Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echi...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice post, very clever way to do that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

is there a good tool to remesh a lovely triangle mesh into something with quads?

this screenshot is in rhino but imported from blender.

#1 at left, i started with a letter "o" imported from an svg file, two curve objects, and made it into a mesh. ran beautify and degenerate dissolve on it but that's the best i could get. lovely topology.

next we have #2, extruded that mesh in blender to generate a solid with the same lovely topology.

#3 is that extruded object with the remesh modifier, octree depth 4 and scale 0.965. it's a little better but still ehhhhh. it still produces weird glitches when i apply the bevel modifier to the edges, which is ultimately my goal. just round off all the corners a little.

last on the right is what you get by taking the lovely blender #2 triangle mesh and running rhino's quadRemesh command on it. looks awesome.

does blender have an equivalent to the rhino command?

e: using face -> tris to quads does very little, if anything, at any stage

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mate
here's some things I did while I was in the dungeon

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1380279195712974852?s=20
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1380405110338154505?s=20
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1380881713044152323?s=20
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1381019387407302656?s=20
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1377131659812691969?s=20
I super like how this last one turned out. one of Kirk Rodwood's greatest hits.
It was somewhat an accident, I was working with a dirt texture in the roughness node, and accidentally inverted it, which gave it this totally steamed look. then I subtracted a splash to make that part clear. and had bright rear end colours behind it because of course. and when I put the text there it went back to front but I liked it. I love that DIN font.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

does blender have an equivalent to the rhino command?

not out of the box. that end result is glorious. like crafted by satan himself.

retopology is it's own field it seems, there's plenty of plugins of probably varying effectiveness and likely some better than others for some situations.

why wondering?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

while i rarely say it i really like your stuff but that last one is amazing

it feels like it should be some music album's cover

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yes! great work as always. did you scan that pottery yourself?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo no lol

https://sketchfab.com/search?q=malopolska&sort_by=-relevance&type=models

some museum dropped a load of scans.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Hello, thread!

After learning the basics of Blender with the help of just an amazing amount of free online resources (honestly very nice community), I figured I'd give hard surface modelling a try!

Problem is, I didn't know where to start, so instead I grabbed a copy of Rachel's Sci-Fi Icosphere course ( https://www.creativeshrimp.com/modeling-sci-fi-sphere-in-blender ) and gave it a stab.

I won't lie, my render is VERY close to Rachel's own, because I pretty much followed step by step, made my own colour choices, realised they looked horrible, and made them more like hers.

Anyway, learned some neat modelling tricks, got to use HardOps for the first time (fun addon!), and feel inspired to actually go dream up and create my own models now!

EEVEE render: (as the course suggests)

Bonus Cycles render (but with no optimisation for changing the render engine, so it looks overly washed out by the area lights, oops)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zlodo posted:

while i rarely say it i really like your stuff but that last one is amazing

it feels like it should be some music album's cover

thankyou very much my dude

with images like this, I tend to think about it like I am setting up a product photoshoot, in this case textured glass in front of some lights, rather than than making 3d stuff. in this sense using it like a glorified photoshop.

can photoshop let you do something like have a mask that lets you control the strength of an effect? because if you could have a mask that controlled the size of the blur per pixel you could do this in photoshop.
(I know you could use photoshop to control the strength of the mix of a blurred copy but that’d look quite different)

this is why the future is nodes. without nodes image processing is barely better than hitting some rocks with some burnt sticks

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Bluemillion posted:

Is this what you're going for? After you make your pillow, save a copy of the scene, then apply all the modifiers. May as well set origin to geometry so your origin point is centered after the cloth sim drops the object down. Then select the edge where you want the welt, duplicate, then separate. Parent it to the pillow, then convert to curve. Then create a short, small cylinder with no endcaps. (Or any other shape you want to use for a welt, you could get fancy here.) Then put an array modifier or the cylinder. Then add a curve modifier. Pick your curve as the curve, then set deform axis to z. Go back to the array modifier. Click the merge option. Choose the relative offset option. Set Z to 1, all others to 0. Under Fit type select fit type fixed count and run that up until it goes all the way around. I ran into some kind of problem with fixed curve. Scale and translate (translate will move the welt out so it's not half inside the pillow) the cylinder object itself until your welt looks like you want it. Save another copy, apply the modifiers on the cylinder, then join the two. Hard part is gonna be the UV editing. EDIT: Uh, wait. It would be a LOT easier to do the UV editing before the simulations. I could maybe make a duplicate welt object and transfer the UV map from that? EDIT2: I've got to walk away from this project for tonight. Maybe there's some geometry node hanky panky that would allow for for some procedural hijinks? I dunno.

