Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

pwn posted:

You can put multiple photos in one post

Or even multiple posts in one photo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

but dont ever put multiple photos into multiple posts of one post.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

dorium posted:

but dont ever put multiple photos into multiple posts of one post.

Glad we got that straightened out now.

ED: I always get sort of a War of the Worlds feeling from this one

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 20, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Man, I hope to have a collection as big as yours some day. :)

Bummed I missed out on this one! Here's hoping for a reprint.

https://shop.yungbae.com/products/yung-bae-bae-5-vinyl

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Read After Burning posted:

Man, I hope to have a collection as big as yours some day.

Start with this

https://www.discogs.com/The-Marked-Men-Birthday-Suits-Seven-Inches-For-Your-Ex/release/2989921

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I enjoy all of your posts.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
The other day, my dad-in-law said his...uncle? Cousin? (I forget) had the pre-edited Lynyrd Skynyrd Street Survivors album. D: He's kicking his past self for not keeping it.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Is that the one with the flames? Boomers love that album and the story behind the pulled cover, but it’s what, maybe a $25, $30 album when it’s VG? People find it and act like they’re sitting on a goldmine or some long lost treasure whenever they bring it in to shops near me.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Vapor chat:

This just went up

https://tigerbloodtapes.bandcamp.com/album/pickachu-noticed-the-weed

Immediate purchase

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Schremp Howard posted:

Is that the one with the flames? Boomers love that album and the story behind the pulled cover, but it’s what, maybe a $25, $30 album when it’s VG? People find it and act like they’re sitting on a goldmine or some long lost treasure whenever they bring it in to shops near me.

Before she passed it was one of my mother-in-law's most prized records. The thing was beat up to hell and I didn't have the heart to tell her it was worth about :10bux: tops.

Edit: Speaking of prized records I guess this is gonna end up being my personal Street Survivors cuz I bought it after listening for 30 seconds:

Ballz fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 20, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Well I’m glad I checked the thread right this moment.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I have also now purchased the weed Pokémon, everyone here is great at making me spend money.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey, kid! You wanna be cool like the rest of the gang ITT? Go pick up that weed pikachu album you loser. On vinyl, because you know it only sounds good that way.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Picked up some things from a record store on Saturday. The Ziggy Stardust was a special request from my 13-year-old daughter <3

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

God drat it. I deserve what I get for playing with fire and resubbing to this thread.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

Picked up some things from a record store on Saturday. The Ziggy Stardust was a special request from my 13-year-old daughter <3

What year is the ziggy stardust from

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CornHolio posted:

When I was a child I was a member of Columbia Record Club and that Thick as a Brick is one of the many Tull albums I picked up from their cutout bins. If I had only bought all the Kraftwerk albums in their cutouts I'd be a rich man today :-) .

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

BigFactory posted:

What year is the ziggy stardust from

It's the 2015 remaster. They had another one there but it was sixty dollars. This one was 23.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

CornHolio posted:

It's the 2015 remaster. They had another one there but it was sixty dollars. This one was 23.

That’s cool, I bet it sounds great. Mine is like a 77 or 78 re-release but I’d love to get my hands on an earlier one some day.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Y'all ever use anything special to clean up old record jackets? I have this problem more than you guys because I mostly look for old records but I bet everybody does. Anything to restore old jackets losing their sheen? I looked around and found several people spray furniture polish; lemon pledge in fact.

CornHolio posted:

From dealing with your own 13 year old I bet you get a sense of the value of the tactile experience of records especially.

ED: Grups are too busy doing important things to pay attention to record jackets

petit choux fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 20, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Y'all ever use anything special to clean up old record jackets? I have this problem more than you guys because I mostly look for old records but I bet everybody does. Anything to restore old jackets losing their sheen? I looked around and found several people spray furniture polish; lemon pledge in fact.

From dealing with your own 13 year old I bet you get a sense of the value of the tactile experience of records especially.

ED: Grups are too busy doing important things to pay attention to record jackets

You could try it on one you don’t care about and report back

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

You could try it on one you don’t care about and report back

Well I figured you guys would know better than me but I guess you don't mess with the old beat up records as much as us poor country lawyers.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Well I figured you guys would know better than me but I guess you don't mess with the old beat up records as much as us poor country lawyers.

I could see it working on a real high gloss cover, but I’d be afraid to do it on something matte. I’ve tried to clean mold off covers with bleach and water with very mixed results.

Like how euro record covers are glossy, I bet that would be ok.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Here, this is a gloss cover but not a high gloss. Before and after.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 20, 2021

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

petit choux posted:

Yeah, what I gleaned from a couple or five forums was a tiny amount of lemon pledge for glossies, just magic erasers and various types of erasers for cleaning off especially bad dirt. You saw those trashy album covers I put up here a couple days ago, I figured they were cool artwork for a dollar. But they are REALLY dirty.

