morning in East Asia/Southeast Asia

they're absolutely going to make even more money by holding the games themselves in beijing and new york and melbourne and wherever