ha yep, you ran into the problem I had (though your array looks much nicer than my solidify). I think its just too much effort to care about. Thanks though, I appreciate it!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echinopsis posted:

why wondering?

i'm trying to come up with a simple and free pathway for the graphic design students to make renderings of 3d text. they keep taking the solidworks course we offer to try to learn to do kinetic typography or w/e but that's not what solidworks is for and it doesn't really serve their needs. blender is appealing obviously because it's free, and because it has everything built in for modeling, rendering and animation.

so far the method is:

- make your cool graphic design in illustrator (so you have proper control over fonts and kerning and whatnot)
- export as svg, import to blender
- convert all curves to meshes
- extrude meshes
- run a bunch of decimation and merging and welding operations to try to fix the ways the meshes are hosed up
- continue on to rendering.

it's that curve-to-mesh step that is the real killer and idk why it makes such garbage output. can usually get away with the above method if you don't do anything else to the text. but i try to put the bevel modifier on them to make the renders look a little more realistic, and boom it all explodes

also i am new to polygon modeling. this kind of stuff is trivial in rhino, and also has perfect results because it's all nurbs, but rhino costs money and blender nurbs tools look pretty weak

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 21, 2021

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Sagebrush posted:

i'm trying to come up with a simple and free pathway for the graphic design students to make renderings of 3d text. they keep taking the solidworks course we offer to try to learn to do kinetic typography or w/e but that's not what solidworks is for and it doesn't really serve their needs. blender is appealing obviously because it's free, and because it has everything built in for modeling, rendering and animation.

so far the method is:

- make your cool graphic design in illustrator (so you have proper control over fonts and kerning and whatnot)
- extrude meshes
- run a bunch of decimation and merging and welding operations to try to fix the ways the meshes are hosed up

it's that curve-to-mesh step that is the real killer and idk why it makes such garbage output. can usually get away with the above method if you don't do anything else to the text. but i try to put the bevel modifier on them to make the renders look a little more realistic, and boom it all explodes

also i am new to polygon modeling. this kind of stuff is trivial in rhino, and also has perfect results because it's all nurbs, but rhino costs money and blender nurbs tools look pretty weak

The key here is limited dissolve, as per Echi's text tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbMpZpG9gg

Also for something like you're doing, you could probably do a bevel in a shader, instead of actual geometry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBpBWSw1rEc

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 21, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Friend posted:

ha yep, you ran into the problem I had (though your array looks much nicer than my solidify). I think its just too much effort to care about. Thanks though, I appreciate it!

just UV project from view :twisted:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Jenny Agutter posted:

just UV project from view :twisted:

Problem with that is, the sides of the pillow are vertical, so you end up with stretching. And if the fabric texture isn't wrapped right, it doesn't look like the pillow is actually made from it. Maybe something could be done with good use of seams?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sagebrush posted:

so far the method is:

- extrude meshes

yeah as blue million says in the video I apply a limited dissolve as the first step after converting to mesh

but lol you don’t need to watch all my video to do that, although my video is largely about that process exactly.

but it makes pretty clean results. but I’ve forever had trouble with nice results with bevels unless you do a super tiny amount of them.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
My pillow look like a dishrag.

Seams were the answer. Created a seam along the inner edge of the welt, and completely around the corners of it. Gave me the strips I needed to do a proper UV map, which ended up looking like this:

Had to identify which sides were which with a circle select in edit mode, drag the strips over to the correct side, and rotate and scale them.
Also did a seam around the middle of the pillow itself, the same edge I used for the curve. Still not perfect, but I'm satisfied that I've got the technique down.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 21, 2021

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I'm doing Mantaflow stuff for all the steam/flame related things with my car. After finally finding a solution to an issue that apparently only me and one other person has had of Mantaflow crashing as soon as you make any change to the default variables and try to bake, I have come to this conclusion:

Gas/fluid simulation is a giant pain in the rear end and by far my least favourite part of this project. It's nice to have a finished result but goddamn, the level of fiddling to dial things in until they look right and simulate well is so tedious. I know it's just unfamiliarity with the system and another skill that I have to learn through trial and error but it feels like it's been a major block in my progress and momentum. Fortunately I'm almost done with it and can go back to animating things and modelling a scene, but it's gonna be a while before I make another flamethrower again.

Here's what I'm going with for the flamethrower VFX. There are some issues with the smoke getting culled too quickly and the flamethrower isn't a natural controlled cone shape like I wanted it to be, but if I have to stare at Mantaflow variables any longer I'm going to be reduced to a gibbering pile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jquKScUiJ8

Who am I kidding I'll come crawling back to fix it, but, but, not for a while

Not for a loving while

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

looks dangerous

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

this is fun
https://i.imgur.com/8eLI5zE.mp4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

hot chocolate high velocity 4k remaster when

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i have gone against the spirit of the thread and started learning houdini

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

Jenny Agutter posted:

sprinkles containment breach :siren:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jenny Agutter posted:

I gave it a crack recently. the potential is incredible.