ED: One thing I noticed that I'd disagree with is about using kneaded erasers, those kneaded erasers that people used to use for charcoal. They leave a almost unnoticeable residue, as do pink erasers but not as bad. My first rec would be the stadtler mars style plastic eraser.

I would definitely not use a magic eraser, it will ruin whatever you rub it on

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

the "magic" is that they're essentially fine grit sandpaper

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
If it was something valuable and it was just dirty I’d probably start with a soft paintbrush to remove as much surface dirt as I could, then maybe a very lightly damp cloth? Pledge is interesting but I’d be afraid it would stain. For sticker residue lighter fluid works great. It evaporates before it can soak the paper.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

petit choux posted:

Here, this is a gloss cover but not a high gloss. Before and after.

Sorry, edit is not quote.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

pwn posted:

You can put multiple photos in one post

I wanted to bring to your attention that I have just done that. See above post.

ED: Which, now that you mention it, I just now put a quote of two photos too!

petit choux fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 20, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Sorry, edit is not quote.

It looks better for sure. That’s with Pledge?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

It looks better for sure. That’s with Pledge?

OMG sorry no, it's Liquid Gold. They're both oily. I don't know how they contribute to yellowing.

This one I imagine has been subjected to a lot of light in its many years. The record actually looks playable once I remove the mildew off it. If it displays as much class on the cover as this I can only imagine.
Before:

After:

Can't restore color that's faded, generally, I guess. It is so fricking over the top I'm kinda glad the record appears to have survived. If I can find some white gaffers tape that might be my first inclination for the edges. Think I'll just take a pic of the vinyl for kicks in a bit, gonna spin up the old record player here in a second.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 20, 2021

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Is anyone a part of a vinyl subscription service you like or recommend. All my targeted ads are now are vinyl companies wanting me to sign up to receive exclusive records every month and while some are tempting I thought I’d access the hive mind of this thread before aligning myself with any one company in particular

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Vinyl Me, Please is probably the biggest one

I like it for the randomness, and the pressings are quality

It's pricy though

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
You also might randomly get 5 times the number of records you paid for

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Somebody had previously asked about what genre would provide a lot of EPs, which I take to mean 10" records. Might I suggest rhumba?

Looks like these may have been silkscreened. I got them for a dollar each so even if I can't play them at present, well I like the artwork. Suitable for framing, IMO.

So I imagine this is the kind of stuff you need a steel needle for:

petit choux fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 20, 2021

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Is anyone a part of a vinyl subscription service you like or recommend. All my targeted ads are now are vinyl companies wanting me to sign up to receive exclusive records every month and while some are tempting I thought I’d access the hive mind of this thread before aligning myself with any one company in particular

at this point, nah. you can usually get any exclusives from the major sub services on discogs at cost or lower if its a less popular release. coupled with the fact its pretty drat expensive and they removed most of the options that were available to earlier subscribers (I was with VMP for 5 years and would let my primary account run unabated and would jump around their other tracks whenever something piqued my interest. as far as I know they're cutting down on that and subs start at 3 months, 6 months and 12 months and are EXPENSIVE). Also factoring in that getting records pressed is becoming even more delayed and costly, unless we see a flattening of the timelines for pressings to be done and manufacturing to catch up to demand, giving people 3 months worth of cash for records that, with at least VMP's history, if a pressing comes out screwy for whatever reason youre looking at long long times of receiving the product as promised. just doesnt seem worth it to me now to get involved with a sub service.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Turntable Kitchen has a super dumb gimmick but you get a 7” in the mail every month from someone you probably haven’t heard of. Most of them suck, but every once in a while you’d get a good one, at least when I was a member.

At least for me the fun of a subscription service is getting exposed to music I’ve never heard before. I feel like I wouldn’t be surprised if VMP re-issued Billy Joel’s Greatest Hits some month coming up.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

BigFactory posted:

I could see it working on a real high gloss cover, but I’d be afraid to do it on something matte. I’ve tried to clean mold off covers with bleach and water with very mixed results.

Like how euro record covers are glossy, I bet that would be ok.

My way of dealing with mold is a very light spritz of lysol disinfectant spray and then I wipe it down. Even if this doesn't remove the stain or whatever it will kill the mold spores.

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Subscription services are dumb and I'm saying this as someone who has all but less than half a dozen Third Man Records Vault packages since 2009.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Is there anyplace I can look up the copyright status of old recordings (vinyl records in this case)? I have a bunch of old records from a lot of obscure labels that vanished years ago. Wondering what the legal status of sampling or even ripping in full and sharing if it's expired?