I found though stuff like setting up the camera and rendering quite a challenge for whatever reason, and the built in renderer is slooooow

I suppose if you made a good decision and pirated it then you could use a good renderer or export into blender and use familiar tools

post the donut to andrew’s donut project

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I found though stuff like setting up the camera and rendering quite a challenge for whatever reason, and the built in renderer is slooooow

I suppose if you made a good decision and pirated it then you could use a good renderer or export into blender and use familiar tools

yeah there's no rendered viewport like with cycles so it takes longer to get lighting set up and looking good. but i guess you're supposed to be using it as an effects pipiline and rendering with something else anyway, which i don't think you can do with the free version. quite limiting

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the way of piping data through nodes is quite a change, giving you’re not moving just this piece of data or that, but all of it at once.

something blender nodes can’t do at all.

I look forward to more nodes in blender, and also hope blender devs use houdini a lot and get a lot of inspiration from it.

i’m still yet to play around with geometry nodes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

loving around with composting nodes

https://i.imgur.com/nVKBLLu.mp4

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Trabisnikof posted:

This is a cutscene from a 1997 PC game. A good one.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

send nodes

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

echinopsis posted:

Our vfx artists at work use houdini to create animated textures for particle effects and they can pull off some amazing things with it

Interestingly though they also often use blender to visualize meshes generated by houdini, I guess houdini's renderer may be a bit lacking

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Zlodo posted:

Our vfx artists at work use houdini to create animated textures for particle effects and they can pull off some amazing things with it

Interestingly though they also often use blender to visualize meshes generated by houdini, I guess houdini's renderer may be a bit lacking

the Houdini shader editor does seem quite powerful but until I learn the Houdini equivalent of node wranglers ctrl-shift-click it's unusable to me lol, especially with such a slow rendered viewport

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTN2eioR-sY

Final showcase of the Ghastly Martin's features before I get to work putting it all into an actual animation with scenery etc.

Deployable Roof
Portcullis Lock
Engine Gates
"Brass Bull" consecrated steam engine
Deployable Stake Launcher/Flamethrower
Halo-Gen Headlights with swivel and crucifix inset
Working shifter

I need to completely redo the gas/fire/smoke simulations for the full animation but it was such a pain in the arse that this is good enough. There's a lot of things I still need to neaten up in terms of texture work and a few things are missing their emission and so on but I'm proud of the work I've done, especially for my second major project :unsmith:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

Final showcase of the Ghastly Martin's features before I get to work putting it all into an actual animation with scenery etc.

Deployable Roof
Portcullis Lock
Engine Gates
Working shifter

I need to completely redo the gas/fire/smoke simulations for the full animation but it was such a pain in the arse that this is good enough. There's a lot of things I still need to neaten up in terms of texture work and a few things are missing their emission and so on but I'm proud of the work I've done, especially for my second major project :unsmith:

You've come a hell of a long way with this.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Songbearer posted:

don't know if you saw it but between 0:02 and 0:03 there briefly flickers something in the top of the image

if you want my advice: add ease in/ease out on your camera paths/animations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Songbearer posted:

Deployable Roof
Portcullis Lock
Engine Gates
Working shifter

looking fabulous!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bluemillion posted:

This is a cutscene from a 1997 PC game. A good one.

Thanks!!

so I watched a couple of "pixel art style in compositing nodes" youtube tutorials and that's where i got the node layout from. because the general idea is that you're trying to reduce the resolution of your data, you scale it, round it, and undo the scale. so for pixelating it, there's a specific node, but for color value you just separate out the value from hsva and use math nodes.

i was experimenting and tried the same technique for all of the hsva, but found that hue and alpha weren't really useful (which is why they're set so high, turning the effect off)

these nodes make the pixelate work: make the image small, tell the compositor you want it pixelated, scale it back up

breaking down the hsva

each of the nodes is just multiply -> round -> divide

base render is from one of the first post-donut things i did, following along this tutorial (and the other lazy tutorial on signs) and using an absolutely stupid choice of an image of chicago as the texture for everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjnyapZ_P-g

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

The Sears Tower (or whatever they call it now) is about to sing us a little song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USE86UbsV8c

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

extremely dope

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Took a little break from my doom n' gloomery of the Ghastly Martin and whipped this up in about an hour

https://i.imgur.com/oIxdQDZ.mp4

A bouncy bull (But it can be a bunch of quadrupeds I guess)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s excellent

https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1387524047093731329